Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/28/2015 1:28:53 PM EDT
Not as part of your job, but to save money by not taking it to a repair place or buying a new one. Example is the guy that had GD help him fix his brake lights.

I fixed with some YouTube help my folks' Roomba. It was erroring that the brushes needed cleaning, but they were brand new. I had noticed a clicking sound coming from it for the minute or so it would run before shutting down, so I Googled "Roomba clicking sound". A couple of vids came up. The sound is actually the motor reversing direction thinking there is something stuck in the brushes, when the real cause is too much current draw to turn the brushes. One of the vids showed disassembling the cleaning head of the unit and lubrication and if needed cleaning of the gears that drive the brushes. My folks' Roomba is six years old and the grease had hardened to the point it was like a glue and it took too much current to operate. I didn't have lithium grease handy so we used some Vaseline to lube it up. Reinstalled everything and it fired right up an went about doing womens work though I might have to do it again with real grease. The folks' were ready to buy a new one, I thought they were still about $300, but they said near $700 these days and thank you. I told them there was no good beer in the fridge.

You gotta love the Internet.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm working on fixing a S&W 625 that's giving me light primer strikes with a light Wolff mainspring, if USPS would ever get my replacement extended firing pin here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Milk steamer on my DeLonghi espresso machine.  Internet and $15 part.

Heating element on my dryer.  Internet and $35 part.

Six pack mini fridge at work.  Some 3 in 1 oil on the fan and new thermal compound between the heat sink and peltier chip.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Pulled a rather large splinter out of my daughters foot last night. I enjoy the payment of "I love you Daddy, thank you".  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Bushhog. Shitty weak design. I welled some reinforcement on.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Installed new fuel lines and filter in a freebie Homelite weed whacker.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#6]
MIL dryer on Tuesday - ran without lint trap and sock stuck in fan
My truck tonight - GMC and driver side will randomly blow hot until you restart truck  - found videos on youtube

Is this not a daily or at least weekly occurrence to be fixing something?  Does everyone just "call a guy" now?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Put a new battery in the wife's car.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Swapped out the rusted to pieces muffler in my e36 for a non-rusted to pieces one from ebay, 45 minutes.  Also soldered up the broken trunk wire harness in same instead of paying $80 for a replacement harness.  Works like a champ.  Total saved over using new parts: $355.  Total saved over getting somebody else to do it: 2 arms and a leg.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#9]
One of these:  

The lower valve housing had ruptured.  Had to cut the PVC pipes, fit new ones to the new anti-siphon, and glue them into place.  Just wrapped it all up with insulation and pipe tape yesterday, after two weeks of monitoring to make sure everything was tight.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Replaced the backseat in-seat retractable seat belt on my wife's 4Runner that our dog chewed through.  Thought it was going to be a lot more involved but actually wasn't too bad.  Had to remove the leather and cushion to get to it.  Only cost me $150 for a new seat belt assembly.

Fixed my 1-year old Maytag dishwasher's control panel that kept failing.  Basically the buttons would end up not working so it could not be operated.  Ended up taking an exacto knife and making cuts between the traces on the flex circuit connector where moisture was causing the traces to "grow" together and short out.  After making the cuts I applied some liquid electronics coating to seal it all up.  Has been working just fine since the fix.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#11]
An old 30 Amp 12 volt power supply out of some kind of Miller welder.  I found two cold solder joints in it and I just finished fixing it a few minutes ago.  Also three HIOS industrial. rechargeable battery powered screw drivers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Chalked my GF's shower grouting in a few places last Monday.

It was idiot's work, for the most part.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I fix pretty much everything, even if it doesn't need fixing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Guest room tv blanked out. Two new capacitors on the power supply board and back in business.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Fixed the blinkers on my DualSport
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I fixed lunch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guest room tv blanked out. Two new capacitors on the power supply board and back in business.
View Quote

I've got 2 plasma TV's (Panasonic) with the 10 blinks of death on both of them.

Care to help a brother out ?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#18]
A while back I fixed a computer monitor, but nothing lately.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Replaced a starter pull on a pressure washer I got for free.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Neighbor ran his wood chipper without the oil cap on causing to to blow out oil and bind up. I pulled the plug and added a few drops of mystery oil. I used a long screwdriver to gently rotate flywheel and break the piston free. I refilled the oil and it started and ran first pull. Tested under load just fine. Tried to return it to neighbor and he refused so now I own a chipper. I don't really need a chipper .
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Yesterday I jumpered out a bad reverse cutout "safety" switch on my zero turn mower.  2 cents worth of wire and 4 spade connectors.  Made my 10yo daughter help and I'd like to think she learned something.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#22]
The carb on my f250 was sticking open. Not letting it rev under 1500 rpm if it was brought up that far. So I soaked it in carb cleaner but that didn't work. Figured out the spring that pulls everything closed was to weak. Cut some of the spring off and put it back in. Works fine now
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I put a discarded, bent up folding canopy (10'x10') back in operation.
The legs were bent at the top so I removed them, cut them off just past the bent part and drilled a new detent hole.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#24]
So far this week...

- Dead bolt lock on back door
- Garage door opener
- Weed wacker
- Coffee table

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Blown blower control module on my 06 silverado. Pretty common issue, ordered online, spliced 3 wires due to a new design, 30 mins later, AC was blowing again.
Laughed at the comment from my mother in law to take it to a garage to have it done.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I changed a tire on my motorcycle.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Check out lcdalternatives.com for capacitors.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Trying to fix death wobble with my Jeep.  Going to be replacing the drag link soon.  Also need to change the rear lower control arms on my Grand Cherokee to fix the wandering problem i'm having.  Changed the front rotors and pads on my wife's F150 last week.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Bushhog. Shitty weak design. I welled welded some reinforcement on.
View Quote
I taught this guy how to spell "welded".

I couldn't help it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I fixed my new cat.

Man there was a lot of blood...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The carb on my f250 was sticking open. Not letting it rev under 1500 rpm
if it was brought up that far. So I soaked it in carb cleaner but that
didn't work. Figured out the spring that pulls everything closed was to
weak. Cut some of the spring off and put it back in. Works fine now
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Mother got a new condo.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I replaced a light bulb in my bathroom.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Lawnmower

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Fixed my neighbors power washer. He was cleaning his boat off at the dock and the vibration of the motor caused it to tumble in the water. Was honestly the funniest thing / sound I saw and heard. He fished it out of the water and put it by the garbage to be thrown out thinking it was ruined. Since this was saltwater, i just hosed it off and sprayed it with oil to prevent rusting, and removed the plug until I found the time to work on it. I found some time last week and decided to completely pull it apart.

Got it all disassembled and and got the remaining water out of it, cleaned the carburetor out, and reassembled it. Took 5-6 pulls to start it initially but after that it starts 1st pull. Took it back over to the neighbor and he seemed shocked it actually worked. Offered to give me $100 for my efforts but I declined since it didn't cost anything.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Kohler lawnmower engine. Absolute garbage, I wish I'd never seen it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Replaced fans in an old Cisco 2980G 80 port switch that sounded like a busted chainsaw.  Customer didn't want to spend money on either a new switch or actual replacement fans that just plug in.  Pulled fans from a few PC power supplies that were the right size and grafted the wiring.  Works fine.  Wouldn't have done it except they are a friend of the boss.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#38]
New radiator in my son's car.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I changed a tire on my motorcycle.  

View Quote

Harder than it seems without the right tools..
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I repair smartphones, video game consoles, computers, and most other mobile devices on the side.

The last thing I fixed was replacing a bad BR laser in a PS3
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://youtu.be/QdzHq1kUYXM

Trying to fix death wobble with my Jeep.  Going to be replacing the drag link soon.  Also need to change the rear lower control arms on my Grand Cherokee to fix the wandering problem i'm having.  Changed the front rotors and pads on my wife's F150 last week.
View Quote

Use performance bushings when you replace them. Sometimes overkill is just what you need, you'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Killed the mouse that was skittering around the attic for a couple nights.

Snap-traps with sunflower seeds glued to the trip lever. Lights out!

Was a big hero with the family for about 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Replaced inside and outside front pasenger side door latches on 1998 Camry.

Replaced in tank Fuel pump on a 2000 Crown Vic.

Fixed my leaking Reverse Osmosis water tap.
Edit; also did front brakes and rotors on same Crown Vic.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Fixed a leak in my roof by smearing roofing cement on anything that could potentially be a leak.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I fix lots of network hardware, monitors, etc that have blown caps.  Bought one of those Atlas ESR70 ESR testers for finding marginal caps.  Really a slick tool on my bench that sees a lot of use.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Fixed some of my camera accessories. Repaired a broke wire in the motor drive and fixed a sticking f/stop shutter in my macro bellows.

Did some routine maintenance on the Jeep.

Installed a new ceiling fan and light in my office.

Wife and I are doing some re-upholstery work.

Nothing really new or out of the ordinary for us though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#47]
new gaskets in my riding mower

welded mower housing

replaced pump on my pressurized sprayer and gave it a new improved spray wand

patched holes in vinyl siding

replaced broken light switch in my F150

pulled and reseated leaky toilet..

built my new form 1 can....

and the list goes on and on...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Hmmmm...

Brake light switch on kids car.

Kids review mirror fell off.

Replaced shitter.

Replaced leaky service line on bathroom sink fixture

Past two weeks
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Fixed the speaker on a Baofeng UV-5R.

Rebuilt a battery pack for a Yaesu FT-727R, upgraded from 500mAh NiCD to 1600mAh NiMH.

Fixed the fuel lines on my weedeater.

Replaced the clutch, pivot, fork, struts, bushings, timing belt on the SRT-4.

Brakes... lots of brake jobs.  The salt really fucks up calipers around here, so I'm constantly replacing them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#50]

The dog
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top