User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw that already.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:07:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I had no idea about the book and movie... I am so excited right now! although it does seem half the cast of Interstellar is in it!
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:13:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eh... help me out here. Why would NASA not rescue the astronaut?
View Quote

UHHHHHhhh....cause you do not kill the rest of the crew to try and save one man, or risk destroying a multi-billion $$$$$$ space ship on said mission.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:15:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Book was phenomenal.  I didn't picture Matt Damon as the dude but hey Jessica Chastain.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:53:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Dammit, the ARF is costing me money again....Ordered the book.

There have been a lot of "Stranded on Mars" movies made when you think about it.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

Red Planet.

Mission to Mars.

The Angry Red Planet.

Lord knows how many 50s B-movies.

View Quote
Me too, got a business trip coming up.... So go buy the book or renew my membership

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:57:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Matt Damon going to try and doom humanity again?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Watching the trailer again, they used the same airlock alarm sound effect! Also Matt Damon's got his security blanket!

Still, I'm in! I got the book and have a whole day on planes today!
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

if they don't go back for him, good fucking luck getting kids to want to be astronauts.

"Daddy, you mean to tell them NASA doesn't believe in 'no man left behind'?  Fuckit, I'll join the Marines instead."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is more important. Risk the lives of the crew that escaped Mars and were on the return trajectory to Earth? Or risk all their lives on the attempted rescue of one person, Watney and potentially have all of them die?

if they don't go back for him, good fucking luck getting kids to want to be astronauts.

"Daddy, you mean to tell them NASA doesn't believe in 'no man left behind'?  Fuckit, I'll join the Marines instead."

NASA seems to have no problem getting kids to want to be astronauts after the Apollo 1 disaster that claimed three, after the Challenger disaster that claimed seven, and after the Columbia disaster which also claimed seven.

Astronauts know what they do (in space) is extremely dangerous and that they may be left to die or there won't be a rescue if there is an accident. It is the driving reason why there are typically redundant systems for their space craft and redundant plans. Its why they train excessively. But as with anything one cannot plan for every disaster. In the book this issue of do they risk the surviving crew is explored. From not telling the crew initially that he was alive because they'll think they left him there to die to ground side staff not wanting to risk the crew which had limited life support supplies and equipment on what was a risky plan with a low probability of success.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Sean Bean's in it?  Guess we know he won't survive.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Ill see it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Even with Matt Damon, I was in until the duct tape at 2:30. Duct tape to fix your space suit face mask? Really?!
View Quote

why wouldn't it work?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Agreed, but Ridley Scott is a good choice if you want to do a movie.

Hopefully it will be Interstellar in length.

Awesome book... couldn't stop finished it in two days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shoulda been a mini series

Agreed.  There's no way they can fit that much detail into a single movie.

Agreed, but Ridley Scott is a good choice if you want to do a movie.

Hopefully it will be Interstellar in length.

Awesome book... couldn't stop finished it in two days.

Eh "Interstellar" was a total let down of a movie. Not sure what I was expecting when going into it but that movie was a total flop in my "Opinion"
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

why wouldn't it work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even with Matt Damon, I was in until the duct tape at 2:30. Duct tape to fix your space suit face mask? Really?!

why wouldn't it work?

in the book its not duct tape
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why wouldn't it work?

Does NASA use Gorilla Tape?

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

not to spoilery but just being safe
Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

They're too busy doing Muslim outreach....
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Ouch
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm already at 4 hours! This is an awesome book! Absolutely awesome!
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Previously, Matt Damon played a space explorer stranded to die on a frozen planet, awaiting possible rescue.

Currently, Matt Damon plays a space explorer stranded to die on a not-so-frozen planet, awaiting possible rescue.
View Quote

Maybe next time he'll be launched into the sun.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Loved the book.

When I heard Matt Damon was starring in the movie, I lost all hope that the movie would be good.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The reality of long distance space travel just in our own Solar System is that there's often simply no way to "go get someone". The orbits don't line up. The ships don't have enough fuel, or enough food, or enough air, or are only meant to go for so long before getting a refit/refurb. Or even if you DO have the consumables, fuel, air, food, water, and you get lucky and nothing critical on the ship breaks because you suddenly took a two year mission and made it three, because to "go back for someone" means taking another loop around the sun.

Way, way, way too many people, even ones who are "smart" in their fields are just brainwashed by movies and television that a ship in space can just pull an Immleman and "turn around".

Even just in low Earth Orbit with the ISS or our shuttle 300-odd miles up, this could happen, a scenario where they're stranded, and they just have to wait to die.

With the shuttle Columbia disaster, burning up/breaking apart on re-entry, even if they knew about the hole in the carbon-carbon leading edge heat-shield in the wing of the orbiter.. there was nothing NASA could have done about it. There's no way to fix it in space. They didn't have the fuel to change orbits, synch up and dock with the ISS and wait there for a ride home. They didn't have the air, or enough hydrogen/oxygen for the fuel cells to maintain power and life support until another Shuttle could be readied to go up and get them.

I think people watch Apollo 13, and still don't understand just how lucky they were, that after "everything went wrong", they (NASA on the ground, and the astronauts) got everything "just right" by the skin of their teeth.

Maybe the one analogy people might get are when people die climbing Mt. Everest, and they just have to leave the bodies up there. There's nothing "extra" left over for the people still alive to do to get them back down. Or when a crew is trapped in a submarine, and for various reasons, they can't be rescued.
View Quote

Yep. Too many people including those who should know better believe the Hollywood version of space and Hollywood version of orbital dynamics and the Hollywood version of Newton's First Law.

One of the scenes I really liked in Apollo 13 that I bet many didn't think about was the whole sequence where the dirt side team tests out the procedure needed to keep the power draw down as well as the scene where the engineer guy dumps the parts on the table and says they have to figure out how to make "this fit into that". They don't see all the people behind the scenes who assisted in trying to bring home the crippled space craft and how close of a thing it was that all their efforts could have failed and lead to the deaths of the three astronauts if they got even one thing wrong.

The book, I thought, did a very good job at bringing a lot of science (but I assume not all of it) to the table and show what is needed to keep someone alive to eventually be rescued. Of course unsaid is the fact that if the main character didn't survive the book probably wouldn't be a best seller. The movie likewise would suck, well not for those who hate Matt Damon , if the main character wasn't rescued then died a slow lingering death and the rest of the crew died in the process or they decided not to attempt a rescue.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Previously, Matt Damon played a space explorer stranded to die on a frozen planet, awaiting possible rescue.

Currently, Matt Damon plays a space explorer stranded to die on a not-so-frozen planet, awaiting possible rescue.
View Quote

Third time's the charm?

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Can someone post a link to a free pdf download?

If the book was first put into the public domain by the author (as stated at beginning of this thread), there's no restriction on re-distributing the material.

Every web site I found wants something from me and are not free - be it an email address or other form of "registration".
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Loved the book.

When I heard Matt Damon was starring in the movie, I lost all hope that the movie would be good.
View Quote

I'm not happy about it either, I wish they had found some nobody to star in it.   I fucking hate Matt
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#25]
The trailer seems like it explained the whole movie plot already with predictable scenes and acting from that douchebag
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
prequel/get to know the characters snipit

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Trailer looks decent. Just downloaded the Kindle book, will start reading it tonight.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Mars is seriously the most boring of planets.  Do something new, like Venus or Mercury even.  Sheez.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Book was phenomenal.  I didn't picture Matt Damon as the dude but hey Jessica Chastain.
View Quote

I was hoping for Benedict Cumberbatch.

Or Owen Wilson.

Lol.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Mars is seriously the most boring of planets.  Do something new, like Venus or Mercury even.  Sheez.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I keep meaning to read the book.

I can't help wondering how badly Hollywood fucked it up.
View Quote

Book kicks ass.

Literally one of the best "reality" Sci Fi books I have ever read.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Physics is a harsh mistress.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Could be worse, they could have cast Adam Sandler as Watley.  "You can doeeet" repeated endlessly.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why wouldn't it work?

I haven't read that far ahead, but maybe that's the director's way of referring to one of his early lines in the book when he is doing his Robinson Crusoe thing and listing his supplies and says "turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape"
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Put the book on reserve at the library. Hadn't even heard of it before this thread.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

might be good.
View Quote
from the trailer it looks kind of cool,never read the book.

and FMD

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Could be worse, they could have cast Adam Sandler as Watley.  "You can doeeet" repeated endlessly.
View Quote

Zabadooo!
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Geez does Arfcom like anything?
View Quote

No.

With that said, I would like to see some sort of crash national program to develop the tech to be able to actually strand Matt Daimon on mars for real. IMO the first pres candidate from either party to call for a program to strand that fucktard on Mars within a decade wins the white house.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I wish we could send Matt Damon to Mars and leave him there.

Then Clooney and Affleck could dress up like Batmen and attempt a rescue, only to be stranded on Mars as well.

Then Darth Vader shows up with the new Death Star and blows up Mars.

I would pay to see that in IMAX 3D.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have no idea who you're talking about.

All I know is what I see from this trailer.  I haven't read the book -- lots of guys here are praising it, so I'll at least check a few pages out.

But I know movies are not books -- they are very different mediums for telling stories.  Books relate thoughts and movies depict surfaces.  You can infer one from the other, but there's lots of ambiguity in either direction.

I know the kind of material favored by the "stars" attached to this movie, and I know the influence a marquee name can have on a Hollywood production.  This does not make me hopeful for the integrity of the finished product.  I'd always like to be wrong, but I don't hold my breath.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you friends with S_A_C ?

I have no idea who you're talking about.

All I know is what I see from this trailer.  I haven't read the book -- lots of guys here are praising it, so I'll at least check a few pages out.

But I know movies are not books -- they are very different mediums for telling stories.  Books relate thoughts and movies depict surfaces.  You can infer one from the other, but there's lots of ambiguity in either direction.

I know the kind of material favored by the "stars" attached to this movie, and I know the influence a marquee name can have on a Hollywood production.  This does not make me hopeful for the integrity of the finished product.  I'd always like to be wrong, but I don't hold my breath.

Movie adaptations of books I haven't read tend to be the closest Hollywood gets to originality (from my perspective) in the modern era.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sean Bean's in it?  Guess we know he won't survive.  
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#44]
so...so much yes.

book was amazing, if the movie is half as good ill love it as well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://weknowmemes.com/generator/uploads/generated/g1359166629958441808.jpg

Meh, whatever.  I've seen this movie the 19 other times it's been made over the past twenty or so years.

Pick a new sci fi backdrop.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ill see it.
View Quote

When it hits Netflix.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Meh, whatever.  I've seen this movie the 19 other times it's been made over the past twenty or so years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are concerned about the back drop, than you are missing the point of sci fi
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
If you are concerned about the back drop, than you are missing the point of sci fi
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And if this movie is anything like the book - it is NOT like the "other 19 times" it has been made....

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If the book was first put into the public domain by the author (as stated at beginning of this thread), there's no restriction on re-distributing the material.

Every web site I found wants something from me and are not free - be it an email address or other form of "registration".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.misterswift.com/iSTEM/The_Martian_files/The%20Martian%20-%20Andy%20Weir.pdf

Before any freaks out, this is the copyright section of the book....

Copyright Info
“The Martian” is copyright © Andy Weir, 2011. All rights reserved.
The cover art is an image from NASA and is public domain.
All fonts in this document are public domain.
Redistribution of this e-book is permitted, so long as it is distributed
for free
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top