User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hope he's ok going out of business...

The guy is a social dinosaur, putting that sign up is analogous to having a "no blacks" sign. His business, his rules and all aside, I hope he's prepared for early retirement and possible lawsuits.
View Quote

blacks = gays?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I think a good old "OWNER DISAPPROVES OF HOMOSEXUALITY" sign gets the message across fine for a hardware store.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yep. It's not like they wanna convert him to the gay side. Maybe they just want to buy, oh I don't know, some fucking paint for their fucking house?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eh, think he's stupid to turn down business, but I think it should be his right to do so.

Yep

Yep. It's not like they wanna convert him to the gay side. Maybe they just want to buy, oh I don't know, some fucking paint for their fucking house?

Yeah. It's not like he wants to become gay. Maybe he just doesn't want to sell them, oh I don't know, some fucking paint?

Why can't they be tolerant of his views?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In East TN we don't put up the shit a lot of this country does.   He will see an increase in business.   Go whine about that.
View Quote

Any area that will publicly hang an elephant for killing people, shoot a fucking squirrel in a dollar store, kill a family over defriending on Facebook and have to pass a law to make it illegal to eat road kill...will easily say FBHO, and the lgbtnimgftj mother fuckers

I Volunteer Sir'
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We had that once. It lead to things like segregation. I guess a hardware store isn't life or death, but what if a hospital or a pharmacy denied service to gays, blacks, gun owners, etc? Is it still "their place, their rules"? If you can't rationalize refusing medical treatment of a person, you can't rationalize not selling them a wing nut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
His store, his rules.

We had that once. It lead to things like segregation. I guess a hardware store isn't life or death, but what if a hospital or a pharmacy denied service to gays, blacks, gun owners, etc? Is it still "their place, their rules"? If you can't rationalize refusing medical treatment of a person, you can't rationalize not selling them a wing nut.

Sorry, I can't rationalize any entitlement to medical treatment. YMMV
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I predict a marked reduction in the number of Subarus in his parking lot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Who cares about gay shoppers? If you want to take a stand, post a "No neckbeards allowed" sign at the ammo counter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]

But this is more appropriate, skip to 2:45.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
/quote]
Yeah. It's not like he wants to become gay. Maybe he just doesn't want to sell them, oh I don't know, some fucking paint?

View Quote

That's not how this works.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You really wouldn't want to live in town where every business had preconditions on who can enter on things so asinine as race, gender, or orientation.

It sounds great on face value because you've never lived in a society like that. And I highly doubt you would want to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would not have a problem with that sign for a privately owned business that is not government funded.

Nor would I have a problem with a privately owned business that posted a sign that said "NO WHITES ALLOWED"

Or one that said "NO ALIENS ALLOWED"  or "NO FOREIGNERS ALLOWED".

When private business owner, the government controls who you must and must not sell to, you are no longer free. You are a puppet of the state.

That is my opinion on the matter.

You really wouldn't want to live in town where every business had preconditions on who can enter on things so asinine as race, gender, or orientation.

It sounds great on face value because you've never lived in a society like that. And I highly doubt you would want to.

Yes. Check your white privilege .
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am getting tired of the bending over backwards for 1-2% of the population.

View Quote

Pretty soon, you'll be bending forward  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
/quote]

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Eh, think he's stupid to turn down business, but I think it should be his right to do so.

View Quote

came to post exactly this, not only will gays not shop there but their hardcore sympathizers wont also. so say 10% of the population self identifies as LBGT, and 25% of the population as hard core sympathaizers. so his store has 35% less potential customers. and say there are 10% totally against the LBGT, the rest don't care. so the guy has gained a hard core 10% of his town completly,  lost  10% completly, and  25% unless it is an emergency. I cant imagine that hardware stores are as popular as they were 30 years ago. So this guy likely will be out of business soon.

In other news I would recommend against this for the sole reason of a "training film" I once saw with 2 lesbians and a hardware stock boy... "Let me show you the pipe..."
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#15]
What a goof.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#16]
What happens when a guy doing some sealant work comes in and yells,

"I NEED ME SOME BLACK CAULK AND I NEED IT NOW!!!"
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sounds like someone told him that original signage might not be such a good idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's on the news right now,he already changed the sign.

"We have a right to Refuse service to anyone."

Sounds like someone told him that original signage might not be such a good idea.

They just showed his interview from yesterday about how he had a right to put up such a sign.

Nothing with him after he changed it, just showed that he had a different sign posted.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They just showed his interview from yesterday about how he had a right to put up such a sign.

Nothing with him after he changed it, just showed that he had a different sign posted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's on the news right now,he already changed the sign.

"We have a right to Refuse service to anyone."

It's plausible he just sold that sign and put up the WHARTRSTA sign until his new stock comes in.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Amyx, who is also a baptist minister,
View Quote

I have to wonder if Jesus would let gays in his hardware store?
What do you think?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Amyx, who is also a baptist minister, said he realized Monday morning that homosexual people are not afraid to stand for what they believe in. He said it showed him that Christian people should be brave enough to stand for what they believe in.

View Quote

funny, you never hear about atheists putting up exclusionary signs...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amyx, who is also a baptist minister, said he realized Monday morning that homosexual people are not afraid to stand for what they believe in. He said it showed him that Christian people should be brave enough to stand for what they believe in.

This forum would be full of whining and rage over that ("OMG, CHRISTIAN PERSECUTION!!!111one"). Plus, religious people already have their special rights to not be discriminated against codified into law.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
/quote]

Yes it is.

No it isn't ....... they don't give a fuck about his views.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What do you think?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think?

Jesus sure as fuck wouldn't let some decision from the Sanhedrin define his sense of morality.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#24]
He should give 10% off to anyone who wears Confederate flag clothing, hat, belt buckle,
tattoo etc.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
His store, his rules.

I am not talking entitlements. I am talking not admitting you based on "your kind". You have insurance/cash, they just don't want to treat you. That is ok?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Jeff Amyx, who owns Amyx Hardware & Roofing Supplies in Grainger County, added the 'No Gays Allowed' sign because gay and lesbian couples are against his religion.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/claiborne-hancock-grainger-union/2015/06/30/store-puts-up-no-gays-allowed-sign-after-same-sex-marriage-ruling/29497621/

View Quote

Not for too much longer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am getting tired of the bending over backwards for 1-2% of the population..

How is selling a person that walks into your hardware store some paint and some nails bending over backwards.  

The hardware store minister is just grandstanding. He will probably end up regretting his decision.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#28]

I hope this holds up in court!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

His sales will skyrocket....you fail to consider demographics.  He's in the buckle of the Bible belt.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not for too much longer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeff Amyx, who owns Amyx Hardware & Roofing Supplies in Grainger County, added the 'No Gays Allowed' sign because gay and lesbian couples are against his religion.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/claiborne-hancock-grainger-union/2015/06/30/store-puts-up-no-gays-allowed-sign-after-same-sex-marriage-ruling/29497621/

Not for too much longer.

Even if he is fined or put in jailed for his convictions, he will still have more honor than those who tried to force him to compromise his belief.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What do you think?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you think?
I think he knows damn well that no gays are ever coming to his hardware store, anyway, so he can pretend to make a stand on something controversial without actually taking any risks whatsoever.  If he wanted to take a stand for his beliefs and put his money where his mouth is, he'd put up a "Baptists only" sign.  But we all know that's not going to happen.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
His store, his rules.

If it gets out, is deemed unpopular, and people boycott his store because of that, that is just the free market at work.

However, I suspect those that preach the loudest about "tolerance of different views" are the ones who also scream the loudest at having legal action taken against him.
View Quote

This...in the ARFCOM GD tradition...its funny though, typically many would chime in with "His store, his rules,"...but I m willing to bet a bunch here will get all SJW about this...

Now to go read thread....
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Even if he is fined or put in jailed for his convictions, he will still have more honor than those who tried to force him to compromise his belief.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for too much longer.

Find me any Bible verse which tells Christians to refuse to do business with any sinners, especially homosexuals. Feel free to use Google, Bing, or whatever search engine you wish.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Should I get his gofundme account setup now?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Good move - he's going to get more business in that neck of the woods.

There aren't any gay pride parades in Grainger county, folks.
View Quote

How long before the first parade?  I'm willing to bet the vocal gay community is going to love that store/town tenderly.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Gays love to advertise they are gay, they can't help it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happens when a gay couple enter a town while on a road trip that is nearly all against gays and can't buy gas or food?

How would anyone know you're a gay couple?

Pull up to the service station and say "WE JUST GOT MARRIED!  THANKS OBAMA!"?

No.  You wouldn't do that, just like you wouldn't pull into a service station in Detroit and tell the guy "I hate n-words"

Gays love to advertise they are gay, they can't help it.

Really?  Seems like there are vocal segments of almost every "group" that likes to advertise their special cause.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Find me any Bible verse which tells Christians to refuse to do business with any sinners, especially homosexuals. Feel free to use Google, Bing, or whatever search engine you wish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for too much longer.

Find me anything inthe us constitution that prevents free expression and practice of store keeper religion.

Gays aren't a protected class. But that's their next goal. They've already said it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm sorta brain dead. Really!
But is there much difference from banning smokers in the store vs banning gay people from the store?
View Quote

Smokers aren't banned from places AFAIK - the act of smoking is banned.

I'm willing to bet sexual acts are banned - either homosexual or heterosexual acts.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

In East TN we don't put up the shit a lot of this country does.   He will see an increase in business.   Go whine about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy is a social dinosaur, putting that sign up is analogous to having a "no blacks" sign. His business, his rules and all aside, I hope he's prepared for early retirement and possible lawsuits.

Y'all are bad mutha fuckers in E. Tn

I'm surprised there is a hardware & roofing store in E. Tn.............................

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm willing to bet sexual acts are banned - either homosexual or heterosexual acts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But is there much difference from banning smokers in the store vs banning gay people from the store?

Smokers are banned from employment, not just the act on property.

Just like gays, smokers aren't a protected class by federal law.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

His sign has somewhere between jack and shit to do with Christianity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I was wondering the same thing how he justifies that as a Baptist Minister? Being Christian does not make you anti-gay.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm surprised there is a hardware & roofing store in E. Tn.............................

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got to have some place to buy fancy target to choot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#44]
He will be forced to not only let them in, but to give them each one of these free of charge at the door!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The two are not comparable. There is a difference between being singled out by the color you are born with, and the conscious choice of who you fuck, and what sex you choose to be. How homosexuality can be considered a civil right is so beyond fucked up it makes you realize how far we have morally fallen as a society. How can one man fucking another man in the ass be a protected class? Let me answer that for you, it shouldn't be. Now, those that openly protest homosexuality as an affront to their religion, will cause them to be classified as bigots, and hate mongers. Objecting to homosexuality will result in far reaching consequences that will result in social, civil, and possibly even criminal retaliation. The SCOTUS has just taken the First Amendment of The United States Constitution, and shit on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The two are not comparable. There is a difference between being singled out by the color you are born with, and the conscious choice of who you fuck, and what sex you choose to be. How homosexuality can be considered a civil right is so beyond fucked up it makes you realize how far we have morally fallen as a society. How can one man fucking another man in the ass be a protected class? Let me answer that for you, it shouldn't be. Now, those that openly protest homosexuality as an affront to their religion, will cause them to be classified as bigots, and hate mongers. Objecting to homosexuality will result in far reaching consequences that will result in social, civil, and possibly even criminal retaliation. The SCOTUS has just taken the First Amendment of The United States Constitution, and shit on it.

On what date & age did you make the conscious decision to be attracted to big titty, loud mouth blonde women?  You don't recall?  Imagine that...............
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smokers are banned from employment or health plan premiums can be jacked up because of tobacco usage?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#47]

You're supposed to post that after people start freaking out

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
His store, his rules.

Segregation was forced by the government there chief slow down.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You only say that because you practice moral relativism.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You only say that because you practice moral relativism.

lolwut
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top