Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 12:14:38 AM EDT
http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-updates-customer-reviews-with-new-machine-learning-platform/

As an author I find this interesting.  Basically, what it means to me is that people who bought my books on Amazon will mean more to my review ratings than those who bought them elsewhere, plus more recent reviews will count more, as will reviews more people found helpful.  So, if you're trying to help out an author you know (like some of the guys here, or Larry Correia, or John Ringo) you shouldn't just leave a good review for his books, you should go through the reviews and label the good ones as helpful and the bad ones as not.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I like that.
I have always thought verified purchases should have their reviews weighted higher anyway.
it will cut down on the fanbois of another book/product from bringing down another item.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I dislike it.  I don't want Amazon choosing for me which reviews to display.  I want the most recent reviews, period.  

I like how they put a "This customer is a verified purchaser" or something like that when they purchased from Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:28:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dislike it.  I don't want Amazon choosing for me which reviews to display.  I want the most recent reviews, period.  

I like how they put a "This customer is a verified purchaser" or something like that when they purchased from Amazon.
View Quote

The problem with the current method is the paid shills that leave reviews. This will help that. Plus, idiots that review the SELLER instead of the PRODUCT will get down voted and count for less.

Good move IMO
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:29:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well if a forum decides to troll the shit out of an item they haven't purchased, the average rating takes an unnecessary hit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:30:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The problem with the current method is the paid shills that leave reviews. This will help that. Plus, idiots that review the SELLER instead of the PRODUCT will get down voted and count for less.

Good move IMO
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good move IMO

Oh, I see what you're talking about, but I can weed through those myself.  I don't trust Amazon or any company to sort fairly, so I want the most recent reviews period.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Oh, I see what you're talking about, but I can weed through those myself.  I don't trust Amazon or any company to sort fairly, so I want the most recent reviews period.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good move IMO

I'd wager you can still sort the reviews to more recent, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

But some people don't review stuff right...they complain about stuff that has nothing to do with the product....
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:33:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good move IMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good move IMO

That is so fucking annoying.   "The product is awesome, but it took three days to ship, so 1star!"
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good move IMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good move IMO

Agreed.

"The fly-by-night seller who had this 87 cents cheaper than Amazon Prime took over 2 1/2 weeks to ship, and then when it arrived it didn't fit my scooter because the previous owner had done the umptysquat mod and the wiring harness no longer fits.  Very unhappy!  One star!"

Err, hey genius, how does that apply to anyone the fuck else buying this?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Kind of suprised you can even leave a review for something you didn't buy thru Amazon.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But some people don't review stuff right...they complain about stuff that has nothing to do with the product....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  
They will complain about a garmin fortrex 301 on a garmin foretrex 401 listing.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:38:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Kind of suprised you can even leave a review for something you didn't buy thru Amazon.  
View Quote

Look at Chinese camera gear.  
You can find an item that has 5 verified purchases saying it is junk, but 100 reviews saying it is a great item.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:41:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can find an item that has 5 verified purchases saying it is junk, but 100 reviews saying it is a great item.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You see this with fake micro SD cards too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I like this.

Just the other day I found a link for a URX II being sold by KAC that I had been looking for.  It only had a 2.5 star rating, so I clicked to find out why.

1 review gave it 1 star because "this product is against Amazon's policies regarding sales of Assault Weapon Parts."  The other one had a 2 star review claiming "this rail is way overpriced, it isn't even free float!"  Both obvious bullshit, but still, it makes the listing look like that of a shitty product.

It makes sense that true reviews, or at least those "favorited" as being helpful should be given more weight.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is so fucking annoying.   "The product is awesome, but it took three days to ship, so 1star!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good move IMO

My all time favorite:

"This thing does everything it's supposed to do, and the price was really good, but I don't believe in leaving 5 star reviews so 4 it is."

If someone would sell a device that would let me slap bitches through an Internet connection, I'd give that a 5 star review.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:21:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Whenever I'm buying something on Amazon. I always click on read the newest reviews first.
That's real tough.
Also I don't submit reviews for things I buy.
Unless they don't work, and are total shit.

I usually just return the item. Hell, I print our a return slip. UPS drives out to my house the next day and picks up the package.
Slaps their return label on it. Tough to beat service like that.!

I'll be damned If I'm going to take up my time, to say I liked a movie.
I just bought 6 things tonight.

But  on the other hand, if A  Blue-Ray transfer looked like a poor VHS copy. I'll slam it.
Think I left maybe 4, 1 Star ratings.

How someone can review something they didn't buy from Amazon, is beyond me.
That's just silly.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:37:32 AM EDT
[#17]
As long as they are  still showing all the reviews I am OK with it. If you are looking at the sum star rating then you are doing it wrong anyway.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As long as they are  still showing all the reviews I am OK with it. If you are looking at the sum star rating then you are doing it wrong anyway.
View Quote

True, however for a smaller purchase it's nice to be able to just go with highest rated...IMO this will allow you to do that a little more confidently.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#19]
An exception will obviously be made for controversial conservative books that need to be down voted by libs off Facebook who haven't bought it
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Good
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
An exception will obviously be made for controversial conservative books that need to be down voted by libs off Facebook who haven't bought it
View Quote

What makes you say that? Or are you just making stuff up?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like this.

Just the other day I found a link for a URX II being sold by KAC that I had been looking for.  It only had a 2.5 star rating, so I clicked to find out why.

1 review gave it 1 star because "this product is against Amazon's policies regarding sales of Assault Weapon Parts."  The other one had a 2 star review claiming "this rail is way overpriced, it isn't even free float!"  Both obvious bullshit, but still, it makes the listing look like that of a shitty product.

It makes sense that true reviews, or at least those "favorited" as being helpful should be given more weight.
View Quote

Yep...found a few 1 star reviews...'came broken'...

Yes, that could be a seller packaging issue, but could easily (and often more likely) be a shipper issue.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#23]
This will help camera reviews where a bunch of Canon fags shit all over the Nikon products and Nikon dildos shit all over the Canon stuff.

You realize a 2k FF camera has 4/5 stars, but 100 of the reviews are "Canon gives you AIDS through the eyepiece!"
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

It increases the number of reviews which makes amazon the go to site for a quick review of any product. That increases traffic.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, sounds like it should improve the ratings in theory.  Some of the reviews douchenozzles leave.  

If an item looks good, but has a mediocre rating, I'll filter and look at the 1 star reviews to see how legit the overall rating is.  ETA: 5 star reviews too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Good move IMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good move IMO

I agree, good move.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, sounds like it should improve the ratings in theory.  Some of the reviews douchenozzles leave.  

If an item looks good, but has a mediocre rating, I'll filter and look at the 1 star reviews to see how legit the overall rating is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If an item looks good, but has a mediocre rating, I'll filter and look at the 1 star reviews to see how legit the overall rating is.

Like when some fuckwits left bad reviews for the BCM Gunfighter stock because it didn't fit their airsoft rifles
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#28]
you realize this is because of what WE (ARF) did to Cuomo's book, Amazon is sucking a lot of liberal dick these days, and I'm trying to quit cold turkey.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I wouldnt mind that.... I already have to dig through reviews to find normal everyday people reviews
I like to leave honest funny reviews and my reviews get buried behind
A: paid reviews
B: idiot people complaining about dumb things... like "the cap on this toothpaste is entirely too stiff"
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

you realize this is because of what WE (ARF) did to Cuomo's book, Amazon is sucking a lot of liberal dick these days, and I'm trying to quit cold turkey.
View Quote

Beware the all-powerful ARFCOM !

FUAC!

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I scour reviews before making significant purchases, and am good about marking reviews helpful or not helpful.  

I do hate a poor review that notes shipping problems or some nitpick.  Downvote.  I want the product reviewed, pure and simple.   I find a lot of good information and gotchas from them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#32]
seems like a good move as long as i can also view a "all by most recent" if i want
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

FUAC!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUAC!

FUAC indeed!

Thanks again GD

Eta...Is there anyway to see how many copies of Cumhole's book have sold to date worldwide?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, it's not.  It's because of what a hell of a lot of people on both sides of the aisle are doing to books with which they disagree, and not just nonfiction books either.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm okay with this as long as I can see all the reviews on my books, not just the ones Amazon will choose to show me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd like to see them scrub reviews where they don't talk about the product at all.  Just complain about customer service or shipping.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol. No.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol if you really believe that
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

FUAC indeed!

Thanks again GD

Eta...Is there anyway to see how many copies of Cumhole's book have sold to date worldwide?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUAC!

FUAC indeed!

Thanks again GD

There where probably more negative reviews on amazon than actual books sold. That was a fun day.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#40]
LOL....Some of you sure make your lives complicated.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Good move IMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good move IMO

hell i say even to down or up vote you should have bought the item.

otherwise how can you agree or disagree with a review.

throw in a helped me choose vote or something.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good move IMO

Disagree with this, because I like to downvote morons that leave poor reviews for shipping. I needn't have bought the product to downvote an idiot that leaves a review that has nothing to do with the product.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Amazon is teetering on too big to fail lately.

I've had a lot of orders recently that are prime 2 day shipping only AFTER they move inventory around for 3 days, then ship it 2 day shipping.

Just tired of them messing with what used to be a good system.  It'll be interesting to see competitors rise up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've had a lot of orders recently that are prime 2 day shipping only AFTER they move inventory around for 3 days, then ship it 2 day shipping.

Just tired of them messing with what used to be a good system.  It'll be interesting to see competitors rise up.
View Quote

Wow, I wonder if it's a local thing maybe. I sometimes get orders the next day after purchase, and my Prime orders almost always ship same day. I bought a new bivvy sack and whisky glasses yesterday at like 4PM and got a shipping notification like 4 hours later. I don't think I've ever had a Prime order take over 2 business days.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

seems like the past year or so the $35 or more free shipping is taking a week or more before it ever ships
Amazon is slipping, does seem like they are forgetting what made them the giant they are now
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#46]
This is almost no change at all. I have been prime 4 years or so
verified always counted more.
recent always counted more.
this might be just a slight tweak to the sorting
4+ stars will still mean 4+ stars
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a feeling that's what you're posting about. When I went looking for those cards the other day, most the "Reviews" were shills.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I had a feeling that's what you're posting about. When I went looking for those cards the other day, most the "Reviews" were shills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. If it's larger than 200gb it IS fake 100% no questions asked, no exceptions.

If the price is too good to be true on other sizes, it is most likely fake as well.

ETA- this is another example where it's nice to be able to leave a review even if you haven't bought it, even if it is weighed less.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree. Some do not seem to know how to correctly operate tools and write one star reviews because they are stupid. I enjoy writing reviews of the things I buy because others that do help me with questions I have. Many list specs not included in the description. I'll include these as well to help others. I like Amazon and think the change will be make for a better buying experience.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top