BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/3/2015 2:36:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:37:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Yikes! I would have been in the truck so fast.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:38:11 AM EDT
[#2]
He needs a sandwhich.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Where's the dinner pic?!  

That's extremely cool!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:40:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Here kitty kitty...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:42:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He needs a sandwhich.
View Quote

This. Poor little mouse looks hungry.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:42:34 AM EDT
[#6]
that possum's got big ears
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:44:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember driving down international airport blvd, and traffic was backed up and down to one lane.  Finally got up to the "accident" and it was a huge bull moose just slowly cruising down the right lane.  No lane changes or anything.. Just walking straight down the lane for like a mile. Right by the Alaskan bush co.  

Bbqing out on my friends back deck, and a couple of em just cruised up to the bbq to smell what we were cookin.

Such regular encounters with all the meese was strange for me for a little bit, coming from the desert.  Their complete lack of give-a-fuck most times was crazy.  Walked down to pull gate guard one winter during an ftx.. It was cold and dark at 3am and I was walking with my head down, trying to fish my nods out of a pouch, and literally ran into a moose.  She just looked at me like 'wtf' and sauntered off.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:45:35 AM EDT
[#8]

The young ones are curious and stupid...

Didja squirt him with the hose?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:45:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

No... he was plenty pissed off already by the sound of the water spraying. My back was to him since I was hosing down the passenger wheel and was within 15' of me by the time I noticed him
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:48:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Could have been this instead

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:48:47 AM EDT
[#12]

You should've dabbed a loop over that bad boy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:49:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Fucker looks delicious. Do moose taste as good as elk?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:54:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:04:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've only ever had moose burgers while out camping outside anchorage.  They were pretty damn tasty.  

The caribou steaks were fucking delicious tho.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:06:27 AM EDT
[#16]
That's Alaska for you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:08:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Why didn't you ride him?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:12:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd have said to that moose, "As a matter of fact, I do have a moment to speak with you about Jesus!".

Though I'd probably have stuttered and all he'd have heard as he watched my ass jackrabbiting toward cover would be "JESUS!".
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:16:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.

And on an Alaska-Yukon moose, there is a whole bunch of great eating...once you pack it all out.

Its a real job, that. Most dead critters seem to get smaller when you get right next to them. This is not true with a moose.

They just get bigger. And bigger.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:23:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I so want to visit alaska
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:27:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yes.

And on an Alaska-Yukon moose, there is a whole bunch of great eating...once you pack it all out.

Its a real job, that. Most dead critters seem to get smaller when you get right next to them. This is not true with a moose.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

The older you get, the heavier they get.

I've killed at least a dozen of them and we used to just cut them in half and load them up. Now a quarter of one is a bitch to load. They always die in a hole with their legs under them too.

ETA. I used to have a vhs tape of me grabbing a 55 inch bull by the antlers.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:29:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He needs a sandwhich.
View Quote

He is the sandwhich
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:32:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No... he was plenty pissed off already by the sound of the water spraying. My back was to him since I was hosing down the passenger wheel and was within 15' of me by the time I noticed him
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know jack shit about moose - But IMLE, when a large, wild, heavily-antlered animal is head-down-and-giving-ya-the-stink-eye, it's almost never a good sign...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:32:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

This.

I'm 6'6 and straddled a downed moose to start the real work and my feet not touch the ground
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:40:20 AM EDT
[#25]
He looks like he's up to something...bad.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've killed at least a dozen of them and we used to just cut them in half and load them up. Now a quarter of one is a bitch to load. They always die in a hole with their legs under them too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

A what, now?

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:55:50 AM EDT
[#28]
backstop looks safe....  cleared for delivery
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:01:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't know jack shit about moose - But IMLE, when a large, wild, heavily-antlered animal is head-down-and-giving-ya-the-stink-eye, it's almost never a good sign...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moose are pretty mean too.  They aren't like deer/elk that are more likely to run off than to challenge you.  Moose are much more prone to go active defense.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:09:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Did he say where Rockey was?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:11:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:14:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Little Known Fact: They LOVE it when you sneak up behind them and tickle them!!!

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm guessing that's a moose?  Never seen one before.  Aren't they dangerous?

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Moose are pretty mean too.  They aren't like deer/elk that are more likely to run off than to challenge you.  Moose are much more prone to go active defense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you can do that when you weigh damn near a ton and have serrated bulldozer blades on your head and can kick a grizzly senseless when you feel like it.

Moose (the A/Y version anyway) are not to be trifled with. They rate right up there with Cape Buffalo on my list of Things Better Left Alone Unless Heavily Armed With Backup.

But they're sooo tasty...

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nah, the trick is to pet them real gently on the nose.

Then you just hop on them and ride them for a few miles.

Nice looking moose, the biggest animal you can encouter here in the wild is a reebok probably...

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

When I first showed up to my unit in Alaska, one of the first things they did was show us a video of a guy that got between a momma moose and her baby.  Momma brutally stomped the guy to death to protect her baby.

I encountered quite a few in the woods hiking and during training.  They can be dangerous, but like I said earlier, I literally walked into one with my head down in the dark not paying attention, and she just looked at me and walked away slowly.  I've been rucksack flopped and had one come out of the treeline a couple feet behind me, stop, and just turn around and went away.

I wouldn't try to get super close on purpose, cause they can definitely put a hurtin' on you, but they weren't really something to be afraid of unless they are coming right for you and don't look happy.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:33:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Nah, the trick is to pet them real gently on the nose.   Then you just hop on them and ride them for a few miles.

Nice looking moose, the biggest animal you can encouter here in the wild is a reebok probably...

http://www.droomplekken.nl/images/dp/central_balkan/Ree-met-jong.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, the trick is to pet them real gently on the nose.   Then you just hop on them and ride them for a few miles.

A roebuck? We used to have those around here

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:03:18 AM EDT
[#39]
You wash your truck?  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#40]
How much shit was in your pants afterwards?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Mmmm moose burger. B
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I remember driving down international airport blvd, and traffic was backed up and down to one lane.  Finally got up to the "accident" and it was a huge bull moose just slowly cruising down the right lane.  No lane changes or anything.. Just walking straight down the lane for like a mile. Right by the Alaskan bush co.  

Bbqing out on my friends back deck, and a couple of em just cruised up to the bbq to smell what we were cookin.

Such regular encounters with all the meese was strange for me for a little bit, coming from the desert.  Their complete lack of give-a-fuck most times was crazy.  Walked down to pull gate guard one winter during an ftx.. It was cold and dark at 3am and I was walking with my head down, trying to fish my nods out of a pouch, and literally ran into a moose.  She just looked at me like 'wtf' and sauntered off.

View Quote

Please explain.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#43]
alaskan 9
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Please explain.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain.

Perhaps nods?

Night Observation Devices. See also, NVGs, NVDs.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:42:34 AM EDT
[#45]
"Swiggity swooty. I'm comin' for that booty!"
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

A roebuck? We used to have those around here

http://www.ar15.com/media/images/xBio/296890.JPG

View Quote

I actually miss him.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Please explain.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain.

Oops.  Night vision. PVS14s... Night optical/observation device.  Not my balls or anything.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Otherwise known to us Yanks as a Roe Deer.  About half the size of a typical whitetail.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

So what you're saying is that the moose is the perfect mascot for GD.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Good thing you didn't give him a muffin.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top