Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/4/2015 10:46:05 AM EDT
I saw this posted in a comment a few months ago somewhere in GD and it still has me thinking.

Do you agree with the "Orphanage Rules" of a self defense shooting, in that all bad guys get firsts before anybody gets seconds? That is, one round on or towards each bad guy before any of them receive follow up shots.

I can see some validity from both sides, so I'm just playing devil's advocate. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You're asking for black and white answers for gray area questions. It all depends on the scenario.  For instance: 1) One guy has a visible gun.  He gets drilled till the threat is abated then assess the others.  2) Two or more visible guns.  The one that is closest or has the best line of sight (Ie: deemed the most imminent threat) on me gets drilled first then assess.  The others may run, dive for cover, I may be diving for cover.

If you go into a gunfight with a pre-conceived notion of how its going down, there is 99.9% chance it will go down differently.  No strategy survives first contact.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The way I see it is you keep shooting the guy who is the  immediate threat until he stops. Then you move to the others if they are trying to engage.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you put one drop of oil on each axle until they are all satisfied... or do you oil the loudest and most squeakiest one first?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Too many variables.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too many variables.
View Quote

But... If I were to generalize I would give each man a round if there were 3 or more. 2 assailants I would be tempted to give #1 a couple of rounds while I was on target before moving to #2.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Too many variables.
View Quote

That's what I said.  I just used a few more words.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You're asking for black and white answers for gray area questions. It all depends on the scenario.  For instance: 1) One guy has a visible gun.  He gets drilled till the threat is abated then assess the others.  2) Two or more visible guns.  The one that is closest or has the best line of sight (Ie: deemed the most imminent threat) on me gets drilled first then assess.  The others may run, dive for cover, I may be diving for cover.

If you go into a gunfight with a pre-conceived notion of how its going down, there is 99.9% chance it will go down differently.  No strategy survives first contact.
View Quote

This.  

There's no right or wrong answer because you just can't lay out every single aspect of a hypothetical situation, and then seek to train against that one unique occurrence.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Tactical order....

I rather be lucky
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#10]
People are unpredictable.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#11]

I guess the assumption is you only have one gun instead of a gun in each hand.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too many variables.

Big words and long sentences scare me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
People are unpredictable.

View Quote

Some of them just wont go down Fucks up my rhythm
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But... If I were to generalize I would give each man a round if there were 3 or more. 2 assailants I would be tempted to give #1 a couple of rounds while I was on target before moving to #2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too many variables.

i agree, if all the bad guys are next to each other then move around but if you have to rotate more than a few degrees, it doesn't make sense to me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Tactical priority is the term i've heard tossed around by various folks.  

What represents the greatest threat?  decide that and engage that threat first.  

Of course this is all very rigid concepts for what can turn out to be a very fluid and changing situtation.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Shoot the first one until you feel that you've shot him enough and then move onto the next.

Maybe that's one round. More likely it's several.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

prioritize the threats and address appropriately. who's closest? who has the most potential to do immediate/serious harm to you?

then other things like what is your ammo situation? do you have cover? an avenue to retreat? can you fight your way to cover or create an avenue of retreat?

any absolutes or hard rules like "everyone gets one before anyone gets two" dont belong in a gun fight.....besides survive. thats the only absolute.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#18]
There's a video where a cop shoots the bad guy and then the wounded  guy gets up and kills the cop while he is engaging a second suspect. I think it's in the stick up robbery thread.  You just never know till the bullets start flying. Depends on the situation.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#19]

That's a great scene!

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#21]
one size doe not fit all.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends. What kind of cover do I have? Am I out in the open and need to neutralize everyone as quickly as possible, or do I have cover or they don't quite know where I am where I might have time to engage each target multiple times before moving on? What weapon am I using? A weak handgun that may require follow-up shots to ensure bad guy stoppage, or a rifle with some power that's guaranteed to drop them unless it's a really bad shot? How many of them are armed? Are other people in imminent danger of dying?

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Mozambique drill for everyone.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Given that all opponents were armed, I was taught to put one in each.  Leader (if obvious) first and henchmen next.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd really like to put two in the first threat in tactical priority then assess further.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#26]

First think I thought of

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too many variables.

Yes, and yes.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#29]
As said, pretty vague, but I'd rather kill one than wound two.  To each their own.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
As said, pretty vague, but I'd rather kill one than wound two.  To each their own.
View Quote

Even if #2 is shooting at you the entire time?

I really hope that is your lisc. plate.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Kinda like Josey Wales said. You size 'em up according to how ready they are. If somebody is clearly primed to go, he gets a couple before anybody else gets one. My inexperienced $.02.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having two wounded people shooting at you is worse that one person shooting at you.  Just basic math man.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I like the idea but think that if you have one target acquired, go ahead and give them a couple of servings rather so you don't have to come back around.  How about everyone gets three servings before anyone gets fourths?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Double tap the most imminent threat. Situations are fluid. Follow up on the ones hit, if need be. Just get some hits on target.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Having two wounded people shooting at you is worse that one person shooting at you.  Just basic math man.  Sorry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not math. Getting "metal on man" will severely alter their proficiency, giving you more time to clean up the mess.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#36]
There are no right or wrong answer, tactical order and tactical sequence are both tools, and it heavily depends on the situation and the shooter's skill level.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Aren't followup shots on the same target faster than transitioning to a second target?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would rather stop 2 than kill 1.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Aren't followup shots on the same target faster than transitioning to a second target?
View Quote

My splits are normally in the 17-20 range. Transitions depend entirely on target size and distance. Putting 2 on each would definitely be quicker than 1 each and return for another 1 on each.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's not math. Getting "metal on man" will severely alter their proficiency, giving you more time to clean up the mess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I was speaking of - it seems entirely logical that I can get two shots on Target A before I can bounce back and forth between Target A and B while they are both moving around.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Most dangerous target gets shot until he's down, then move on to the next dangerous one.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Too many variables for such a black and white answer.  Things to consider:

1.  Which threat is closest?
2.  What is the threat level from light to extreme, and their proximity to you?
3.  What type of cover do you have?
4.  What are your surroundings, i.e. bystanders, your ability to improve your position before shooting anyone or shooting anyone again,
    etc?
5.  Does shooting the first threat change the minds of the threat's buddies?
6.  Do you have sufficient ammo to continue shooting?  (such as if you are only carrying a 5 shot revolver)

There are very few scenarios that lend themselves to black and white answers.  People seeking black and white answers usually don't know enough about levels of force, use of deadly force, deadly force statutes, report writing, the force continuum, the three requirements for use of deadly force (ability, means, and intent) and other "bookish" knowledge things related to use of deadly force.  After studying all these things, most people realize that giving black and white answers to scenario questions is a fools errand.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Too many variables.
View Quote

"The variables are too damn high."
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Mozambique drill for everyone.
View Quote

Yo homie... Is that my briefcase?

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The way I see it is you keep shooting the guy who is the  immediate threat until he stops. Then you move to the others if they are trying to engage.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Seems like something I may add to the Weekly Challenge for science and all.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Shoot the first one until you feel that you've shot him enough and then move onto the next.

Maybe that's one round. More likely it's several.
View Quote

Shoot the first one 'till HE thinks you've shot him enough.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This is what I was speaking of - it seems entirely logical that I can get two shots on Target A before I can bounce back and forth between Target A and B while they are both moving around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Logic is not experience. Spend one weekend and 1500 rounds shooting multiple targets under my tutelage and you will be hitting 2 targets .02 seconds slower than 2 shots on one target.
Have you tried this with a shot timer? Realistic split times for multiple, somewhat aimed shots is 0.20 seconds, 0.17 - 0.16 with practice. Initially transition split (one hit on a target and then another target is about .35 sec. 1,000 rounds later you target transitions will be in the .22 - .18 sec zone.

If you put 5 rounds into one guy while 2 others are shooting at you unimpeded that is one second of directed fire from 2 assailants. Now you're going to drive #2 to the ground while number 3 gets a full second of undisturbed shooting practice with you as the target. Even with an untrained 0.35 split you can shoot everyone in the first second of gunfire. Now in the next second everyone is hurting from your superior marksmanship. someone flinches and gets 2 more. Now you have 2 guys with a bullet in them to fight and one guys with three in him. No one is taking any unhindered shots at you. So my way you are fighting 3 wounded, possibly severely guys at 1.5 secs. Your way you have shot one guy to death, you're working on number2 and number 3 is dumping rounds into with no distractions at all. Where would you really want to be at 1.5 secs. In your scenario or mine.*

*All times are estimates from extensive shooting on the shoot timer to decide on certain tactical decisions, i.e. experience. Don't even get me started on moving while shooting.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Self defense shooting situations are too varied to have any such "rule".

For instance not all bad guys are necessarily in view when the shooting starts... One bad guy might pose more of a threat than another... like them having a gun... You'd want to make sure that one isn't capable of firing back before moving on to lesser threats.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Multiple targets?

Greatest threat to least threat, closest to farthest.  

You probably won't have time to evaluate it properly when the SHTF.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top