User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Japanese cars, woman drivers, banning the rebel flag, maybe its time to pound a zima and suck a cock.
View Quote

So, you heard that rumor about Jeff Gordon and the rest stop on I-85 north of Charlotte too?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a feeling that the infield at the next Taladega race will look like The Army of Northern Virginia campsite in 1863. There will be pushback.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The elder Frances created it and made it successful, the idiot grandson/son does his best to destroy what's left of it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

fuck them and their race
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their race, their rules.

fuck them and their race

So if they want to put a sign that says "No faggots allowed," it is "their race, their rules?"
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The elder Frances created it and made it successful, the idiot grandson/son does his best to destroy what's left of it.
View Quote

Exactly what my Grandma who has been following NASCAR since back in day said.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Between Wal Mart and NASCAR, where else is there for rednecks to go?
View Quote

Re-Education work camps.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Japanese cars, woman drivers, banning the rebel flag, maybe its time to pound a zima and suck a cock.
View Quote

Hmmmm might be my future sig line.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]
What an absolute moronic move on NASCAR from a marketing prospective alone to willingly jump into this debate.
If pressed all they would have had to say is something like: "The offical flag a state chooses to fly is a state issue and should be decided by those residing within that state.
Though NASCAR chooses to fly the American flag on official NASCAR flag poles we support private citizens/fans rights to express their personal beliefs as a first amendment personal rights issue. If a fan chooses to fly a rainbow flag, a Mexican flag or a Confederate flag on their own motor home that is their personal right as an American and we see no reason to discriminate against any fan's freedom of speech".

That's all they would have had to say and so long as they aren't the ones flying it, they have no reason say anything on the matter.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#11]
The wait list for Bristol tickets used to be 2-3 years. Now tickets can bought at the gate. TV cameras won't pan the seats because of all the empty spaces. A church is being built in what was once one of the more popular parking lots

NASCAR's attempts to attract the wine, cheese and Lexus crowd is alienating the beer, BBQ and Ford/Chevy fan base. The biggest mistake was reconfiguring the track to eliminate the single-lane corners. Now they take them three wide with ease.

This was the Sunday Spring race a couple of years ago. The track seated 160,000 and attendance was estimated at about 100,000. Many locals say the estimate was high.

At least they moved the Darlington Southern 500 back to Labor Day.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#12]
maybe they can just have the DOT guys checking everyone's RVs for red diesel just confiscate their flags while they are at it
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sig line material if I ever saw it!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That is a two way street. NASCAR became attractive to corporate sponsors because it drew such large crowds and TV ratings. Both have been in a steady decline now for a number of years. The more fans who abandon NASCAR, the less the incentive for corporate sponsors to remain involved. When it comes to a spectator sport like NASCAR, everything begins and ends with the fans. NASCAR has lost a huge portion of what has always been its most loyal fans. Stunts such as this (banning rebel flags) will only further alienate their fan base. That will mean fewer asses in the stands and less TV interest.

NASCAR's "business model" for the past 15 years has largely involved neglecting the region and the core fan base who made NASCAR into what it became in the 1990s in an attempt to draw in fans from the west coast, the northeast, etc. Yet those fans only stuck around a few years, then became tired of it and moved on to other things. And NASCAR has pissed off its core fans by trying to cater to this new crowd that they have lost many of those fans too. NASCAR's business model sucks ass. That is evident by declining attendance and TV ratings. And it is only going to get worse. NASCAR was at its best when it was still largely a southern thing, back before it tried to become everything to everybody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because Nascar gets so much support from rich liberal hipster urbanites???

No.

NASCAR is a massive money-making machine with massive corporate sponsorships... Including US Military sponsorships...

NASCAR can lose a few loyal fans over this for the sake of maintaining their business model: massive corporate sponsorships.

Think Tide (laundry detergent), or Mars (candy) want their name associated with an organization that allows the Confederate Flag to fly?

NASCAR can lose a few loyal fans.

They cannot risk losing a few sponsors. They cannot risk it... They cannot risk their business model...

That is a two way street. NASCAR became attractive to corporate sponsors because it drew such large crowds and TV ratings. Both have been in a steady decline now for a number of years. The more fans who abandon NASCAR, the less the incentive for corporate sponsors to remain involved. When it comes to a spectator sport like NASCAR, everything begins and ends with the fans. NASCAR has lost a huge portion of what has always been its most loyal fans. Stunts such as this (banning rebel flags) will only further alienate their fan base. That will mean fewer asses in the stands and less TV interest.

NASCAR's "business model" for the past 15 years has largely involved neglecting the region and the core fan base who made NASCAR into what it became in the 1990s in an attempt to draw in fans from the west coast, the northeast, etc. Yet those fans only stuck around a few years, then became tired of it and moved on to other things. And NASCAR has pissed off its core fans by trying to cater to this new crowd that they have lost many of those fans too. NASCAR's business model sucks ass. That is evident by declining attendance and TV ratings. And it is only going to get worse. NASCAR was at its best when it was still largely a southern thing, back before it tried to become everything to everybody.

Who knew the NASCAR business advisers were the same one that advise the Republican Party on boosting turnout and winning elections.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't envy the job of collecting the rebel flags from the drunk rednecks. When you got through you'd probably look like this.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#16]
And who exactly will enforce any ban? After having worked at NASCAR Events for the last 28 years I can guarantee no Law Enforcement or Security team is going to even try to fuck with a fan over a flag. The track leadership may talk the talk but who in their right mind will wade into a campground and try to enforce the ban or take a flag. Any ban is just more political posturing to appease those who have a compelling need to be politically correct. NASCAR is slowly dying and they know it. The constant attempts to reinvent itself are failing and the fan base is at home now not camping or sitting at the tracks. Why do you think they are taking down bleachers, the can't fill them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Nascar is dead to me.
View Quote
Until they remove the restrictor plates and other speed limiting factors, I could give a fuck less.  I've posted many many times on how I would fix NASCAR and they still haven't called me back so fuck 'em

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a feeling that the infield at the next Taladega race will look like The Army of Northern Virginia campsite in 1863. There will be pushback.
View Quote

As a veteran of a couple of 'Dega infield "liquid diet" excursions, I wonder how Junior Nation will rectify this schism in loyalties?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Their race, their rules.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

fuck them and their race
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Their race, their rules.

fuck them and their race
Maybe their race, but not their track.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Until they remove the restrictor plates and other speed limiting factors, I could give a fuck less.  I've posted many many times on how I would fix NASCAR and they still haven't called me back so fuck 'em  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nascar is dead to me.

What would fix Nascar would be going back to using stock cars.

If their production counterpart is FWD and V6, the race car has to be, too. Nascar lost a lot when they went away from production like vehicles in the name of "tradition" when all of the stock car counterparts went FWD. One CAN use current production based vehicles for serious racing, look towards WRC for how they do it.

If that means that speeds slow down, well, that's the manufacturer's problem.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If their production counterpart is FWD and V6, the race car has to be, too. Nascar lost a lot when they went away from production like vehicles in the name of "tradition" when all of the stock car counterparts went FWD. One CAN use current production based vehicles for serious racing, look towards WRC for how they do it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nascar is dead to me.

This x 11 BILLION!

NASCAR vehicles should have to be built on stock cars. Upgrade suspension, brakes, and modify the stock engine....
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No.

NASCAR is a massive money-making machine with massive corporate sponsorships... Including US Military sponsorships...

NASCAR can lose a few loyal fans over this for the sake of maintaining their business model: massive corporate sponsorships.

Think Tide (laundry detergent), or Mars (candy) want their name associated with an organization that allows the Confederate Flag to fly?

They cannot risk losing a few sponsors. They cannot risk it... They cannot risk their business model...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Nascar fans and sponsors do not operate separately in a one-sided equation.

Nascar's sponsors do not pay millions of dollars to put their names and logos on the sides of the race cars and the tracks just for the fun of it.  They pay those millions to get those logos and brand names out in front of people who will see them and become prompted to buy those brands.

THAT is Nascar's modern business model.

It's been promoted every time Nascar has gone out to woo new sponsors;  people in seats or in front of TVs watching the races who will see your product and will buy.  And major sponsors have acknowledged that they see positive response in sales to consumers who self-identify as Nascar fans as result of their Nascar sponsorships.

Alienate the Nascar fans, whom sponsor have identified as their market and soon the sponsors will leave due to failed returns on their investments in Nascar sponsorships.

Nascar has shot themselves in the foot and trying to ban all Confederate flags is going to become an infection in that wound which will kill them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

They started pushing really hard to get minorities watching a few years ago, and I think this is another attempt.   NASCAR has become the family business that the idiot grandson finally inherits and runs into the ground.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I never started
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I stopped watching nascar ten years ago.

I never started
Same here.  Give me a race course that has Left & Right turns in it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Just had a thought: Go to a race and bring flags with the BFL on them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Who knew the NASCAR business advisers were the same one that advise the Republican Party on boosting turnout and winning elections.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

NASCAR has apparently hired Rand Paul's advisers to teach them  how to pander and properly alienate their base.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Nothing more than political expediency on NASCARS part to appease the sponsors of the races. Yes, there will be angry talk from fans, and folks will express their opinions about it on NASCAR forums, Facebook and Twitter, but at the end of the day this is nothing more than fake outrage. Fans will talk boycott but eventually find themselves tuning into the races again.

I've only attended races in Ft. Worth, Talledega and Las Vegas. Granted this was over a decade ago, but I did have a good time when I went. Would I go again? Probably not, regardless of wether they allow display of the Confederate flag or not.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are correct that the knife cuts both ways... But the truth is that NASCAR has been trying to create a "new image" for years, and this may just very-well be the final nail in the coffin for many fans...

Yeah, they are trying to "market" outside the "South," and have been for years...

No doubt there will be upset fans about this. No doubt.

The problem... The corporate sponsors.

Even if they see a negative backlash from this, they cannot lose their corporate sponsors...

Yeah, this is a two-way street, and yeah, they have been trying to shed the "South" as an exclusive market for years, and branch-out...

But they cannot risk a primary sponsor backing-out.

I can guarantee that the *primary* sponsors have caveats in their contract that allow them to pull-out if NASCAR has any negative publicity as an organization... I can guaran-dang-tee it... The *major* sponsors each have rock-solid contracts with NASCAR that NASCAR will answer their phone every time they call and tell them to jump.

I can guarantee it.

No way NASCAR wanted to risk losing any major sponsors...

Yeah, NASCAR has been shedding its connection to the "South" for years. Yeah, NASCAR reached its prime ~10 years ago, and has seen a decline since.

Yeah... This is a two-edged decision...

But... They don't want to lose any major sponsors... They did not want the Confederate Flag *officially* tied to NASCAR, as that would allow sponsors to pull-out without any legal repercussions...

Which is ironic, because a few weeks ago, nobody cared...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As a veteran of a couple of 'Dega infield "liquid diet" excursions, I wonder how Junior Nation will rectify this schism in loyalties?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drove up from FSU to Auburn and went to theTalladega 500 with some buddies in '88 '89' & '90.  I'll never forget the hatred and middle fingers directed at Ken Schrader when he went by solo and off the back after a pit stop. Someone asked why do y'all hate him?  Because he's a fuckin yankee was the reply. The dude said he's not a yankee he's from Missouri,they were neutral. Reply: Fuck neutral and fuck that yankee!    This was before Jeff Gordon, and  aside from Schrader, the only drivers on the track that weren't from the old Confederacy were the Bodine brothers and Alan Kulwicki. They all got the hate from the infield as well :)  Back in that day the crowd was extremely passionate about the region. There were hundreds if not Thousands of battle flags in the infield.  You could have gotten the crowd in 1988 to burn the Capitol of Alabama to ground if someone had suggested removing the battle flag from the capitol grounds.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their race, their rules.

fuck them and their race

Actually, most of them are:

France Family owns NASCAR and International Speedway Corporation too.  

Auto Club Speedway Fontana, CA
Chicagoland Speedway Joliet, IL
Darlington Raceway Darlington, SC
Daytona International Speedway Daytona Beach, FL
Homestead-Miami Speedway Homestead, FL
Kansas Speedway Kansas City, KS
Martinsville Speedway Ridgeway, VA .
Michigan International Speedway Brooklyn, MI
Phoenix International Raceway Avondale, AZ
Richmond International Raceway Richmond, VA  
Talladega Superspeedway Talladega, AL
Watkins Glen International NY

The France Family also owns the Motor Racing Network radio coverage.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The wait list for Bristol tickets used to be 2-3 years. Now tickets can bought at the gate. TV cameras won't pan the seats because of all the empty spaces. A church is being built in what was once one of the more popular parking lots

NASCAR's attempts to attract the wine, cheese and Lexus crowd is alienating the beer, BBQ and Ford/Chevy fan base. The biggest mistake was reconfiguring the track to eliminate the single-lane corners. Now they take them three wide with ease.

This was the Sunday Spring race a couple of years ago. The track seated 160,000 and attendance was estimated at about 100,000. Many locals say the estimate was high.

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/2l8ERyorOGRW9Z4CE_DuPh3ZJHY=/0x46:1100x779/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/assets/1012045/photo__11_.JPG

At least they moved the Darlington Southern 500 back to Labor Day.
View Quote

NASCAR wants to be formula 1,and the crowd it brings.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
So, you heard that rumor about Jeff Gordon and the rest stop on I-85 north of Charlotte too?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He's doing color on TV next year. I always thought he had a whiny voice.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
I gotta believe Big Bill wound pound his ass into the sand at Daytona.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nascar's sponsors do not pay millions of dollars to put their names and logos on the sides of the race cars and the tracks just for the fun of it.  They pay those millions to get those logos and brand names out in front of people who will see them and become prompted to buy those brands.

View Quote

We mostly agree...

But... In this case it is not the fans in the seats that they care about... The fans in the seats are waving the Confederate Flag...

And... frankly... It might not even be a "fan" that is complaining...

Yes... The corporations who are giving massive amounts of money to NASCAR are doing it in exchange of reaching the "fans" who are by a massive, massive margin watching on TV...

The corporations see a win-win in giving gobs of money, and in return, their image is seen as a positive to the gobs of fans...

Imagine that corporate CEO, who is in business to make money, getting a phone call for a press conference to explain why they sponsor an event tied to the Confederate Flag.

Now the marketing that they paid for went down the drain.

The NASCAR fan at home might not care.

But now the corporation is facing negative heat, investors, stockholders, and shareholders start to care.

This is much, much more than about NASCAR "fans." NASCAR fans are loyal to their teams and drivers, and are some of the most loyal fans in any market...

But... This is not so much about the "fans" as it is about corporations potentially facing heat from outside NASCAR.

Frankly, the US Military invests significant money into NASCAR as a recruiting tool... NASCAR is facing pressure from all-sides on this issue, and corporate sponsors are going to win all-day and every-day over the fan in the seat...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#37]
when I heard the news about the flag what I said was WTF

Nascar just shit in its own house and expects everyone to buy a ticket still,  I am done now,  I go every year to the 600 and this did it for me,  we spend about 500 bucks for the weekend and its not much in the big world of Nascar but its 500 bucks less they will get next year.

F-them and F-that chicken shit ass with the caterpillar on his lip
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You owe me a keyboard!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
we need to start voting with our wallets......
View Quote

I've been doing it for years and find myself buying in less places than ever before.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So if they want to put a sign that says "No faggots allowed," it is "their race, their rules?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their race, their rules.

fuck them and their race

Yes, it is.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top