Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's in Sedalia?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was driving on I-85 in Wyoming last week and passed about 4 Minuteman silos. Some of them had homes within a stones throw away. Even one right outside of a town.

I'm from the 80s so I remember watching The Day After and that shit still scares me.

So would anyone willingly live beside one because odds are it'll never be used? Or would you not, knowing somewhere in Russia an SS-18 warhead has your homes coordinates dialed in? I guess it's not much different than living in Norfolk or Sedalia.

Just curious.

What's in Sedalia?

The Sierra bullet factory and possibly Starline brass.

It used to be you could go into Sierra's and buy factory seconds of bullets by the pound.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#2]
My uncle had them on his farm in North Dakota. One was right across the highway from his house.  The security police guys loved my aunt as she would cook food for them. They loved fried egg sandwiches and fresh fruit pies.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've always wondered if Davis Montham was a target somewhere on some Russkie nuke list.

If so, I'm proper fucked if the shizzle hits the fizzle.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm actually ON D-M right now.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#6]
For the record, the silos are the safest place to be.

Because in an actual nuclear exchange, they will be empty before the enemy can hit them.  so sending nuclear weapons against empty silos is a waste of inventory.

do you even game theory bro?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Was driving on I-85 in Wyoming last week and passed about 4 Minuteman silos. Some of them had homes within a stones throw away. Even one right outside of a town.

I'm from the 80s so I remember watching The Day After and that shit still scares me.

So would anyone willingly live beside one because odds are it'll never be used? Or would you not, knowing somewhere in Russia an SS-18 warhead has your homes coordinates dialed in? I guess it's not much different than living in Norfolk or Sedalia.

Just curious.
View Quote

I-85?  In Wyoming?  I call BS.

Lots of silos in my area, haven't seen much in the way of activity lately.  Used to see a crew, heavily armed with helicopters, working on them now and then.  They made you deter around the silos.  Now and then you would see a missile above ground.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just curious.
View Quote

that's true. you'd be much safer living next to a military base or a giant metro area
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just curious.
View Quote

You are lost. You were lost.  You need a map.

Interstate 85 (I-85) is a major interstate highway in the Southeastern United States. Its current southern terminus is at an interchange with Interstate 65 in Montgomery, Alabama; its northern terminus interchanges with Interstate 95 in Petersburg, Virginia, near Richmond. It is nominally north-south, but physically mostly northeast-southwest.

I grew up in a small town with the closest silo about 2 miles outside of town.  Still active as far as I know, but I haven't gone up and rattled the fence to see if anyone will show up.  The silos are all over the area it was just never a big deal, I always figured we would be some of the first to know if things really went to shit.  But then again if there is a launch people are going to see them take off from a couple hundred of miles away I would think.  Especially if it is night.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Grew up at VAFB in the '60's. Missiles going off every other week, night and day. Very cool for a kid.
View Quote

My dad was shooting those LGM-30s you saw. I was born at VAFB in '63.

One of his shots:

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious.

Yeah, he must be confused between I-25 and I-80. And the old Atlas silos are a lot easier to see, pretty much the only ones actually visible while driving on the Interstate. Back when I drove I-80 a lot there was even one for sale in Nebraska right off the freeway(just west of the Kimball exit). Then about 10 miles east there is a MM3 silo right next to the off-ramp for Dix.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I grew up in Groves, TX... Surrounded by petroleum refineries.

If the balloon had went up, we would have died in a flash of light.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Been there, done that!  Go 742nd!
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Better to live right under the first one than be part of the aftermath.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#15]
My BIL lives a mile and a half from an old Atlas E site that was part of the 548th squadron out of Topeka KS, it was operational from '61-'65. I never knew the site was there until last year when my wife and I were driving down a road that borders the farm we own and I asked her what the old concrete drive with the gate is. She said "it's the old missile base".

Curiosity has me wanting to take a walk down the road and check the base out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

it was operational from '61-'65.
View Quote

4 year service life. The amazing leaps in technology are surpassed only by the amazing amount of money spent on the programs.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I've always wondered if Davis Montham was a target somewhere on some Russkie nuke list.

View Quote

Oh, for sure.  In the 1970s, the Soviets had enough nukes to hit everywhere.

When I was in high school (late 70s) we were told that my area (Hill AFB) was on the Top 10 of the Soviet hit parade because of the Air Force Logistics Center there.  But I have since found out there are a lot of places that made that claim.

Kinda like something the local Chamber of Commerce would put on a welcome sign:  "Welcome to Hick Falls, Arkansas:  #5 on the Soviet Nuclear Hit List!"  

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, he must be confused between I-25 and I-80. And the old Atlas silos are a lot easier to see, pretty much the only ones actually visible while driving on the Interstate. Back when I drove I-80 a lot there was even one for sale in Nebraska right off the freeway(just west of the Kimball exit). Then about 10 miles east there is a MM3 silo right next to the off-ramp for Dix.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

I'll have to look next time I go by, I'm about 80 miles from Kimball.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

4 year service life. The amazing leaps in technology are surpassed only by the amazing amount of money spent on the programs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it was operational from '61-'65.

I agree, here is an aerial  picture of the base now.

to me it seems like a huge waste to spend millions of dollars on a site only to let it go when it's deemed obsolete. You'd think they could retrofit those old sites to hold the modern missiles.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My BIL lives a mile and a half from an old Atlas E site that was part of the 548th squadron out of Topeka KS, it was operational from '61-'65. I never knew the site was there until last year when my wife and I were driving down a road that borders the farm we own and I asked her what the old concrete drive with the gate is. She said "it's the old missile base".

View Quote

Do it.  Take pictures, if the landowner will let you.  There's several websites devoted to the current condition of missile sites.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quick death, no radiation sickness.
View Quote

This. Who would want to try and survive a thermonuclear exchange ?!
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
to me it seems like a huge waste to spend millions of dollars on a site only to let it go when it's deemed obsolete. You'd think they could retrofit those old sites to hold the modern missiles.
View Quote

Not at all.  That's like saying you could easily retrofit a Wright Flyer to carry an AIM-9.

In just 10 years, we went from liquid-fueled, radio-guided missiles with vacuum tubes in the guidance system, not much farther advanced from the V2, to a solid-fueled, inertially-guided, solid-state system.  Light-year leaps in technology in a very short period of time.

Read "A Fiery Peace in a Cold War", the story of Bernard Schreiver, and how he designed & built the missile systems.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What's in Sedalia?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

What's in Sedalia?

Sedalia, MO.

Whiteman AFB. B-2's and, more importantly, A-10's.

TC
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep that's them. I grew up in Missouri back when Whiteman had them. Saw silos on the side of the road there too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not much to them................That you can see, that is.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=33490

Yep that's them. I grew up in Missouri back when Whiteman had them. Saw silos on the side of the road there too.

Good old Sedalia is still a target, but a much nicer base, now.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Do it.  Take pictures, if the landowner will let you.  There's several websites devoted to the current condition of missile sites.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next time I'm down in KS I'll ask my BIL who owns the ground and see if I can get access to it. Even it the run down state the picture I found of it shows it would still be interesting to walk around it and know this was part of the country's line of defense during part of the Cold War.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Not at all.  That's like saying you could easily retrofit a Wright Flyer to carry an AIM-9.

In just 10 years, we went from liquid-fueled, radio-guided missiles with vacuum tubes in the guidance system, not much farther advanced from the V2, to a solid-fueled, inertially-guided, solid-state system.  Light-year leaps in technology in a very short period of time.

Read "A Fiery Peace in a Cold War", the story of Bernard Schreiver, and how he designed & built the missile systems.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Incidentally, the engineering program at my alma mater (Weber State) once used de-milled Minuteman missiles to put their satellites in orbit.

https://directory.eoportal.org/web/eoportal/satellite-missions/j/jawsat

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I would have no objection to living near one.

Those missiles will never fly, you can be assured of that.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

When I was in high school (late 70s) we were told that my area (Hill AFB) was on the Top 10 of the Soviet hit parade because of the Air Force Logistics Center there.  But I have since found out there are a lot of places that made that claim.

Kinda like something the local Chamber of Commerce would put on a welcome sign:  "Welcome to Hick Falls, Arkansas:  #5 on the Soviet Nuclear Hit List!"  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny but true.  Most people used to talk about how their area was on the Soviet target list.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That one is T-43 just outside of Valier MT. Inactive for quite some time.

I drive by it dozens of times per year.

I only caught one silo identifier- it was either B-8 or B-9, can't remember.

Well, pick'em out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90th_Missile_Wing_LGM-30_Minuteman_Missile_Launch_Sites

None in UT??
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Because in an actual nuclear exchange, they will be empty before the enemy can hit them.  so sending nuclear weapons against empty silos is a waste of inventory.

View Quote

I live in a town with auto manufacturing. I work in an Army warehouse (clothes, body armor,etc).

In an "all out" nuclear war I'm just going to turn on a radio, listen to the news, and wait. I will have zero chance of escape unless I'm already in my car and my son is already with me. There would probably be four or five warheads heading toward my town.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#32]
I visited the Minuteman Missile NHS in South Dakota.

Then later, on a trip from South Dakota to Denver, dropped down from Scott's Bluff NE on Highway 71.

It was cool seeing the active silos, launch control facilities, and occasionally passing an armed Humvee after I had learned all about them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

None in UT??
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That one is T-43 just outside of Valier MT. Inactive for quite some time.

I drive by it dozens of times per year.

I only caught one silo identifier- it was either B-8 or B-9, can't remember.

Well, pick'em out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90th_Missile_Wing_LGM-30_Minuteman_Missile_Launch_Sites

None in UT??

It would have turned out differently if Jimmy The Geek had gotten his way with the MX system:

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/05/23/us/pomp-and-mx-circumspection-for-utah-class-of-2.html

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Funny but true.  Most people used to talk about how their area was on the Soviet target list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grew up and still live next to Barksdale AFB. HQ of Global Strike Command, 8th AF, 2nd and 307th Bomb Wings. B-52's. We'd be about the first place hit.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Well for one thing Russia would more than likely miss the site anyway and if they did hit it it there missle still has to go off.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#36]
J
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

Yeah, I've driven the big truck and stopped at that off ramp, that's not too far from the original Cabelas, which for some reason was closed at 5AM.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

None in UT??
View Quote

Nope.

Atlas missiles in WA(Fairchild) and CA(Vandenburg - not just a test site, but the only missile field that was actually ON a base), Titans in CA(Beale), WA(Larson), and ID(Mountain Home). Utah gets no missile love

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know, that's what I've always thought. In a true launch event, no matter who fires first, the other side will immediately return fire. So why would you waste a warhead on an empty missle silo? Especially due to the fact that most of these silos are located in lesser populated areas....? Am I missing something? Why does everyone assume that silos are targets?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What's in Sedalia?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

What's in Sedalia?

That's what I'd like to know too.  I'm guessing he's talking about the Minuteman II's that used to be in the missile fields from Whiteman.  They decommissioned them back in the 90's but you can still see where some of the silo's used to be.  I saw one or two of them north of Sedalia along 65.

Guess he could be talking about Whiteman AFB too.  I see that as more Warrensburg but I guess it could be considered in the Sedalia area.  Further west, though.  I don't think the Russians would waste a missile on Sedalia just because it has Sierra and Starline.  Used to be the Frisco Railroad headquarters so it used to be a big rail center but not anymore.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What's in Sedalia?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

What's in Sedalia?

Tell me where Interstate 85 is first.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#41]
How do they get to the missile sites?  You never see cars parked outside.  Is there a door with a buzzer?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How do they get to the missile sites?  You never see cars parked outside.  Is there a door with a buzzer?
View Quote
Helicopter
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#43]
USAF: Solitary Sentinels: Guarding America's ICBMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqZ9XvzFiqw

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
JYeah, I've driven the big truck and stopped at that off ramp, that's not too far from the original Cabelas, which for some reason was closed at 5AM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
J
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

Yeah, I've driven the big truck and stopped at that off ramp, that's not too far from the original Cabelas, which for some reason was closed at 5AM.

Original Cabelas is downtown Sidney, 40 miles east of Kimball.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC, there is a helicopter team on standby 24-365.  Not sure what would happen during a blizzard?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
J
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.  I used to live in Sidney and shop there when it was the only Cabelas.  It was outrageously overpriced even then, but the "bargain basement" used to be absolutely amazing, stuff was like 75% off or more.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You know, that's what I've always thought. In a true launch event, no matter who fires first, the other side will immediately return fire. So why would you waste a warhead on an empty missle silo? Especially due to the fact that most of these silos are located in lesser populated areas....? Am I missing something? Why does everyone assume that silos are targets?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The silos can be reloaded and used for more launches.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#48]
those missile silos could be decoy sites
you probably will never see the ones that will actually launch.
they will come from space, man. space.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Interstate 85 (I-85) is a major interstate highway in the Southeastern United States. Its current southern terminus is at an interchange with Interstate 65 in Montgomery, Alabama; its northern terminus interchanges with Interstate 95 in Petersburg, Virginia, near Richmond. It is nominally north-south, but physically mostly northeast-southwest.

I grew up in a small town with the closest silo about 2 miles outside of town.  Still active as far as I know, but I haven't gone up and rattled the fence to see if anyone will show up.  The silos are all over the area it was just never a big deal, I always figured we would be some of the first to know if things really went to shit.  But then again if there is a launch people are going to see them take off from a couple hundred of miles away I would think.  Especially if it is night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

Highway 85 north of Cheyenne. Get on the satellite view and start going North and you will see them just off the road.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cheyenne,+WY/@41.412365,-104.4372725,19z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x876f38762e73ef93:0xb10a30418f972d2b?hl=en
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#50]
When I grew up I lived next to a Nike-Hercules launch facility.  I kept hoping one would blaze its way into the sky and take out a squadron of commie bombers with its W31 boosted fission warhead (nominal yield 20kt.)
Page / 5
Top Top