Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/28/2015 5:24:22 PM EDT
20 or 30 years ago.

Maybe because everything's a crossover now or otherwise has similiar body style.

In the 80's, 70's cars looked really dated.

Likewise 80's cars in the 90's.

Past 10 or 15 years, if a car is well maintained and clean, most look like they're 3 or 4 years old instead of 10 or 12.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
CAFE standards forcing most car designs to be more aerodynamic... So the overall shape doesn't change much.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree. My 2004 doesn't look nearly as dated in 2015 as a 1993 would in 2004.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Because they're all so ho-hum and everything looks the same these days. Cars don't have personality anymore.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I was born in the 40s and every year new cars had a different look. It was a big deal to see the 57 Chevy become a 58. A 57 T-bird become a 58. Aerodynamics was not a factor back then. STYLE was the big deal.

Today, aerodynamics rule car design. Mirrors, shapes of grills, tail lights, roof lines have a huge impact on MPG. You will never see a new car look like a 59 Caddy. It's too bad because all cars look pretty much the same.

I'd love to see a 1940 Ford coupe with modern suspension and runnig gear.

The Feds really screwed up car design.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Nissan seems to only change body styles every 5 years or so...and then they sometimes shift body styles to other models, like the 2004 Altima was the body of the 2002 Maxima, IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Body styles don't change as frequent as they did in the past and when they do now its minor changes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#7]
My repainted 2008 truck looks brand new (hail damage).
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I think my 2003 F-150 still looks pretty sleek and stylish for how old it is.  It's aged well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree. My 2004 doesn't look nearly as dated in 2015 as a 1993 would in 2004.
View Quote

The mustang fits your example perfectly
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was born in the 40s and every year new cars had a different look. It was a big deal to see the 57 Chevy become a 58. A 57 T-bird become a 58. Aerodynamics was not a factor back then. STYLE was the big deal.

Today, aerodynamics rule car design. Mirrors, shapes of grills, tail lights, roof lines have a huge impact on MPG. You will never see a new car look like a 59 Caddy. It's too bad because all cars look pretty much the same.

View Quote

Honestly, all I need is A/C. I'd daily drive this, my dads recently restored 1932 5 window coupe.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
CAFE standards forcing most car designs to be more aerodynamic... So the overall shape doesn't change much.

View Quote

Yeah, it's a trim piece here, a window contour there, etc.  The overall shape stays the same though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Its not just cars. Hairstyles, clothing and other things that I'm probably not thinking of really haven't changed much, except for the more extreme edges of society. If you watch a movie from 2005, or even 2000, you'll be hard pressed to tell the release date, as long as they didn't show something like a computer or cell phone.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Took a trip a few weeks ago on a motorcycle and couldn't help but notice how ugly the rear ends on most are..some are so hideous I don't see how any designer thought "oh, that looks good!"..just a roundish blob shape with tail lights somewhere in there
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Its not just cars. Hairstyles, clothing and other things that I'm probably not thinking of really haven't changed much, except for the more extreme edges of society. If you watch a movie from 2005, or even 2000, you'll be hard pressed to tell the release date, as long as they didn't show something like a computer or cell phone.
View Quote

The only dated thing about The Matix was the flip phone.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree, and also agree that it's attributed to generic styling.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#16]
90's body styles were the absolute worst. 80's were pretty bad too. 60's are kick ass. Early 70's too. That said, the mechanical dependability and longevity of today's cars are so far ahead of those years it unreal.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I notice even the most standard economy models now come pretty well "loaded" with air, power everything, sound system, carpeting etc. compared to the past when the base model was truly that and you could easily double the price by checking off the long list of options.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Because they're all so ho-hum and everything looks the same these days. Cars don't have personality anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bingo

Quoted:

I'll probably be getting one of those Too cheap to spend a grand every year for phone service
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Cars with clean, mature, and refined lines tend to stand up to the test of time.  Very trendy designs date themselves quickly.  That is why I choose European makes more often than not.  My test is, what will I think of that car in a year or two?  There are some models that you think are cool but realize that after a year or two, you're simply going to despise it.  The Challenger and Camaro are good examples.  I can't stand the sight of those cars now. Plenty of others I can't think of off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol don't forget the leather.

but yeah 98 or so it seems like we plateaued in regards to mainstream style.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I think my 2003 F-150 still looks pretty sleek and stylish for how old it is.  It's aged well.
View Quote

A friend of my wife got an Acura 4 door from her mother used.  It's about 12 years old and looks like it could be 3 years old.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nissan seems to only change body styles every 5 years or so...and then they sometimes shift body styles to other models, like the 2004 Altima was the body of the 2002 Maxima, IIRC.
View Quote

Most models seem to run a ~6 year interval for generations with a ~3yr mid-cycle refresh.

The more utilitarian vehicles go even longer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you look at any given time in automotive history, the majority of the vehicles being sold in a given year look very similar to each other.

In the '70s, they looked like big boxes.
In the '80s, they looked like electric shavers.
In the '90s, they looked melted.
In the '00s, cars started moving more towards a bubble shape, and in the last few years, more and more designs are adding sharp, chiseled lines.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#24]
My 20 year old Ferrari (F355) still looks fresh.........
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#25]
A bar of soap transcends time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Yeah, it's a trim piece here, a window contour there, etc.  The overall shape stays the same though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yep grills and lights changes

thats about it

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

A bar of soap transcends time.
View Quote

Old for a head of lettuce. For a mountain, not yet begun in years.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn, just looked up what used ones go for.  (I've always wanted a F355, despite the F360 being the "dream car" of most when I got my licence)

Back to my Porsche 944 turbo plan.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Damn, just looked up what used ones go for.  (I've always wanted a F355, despite the F360 being the "ream car" of most when I got my licence)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, just looked up what used ones go for.  (I've always wanted a F355, despite the F360 being the "ream car" of most when I got my licence)

You know you want to.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good.  Cars are an appliance and style should be one of the last considerations.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes, I agree newer model cars look better longer when maintained.
I have a 2011 Optima and many people I know ask me when I am going on my cruise.

They ask this because the local dealership was giving away cruises with the purchase of a new optima earlier this year.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Good.  Cars are an appliance and style should be one of the last considerations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is America.  The constitution gives me the right to drive a ballin V8 RWD gas guzzler that makes the ladies moist.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bingo

I'll probably be getting one of those Too cheap to spend a grand every year for phone service
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo

Quoted:

Stop using the big companies directly and use a reseller like Straight Talk or Page Plus.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#35]
A 2015 Harley looks right at home next to a 1950 Harley even though mechanically they are worlds apart. Real style never goes out of style.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is America.  The constitution gives me the right to drive a ballin V8 RWD gas guzzler that makes the ladies moist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aren't you an accountant or a lawyer or something?  I imagine you being about 5' 10", a bit nerdy, and driving an Accord.  I'm seeing a lot of cargo shorts with belts.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

So true.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A 2015 Harley looks right at home next to a 1950 Harley even though mechanically they are worlds apart. Real style never goes out of style.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#39]
that's because they all look the same--aerodynamics doesn't change.

they all look like electric shavers to me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A friend of my wife got an Acura 4 door from her mother used.  It's about 12 years old and looks like it could be 3 years old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to drive a 2004 Acura TL. It would still look just fine in my driveway today.

That's the only car that I've traded in that I truly miss
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:22:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah my 2012 Titan is almost exactly the same body style as the 2005. Nissan don't like change.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Nissan may make some decent looking trucks, their cars are generally HIDEOUS.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hair style and clothing has changed dramatically.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Cars with clean, mature, and refined lines tend to stand up to the test of time.  Very trendy designs date themselves quickly.  That is why I choose European makes more often than not.  My test is, what will I think of that car in a year or two?  There are some models that you think are cool but realize that after a year or two, you're simply going to despise it.  The Challenger and Camaro are good examples.  I can't stand the sight of those cars now. Plenty of others I can't think of off the top of my head.
View Quote
Bingo...

Mid 90s Lexus LS400

Other than a cassette tape deck. The entire car looks like it could've been made yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bingo...  

Mid 90s Lexus LS400

http://www.cars-directory.net/pics/lexus/ls400/1994/lexus_ls400_a1253332802b3037989.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Lexus-LS400.jpg

http://www.cars-directory.net/pics/lexus/ls400/1994/lexus_ls400_a1253332802b3037989_3.jpg

http://www.jdmvipcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/interior.jpg

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2010/12/20/06/24/1996_lexus_ls_400_4_dr_std_sedan-pic-2319508684687418565.jpeg

Other than a cassette tape deck. The entire car looks like it could've been made yesterday.

I don't fully agree but it's not a drastic departure either.

I guess new cars are adding straight lines and flat surfaces to distinguish themselves from how they have all looked the past 15 years. I do like my 9 year old daily driver still looking modern though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#47]
More proof that the days and clocks are running at a faster rate.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Aren't you an accountant or a lawyer or something?  I imagine you being about 5' 10", a bit nerdy, and driving an Accord.  I'm seeing a lot of cargo shorts with belts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In other words, styling and profiling?  I'm pretty sure cargo shorts are GQ.

Damn phone!!

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah my 2012 Titan is almost exactly the same body style as the 2005. Nissan don't like change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because Nissan was planning to kill production of the Titan and sell rebadged Dodges around 2009-2010. Chrysler going to Fiat killed that plan. Nissan kept the Titan alive and began development of the second generation truck that comes out in the 2016 MY.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bingo...  

Mid 90s Lexus LS400

http://www.cars-directory.net/pics/lexus/ls400/1994/lexus_ls400_a1253332802b3037989.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Lexus-LS400.jpg

http://www.cars-directory.net/pics/lexus/ls400/1994/lexus_ls400_a1253332802b3037989_3.jpg

http://www.jdmvipcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/interior.jpg

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2010/12/20/06/24/1996_lexus_ls_400_4_dr_std_sedan-pic-2319508684687418565.jpeg

nah that car looks old as F
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top