Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:35:44 AM EDT
https://www.lsonews.com/chronic-wasting-disease-found-medina-county-deer/

I heard about this from another deer breeder this morning but this is the first article I saw.  I wonder what the ramifications will be from this for the whitetail breeder industry in Texas.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:40:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:43:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Was he illegally importing bucks from up north?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I was wondering what was going on when TPWD sent out an email stating their website to activate permits for movement would be down and you could only move fawns from breeder facilities to bottle feeding facilities.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats sucks. A elk rancher recieved 1 infected elk in NW Kansas. Its been spreading every year now. Several counties now are finding infected deer every year.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know very unlikely, but it has been done before and they got caught.  As far as I know the buck was born in Texas.  It has got a few people rattled for sure.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:49:33 AM EDT
[#6]
CWD is bad news. It persists in the soil in an area where there is an infected herd.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:51:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't know very unlikely, but it has been done before and they got caught.  As far as I know the buck was born in Texas.  It has got a few people rattled for sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very bad news no matter how it got here.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Very bad news.  Moving cervids around needs to be STOPPED.  Period.  
View Quote

Whitetail deer are highly regulated in breeder operations we have to test a percentage of all mortalities there is a voluntary program to test all deaths.  Without the deer industry in Texas a lot of people would be out of jobs including me.  Hell we sold one doe years ago for $60,000.  We just sold $225,000 to a ranch in Mexico and that was 57 animals.  It is big business.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#10]
FPNI.

Shit, that could be bad.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I hope they go extinct. Worthless things.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:02:30 AM EDT
[#12]
You guys actually breed deer?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

No we let them do it themselves.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Whitetail deer are highly regulated in breeder operations we have to test a percentage of all mortalities there is a voluntary program to test all deaths.  Without the deer industry in Texas a lot of people would be out of jobs including me.  Hell we sold one doe years ago for $60,000.  We just sold $225,000 to a ranch in Mexico and that was 57 animals.  It is big business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The King Ranch will be flipping out.
Freer will take a hit.   I figure that town is 50/50  Oilfield/Deer hunting.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:05:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Deer "hunting" here is more agriculture than anything else. Whatever keeps me in enough venison that the chili doesn't need to be watered down with beans keeps me happy though.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Then I assume you know a lot goes on under the table for a variety of reasons. One professor was found guilty of a felony in a triangle that involved TX, MS and another state and he often worked with another professor in TX known as "Dr. Deer". 20 years ago I worked with a number of facilities and it was a how-to on how to avoid the law, taxes and a variety of other stuff. Unless they have changed things in the last 20 years, odd things happen.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:06:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes my avatar is 3 year old breeder buck from 9 years ago.  We artificially inseminate and live breed around 130 does a year.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes my avatar is 3 year old breeder buck from 9 years ago.  We artificially inseminate and live breed around 130 does a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. The only "wildlife" that is really bred around here is pheasants for canned hunts. We've got enough deer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Interesting. The only "wildlife" that is really bred around here is pheasants for canned hunts. We've got enough deer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit. The motherfuckers are everywhere, and cause millions in Damage to vehicles and crops,
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:14:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No shit. The motherfuckers are everywhere, and cause millions in Damage to vehicles and crops,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are bred for genetic reasons, not for population.
Ranches have to cull deer if they have too many.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:14:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Deer "hunting" here is more agriculture than anything else. Whatever keeps me in enough venison that the chili doesn't need to be watered down with beans keeps me happy though.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's still not known if CWD can be transferred to humans..

Enjoy that chili.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#23]
It's not just whitetails. We  have everything from Audad to Zebras being bred and sold in my county.

Just moving them from ranch to ranch is big biz.

You fellas need anything drop me a pm and I will ask my guys.

Eta... CWD has us all worried. During last catch of 40 doe,  the biologists, game officials, and pilots were all  discussing it at length.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:18:45 AM EDT
[#24]
There's deer in texas? I thought those were small dogs with antlers attached.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#25]
That's amazing.  Fucking deer are like rats up here and you guys are breeding them on pourpose!  

Deer and turkey...I'm not sure what has changed around here but in the last 5 years we have turkey running around like ticks. Yes, we have lots of ticks...they come with the deer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#26]
It is extremely unlikely that CWD can get to far in Texas outside of a breeder facility which have 8' fences and are typically on a ranch that has an 8' fence on the perimeter of the property.  

Yes we have to cull deer, bucks and does, to maintain a certain carrying capacity.  Genetics are what we are breeding for.  As I said my avatar is a 3 year old buck from 9 years ago, here is a picture of a 3 year old from 2 years ago.  Genetics have made a big leap in the last ten years.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:25:43 AM EDT
[#27]
so you have 80 pound deer with huge antlers? Sweet.  We have 250 pound deer with huge antlers naturally.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:27:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It is extremely unlikely that CWD can get to far in Texas outside of a breeder facility which have 8' fences and are typically on a ranch that has an 8' fence on the perimeter of the property.  

Yes we have to cull deer, bucks and does, to maintain a certain carrying capacity.  Genetics are what we are breeding for.  As I said my avatar is a 3 year old buck from 9 years ago, here is a picture of a 3 year old from 2 years ago.  Genetics have made a big leap in the last ten years.http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo200/pirkle55/PJ%20Big%20Iron%20%203_zpsnkhwxwix.jpg
View Quote

Whats up with that bucks cheeks?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:28:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Wouldn't mind if the herds were wiped out where this kind of hunting goes on.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:29:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Enjoy that chili.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enjoy that chili.
Fuck, the tularemia will get me first.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:32:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Fuck off.  Do you eat commercial meat?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:32:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes we have to cull deer, bucks and does, to maintain a certain carrying capacity.  Genetics are what we are breeding for.  As I said my avatar is a 3 year old buck from 9 years ago, here is a picture of a 3 year old from 2 years ago.  Genetics have made a big leap in the last ten years.http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo200/pirkle55/PJ%20Big%20Iron%20%203_zpsnkhwxwix.jpg

Nothing it is the lighting of the photo and zoomed in from 60 yards away and cropped so the other ten bucks in the picture are not in it.  He also weighed 210 pounds at 3.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:34:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:35:54 AM EDT
[#34]
In on one, I smell a shit-storm brewing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:36:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nothing it is the lighting of the photo and zoomed in from 60 yards away and cropped so the other ten bucks in the picture are not in it.  He also weighed 210 pounds at 3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, very nice bucks by the way. I wish l could afford one of your does to put on my place. I hope this case of CWD is kept in check down there. Good liuck.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:37:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have guided many people from South Carolina that do not feel the same way as you.  It is not at all a hunt like most people think the deer are not eating feed out of your hand or standing around waiting to be shot.  They have the same instincts and awareness as deer anywhere else.  These deer are not shot on 100 acre ''Preserves" like some places, ranches in Texas are in the thousands of acres.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:44:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have guided many people from South Carolina that do not feel the same way as you.  It is not at all a hunt like most people think the deer are not eating feed out of your hand or standing around waiting to be shot.  They have the same instincts and awareness as deer anywhere else.  These deer are not shot on 100 acre ''Preserves" like some places, ranches in Texas are in the thousands of acres.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^^^

The bucks that are bred on these ranches aren't hunted over feeders. They are not pets. And people pay many thousands of dollars for the opportunity to take one. May or may not even get a shot.

Regardless of that, CWD here is new. I'm thinking either that breeder did import a buck or bought one from someone who did.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:45:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Not good.  Really poor herd management.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I heard about this from another deer breeder this morning but this is the first article I saw.  I wonder what the ramifications will be from this for the whitetail breeder industry in Texas.
View Quote

If its anything like Ohio, the breeder's name is some variation of "Yoder". Those people have no regard for fish and game laws.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:48:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Famous last words . . .
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:50:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This ^^^

The bucks that are bred on these ranches aren't hunted over feeders. They are not pets. And people pay many thousands of dollars for the opportunity to take one. May or may not even get a shot.

Regardless of that, CWD here is new. I'm thinking either that breeder did import a buck or bought one from someone who did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^^^

Several thousand dollars.

Here is a price list from the King Ranch about 14 miles from me.
$6000 is where they start.
Max is $25,000
http://www.king-ranch.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Trophy_deer_hunts_prices.pdf
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:51:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If its anything like Ohio, the breeder's name is some variation of "Yoder". Those people have no regard for fish and game laws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they are not named "Yoder" but its funny to see the Amish on a cell phone and showing pedigrees on an Ipad.

CWD was found a few years ago in the wild deer herds in west Texas and practices were put into place.  The infected animals most likely came from New Mexico.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:53:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No they are not named "Yoder" but its funny to see the Amish on a cell phone and showing pedigrees on an Ipad.

CWD was found a few years ago in the wild deer herds in west Texas and practices were put into place.  The infected animals most likely came from New Mexico.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a safe bet.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:55:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Max is $25,000
http://www.king-ranch.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Trophy_deer_hunts_prices.pdf
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^^^

Max is $25,000

Well yeah.. 6 is several. And yes it goes up from there.

Hell, there's outfits charging stupid money to kill fucking hogs. And people pay it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Good luck getting a 200" buck on the King Ranch, we get calls all the time from people that have been hunting on it looking for a big buck.  $13,400 is what a 200" buck cost here and it is $250 more for every inch over 200".  I am located across the highway from the King Ranch.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:01:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Good luck getting a 200" buck on the King Ranch, we get calls all the time from people that have been hunting on it looking for a big buck.  $13,400 is what a 200" buck cost here and it is $250 more for every inch over 200".  I am located across the highway from the King Ranch.
View Quote

I live in Alice.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:01:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep for decoration.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:02:45 AM EDT
[#48]
I live close to Encino just south of the checkpoint.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:04:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I live close to Encino just south of the checkpoint.
View Quote

Ahh.  
I have seen some monsters on the  King Ranch but only while working.  I have not hunted there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:05:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know what SC has to do with your response just because I am from the state. Your hunts are manufactured and I don't care if they are on 10,000 acres. The same exact thing could be replicated here but for not having the massive areas of controlled land. Don't care that you do what y'all do but also have no sympathy if your 'herd' gets wiped out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top