BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That has never happened to me, but I bet some places don't want the drinks to look crappy and unfilled, so they do a longer pour if you take it neat. They probably have giant rocks glasses.

View Quote
This is the answer.  Mixed drink might be a 1.25 oz pour, whereas rocks and up may be a 1.5 to 2.0 oz pour.  Ive seen this at chains, e.g. Applebees (where i worked in college).

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
1. Order your drink neat

2. Order a glass of ice, see if they charge you for it.  Combine the two.

3. ???????

4. Profit
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I always thought when making drink neat, the bartender pours in the same amount of ingredients as a drink with ice.
View Quote

I think that depends on the state.  I know a whiskey on the rocks in California is usually a glass about an inch from the top with whiskey and ice.  A whiskey on the rocks in Utah is 1.5 oz whiskey and a mountain of ice.  Yay freedom.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
very simple

On Saturday you drink a bunch of what amounts to industrial chemical solvent and disinfectant

then the next day you feel like crap while your body recuperates from being forced to metabolize neurotoxin

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone please explain drinking alcohol

very simple

On Saturday you drink a bunch of what amounts to industrial chemical solvent and disinfectant

then the next day you feel like crap while your body recuperates from being forced to metabolize neurotoxin

Thanks lol.

And the simple answer is because they typically pour them heavier, a lot of places treat "on the rocks" closer to a double.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It all begins when a person is an innocent waif traipsing through life.  Everything is new, fresh and exciting.  Then responsibilities begin to weigh upon that person.  Liabilities start to occur.  Debt creeps in and energy levels wane.  The person sees clouds for the first time in their rosy forecast, and is ultimately forced to admit that life is not just a joyous exercise of flip fantastic sex while dangling from a ceiling fan.

There are dark forces at work in even the happiest of lives.  Cancer, the madman next door, diseased ticks lurking in the shrubbery, intractably stupid children who won't stop drooling upon the upholstery, lost television remotes, on and on.

Marriages sour and turn as dry as the prairie wind.  A spouse can transform into a bitter harpy hellbent on squeezing the last precious drop of hope from a person.  To paraphrase Thoreau people start to live lives of quiet desperation...and the song dies in them.

These are the dark forces from which Vodka, for one, is forged.  Vodka is the essence of want and need, of false hope and bitter winter.  It is filtered through the shards of a thousand shattered dreams.

It burns when you drink it, but the burn feels so good.  Much like how Blues music is about failure...yet you feel good when you listen to it.

You know alcohol is false, but for the moment it is full of promise.  You know, promise?  Like you used to have?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It all begins when a person is an innocent waif traipsing through life.  Everything is new, fresh and exciting.  Then responsibilities begin to weigh upon that person.  Liabilities start to occur.  Debt creeps in and energy levels wane.  The person sees clouds for the first time in their rosy forecast, and is ultimately forced to admit that life is not just a joyous exercise of flip fantastic sex while dangling from a ceiling fan.

There are dark forces at work in even the happiest of lives.  Cancer, the madman next door, diseased ticks lurking in the shrubbery, intractably stupid children who won't stop drooling upon the upholstery, lost television remotes, on and on.

Marriages sour and turn as dry as the prairie wind.  A spouse can transform into a bitter harpy hellbent on squeezing the last precious drop of hope from a person.  To paraphrase Thoreau people start to live lives of quiet desperation...and the song dies in them.

These are the dark forces from which Vodka, for one, is forged.  Vodka is the essence of want and need, of false hope and bitter winter.  It is filtered through the shards of a thousand shattered dreams.

It burns when you drink it, but the burn feels so good.  Much like how Blues music is about failure...yet you feel good when you listen to it.

You know alcohol is false, but for the moment it is full of promise.  You know, promise?  Like you used to have?

Nailed it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

very simple

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

very simple

This.

Also, it's fun and causes women to take off their panties.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]
The first I ever saw it was at Top Golf in Austin

a line item on the receipt was "rocks" 2.00
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never heard of it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should change bars.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

When you woke up this morning and (seemingly) felt fantastic, I actually felt a little bit sorry for you. That's as good as you're going to feel all day, you poor bastard.

Feel free to ask any followup questions, as you deem necessary.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

When you woke up this morning and (seemingly) felt fantastic, I actually felt a little bit sorry for you. That's as good as you're going to feel all day, you poor bastard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I really don't have to ask any more questions of people who rely on a chemical to make them feel better.  I don't see a difference between people who get drunk often and pot heads or pill heads or any other substance abuser.

As a matter of fact in many cases people who get drunk often are worse than some others.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Never happened to me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Never heard of it.
View Quote

I haven't heard it either. But ice be expensive yo.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Never heard of it.
View Quote

This.  Sounds like you're going to shitty bars that don't know how to measure shots.  Or their ice is made out of gold.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Didn't read thread.

Highball pour 1.5 oz (with single mixer)
Rocks/Neat pour 2-2.5 oz
Up pour 3oz

I'm a bartender.

Does this answer the question?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#17]
A whiskey neat is a double pour. So, add ice. Either way it's more than a single shot...or it should be.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Didn't read thread.

Rocks/Neat pour 2-2.5 oz
Up pour 3oz

I'm a bartender.

View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

First, I've never experienced this.

Second...

If you ask for a martini "on the rocks", you're lucky they're only charging you extra, instead of throwing your ass out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Second...

Quoted:

they pull this scam on all kinds of drinks now - martinis...

If you ask for a martini "on the rocks", you're lucky they're only charging you extra, instead of throwing your ass out.
I bet this martini is really just chilled vodka without a drop of vermouth.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I really don't have to ask any more questions of people who rely on a chemical to make them feel better.  I don't see a difference between people who get drunk often and pot heads or pill heads or any other substance abuser.  

As a matter of fact in many cases people who get drunk often are worse than some others.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly! The only way to drink is to get hammered every time. There is zero possibility of drinking in moderation.

Derp.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Second...

Quoted:
they pull this scam on all kinds of drinks now - martinis...

Vodka martini drinkers wouldn't know vermouth if it bit them on the ass.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#23]
You're hiding your state... So, I'm assuming you live in San Francisco.  It's the only place fucked up enough to do it and get away with it.  Off course the ice is free of all bubbles and perfectly cleaved by a 1,000 year old samurai sword.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw it on a menu board in an extremely pricey D.C. bar I was in once.  Mind you, I didn't have to pay it---the bartender learned we were from New Orleans and gave us half off all night and didn't add any charges for rocks.  (Still wildly expensive compared to drinking down here though, even at half off.)
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should probably not visit New Orleans.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

It makes teeners easier to tolerate
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Didn't read thread.

Rocks/Neat pour 2-2.5 oz

Up pour 3oz

I'm a bartender.

View Quote

I quickly drain half my rocks drink then take a flask out of my pocket (when I think you aren't looking) and fill it back up.

Do you throw me out?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a little thing called moderation, but then in your mind there seems to only be two things, sober and drunk.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Exactly! The only way to drink is to get hammered every time. There is zero possibility of drinking in moderation.

Derp.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Derp.

Where did I mention getting hammered?  Too drunk to read? lol

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

There is a little thing called moderation, but then in your mind there seems to only be two things, sober and drunk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is sober and not sober, not sure what else you could call it besides "under the influence".

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#34]

So, other words, all our prices are lies, because both neat and rocks will be more?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Get it neat and ask for a side of ice?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There is sober and not sober, not sure what else you could call it besides "under the influence".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On second thought, you should certainly visit NOLA, but make sure to do it over the Labor Day weekend.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
1. Order your drink neat

2. Order a glass of ice, see if they charge you for it.  Combine the two.

3. ???????

4. Profit
View Quote

If you're not a cheap douchebag, that bartender or server isn't going to say a thing.  If you're normal, they will go out of their way to find ways not to charge for things.

But there are a lot of places that add an upcharge for rocks glasses.  That's because they get a larger pour.  A place that doesn't upcharge isn't using a larger pour.  There might be some places out there that don't charge more and pour more.....but I'd argue they're the exception.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I quickly drain half my rocks drink then take a flask out of my pocket (when I think you aren't looking) and fill it back up.

Do you throw me out?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't read thread.

Rocks/Neat pour 2-2.5 oz
Up pour 3oz

I'm a bartender.

Do you throw me out?

If you're a douchebag, bothering other people, being loud, or cheap....then yes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do not understand the difference between a drink or two and an epic bender?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just as a matter of reference, pot and pills (especially pot) are pretty awesome, too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#42]
$7.00 for a bottle of Bud Light.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If you're a douchebag, bothering other people, being loud, or cheap....then yes.
View Quote

Awesome, I get to stay!

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

So, other words, all our prices are lies, because both neat and rocks will be more?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol Yeah that's pretty damned stupid.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Never heard of it nor have I ever been somewhere that does it.
View Quote

Neither have I and I drink my Scotch neat. Never have I expected a full glass to make up for ice.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man...   Thats beautiful.   *sniff*  Its getting dusty in here.

I've thought of taking up heavy drinking,  but it wouldn't  mix well with all of the pills.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Also, only the classiest joints list the alcohol content of their beer.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No. I dipped into this place to take a pic, because I know they do this and post it...and I used to bang the smoking hot bartender. Brother jimmys across from the garden. Touristy
Ask for a blantons. Pay x get x
Ask for a blantons neat. Pay xx get xx

No matter. $40 later I'm buzzed and i left my number with a hot chick visiting from the Netherlands. If they'd have charged 35 or 45 Id never have noticed or cared, honestly.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So a beer with supper because I like the way it tastes makes me a substance abuser?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top