BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 100
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sold a non-displayed gun today, and a Taurus Curve w/ LASER, no less.  Also got an approval from the backlogged FBI.  And lunch, which I didn't expect.  And the two hour conference call got moved to tomorrow night, so I have to farm it out to my volunteer minions and see who volunteers - if any.  Not a bad day @ all.
View Quote

Not one of those EVIL non-display guns!

The horror.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[Not one of those EVIL non-display guns!

The horror.
View Quote

I have three evil non-display receivers I need engraved.  Probably makes them more evilerly.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have three evil non-display receivers I need engraved.  Probably makes them more evilerly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Not one of those EVIL non-display guns!

The horror.

I may one or two laying around.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may one or two laying around.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab92/BIGDAM/Mobile%20Uploads/20160712_113527_zpsc6txh6fk.jpg

Very evilishly-looking.  No doubt the Gun Salesman in Chief will be displeased despite the $800 of taxes you sent his uncle for those.

Me gusta the Texas flag receiver.  I sort of wanted one of those or a Dimmit Goliad flag receiver, but with 41F arriving and having enough stamped lowers, I never did pick one up.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I got Clint's lower picked up.  The 1st Sabre Defense lower I picked up from Trinity Ordnance didn't have the safety detent holes drilled.  They swapped me out for another one the other day, w/ takedown pins.  $60 + tax lower/fixed stock.  My old A2 upper drops on fine.  Gonna put the cheap Chinese gun show special rail on it, and give him some of the rail covers you gave me, if you have no objection.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:39:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
if you have no objection.
View Quote

None.

Knight's covers, if I remember correctly.  The same outfit had Daniel Defense carbine quad rails for $99.  I should have bought a few dozen.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Was tense all day worried about the potential for a Bastille Day attack, just as I worried last year in the wake of the January attacks.  Was starting to breathe easier as midnight approached in France, then I learned the news from Nice.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:18:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Was tense all day worried about the potential for a Bastille Day attack, just as I worried last year in the wake of the January attacks.  Was starting to breathe easier as midnight approached in France, then I learned the news from Nice.
View Quote

There's nothing I can say.  Call me if you like - I'll be up for a little while.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:39:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Fuck.

This is getting ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:43:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Wonder how much the French will increase bringing in refugees in response to this one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Who knows the leadership stood by its immigration numbers after the last two attaches.

I wonder if the common French people will start to push back against immigrants and Muslims in particular.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:12:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Who knows the leadership stood by its immigration numbers after the last two attaches.

I wonder if the common French people will start to push back against immigrants and Muslims in particular.
View Quote
Government will crack down on those that do

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I got to use my 1891 Arg. bayonet today.

The possum was less happy about it then I was
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  I got to use my 1891 Arg. bayonet today.

View Quote

Pics, man, pics!

Why d'ja kill a possum?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pics, man, pics!

Why d'ja kill a possum?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I got to use my 1891 Arg. bayonet today.

Pics, man, pics!

Why d'ja kill a possum?

I don't feel like uploading them to photobucket right now but I can text them to you.

It has been living under my porch on and off for a long time and it drives my dogs nuts. They try to dig through the porch and damage the porch and themselves. It had to go.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#17]
You stabbed them THROUGH the porch?  Did not see that coming.

Have a good night.  I've got an early morning tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 1:29:10 AM EDT
[#18]
It wasn't through a board just between two of them.

I didn't want him to get away again. I'm really tired of the dogs going batshit crazy when I put them out.

I also conducted my first EE transaction today. my New upper receiver should ship monday.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 1:43:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Well there goes Turkey as a somewhat sane country
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Hola and good night.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 1:42:11 AM EDT
[#21]
My upper should be delivered friday.

Just a few more pieces and the 6.8 will be done.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 3:13:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats!

A friend asked my help picking components for a new upper, and researching a few things for him has me once again jonesing for a new upper myself.  Still not sure what I would build though.  Probably best if I simply optimize what I already have for now and hold off building from scratch until I have a clear need, but that sounds unpleasantly practical, and dull.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 3:36:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Congrats!

A friend asked my help picking components for a new upper, and researching a few things for him has me once again jonesing for a new upper myself.  Still not sure what I would build though.  Probably best if I simply optimize what I already have for now and hold off building from scratch until I have a clear need, but that sounds unpleasantly practical, and dull.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats!

What's the point in building another if you're just going to end up giving it to Backbencher anyway? Make him build his own next time.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 5:33:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's the point in building another if you're just going to end up giving it to Backbencher anyway? Make him build his own next time.
View Quote

Well, he gave me at least two AR uppers, so it was the least I could do to return the favor.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Space X ISS resupply launch in about 25 minutes:

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

The first stage recovery attempt is to land this time, I believe.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:55:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Space X ISS resupply launch in about 25 minutes:

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

The first stage recovery attempt is to land this time, I believe.
View Quote

Stuck the landing.  Even the Bulgarian judge gives the 1st stage a 10.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well, he gave me at least two AR uppers, so it was the least I could do to return the favor.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  What's the point in building another if you're just going to end up giving it to Backbencher anyway? Make him build his own next time.

Do sample all the favors you can - he's very appreciative.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:Do sample all the favors you can - he's very appreciative.
View Quote

[Princess Bride] We are men of action, sir.  Lies do not become us. [/Princess Bride]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:54:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

[Princess Bride] We are men of action, sir.  Lies do not become us. [/Princess Bride]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Do sample all the favors you can - he's very appreciative.

Says the fellow that gave me both guns lying beside the bed @ the moment.  I did have to buy the neon green case for them, I admit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:58:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Says the fellow that gave me both guns lying beside the bed @ the moment.  I did have to buy the neon green case for them, I admit.
View Quote

Glock doesn't count; you gave it to me first.  Stripped AR lower doesn't either.  Those things were nearly as cheap in '04 as they are now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I haven't been this tired in quite a long time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#32]
W/ the orders screwup, and the hotel screwup, I have a sneaking suspicion that this week I might be paying to work for Uncle.  

Fascinating system, though.  But some engineers should be shot.  And they know it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
W/ the orders screwup, and the hotel screwup, I have a sneaking suspicion that this week I might be paying to work for Uncle.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hmm.  If you end up with spare time, I might have an errand for you to run.  Will let you know.

Fascinating system, though.  But some engineers should be shot.  And they know it.

No idea what you're on about, but if it's guvmint related, be careful what you say in public.  Not long ago there was this fellow who leaked secrets and ended up with a sex change and a life sentence.  I don't think the Electrician needs two mothers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't think the Electrician needs two mothers.
View Quote

Speaking of the Electrician, I have shocking news for him: the entire "Do Not Lick" plate is gone, replaced with another, with nary a switch to be seen.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Speaking of the Electrician, I have shocking news for him: the entire "Do Not Lick" plate is gone, replaced with another, with nary a switch to be seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think the Electrician needs two mothers.

Indeed.  I've got spare time in the afternoons/evenings.  Let me know.

I'm speaking of fraud, waste, abuse, mission creep, and bad engineering.  The last two are legal, but should be outlawed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm just posting to see if my new feedback rating shows.

Eta: nope. Not yet it seems.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#37]
My apologies for posting too late this morning.  I wasn't awake.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My apologies for posting too late this morning.  I wasn't awake.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Sky's still light now, you heathen.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Friend needs help choosing parts for a short-barrel upper.  Caliber is 7.62x39, length about 10-11", to be suppressed.  Here's the list of topics on which I hope to enlighten him and to give him alternatives and tradeoffs where they exist.  Let me know if I missed any.

• Blems vs. non-blems (I have a lot of blem stuff that looks great and an Aero blem upper that looks like it went through a washing machine)

• Pistons, and why they may not be ideal on a suppressed gun.

• Upper styles and features: slick side vs. case deflector, dust cover, forward assist; side charging uppers (left, right, reciprocating and not; integrated handguards

• Compatability with Ares SCR lowers - subject kind of likes the idea, though that would be an additional stamp and a long wait in the future

• Compatability with AK-mag lowers - subject has other guns that take AK mags

• Means of reducing rear gas - side chargers (also have other advantages - various kinds, left, right, reciprocating and not, dust covers and not, work with any bolt carrier or not, may act as forward assist or not), weight penalty OR gas blocking handles (PRI, Grifin, etc.), or sealing a basic handle with RTV,

• adjustable gas tubes & blocks - Suppressor vs. non-suppressor use - needs to be easily adjustable if doing both. - Subsonic vs supersonic rounds - for 7.62x39, may need to be easily adjustable if doing both.

• Complete uppers - Availability, price, parts you might want to change and parts you might have a hard time or an easy time selling

• Handguards - Accessory systems - Pic, mlock, keymod, hybrid mounting systems ; diameter - suppressor inside probably gets you some toasty aluminum - rail covers vs. ragged wounded digits

• Sights in all their various varieties

• Bolt carriers - finishes, etc.  M16 vs. semi (weight may be an issue, but almost everything out there now is M16)

• Bolts - materials, finishing, cheap + replacements vs. LMT (should last forever) - Why you may want dedicated bolt for each upper (subject already has another 7.62x39 upper)

7.62x39 stuff:

• Barrels - Need tight enough twist if ever want to try heavier subsonic (but subject is resistant to handloading, so probably not a big deal either way)

• .308 vs. .311 groves - most on the market will probably be .308, which is probably fine

• Barrel profiles - for a short barrel and shooting mostly 3+ MOA steel case at under 100 yd, probably no reason to be chasing accuracy as opposed to weight.

• Carbine vs. pistol gas - probably want carbine gas for 10-11" 7.62x39

• Firing pin - may need some extra length for hard Russian primers

• Feed ramps - Why you may need to alter them slightly to make more of a trough

What have I missed?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:45:13 AM EDT
[#40]
There's a couple of almost ARs on the market that take AK mags, but they're proprietary uppers, lowers, AND bbl extensions.  Does solve the consumable bolt issue.

MGI Hydra is the only available AR lower that can take AK mags & standard uppers.  May also be offered by Wyndham now, as well.  An AK lower could be welded from Flat Spot & other bits.

Ares compatibility will only be realized by a standard AR upper.

Pistons in ARs tend to make the chamber slightly cleaner if running w/ a suppressor.  The ones that come w/ proprietary gas blocks tend to be tunable for suppressor use and are seemingly more popular than the 3 drop ins that use standard gas blocks.

DI gas w/ a suppressor is reportedly filthy.

Blems are never more than cosmetic.  Give him your washing machine upper.

Side chargers are popular w/ the suppressor crowd.

The new hotness is lightweight carriers, particularly for the lightweight, competition, and BumpSAW crowd.  Lower weight, less perceived recoil, faster cycle time @ the expense of less reliability, greater expense.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#41]
The wife got us turned around in downtown trying to get to some retarded pizza place. We ended up walking about 5 block dragging the 3 y.of. while trying not to get pissed at the spousal unit for not knowing where the place she wanted to go was.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Why would you go downtown?  There's no parking there.  That's why we built the rest of the city into 4 other counties, so we have parking.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I didn't realize the place was downtown.

I'm less angry now but....
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
MGI Hydra is the only available AR lower that can take AK mags & standard uppers.  May also be offered by Wyndham now, as well.  An AK lower could be welded from Flat Spot & other bits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

PSA and Rock River also.  If you bring your own upper to either of those (or presumably to the MGI), you need an upper at the wider side of the normal range of dimensions in order to take a cutout wide enough for the AK mag.  The PSA upper actually has a custom bolt too, but early adopters have said the lower works fine with other 7.62x39 uppers, so long as they're wide enough for the magazine.
Pistons in ARs tend to make the chamber slightly cleaner if running w/ a suppressor.  The ones that come w/ proprietary gas blocks tend to be tunable for suppressor use and are seemingly more popular than the 3 drop ins that use standard gas blocks.

DI gas w/ a suppressor is reportedly filthy.

Hadn't thought about the cleanliness.  What I've read is that they tend to be louder, even with adjustable gas, but it's nothing I have any experience with of course.
Blems are never more than cosmetic.  Give him your washing machine upper.

Sometimes tolerances are wonky too, though one would hope not from anyone reputable.  Also, some people care more about cosmetics than others.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The wife got us turned around in downtown trying to get to some retarded pizza place. We ended up walking about 5 block dragging the 3 y.of. while trying not to get pissed at the spousal unit for not knowing where the place she wanted to go was.
View Quote

What restaurant?  Any good?

Also, which downtown?  
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Also, which downtown?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, which downtown?  

I've just been informed it (Gramaldi's) in fact wasn't downtown, it was "uptown."  In Dallas. It seemed like downtown with all the buildings and trendy restaurantS. Shows what I know.

The food was good but 2 pizzas and two soft drinks was $42 plus the tip.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

PSA and Rock River also.  If you bring your own upper to either of those (or presumably to the MGI), you need an upper at the wider side of the normal range of dimensions in order to take a cutout wide enough for the AK mag.  The PSA upper actually has a custom bolt too, but early adopters have said the lower works fine with other 7.62x39 uppers, so long as they're wide enough for the magazine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  MGI Hydra is the only available AR lower that can take AK mags & standard uppers.  May also be offered by Wyndham now, as well.  An AK lower could be welded from Flat Spot & other bits.

My impression was the new folks taking the trouble to finagle an AK mag in there,  took the opportunity to run a larger receiver extension & bolt - and also nixed backwards compatibility to AR lowers by slightly extending the length of the receiver.  You'll note that PSA's rifle kit will only work w/ their lower.  Be happy to be proved wrong.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Just traded the hotel's non-working phone for towels.  In the hopefully flea-free room in the 2nd hotel of the day.

3 hotel rooms in 24 hours does not produce calmness in the soul.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:14:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The food was good but 2 pizzas and two soft drinks was $42 plus the tip.
View Quote

I often miss the days when the Mr. Gatti's buffet was $3.99.  A dollar more than Cici's, but Cici's sucked in those days, and Gatti's was close to my high school.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My impression was the new folks taking the trouble to finagle an AK mag in there,  took the opportunity to run a larger receiver extension & bolt - and also nixed backwards compatibility to AR lowers by slightly extending the length of the receiver.  You'll note that PSA's rifle kit will only work w/ their lower.  Be happy to be proved wrong.
View Quote

Not sure I follow what you're saying, but here is what I know (or think I know):
  • Various lowers made for AK mags over the years but built to standard lower dimensions will usually take a standard upper provided it is on the wide side and has enough space to widen the magazine opening at the bottom without going through the surrounding metal.  There are some photos running around the net that I can't find with a search tonight showing how to widen the cutout in an upper to work on some of these lowers, and also how some uppers aren't wide enough.

• This is even the case for those, like PSA, who maintained standard dimensions on the lower even while making changes to the upper.

• This is not the case for those, like CMMG, who (so far as I can tell) changed dimensions of the lower, making them unique and incompatible with other uppers and lowers.

• The new PSA uppers designed for their AK-mag lowers will work on a conventional lower also, so would presumably also work on any other AK-mag lower that was built to standard dimensions (MGI, Rock River, etc.).

• Whatever the case, I gather these AR/AK hybrids are far more sensitive to the tolerance envelope of AK magazines than an AK or an SKS-M is.

• I could be wrong on several of these points, not having worked with any of the AK-mag lowers.

Page / 100
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top