Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2015 4:04:56 PM EDT
if so how big was it? 10 inches? or longer?

I'm building a 338 LM for my dad on a CZ550 mag action, and he is springing for me to suppress it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
6" Aluminum
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
6" Aluminum
View Quote

that would be EPIC! very EPIC!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I hoped this was going to be a .338 Reaper thread.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

blech.. subsonic..
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

blech.. subsonic..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

blech.. subsonic..

Whatever, man.  Your face is subsonic.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there a way to estimate pressure at the muzzle?  I know the case capacity on the .338LM is huge, but it's usually in a long barrel and the barrel inside diameter is also pretty large, so pressure at the muzzle is reduced some, right?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is there a way to estimate pressure at the muzzle?  I know the case capacity on the .338LM is huge, but it's usually in a long barrel and the barrel inside diameter is also pretty large, so pressure at the muzzle is reduced some, right?

View Quote

I can run it through Quickload and get a number.. Im guessing its going to be over 17k PSI. I'm more looking for recoil reduction rather than noise suppression.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm building a 338 LM for my dad on a CZ550 mag action, and he is springing for me to suppress it.
View Quote

Not sure if that's technically legal unless you are both in the same trust/ corp/ etc.

Wouldn't you have to Form 1 it to yourself, and then Form 4 it to him once you were done?

Just curious - NFA experts chime in.

IANAL...
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can run it through Quickload and get a number.. Im guessing its going to be over 17k PSI. I'm more looking for recoil reduction rather than noise suppression.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For comparison, will you also run a 5.56 and .308?  I'm curious about the changes.  I've never used Quickload, I had no idea it could do that.  If it's not hard, can you also run a 6.5 Creedmoor?

Feel free to tell me to pound sand, I don't really get to tell you to do homework or anything...
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not sure if that's technically legal unless you are both in the same trust/ corp/ etc.

Wouldn't you have to Form 1 it to yourself, and then Form 4 it to him once you were done?

IANAL...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IANAL...

CORP via FFL LLC.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6" Aluminum

It would be...once.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For comparison, will you also run a 5.56 and .308?  I'm curious about the changes.  I've never used Quickload, I had no idea it could do that.  If it's not hard, can you also run a 6.5 Creedmoor?

Feel free to tell me to pound sand, I don't really get to tell you to do homework or anything...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if i get a few mins tonight ill run the loads.. Since you asked nice..

I know 308 is about 16k PSI.. I've already done a can for one..
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]
One of those reusable soda station bottles should work. They take like tons of pressure and stuff.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Elite Iron makes one that's 9.5" long

Weight: 30 oz. Overall length: 9.5 in.
Exterior diameter: 1.625 in.
Rifle used in test: Accuracy International w/ 27 in. barrel
Ammunition used: Sierra Match with 250 grain bullets @ 2,950 fps.
Ambient temperature: 71° F -Potomac, Montana, at 3,950 ft. above sea level
Humidity 30.2%
Sound Pressure Level Reduction: 33 db

http://www.eliteiron.com/elite-iron-suppressors-page6b.html

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  

Interesting.  

It seems the increased pressure would make a brake more effective, so maybe a tank style with a cavernous blast chamber?  Sounds like the rest is irrelevant if you're not really after sound suppression.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Thick wall Ti or thicker stainless.

.338 can are HUGE compared to what most people have been building. I would probably end up waaaaay overbuilding a Form 1 .338 can.

But better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Interdasted
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

CORP via FFL LLC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IANAL...

CORP via FFL LLC.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thick wall Ti or thicker stainless.

.338 can are HUGE compared to what most people have been building. I would probably end up waaaaay overbuilding a Form 1 .338 can.

But better safe than sorry.
View Quote

If it's reasonably similar to pressures in a .308, may 1.5x a .308, then you still won't need anything huge unless you are planning to get it really hot, right?  I'm not really a metals guy but the voodoo around a .338LM seems somewhat overdone.  Yeah, it's got to be bigger in volume and bullet diameter, but it just doesn't really seem like the trouble its made out to be.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can measure my AAC titan when I get home if that helps.

ETA
Or I can just copypasta the info from silencershop:

SPECIFICATION INFORMATION
CALIBER RATING.338 LM
LENGTH10"
DIAMETERDiameter 1.85"
WEIGHT21 oz
MANUFACTURERAAC
BUILD MATERIALTitanium
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#21]
so it looks like i need to source a piece of 2 inch TI tube.. and some scrap to practice threading on.. in 24 year never had to touch TI.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sent in a Form 1 for my 338 RUM can just two weeks ago.  My gunsmith is building me a 10-inch Tango can in stainless.  With the long barrel my gun has (28 inch) he 10 inch can should make it an ear safe combination.  With a barrel under 24 inches either hearing protection would still be needed or a longer can would be in order.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
so it looks like i need to source a piece of 2 inch TI tube.. and some scrap to practice threading on.. in 24 year never had to touch TI.

View Quote

I don't think it must be Ti, but it's going to be a brick if it's 304. I wouldn't use 316, I dont think.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't think it must be Ti, but it's going to be a brick if it's 304. I wouldn't use 316, I dont think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its for a old man so i need to keep weight down.. my last can for 308 is in 316 and its a brick!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Weight is important to keep the POI to a minimum.  

This is especially important because the barrel is so long, and some-what thin compared to a typical 308.

Ti is the way to go - especially since the intended use is slow fire for accuracy (inconel baffles and welded cans are for sustained full auto fire and SBRs).

Also, the muzzle pressure alone (from your QuickLoad calculation) isn't enough; there is also the effect of massively increased gas vollume to consider.

You might consider just straight cone baffles with no clips for accuracy sake.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Weight is important to keep the POI to a minimum.  

This is especially important because the barrel is so long, and some-what thin compared to a typical 308.

Ti is the way to go - especially since the intended use is slow fire for accuracy (inconel baffles and welded cans are for sustained full auto fire and SBRs).

Also, the muzzle pressure alone (from your QuickLoad calculation) isn't enough; there is also the effect of massively increased gas vollume to consider.

You might consider just straight cone baffles with no clips for accuracy sake.
View Quote

probably stepped cones. using a griffen brake for a sacrificial baffle.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Man, goin for the brass ring bud!

Godspeed
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Man, goin for the brass ring bud!

Godspeed
View Quote

rifle is all most done, been hard finding time to work on it. Since most of my shop time is working on customer guns.. Old man goes on vacation and the shop is shutting down for 2 months so Ill be finishing it then. All but blueing. that will be done when he gets back. I cannot be near the salts since chemo. Im crazy sensitive to them. Then Ill get the can done when we get the form 1 back. Ill get some TI round stock and start making brakes as practice. No CNC here all manual!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not so much the pressure at the muzzle as much as it is the huge gas volume you need to account for.  Because of the huge volume, the pressure hitting the first baffle is much higher than a smaller cartridge.  The pressure does not drop nearly as much due to expansion in the blast chamber as a smaller rifle.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Why?

Use an A.I. muzzle brake and enjoy shooting...makes'em kick no worse than a 20 gauge.

.....and, you're shooting a .338 Lapua....you'll be packed up and driving to pick up your kill by the time the sound gets there.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's not so much the pressure at the muzzle as much as it is the huge gas volume you need to account for.  Because of the huge volume, the pressure hitting the first baffle is much higher than a smaller cartridge.  The pressure does not drop nearly as much due to expansion in the blast chamber as a smaller rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PV=nRT.  

P= Pressure
V= Volume
n=amount of gas
R= Molecular Constant
T= Temp.

Pressure and volume are an inverse relationship, if you don't give it much volume the pressure will increase.

Why does this not drop like a smaller rifle?  The n is a larger number, but the rest of the equation is the same.  As the volume of the system increases (bullet moving down the barrel and into/out of the suppressor) the volume increases.  As the number of moles of powder is burned the pressure increases.  At some point along this system there is a crossover where the bullet is moving faster than the pressure is increasing and the pressure has reached its maximum.  This does not happen at the muzzle, but somewhere back in the barrel. There is a continued supply of gas for a split second that would increase pressure over time, if there was no exit, but there is.

So at the suppressor you are providing a sudden increase of volume, pressure drops.  Except that the brake will change the direction of some of the remaining pressure and send it directly outwards, taxing the pressure capacity of the tube.

I'm not a suppressor expert, but isn't the goal to slow down the gasses as quickly as possible and prohibit them from exploding when they reach the fresh oxygen outside the barrel?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Nasty,

I just built a .50 BMG for a Barrett 99 can out of 2.500 OD TI tube, With a Monocore wire cut baffle assembly.   Check Ebay for TI Tubing, Best deals around by far!  Drilling the shit for the bore is the tough part, look up the feeds and speeds, don't guess! and use GOOD lube  (I used Boelube). I Tig welded the monocore to the OD of the can, as well as the endcaps, so it is not a takedown. I was worried about the can ballooning when fired from pressures.  I haven't had a chance to test with any high tech sound measuring equipment.  Just built it to play around and try out some Ideas.  Can came out at 25 Oz 2.50 Dia x 20" long (including a 6" reflexed primary blast chamber) All TI construction. Recoil wise It is about the same as the original Barrett brake that was on it to begin with.  I will post some pics in the NFA forum when I get a chance.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

its for a old man so i need to keep weight down.. my last can for 308 is in 316 and its a brick!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC,  316 is more corrosion resistant but does keep strength with heat as well?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:02:34 AM EDT
[#34]
SWC didn't forget man, not feeling good this evening. been fighting something all day (pretty much moved my office in to the rest room ). Ill run the calcs tomorrow night. I have a post it to remind me on my monitor.

If I DO forget ill owe you some bullets..
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Ask someone with an AI 338 can to take a look see if they are local to you. Ronnie Barrett had one that was nice to fire with the can.  If memory serves me right, it was about 10-12" long. Can't remember if it was titanium or not. The  AI .308 can wasn't on the one Ronnie had.

Been thinking of building up a 338 LM the last little bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top