BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So a beer with supper because I like the way it tastes makes me a substance abuser?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I'll have none of your lip, drunky!

ETA:  Wrong smiley.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
New one on me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]

They're mighty proud of their booze.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So a beer with supper because I like the way it tastes makes me a substance abuser?

Pot calling the kettle black?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
OP,

Serious question.  How well do you get along with the bartenders at this place you hang out?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I really don't have to ask any more questions of people who rely on a chemical to make them feel better.  I don't see a difference between people who get drunk often and pot heads or pill heads or any other substance abuser.  

As a matter of fact in many cases people who get drunk often are worse than some others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone please explain drinking alcohol

When you woke up this morning and (seemingly) felt fantastic, I actually felt a little bit sorry for you. That's as good as you're going to feel all day, you poor bastard.

Feel free to ask any followup questions, as you deem necessary.
I really don't have to ask any more questions of people who rely on a chemical to make them feel better.  I don't see a difference between people who get drunk often and pot heads or pill heads or any other substance abuser.  

As a matter of fact in many cases people who get drunk often are worse than some others.

I feel the same way towards religious people.  We should hang out.

Beers on me!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly are you insinuating, Sir?

I am the perfect model of humility and temperance!

(Sorry for the late reply, had to refill my bourbon.)
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
At the restaurant I worked at, straight liquors on the rocks were an upcharge because it was a larger pour.

Dewars on the rocks?  Upcharge.

Martini on the rocks? No upcharge, same pour.
View Quote

Makes sense.

Ordering on the rocks for extra booze payload is certainly a trick known to the drinking public.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Martini on the rocks? No upcharge, same pour.
View Quote

Why didn't you throw these bums out on the street?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]
never heard of such a thing.

Also, a cyborg drinking thread.

Is this bizzarro world?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When you woke up this morning and (seemingly) felt fantastic, I actually felt a little bit sorry for you. That's as good as you're going to feel all day, you poor bastard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Chaiman of the Board couldn't have said it better himself.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

real estate.literally a stones throw from madison sq garden and lenn station
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Happened to me once....never went back.  How'd that up charge work out ya fucks?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

[[youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMV_fJDruog&sns=em[/youtube][/youtube]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Happened to me once....never went back.  How'd that up charge work out ya fucks?
View Quote

Ill say it again pretty much every place charges more for rocks or neat just because you dont see
Jack daniels $3
Rocks$2
You see jack daniels rocks$5
If you order just a shot it will be less unless they pour the same amount for botb which is not proper or the bartender is either an idiot or likes you

You are all paying more for rocks pours weather you know it or not.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a little thing called moderation, but then in your mind there seems to only be two things, sober and drunk.

There is sober and not sober, not sure what else you could call it besides "under the influence".  

I don't really understand how that's a question.  You're taking a chemical that will alter your state of mind.  Just because one substance is way more popular than others and legal doesn't mean that it's any different from a drug.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Beers on me!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beers on me!!!
Woohoo!!!  I'll trade my beers for chicken wings

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ill say it again pretty much every place charges more for rocks or neat just because you dont see
Jack daniels $3
Rocks$2
If you order just a shot it will be less unless they pour the same amount for botb which is not proper or the bartender is either an idiot or likes you

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jack daniels $3
Rocks$2

How do you figure that?  You expect me to believe they really pour more booze than a neat drink because there's ice in it?  Oooook.  In my experience they usually pour same or less because the ice makes it look more full.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How do you figure that?  You expect me to believe they really pour more booze than a neat drink because there's ice in it?  Oooook.  In my experience they usually pour same or less because the ice makes it look more full.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jack daniels $3
Rocks$2

You're the only guy in this thread that needs to find a new bartender.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#21]

...and that's when I walk out the door.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't really understand how that's a question.  You're taking a chemical that will alter your state of mind.  Just because one substance is way more popular than others and legal doesn't mean that it's any different from a drug.  
View Quote

The photons popping out of your screen alter your state of mind.

Bam, just shot some oxytocin into your brain. We're just a soup of chemicals anyway, what is the problem with adding a few more. Unaltered mental states are impossible. What separates us from animals is we can choose to influence our chemistry. Not to sound too much like Timothy Leary though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#23]
various BS pricing schemes that they pull out of their butt in the spur of the moment,stick with a beer and a shot
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It all begins when a person is an innocent waif traipsing through life.  Everything is new, fresh and exciting.  Then responsibilities begin to weigh upon that person.  Liabilities start to occur.  Debt creeps in and energy levels wane.  The person sees clouds for the first time in their rosy forecast, and is ultimately forced to admit that life is not just a joyous exercise of flip fantastic sex while dangling from a ceiling fan.

There are dark forces at work in even the happiest of lives.  Cancer, the madman next door, diseased ticks lurking in the shrubbery, intractably stupid children who won't stop drooling upon the upholstery, lost television remotes, on and on.

Marriages sour and turn as dry as the prairie wind.  A spouse can transform into a bitter harpy hellbent on squeezing the last precious drop of hope from a person.  To paraphrase Thoreau people start to live lives of quiet desperation...and the song dies in them.

These are the dark forces from which Vodka, for one, is forged.  Vodka is the essence of want and need, of false hope and bitter winter.  It is filtered through the shards of a thousand shattered dreams.

It burns when you drink it, but the burn feels so good.  Much like how Blues music is about failure...yet you feel good when you listen to it.

You know alcohol is false, but for the moment it is full of promise.  You know, promise?  Like you used to have?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It all begins when a person is an innocent waif traipsing through life.  Everything is new, fresh and exciting.  Then responsibilities begin to weigh upon that person.  Liabilities start to occur.  Debt creeps in and energy levels wane.  The person sees clouds for the first time in their rosy forecast, and is ultimately forced to admit that life is not just a joyous exercise of flip fantastic sex while dangling from a ceiling fan.

There are dark forces at work in even the happiest of lives.  Cancer, the madman next door, diseased ticks lurking in the shrubbery, intractably stupid children who won't stop drooling upon the upholstery, lost television remotes, on and on.

Marriages sour and turn as dry as the prairie wind.  A spouse can transform into a bitter harpy hellbent on squeezing the last precious drop of hope from a person.  To paraphrase Thoreau people start to live lives of quiet desperation...and the song dies in them.

These are the dark forces from which Vodka, for one, is forged.  Vodka is the essence of want and need, of false hope and bitter winter.  It is filtered through the shards of a thousand shattered dreams.

It burns when you drink it, but the burn feels so good.  Much like how Blues music is about failure...yet you feel good when you listen to it.

You know alcohol is false, but for the moment it is full of promise.  You know, promise?  Like you used to have?

Too long to fit, but sig material for sure.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#25]
College bar back in the day had $1 rail drinks.

I asked for a shot of Tequilla, that was $3. I asked for a Tequila Sunrise, that was $1.

I asked for a Tequila Sunrise, hold the OJ and hold the Syrup, no ice. that was $1.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I've been bartending for years and I have never seen it.

But why are you ordering a Martini on the rocks?  I'd charge you extra for that idiocy just on principle.  
View Quote

Boom! Headshot.

OP, you're paying the stupid tax.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Boom! Headshot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been bartending for years and I have never seen it.

But why are you ordering a Martini on the rocks?  I'd charge you extra for that idiocy just on principle.  

Boom! Headshot.

That's what I was going to suggest.  That or a PITA tax.  See my fellow intoxicologists do it fairly regularly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:44:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brav-fucking-o.

Well done.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:53:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK, a rabbi, a minister and a duck walk into a bar.  Well, not the duck.  He ducked out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

very simple

On Saturday you drink a bunch of what amounts to industrial chemical solvent and disinfectant

then the next day you feel like crap while your body recuperates from being forced to metabolize neurotoxin

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

very simple

On Saturday you drink a bunch of what amounts to industrial chemical solvent and disinfectant

then the next day you feel like crap while your body recuperates from being forced to metabolize neurotoxin

Not all of us feel bad the next day. I call it the "drunk" gene.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:56:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It makes teeners easier to tolerate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes teeners easier to tolerate

You win the thread
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jack daniels $3
Rocks$2

Not to mention you can tell he's never worked in a bar or restaurant in his life.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:02:40 AM EDT
[#33]
correct answer has already been posted several times.  the upcharge is not for the ice--it's for a "rocks pour", which is slightly larger than a normal portion (often ~20%, sometimes more).  this policy varies from place to place.

there are 2 major issues in play.  first and most directly, 1.25 oz (37ml) of liquid will not even remotely fill a normal rocks glass, even when it is packed with ice.  for industry standard libbey rocks glasses properly iced, 1.25 oz will reach the bottom of the bevels when it is first poured.  ~ 60 sec later, enough ice will have melted that the glass will appear full.  however, the initial appearance creates complaints.  people think that they're getting ripped off.  the rocks pour is an effective way around this--it delivers real and perceived value to the guest.

secondly, meltwater has a substantial influence on flavor, and creates problems when ordering doubles.  put simply, single pours tend to be consumed too quickly, while doubles tend to sit on the ice too long and get watered down.  the intermediate rocks pour looks substantial, lasts for a respectable amount of time, but doesn't sit around so long that the flavor gets washed out.

long story short, you probably aren't getting anything for free, but you probably aren't getting gouged either.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll bet you're a blast at parties...no, not really
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jack daniels $3
Rocks$2

yes.  no.  it's pretty difficult to short pour a single liquor rocks drink, due to glass size and the inability to cheat it with other ingredients.  it can be done (by using wet ice, for example), but it's not convenient.  

bartenders worship at the altar of convenience.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:13:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You're taking a chemical that will alter your state of mind.  Just because one substance is way more popular than others and legal doesn't mean that it's any different from a drug.  
View Quote

like spicy food?  the reason that you do is because spice stimulates endorphin release.  it's a chemical that alters your state of mind.  same with caffeine, sugar, chocolate.  whole grains increase seratonin levels, just like prozac.

sleep deprivation also alters your state of mind.  do you have moral convictions about that?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#37]
You're incredibly naive or simply ignorant if you think a bar is giving away alcohol.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
like spicy food? the reason that you do is because spice stimulates endorphin release. it's a chemical that alters your state of mind. same with caffeine, sugar, chocolate. whole grains increase seratonin levels, just like prozac.

sleep deprivation also alters your state of mind. do you have moral convictions about that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're taking a chemical that will alter your state of mind. Just because one substance is way more popular than others and legal doesn't mean that it's any different from a drug.

like spicy food? the reason that you do is because spice stimulates endorphin release. it's a chemical that alters your state of mind. same with caffeine, sugar, chocolate. whole grains increase seratonin levels, just like prozac.

sleep deprivation also alters your state of mind. do you have moral convictions about that?

He can't hear you up on his high horse.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

like spicy food?  the reason that you do is because spice stimulates endorphin release.  it's a chemical that alters your state of mind.  same with caffeine, sugar, chocolate.  whole grains increase seratonin levels, just like prozac.

sleep deprivation also alters your state of mind.  do you have moral convictions about that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're taking a chemical that will alter your state of mind.  Just because one substance is way more popular than others and legal doesn't mean that it's any different from a drug.  

Exercise really gets me high as a kite.  After a good run my mind is beyond altered.

Guess I'm basically a meth head.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Isn't "neat" and "straight up" the same thing?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some restaurants will add a fee for drinks that are served on the rocks

supposedly the drink has an extra oz liquor pour so they tack on an extra $1 to $4 for the extra booze

apparently depending on their policy, different restaurants charge this fee for drinks served neat, on the rocks and straight up

how could all of the alternatives have extra booze poured?

something doesn't compute

the only one that makes sense is a drink served neat, because extra booze would take the place of the ice if the glass is filled full

they pull this scam on all kinds of drinks now - martinis, scotch, old fashioned, you name it

Isn't "neat" and "straight up" the same thing?

Not at all. Neat is right out of the bottle, straight up is booze shaken/stirred with ice and strained.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#43]
I am considered an apostate because I prefer ice with both bourbon and with a martini.

Why? Magic happens at the point at which substances change form from solid to liquid. Magic.

In bourbon, this is expressed as a bloom of sweetness. In a martini, this is expressed as a deepening of the floral notes from the aromatics in the gin. It's like that magic that happens when you put from-the-fridge-cold butter on a slice of bread and then dollop on a spoon of hot stew and take a bite. Flavors explode as the hot stew melts the butter in your mouth. Magic.

I don't give a fuck if everyone else in the whirled thinks I'm looney for noticing this. It is manifestly there and it is worth experiencing. YMMV and all that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I am considered an apostate because I prefer ice with both bourbon and with a martini.

Why? Magic happens at the point at which substances change form from solid to liquid. Magic.

In bourbon, this is expressed as a bloom of sweetness. In a martini, this is expressed as a deepening of the floral notes from the aromatics in the gin. It's like that magic that happens when you put from-the-fridge-cold butter on a slice of bread and then dollop on a spoon of hot stew and take a bite. Flavors explode as the hot stew melts the butter in your mouth. Magic.

I don't give a fuck if everyone else in the whirled thinks I'm looney for noticing this. It is manifestly there and it is worth experiencing. YMMV and all that.
View Quote

The whole whirled, or just the more advanced parts of the whirled?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any or all of it.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jack daniels $3
Rocks$2

a neat pour is usually the same as a rocks pour it is also an upcharge over a shot
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

A few drops of water will open up the whiskey (or whisky) better than an ice cube, much less a pile of ice cubes. The lower temperature suppresses the flavor.

Similarly, a martini is mixed with ice then the drink is strained from the ice. That small amount of water opens up the flavors of the gin plenty, and keeps the drink from becoming so cold that the flavors are suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did I say I have moral convictions?

I love caffeine. Love the way it makes me feel. I just don't pretend it's not a chemical. Not all chemicals affect your brain the same way or as drastically. That's why I can drink caffeine and drive a car legally.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So, other words, all our prices are lies, because both neat and rocks will be more?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So, other words, all our prices are lies, because both neat and rocks will be more?

never seen or heard of it, but that menu is ridiculous
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top