Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a big fan of FF and Dave Grohl. IIRC, he was a self-taught drummer for Nirvana and then taught himself guitar when he started FF. I wish I had that kind of musical acumen and dedication.

FWIW, I like Green Day too, although they're huge libs.  Unfortunately it seems that most musicians are lefties, so I've just learned to put aside their political viewpoints so I can just enjoy the music.

Even though I'm an old guy (49), I love me some good, guitar-centric rock with aggressive drum beats.  And while DG is not a prototypical vocalist, his singing style is perfect for the type of rock FF plays.  He's a great entertainer too.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Love some Foo Fighters.  The acoustic version of Times Like These is one of the best acoustic renditions IMO.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Love some Foo Fighters.  The acoustic version of Times Like These is one of the best acoustic renditions IMO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The White Stripes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't agree.

Dave Grohl simply can't sing.   He starts out trying to sing, but by about the third verse, it's devolved into harsh screaming ("IN TIMES LIKE THESE WE LEARN TO LIVE AGAIN!!!!!!!    AAAARRRRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!).    I can't listen to it.

The songwriting?    No memorable songs here.

Guitar playing is stereotyped, guitar tones are generic.

They are a B-minus grade bar band at best.

OK.  What mainstream rock band over the past 20 or so years is better?

The White Stripes.

Stop joking around.  I'm serious.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When I'm done listening to the White Stripes I'm left thinking "boy they could use a real drummer".
View Quote

And a recording engineer that doesn't have a sponsorship deal with Miracle Ear.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice article explaining how they built themselves up to a mainstream pop/rock powerhouse by riding their Nirvana roots and creating bland music designed to appeal to everybody.

The Foo Fighters gained fans and acclaim for their process rather than their final product. First they (or rather Dave Grohl and his merry band of sycophants) rose from the ashes of a legendary (although also overrated) band and created a high-energy sound that was slightly different from that other band. So they achieved freshness and novelty. They also made the very smart move of touring small clubs with über-indie mid-‘90s bands like The Jesus Lizard and Mike Watt. According to our over-40 correspondents, the buzz surrounding the FFs’ debut tour was palpable. And they were a tight, loud, scream-heavy band, so they had all the ‘90s bases covered.

Their indie cred secured, the Fighters set off on a mighty campaign to pull in every last demographic group they could. Like his contemporary triangulator, Bill Clinton, Dave Grohl knew how to exert just the right amount of pressure on cultural signifiers. The Foo Fighters were macho: got the mosh pit crowd. For those who like to scrutinize obscure lyrics (i.e. chicks) there was a bit of that too. But nothing too weird to scare off the frat bros. They pulled in gullible insecure kids with their built-in connection to Nirvana and the indie crowd. Their supremely male sound even crossed over into the over-30 jock crowd. Suddenly you could hear Foo Fighters songs over ESPN highlight montages. And yet, despite all the corporate, overdone-steak chewiness, Davey and the boys somehow remained the darlings of the indie world. It was because they had done it the right way: through the fake grass roots. Never mind it was actually a calculated steamroller to megastardom from the start. Never mind the music was epically generic and full of emptiness.

http://www.theoverratedtimes.com/the-list/foo-fighters/
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They're fucking terrible.  I cannot stand one song they put out.  I can't pinpoint it, I think it is the shitty vocals or songwriting or generic guitar sounds but I have never liked one second of their songs.
View Quote

Something tells me you have posted Lady Gaga playing the piano vid on your FB page...more than once.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:26:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice article explaining how they built themselves up to a mainstream pop/rock powerhouse by riding their Nirvana roots and creating bland music designed to appeal to everybody.

The Foo Fighters gained fans and acclaim for their process rather than their final product. First they (or rather Dave Grohl and his merry band of sycophants) rose from the ashes of a legendary (although also overrated) band and created a high-energy sound that was slightly different from that other band. So they achieved freshness and novelty. They also made the very smart move of touring small clubs with über-indie mid-‘90s bands like The Jesus Lizard and Mike Watt. According to our over-40 correspondents, the buzz surrounding the FFs’ debut tour was palpable. And they were a tight, loud, scream-heavy band, so they had all the ‘90s bases covered.

Their indie cred secured, the Fighters set off on a mighty campaign to pull in every last demographic group they could. Like his contemporary triangulator, Bill Clinton, Dave Grohl knew how to exert just the right amount of pressure on cultural signifiers. The Foo Fighters were macho: got the mosh pit crowd. For those who like to scrutinize obscure lyrics (i.e. chicks) there was a bit of that too. But nothing too weird to scare off the frat bros. They pulled in gullible insecure kids with their built-in connection to Nirvana and the indie crowd. Their supremely male sound even crossed over into the over-30 jock crowd. Suddenly you could hear Foo Fighters songs over ESPN highlight montages. And yet, despite all the corporate, overdone-steak chewiness, Davey and the boys somehow remained the darlings of the indie world. It was because they had done it the right way: through the fake grass roots. Never mind it was actually a calculated steamroller to megastardom from the start. Never mind the music was epically generic and full of emptiness.

View Quote

Why you gota hate ?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:27:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Certainly illustrates just who  the talent really was in Nirvana
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:40:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well you see it's like this....I don't give a fat monkey turd what some critic thinks of the music I like...if it "speaks" to me...and I like it...he can go fly a kite.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:56:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Good band, I like them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#12]

I submit that the OP is 100% correct.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:27:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I was given free tickets while in the Bay area.   Went with a group...  was the worst time I've had at a rock concert in years...

I really don't like their music...  I would need to invent a word to describe my utter lack of caring for their tunes...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

A article about how a band appeals to everyone, from a source specializing in articles about how overrated everything is. How interesting.

Someone got picked last in gym class.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Watched a couple more episodes of Sonic Highways last night, finally found a tune of theirs I didn't care for.... the Seattle one. The New York song was back to solid though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Heading over to RFK stadium to see them today.  Cant wait, hopefully the rain cooperates
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much nails it.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I thought this would be a UFO or some wild Luft'46 technology.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#19]
My opinion of "best" changes with my mood . That being said, I do like the FF a lot. Dave Grohl is a talented guy.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#20]

If you have listened to both Nirvana and the Foo Fighters before, you can hear that Dave Grohl brought some of Nirvana to the Foo Fighters.  They are an excellent band, and I wouldn't disagree with OP's premise.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't understand the disdain so many people have for "music that appeals to everybody".  

Is Coca-Cola a shitty drink because so many people like it?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't understand the disdain so many people have for "music that appeals to everybody".  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.  Its a stupid mentality.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Agreed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everlong may be one of the finest rock songs ever crafted.

Agreed.

I double this!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the Foo Fighters and all, but I really don't get the concensus love for Everlong.

Explain it to me?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like the Foo Fighters and all, but I really don't get the concensus love for Everlong.

Explain it to me?
View Quote

Eberdudersunnernudesfereverrrr

Eberdudersinginudesuhgaiin [cool drums]

Edit: I think it's the drums. But honestly, Everlong came out at *just* the right time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I like Probot more.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because copycat mass-produced music designed, built, marketed, and sold by the music industry tends to be very unoffensive, unoriginal, and bland.  When I hear Foo Fighters on the radio, it's just background noise blending in with all the other flavors of the week.  Not offensive...it's just there....like a soundtrack of commuting to work in the morning.  

Music from bands that started small and grew because of an original sound really draw you in.  That's the kind of music you actually sit down and listen to.  Unfortunately, fewer and fewer bands seem to be built this way these days.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I actually agree....not metal, not punk, just good music.  I have a ton of respect for David Groll (sp?) as a musician, and he genuinely seems like a decent person.  Fan here.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Explain it to me?
View Quote

I don't get it either.  Very good song, but not their best.

Times Like These (Acoustic) is my nomination for their best, followed by The Pretender.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Because copycat mass-produced music designed, built, marketed, and sold by the music industry tends to be very unoffensive, unoriginal, and bland.  When I hear Foo Fighters on the radio, it's just background noise blending in with all the other flavors of the week.  Not offensive...it's just there....like a soundtrack of commuting to work in the morning.  

Music from bands that started small and grew because of an original sound really draw you in.  That's the kind of music you actually sit down and listen to.  Unfortunately, fewer and fewer bands seem to be built this way these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is that too many hipsters, snobs, and dorks consider "original sound" to be noise.  

But, eye of the beholder and all that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#31]
One of my favorites
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top