Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in on this thread. 230 and need to slim down.

No more ice cream after dinner, and I'll mix in veggies with dinner. Already only do medium lunches at drive through, need to kick soda.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Apparently you lost TOO much weight so you can no longer hold the bike up long enough to put the kickstand down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lost 50lbs, and kept it off for 5 years now thanks to MTB.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/855/iey7.jpg

Apparently you lost TOO much weight so you can no longer hold the bike up long enough to put the kickstand down.

real bikes don't have kickstands or they fall off
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you're a drinker , knock it off for 90 days. Consider it an exercise in self control. It will help with your caloric intake tremendously. At the end of the day eat less, it's that simple. Use fit bit, or some other tracker to give you a visual indication of your calorie burn. It's fun, sort of..I'd save the supplement stuff untill you have a defined routine down.

And good for you for wanting to be better. We all get complacent, but lookin good never hurt anyone.
View Quote

this is my biggest problem i would be like 160 if i didn't drink beer
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]
MyFitnessPal

Exercising will help you get into shape, but losing weight is mostly diet.  Log EVERYTHING you eat and you will lose weight.  The gym is full of guys who get frustrated because they can't shed lbs but they can't see how much gym time is required to counter  1bad meal.

-Mike
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
You lose weight in the kitchen, not the gym. I don't care how much you exercise, junk food is your problem, especially as you get older, and especially soft drinks!

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lost 50lbs, and kept it off for 5 years now thanks to MTB.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/855/iey7.jpg

Or Dork disc.

Losing weight HAS TO BE FUN!

MTBR rider
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No more ice cream after dinner, and I'll mix in veggies with dinner. Already only do medium lunches at drive through, need to kick soda.
View Quote

if your doing the drive through it shouldn't be a question of what size combo meal it should be x sandwich and water.

it's ok to have a double double from in and out if you have water and sensible meals the rest of the day. skip the fries and soda
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Be careful with going full out to loose weight. Your body needs to adjust. Start slower. Your heart could have a problem.
You WILL feel it.

And what YOU need to loose weight is different then what others might.  I don't drink soda, or snacks, or sweets or eat any fast food.  I needed to eat specific things & exercise a lot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lose the drive through all together. Eat healthy at home cook extra and bring leftovers that works for me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
1.) Clean eating
2.) Crossfit
3.) Profit
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So I have allowed myself to get into pretty piss poor shape and it is time to do something about it...

As of tomorrow I start working out at the gym and doing cardio... 5 nights a week... I am totally disgusted with myself for allowing myself to get into this kinda shape.

I have cut out all sugary drinks and am cutting back on proportions... plus moving to basically a low carb high protein diet.  

I have thought about adding a supplement as well, but I don't know shit about what is out there these days that is worth a fuck... any suggestions?
View Quote

I've been where you are and I have a rock solid suggestion that's based on my own personal experience with this matter.

Do what I did-----develop Type 2 Diabetes. Works like a charm.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#12]
You don't actually need to exercise, just count every single calorie that goes in your body, and make sure it is ~75% of your BMR. Remember running 2 miles (about 20 minutes) only burns the equivalent of eating a single pop tart.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You lose weight in the kitchen, not the gym. I don't care how much you exercise, junk food is your problem, especially as you get older, and especially soft drinks!

View Quote

This. Even apple juice is loaded with calories, so don't think switching will help.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#14]
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=whole+30

http://whole30.com/

I lost 22 lbs in one month. We have now modified it to add in a few items. Still going great.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Running is your new best friend.

Good Luck
View Quote

Truth. But avoid asphalt unless you're a smaller guy. I run on the treadmill and use the elliptical because I'm already a big guy, so does my brother. My dad is a big guy, as well, and ran 5 miles a day on concrete and asphalt since he was a kid. He's 58 and has had 1 knee replacement on his left knee, and 2 on his right knee. He's at the point where he can only do the elliptical. I learned my lesson when I was young and stuck to the low impact exercises.

Fyi I'm 6'2" 280 lbs 30 years old, brother is 6'3" 260 lbs 29 years old, dad is currently 6'0" 260 lbs 58 years old. Low impact is key for bigger guys.

Get into lifting, too! I do cardio because I have to , but lifting gives me the best rush!

ETA: My girlfriend is a runner. She's 6"1' 170 lbs and 30 years old. She refuses to run on the streets, treadmill only for her. She's a collegiate athlete.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Work out more, eat less and healthier.  Fuck supplements.  

Seriously burn more calories than you take in, that's all there is to losing weight.  

You can do it!
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#18]
A good detox will help you get started there is Candida a form of yeast that live in our stomach and you can have a over growth of it that can make it very hard to lose weight. Along with a host of other problems like headaches, bloating etc. it can slow down the digestion process, research it there are some good supplements that you can take that will get it under control. You will feel better and your stomach will feel better in about a week.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good Luck
View Quote

Might not be good for his knees
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, get started.

I'm about a month into your situation and about 20 lbs down. I know 20lbs in a month is a rapid weight loss, but I started by getting my diet straightened out using myfitness pal, and exercising 5-6 days per week. As others have mentioned, mix it up. I also started the Couch to 5K a few weeks back. Also started a little strength training.

By getting my diet straight and getting exercise on a regular basis, my fat ass can't help but lose weight; I know it will slow down to 2-3 lbs a week here soon enough, so I am not stressing about how fast it's dropping off now.

Keep with it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Diet Coke my weakness

I quit cold turkey booze, pain meds.

Diet Coke
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm in the  same boat as you OP, short and stocky. But I let myself go towards the end of my service. I'm 27 and weigh around 210 right now which isn't bad for 5'6"-5'8" but I got a beer belly

and no cardio endurance and at one point was up to around 230. Luckly I had a job where I was walking probably 5-10 miles a day and climbing in an out of vehicles(LMTV'S, etc) and lost

some weight. My plan is once I get some life stuff figured out, is to get a bike and ride 10 miles a day at a good pace. I've had good

experience with that in the past along with throwing in weights for a couple of hours a day as well.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There's a ton of health benefits to eating veggies. We're meant to eat both meat and vegetables. Eat them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tried a ketogenic diet while trying to get my UC under control and ended up dropping some weight as a side effect. It worked for me because I just can't fucking stand vegetables and any diet that relies on them. If I could burn down every vegetable in the world I would do it.

I am with you there... I HATE vegetables... I am a MEAT eater.  

There's a ton of health benefits to eating veggies. We're meant to eat both meat and vegetables. Eat them.

This man knows what he speaks.  Unless its fish, you will die young if you eat only meat brother, heart just can't take it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#24]
You're going to have to change your life eating habits.  That and you need rest at first while you commit to the change.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Paleo diet.  You can lose 15 pounds in a month without an increase in exercise.

Cut out legumes such as potatoes and peanuts, grains, flour, milk, sodas, any processed foods.  Eat only meats (steaks, pork loins, turkey, etc), fruits (limit the banana intake to about 3 a week), any vegetable you want and as much as you can eat of them, berries, nuts (especially walnuts).  Stay away from vegetable oil, substitute flax-seed or coconut oil.

With this diet, you can eat as many times as you want as much as you want as long as you keep it about 50%vegetables, 20%fruit, and 30% meat.  Walnuts, blueberries, and blackberries are what I use when I need a snack.  Avoid any artificial sweeteners.  I use some Stevia in my iced tea sometimes, but avoid Splenda and especially all of the ones with Asparthame.  Asparthame messes with your insulin and blood sugar.  Avoid diet and regular sodas. Give yourself 3 cheat meals a week where you eat whatever you want. Keeps you motivated while you watch the pounds fall off. Soon you'll start skipping cheat meals.

If you feel weak or sick it's because you aren't getting enough good carbs from fruit and vegetables and are eating too much meat.

I've lost 15 in 3 weeks and feel like I'm 10 years younger.  All joint pain is gone, mental clarity is back, my skin is looking much more youthful.  Believe it or not, my vision has actually improved as I just took a job physical.  One of my eyes registered 20/20 and the other 20/25.  I no longer wear glasses and can read road signs way off again.  I am also off of my high cholesterol medication.  My triglycerides were sky high and are now near normal.  HDL and LDL are within normal ranges as per the blood test.

Man-made processed foods is a killer.  Eat real food.  Give it 30 days and if you don't see a major difference, you've lost nothing in your life.

http://thepaleodiet.com/

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I put on a stubborn stress related 40 lbs when I moved to Florida about 6 years ago. Here is what I've been doing and it's working without any drama.

I'm reading labels and not eating unless I'm actually hungry.

The Amount of CARBS in stuff is off the charts. 80% of the grocery store is carbs or processed crap including all the drinks.  It's like a "let's make everyone in America fat and diabetic" conspiracy.

If you can keep your carb content per meal in the 45-50 grams range you will be on your way.  

I haven't had to cut them out......just be totally aware of them and eat what ever else I want.  I'm not really working out and about 2lbs per week is falling off. I drink about 6-8 big glasses of ice water daily as well.

Mixed nuts .....cottage cheese....yogurt (Plain w/honey)...for between meal snacks and I'm good to go.  YMMV.  Good luck OP.

Chips, soft drinks, Smartfood, cheetoes, pizza, and fast food......gone.  It worked when I was running and riding 300 miles per week but now.....not so much.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Tren hard, eat clen, and cyp protein.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I tried a ketogenic diet while trying to get my UC under control and ended up dropping some weight as a side effect. It worked for me because I just can't fucking stand vegetables and any diet that relies on them. If I could burn down every vegetable in the world I would do it.
View Quote

Even taters?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Even taters?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Even taters?

Taters are not a "vegetable"... they are delicious little carbohydrate bombs...

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Work out more, eat less and healthier.  Fuck supplements.  

Seriously burn more calories than you take in, that's all there is to losing weight.  

You can do it!
View Quote

lol

Do you even lift, bro?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even taters?

Taters are the enemy.

Eat bacon.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Even taters?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even taters?

Potatoes are tubers, not vegetables.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even taters?

They are indeed a category of vegetables.

Why are you not eating something that had a soul?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#34]
low carb like 20g carbs per day. 60g on your 'cheat' days or maybe if you start working out put it at 60g on your workout days only.
an apple has like 15g carbs so if you want to workout have an apple before workout then no more carbs the rest of the day.
if you eat lots of protein ie cheese tuna beef chicken you will feel way less hungry and it will stick better in your belly so your meal will last you longer before you get hungry.
you will loose weight quick for the first week or so then it will slow to 1-2 lbs per week.
really this is the best way to loose fat.
LISS cardio get on the treadmill at pump up the incline and walk 20-30 min. you should be breathing hard but still able to hold a conversation with someone that will burn the most calories per the amount of effort & time put in.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Dont get too hung up on weight. You know what you should weigh. I lost 25 pounds and 6 inches off of my waist since i went to the dr in april for weight, blood pressure, and acid reflux problems. Now im actually gaining some weight back but losing inches still. My dietician (idiot, i wont go back) told me to shoot for 170.

That was her opinion after i told her that i weighed 225 when i ran cross country/marathons in junior high and was so skinny you could count my ribs.

Only you know your body. I wouldnt worry about extra crap yet, everything you mentioned should get you there. Good luck!

Before my diet it wasnt uncommom for me to eat a large freschetta pizza, 3 large baking spuds fried, and 5 king size reese sticks for dinner.

Im not perfect now but i eat of lot of veggies, fruit, and other garbage that makes me want to kill myself. Life isnt even worth living at this point....but i digress.

I hope you get to feel the same pain and misery that i feel (diet). Some nights i want to tear all of the cabinets off the wall and empty the contents into my mouth like godzilla while i stomp the cocksuckers (wife and dr) that make me eat cardboard every day.

I get so fucking mad that i shake in an uncontrollable rage. Today i opened my cooler and she gave me a lettuce/chicken wrap and an orange.

What the fuck am i going to do with that?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:43:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Good Luck
View Quote

Maybe not, for realz. When a person hits that 40+ extra pound mark it is easy to hurt your knees and hips running/jogging. Ease into it and lose a few pounds, then start the run.

Working with a big fitness geek today, he said 80% of weight loss is at the table. I do not know if that is true or not.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:49:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So I have allowed myself to get into pretty piss poor shape and it is time to do something about it...

As of tomorrow I start working out at the gym and doing cardio... 5 nights a week... I am totally disgusted with myself for allowing myself to get into this kinda shape.

I have cut out all sugary drinks and am cutting back on proportions... plus moving to basically a low carb high protein diet.  

I have thought about adding a supplement as well, but I don't know shit about what is out there these days that is worth a fuck... any suggestions?
View Quote

What's your age & height?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:09:57 AM EDT
[#38]
In after the carb troofers

Count calories, eat a balanced diet, and exercise when you can. It really is that simple. Counting calories is the most important part.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:24:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:30:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:59:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dont get too hung up on weight. You know what you should weigh. I lost 25 pounds and 6 inches off of my waist since i went to the dr in april for weight, blood pressure, and acid reflux problems. Now im actually gaining some weight back but losing inches still. My dietician (idiot, i wont go back) told me to shoot for 170.

That was her opinion after i told her that i weighed 225 when i ran cross country/marathons in junior high and was so skinny you could count my ribs.

Only you know your body. I wouldnt worry about extra crap yet, everything you mentioned should get you there. Good luck!

Before my diet it wasnt uncommom for me to eat a large freschetta pizza, 3 large baking spuds fried, and 5 king size reese sticks for dinner.

Im not perfect now but i eat of lot of veggies, fruit, and other garbage that makes me want to kill myself. Life isnt even worth living at this point....but i digress.

I hope you get to feel the same pain and misery that i feel (diet). Some nights i want to tear all of the cabinets off the wall and empty the contents into my mouth like godzilla while i stomp the cocksuckers (wife and dr) that make me eat cardboard every day.

I get so fucking mad that i shake in an uncontrollable rage. Today i opened my cooler and she gave me a lettuce/chicken wrap and an orange.

View Quote

You've got some issues you need to get straightened out.

You must be 8 foot tall to be skin and bones at 225. That's really big. Don't give up though, your body is telling you that you've abised it way too long.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:12:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Tag
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:20:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In after the carb troofers

Count calories, eat a balanced diet, and exercise when you can. It really is that simple. Counting calories is the most important part.
View Quote

Not even close. The Kilocalorie is a measure of heat. Just like the BTU. It's barely relevant to the complex system that is digestion and the metabolic cycle.

The measurement needs to die in regards to food. It's simply not a straight conversion, we're not measuring energy to heat water. We're talking about creating amino acids and synthesizing compounds needed by the body using enzymes within our bodies. There's energy loss there. Then they need be transported to the correct cells.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#44]
You were in shape once, you can do it again. Best of luck. It's not easy. Especially if you love food like I do. I went from 250 to 193, back up to 230.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:41:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Start slow and work into it.  If you dive right in like you're 23 again you risk a lot of things, like injury, overtraining, and killing your motivation before you even build any momentum.  Diet truly is key.  I eat 4 to 5 times a day, but they're usually smaller portions.  Lean proteins, veggies, and brown rice are staples of mine.  Many fruits and fruit juices are not your friend, lots of sugar. Hit the weights 3-5 times a week with some short light cardio before you work out.  Mix in 2-3 balls out cardio days when your not lifting. Profit. Good luck man.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#46]
If you cut carbs, you usually cut fiber.  Take a fiber supplement, I use 2 tsp ground flax seed in water every day.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:23:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Keto and biking!

I'm down 34lbs since March

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait, wait.  You went from a pizza, three potatoes, and 5 candy bars to a chicken wrap and an orange?   Are you ONLY dieting, or are you working out as well?

If you're working out, you'll probably need more calories than that.  If JUST dieting, you probably will backslide and gain weight.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You sound like your on the right track OP. Remember biking is good because you really don't get your metabolism running until 30 mins of cardio. You can't run for 30 mins. Also get a heart rate monitor, to get in the right zone for burning fat. Too high burns muscle, not good. Too slow doesn't do enough to burn the fat. Lastly, never underestimate the benefit of fat shaming Seriously stand in the mirror and look at yourself until you like what you see.
View Quote

There is so, so, so much broscience around fitness.

You don't "get your metabolism running" and there is no such thing as a "fat burning zone."

Eat fewer calories than you burn in a given day, and you will lose weight. It is literally that simple. Find out your BMR, adjust calories to be 200-300 under that, and exercise. It is not rocket science, it just takes will power.

HIIT training is great, weight training is great. Fix your diet and get a VARIETY of exercise. You will lose weight.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu+90% vegetarian diet= 42 lbs lost since December for me.
View Quote

Came here to say this.

I dropped 25lbs in 6 months when I first started. We have a 17 year old kid that been training two years and he's lost 130lbs thus far.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top