BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No.  He is comparing anti-gun and anti-dog activist techniques.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not difficult to appear rational in these conversations to be honest.

What stats are you referring to?

The only statistic pointed out before you lost the plot was that one five year old child had tragically been killed by a dog identified as pit bull type.

If you now want statistics then by all means feel free to go and fetch the ones you want and share them for us all see.  Nobody else is having a hissy fit about this apart form you.  

You seem to have read the thread title, read the article and then come into the thread swinging haymakers while high on "feels" and rambling on about banning dogs.....which nobody else has thus far suggested as a course of action.

Feel free to bring something to the table by way of rational endeavour and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.  Honestly.

You're really terrible at this.

Here's some educational material to help you with your internet debating.

Are you comparing guns to dogs again?

No.  He is comparing anti-gun and anti-dog activist techniques.  

What techniques are those then?

Because so far the activists appear to the the ones who are aggressively jumping into a threat where a a actual article about a child being killed by a dog was posted, and having a hissy fit about it.

It's almost as if they are trying to suppress the truth that a child has been killed because it might undermine whatever their view of the subject is.  

Personally I'm in favour of embracing the truth, considering it rationally and debating it with like minded people. That is the only way you can put the hysteria to bed.  

Ironically, as someone who is pretty much sat on the fence as pit bulls go, it appears that the most hysterical responses are those that come from the people who felt the need to jump in and start berating the OP for daring to post an uncomfortable and tragic truth about yet another child being killed by a dog.

Another opportunity for rational debate goes sailing off on a gust of indignation.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And here we are again - the totally rational people, who aren't actually calling for any laws about pit bulls, blatantly attempting to misrepresent a comparison of dogs and gun owners as a comparison of dogs and guns.

I really don't blame you.  If you feel the numbers for pit bulls support doing something, it kind of makes people wonder what other common sense actions you'd support based on a few deaths.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe half isn't an overwhelming majority, for one thing.

Twelve deaths isn't a significant number, for another.  

Not all of them are kids, either.

There simply aren't any numbers out there that support getting worked up about pit bulls.  If you think there are, why aren't you getting worked up about AR-15 owners?  There's roughly the same number of those as there are pit bulls and they kill a lot more people each year than the dogs.

And here we are again - the irrational comparison between guns and dogs again.

Dogs are not guns.  Dogs have a mind of their own and can act of their own free will.  A gun can't.

And here we are again - the totally rational people, who aren't actually calling for any laws about pit bulls, blatantly attempting to misrepresent a comparison of dogs and gun owners as a comparison of dogs and guns.

I really don't blame you.  If you feel the numbers for pit bulls support doing something, it kind of makes people wonder what other common sense actions you'd support based on a few deaths.

TF are you droning on about?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Perception is irrelevant unless it matches reality. Furthermore, it is of critical import to note that perception generally does not match reality.

Who is pointing out statistical information and what sources are cited beyond media reports?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like how you guys are attempting to portray yourselves as the rational side of this conversation.

Is there something irrational about a single breed accounting for the overwhelming majority of deaths and serious maulings?

I'm having a hard time figuring that out. If they're not a problem, 12 dead kids doesn't register a care (and the scores maimed or fucked up), and it's just the owners, then it SIMPLY HAS TO FOLLOW THAT breeds with much higher ownership rates should be showing a significant number of deaths/injuries/maulings.

Yet, that's not the case.

Help and irrational brother out here, with some logic.

Go on.

So, let's recap:

1) We have veterinary and animal behavior experts who have all, without fail, declared the role of breed in dog-human violence to be a non-factor.

2) We have statistical proof that visual identification of dogs is inaccurate more than 80% of the time.

3) We have identified actual factors in dog-human violence incidents, namely they mostly involve children and unaltered male dogs. Other factors include poor socialization.

4) EVERYTHING we know about the media says that they report for sensationalism, not truth, and they are not expected to identify a breed with any level of accuracy (nor are the people who own them). Any dog that bites becomes a pitbull even though that's not actually a breed.

All set forth by people trying to undermine the very real perception and statistical information about what breeds are attacking who and under what circumstances, and all refuted by other people who are equally presenting data and statistics which refute the claims you pointed out above.

Essentially we are at an impasse brought about by selective interpretation of data on both sides of the argument.

Meanwhile another child has been killed by a pit bull type dog....... so where does this discussion go from here?

Perception is irrelevant unless it matches reality. Furthermore, it is of critical import to note that perception generally does not match reality.

Who is pointing out statistical information and what sources are cited beyond media reports?

Agree to some extent with the bit in red.

The second part, not so much..... perception is basis upon which further exploration of the facts needs to be based.  Perception is just the start point.  It can be accurate as often as it is misguided.

As far as I am aware, the only facts pointed out in this thread before the backlash started were that a 5 year old child had been killed by a dog and that dog had been identified as a pit bull type.  Beyond that things went silly very quickly and little progress has been made.

If we can agree that the child is dead and that the dog did it, then I guess that we have a starting point to work from.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe anyone has ever claimed that other dogs never attack...

Quoted:

...In fact, I've started threads on every story I've ever seen in the news about someone getting killed by dogs other than pit bulls. I'd share the links, but there aren't any.

That isn't a claim that other dogs never attack.  RIF.  Let me break it down for you.  I have not personally seen any news stories involving other breeds killing people, therefore, there are no threads started by me.  It was a joke.  Hence the wink that you didn't quote.  Obviously, other dogs kill people.  Why no comment on my opinion about pits?  No fun?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sorry dude, didn't see it.

2 Bull mastiffs attacked her. I remember it well around 2002 - I remember reading about it while moving into our new home, not far from where friends of ours lived in Wolverhampton.  Very sad and quite avoidable.  Large aggressive dogs escaped and attacked the little girl next door as she played in the garden, also attacked several other people IIRC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I posted links to attacks that occurred within the past few days.  Don't you care about those poor victims?  How can you ignore their suffering?  Not to mention, the cost of investigating these deaths, the inquests, the criminal sanctions and police time, the public resources, the costs of medical treatment, hospital bills, effects on insurance premiums, and on the medicare bill?  What about vets bills and the cost of litigation?   Don't you even care?  

(Your reply better have a frowny sad face)  

I didn't see your post mate - must have been one I missed sorry.

I do indeed care about all those things regardless of breed.  I would be very keen, in the interest of rational and credible risk assessment, to know where those reports stood in the context of other dog attacks and what the stats told us about where the highest risks lay, how big the costs were, and whether it would be cost effective or appropriate to take steps to reduce the number of attacks.

Where is it?

From your own country, no less.  You heartless beast, you waste all this time caring about some stranger in Chicago, when little Leah Preston  is suffering in  Wolverhampton...

A little girl torn apart by savage dogs lay on her hospital bed as nurses pumped her full of painkillers and pleaded, "Mummy, please don't let them put me down,".

Five-year-old Leah Preston heard the vicious animals who mauled her in Low Hill, Wolverhampton, had been destroyed and was worried she might be put to sleep, her family said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-115038/5-year-old-savaged-dog-attack.html#ixzz3bNGAGjax

2 Bull mastiffs attacked her. I remember it well around 2002 - I remember reading about it while moving into our new home, not far from where friends of ours lived in Wolverhampton.  Very sad and quite avoidable.  Large aggressive dogs escaped and attacked the little girl next door as she played in the garden, also attacked several other people IIRC.

It's a shame you weren't a member back then....

....it would have been a great thread.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That isn't a claim that other dogs never attack.  RIF.  Let me break it down for you.  I have not personally seen any news stories involving other breeds killing people, therefore, there are no threads started by me.  It was a joke.  Hence the wink that you didn't quote.  Obviously, other dogs kill people.  Why no comment on my opinion about pits?  No fun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe anyone has ever claimed that other dogs never attack...

Quoted:

...In fact, I've started threads on every story I've ever seen in the news about someone getting killed by dogs other than pit bulls. I'd share the links, but there aren't any.

Yes, big strong dogs are more dangerous than little weak dogs.

I don't really care what you think about pitbulls.   Do you believe your opinion of a dog breed is really that important?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't really care what you think about pitbulls.   Do you believe your opinion of a dog breed is really that important?
View Quote

You certainly seem to think so.  You tried to tell me what my opinion was for at least four pages.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You certainly seem to think so.  You tried to tell me what my opinion was for at least four pages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are projecting.  

I've done no such thing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From your own country, no less.  You heartless beast, you waste all this time caring about some stranger in Chicago, when little Leah Preston  is suffering in  Wolverhampton...

A little girl torn apart by savage dogs lay on her hospital bed as nurses pumped her full of painkillers and pleaded, "Mummy, please don't let them put me down,".

Five-year-old Leah Preston heard the vicious animals who mauled her in Low Hill, Wolverhampton, had been destroyed and was worried she might be put to sleep, her family said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-115038/5-year-old-savaged-dog-attack.html#ixzz3bNGAGjax

It could have been very interesting.

There's been a few since that might still be good examples.  Two fatalities last year IIRC.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The place looks like a Sh*t Hole.  No the first time something bad happend there.

Same Block Google Street View Oct 2014
View Quote

No. This dog was well tended and trained. It is a proud community just like yours and mine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You are projecting.  

I've done no such thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are projecting.  

I've done no such thing.

Okay, whatever.  I thought maybe you might finally want to have a intelligent discussion about pit bulls, but carry with what you're doing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Fucking ipads
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/29153976/police-boy-mauled-to-death-by-dog-on-south-side

"CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

A boy was mauled to death by a dog Monday night in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood, Chicago Police said.

Rescue workers responded to the 8900 block of South Carpenter about 9:35 p.m. and took the boy — whom police believe is about 5 years old— to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was later pronounced dead, police said.

Neighbors say it was a horrifying scene as the dog broke free and attacked the young boy.

Bianca White, a neighbor who lives across the street from where the attack occurred, told reporters at the scene that neighbors were able to free the boy from the dog's grasp by killing it with rocks and other objects.

“They stabbed it, threw a big rock on it,” White said. “They just started attacking it and [the dog] is dead now.”

White described the boy as lifeless after the dog released it from its jaws.

Witnesses described the dog as a pit bull. Police added that the dog has since been destroyed."
View Quote

Orly, did they conduct genetic testing?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Okay, whatever.  I thought maybe you might finally want to have a intelligent discussion about pit bulls, but carry with what you're doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are projecting.  

I've done no such thing.

Do you want to talk about pitbulls?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I want to see everyone's statistics about APBTs.

I assume there is a new analysis that actually employs the scientific method?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are projecting.  

I've done no such thing.

What else is there to debate about? A poor child was killed in a horrible way and my heart goes out to their family.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So what do you recommend be done about this menace?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARFCOM apologists inform me that there is no such breed as a Pit Bull.  Therefore the story must be wrong.

Destroy every pit on the planet with spiked baseball bats.  I fucking hate them and I don't care if you compare my view to some other liberal agenda. It's my god damn opinion and I'm free to have it.  Kill'em all.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I have no idea what's going on in here.....

but.....

I've seen super cool pit bull dogs
I've seen super cool regular dogs
I've seen psycho over the edge pit bull dogs
I've seen psycho over the edge regular dogs

had to shoot a pit bull recently that went berzerk and attacked some peoples and was coming to attack me as well.  

felt bad about it, but I'm an equal opportunity dog shooter and I only shoot dogs that need shooting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have no idea what's going on in here.....

but.....

I've seen super cool pit bull dogs
I've seen super cool regular dogs
I've seen psycho over the edge pit bull dogs
I've seen psycho over the edge regular dogs

had to shoot a pit bull recently that went berzerk and attacked some peoples and was coming to attack me as well.  

felt bad about it, but I'm an equal opportunity dog shooter and I only shoot dogs that need shooting.
View Quote

Fair do's.

Have you ever had to shoot any other dogs?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Through 2012, or thereabouts ...

Ranked by Incidents of Serious Bodily Harm:
Pit bull 2792
Rottweiler 514
Pit bull-mix 191
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 105
German shepherd 102
Wolf hybrid 85
Husky 79
Akita 68
Boxer 62
Chow 58
German shepherd-mix 43
Doberman 18

Ranked by Deaths:
Pit bull 263
Rottweiler 81
Husky 25
Wolf hybrid 19
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 15
German shepherd 15
Pit bull-mix 12
Akita 8
Boxer 7
Chow 7
German shepherd-mix 7
Doberman 7
Golden Retriever 2

Ranked by Bodily Harm divided by Dog Category as % of Total Dog Population:  
(these numbers are somewhat meaningless, but useful in this context and for ranking:
the numbers are relative, meaning that severe Pit Bull attacks are roughly 10x more
prevalent than severe attacks by Boxers, when normalized for population)
Wolf hybrid DIV/0!
Pit bull-mix DIV/0!
German shepherd-mix DIV/0!
Chow 644444
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 525000
Husky 112857
Pit bull 46533
Rottweiler 25700
Akita 6800
German shepherd 4857
Boxer 4429
Doberman 1286

Ranked by Death divided by Dog Category as % of Total Dog Population:  
(these numbers are somewhat meaningless, but useful in this context and for ranking)
Wolf hybrid DIV/0!
Pit bull-mix DIV/0!
Chow 77778
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 75000
Husky 35714
Pit bull 4383
Rottweiler 4050
Akita 800
German shepherd 714
Boxer 500
Doberman 500
Golden Retriever 133

Ranked by Death to Mauling Ratio:
Husky 1.04
Doberman 0.70
Wolf hybrid 0.39
Rottweiler 0.28
German shepherd-mix 0.25
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 0.25
Boxer 0.24
German shepherd 0.24
Chow 0.18
Akita 0.16
Pit bull 0.16
Pit bull-mix 0.12

Ranked by Adult/Child Attack Ratio:  
Wolf hybrid 0.07
Husky 0.10
German shepherd-mix 0.43
Chow 0.46
Rottweiler 0.47
German shepherd 0.48
Akita 0.49
Pit bull-mix 0.60
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 0.93
Pit bull 0.94
Doberman 1.00
Boxer 1.11
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are projecting.  

I've done no such thing.

Nah, I'm getting tired.

Besides, L_JE just showed up with his calculator.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The second part, not so much..... perception is basis upon which further exploration of the facts needs to be based.  Perception is just the start point.  It can be accurate as often as it is misguided.

As far as I am aware, the only facts pointed out in this thread before the backlash started were that a 5 year old child had been killed by a dog and that dog had been identified as a pit bull type.  Beyond that things went silly very quickly and little progress has been made.

If we can agree that the child is dead and that the dog did it, then I guess that we have a starting point to work from.
View Quote

I have no idea if I really understand your point.

If you're suggesting that there's an epidemic of dogs attacking and/or killing people, there most certainly is not. If you're suggesting that there's an epidemic of "pit bull type" dogs attacking and/or killing people, there most certainly is not. The number of breeds considered "pit bull types" is insane and probably around two dozen if not more. That's a substantial number of dogs, and the total number of dog/human interactions is probably on the order of billions a day. It is of course regrettable when a human is killed or maimed by a dog, as that is almost universally avoidable. I contend (as do veterinary experts and dog experts) that the breed has next to nothing to do with that, however, and I show up in these threads because I see people who only care because of the headline containing "pit bull type."

My problem is that studies have shown that visual identification of dogs - even by trained dog experts who are able to observe and interact with the dog - is wrong more than three quarters of the time. Shelters have been known to misidentify dogs as pitbulls when they aren't, and they also identify actual APBTs and ASTs as something else. This is why I don't trust the media in any sense when it comes to these dogs - visual identification has been proven inaccurate.

Read the other link I posted above. The media has a narrative that they have latched onto and they can and will sensationalize a story to fit that narrative. Breed unknown? "Pit bull type." Witnesses say "pit bull type." What does the local crackhead know about dogs? Probably nothing. It's not a story unless it's a "pit bull type." That said, I am probably sure that most of these dogs are *intended* to be pits primarily because they're kept in poor conditions by shitbag owners. These are people who breed without regard and they can't even raise their own children. How the fuck would anybody expect them to raise a dog?

The way I see it, there are two types of dog attacks.

1) The most common, which is shitbag inner-city "urban" owners leaving unsocialized, abused, poorly (or not at all) trained dogs alone with one of their 50 children (or maybe not alone because their great-grandma was passed out in a chair). They probably got this dog from a back-alley breeder or picked up a stray, usually an unaltered male, because they wanted a status symbol of some sorts. These dogs are almost certainly mixed breeds - boxers, curs, maybe some actual pit - but they are identified as pits by the illiterate retards who own them. Ghetto trash won't have golden retrievers, but if they did this same shit would happen.

2) The least common, which is generally responsible owners who think they can handle known problem dogs, dogs who overreact to certain stimuli, and so on. These will be all sorts of breeds, APBTs and ASTs included. These are rare and the actual breed distribution will not point to anything in particular.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Edited to remove Merritt Clifton's bullshit...)

Those numbers are from a known charlatan who is not taken seriously.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/douglas-anthony-cooper/merritt-clifton-pit-bulls_b_5866176.html
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Pit bull 2792
Rottweiler 514
Pit bull-mix 191
German shepherd 102
Wolf hybrid 85
Husky 79
Akita 68
Boxer 62
Chow 58
German shepherd-mix 43
Doberman 18

Ranked by Deaths:
Pit bull 263
Rottweiler 81
Husky 25
Wolf hybrid 19
German shepherd 15
Pit bull-mix 12
Akita 8
Boxer 7
Chow 7
German shepherd-mix 7
Doberman 7
Golden Retriever 2

(these numbers are somewhat meaningless, but useful in this context and for ranking:
the numbers are relative, meaning that severe Pit Bull attacks are roughly 10x more
Wolf hybrid DIV/0!
Pit bull-mix DIV/0!
Chow 644444
Husky 112857
Pit bull 46533
Rottweiler 25700
Akita 6800
German shepherd 4857
Boxer 4429
Doberman 1286

(these numbers are somewhat meaningless, but useful in this context and for ranking)
Wolf hybrid DIV/0!
Pit bull-mix DIV/0!
Chow 77778
Husky 35714
Pit bull 4383
Rottweiler 4050
Akita 800
German shepherd 714
Boxer 500
Doberman 500
Golden Retriever 133

Husky 1.04
Doberman 0.70
Wolf hybrid 0.39
Rottweiler 0.28
German shepherd-mix 0.25
Boxer 0.24
German shepherd 0.24
Chow 0.18
Akita 0.16
Pit bull 0.16
Pit bull-mix 0.12

Wolf hybrid 0.07
Husky 0.10
German shepherd-mix 0.43
Chow 0.46
Rottweiler 0.47
German shepherd 0.48
Akita 0.49
Pit bull-mix 0.60
Pit bull 0.94
Doberman 1.00
Boxer 1.11
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pit bull 2792
Rottweiler 514
Pit bull-mix 191
German shepherd 102
Wolf hybrid 85
Husky 79
Akita 68
Boxer 62
Chow 58
German shepherd-mix 43
Doberman 18

Ranked by Deaths:
Pit bull 263
Rottweiler 81
Husky 25
Wolf hybrid 19
German shepherd 15
Pit bull-mix 12
Akita 8
Boxer 7
Chow 7
German shepherd-mix 7
Doberman 7
Golden Retriever 2

Wolf hybrid DIV/0!
Pit bull-mix DIV/0!
Chow 644444
Husky 112857
Pit bull 46533
Rottweiler 25700
Akita 6800
German shepherd 4857
Boxer 4429
Doberman 1286

Wolf hybrid DIV/0!
Pit bull-mix DIV/0!
Chow 77778
Husky 35714
Pit bull 4383
Rottweiler 4050
Akita 800
German shepherd 714
Boxer 500
Doberman 500
Golden Retriever 133

Husky 1.04
Doberman 0.70
Wolf hybrid 0.39
Rottweiler 0.28
German shepherd-mix 0.25
Boxer 0.24
German shepherd 0.24
Chow 0.18
Akita 0.16
Pit bull 0.16
Pit bull-mix 0.12

Wolf hybrid 0.07
Husky 0.10
German shepherd-mix 0.43
Chow 0.46
Rottweiler 0.47
German shepherd 0.48
Akita 0.49
Pit bull-mix 0.60
Pit bull 0.94
Doberman 1.00
Boxer 1.11

That doesn't look like any study I have ever read. Got a source? How,about the procedure/method?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you're suggesting that there's an epidemic of dogs attacking and/or killing people, there most certainly is not.

Not suggesting that....... but that would depend on your definition of an epidemic, or how you misuse the word.  Is there an unacceptable level of dog attacks?  I would be inclined to say that there is.

If you're suggesting that there's an epidemic of "pit bull type" dogs attacking and/or killing people, there most certainly is not.

As above.  However there number of attacks according to the statistics indicate that "Pit bull type" dogs are responsible for a significant number of attack. More so than any other identifiable breed.

The number of breeds considered "pit bull types" is insane and probably around two dozen if not more. That's a substantial number of dogs, and the total number of dog/human interactions is probably on the order of billions a day. It is of course regrettable when a human is killed or maimed by a dog, as that is almost universally avoidable. I contend (as do veterinary experts and dog experts) that the breed has next to nothing to do with that, however, and I show up in these threads because I see people who only care because of the headline containing "pit bull type."

People do not need to know the exact genetic make up of a dog. What people identify with is the characteristics of the dog, it's size, shape, strength and capacity to do harm if it were so inclined.  The gerrymandering around the exact breed is irrelevant in many cases.  The dog is defined by key characteristics and those characteristics are currently most closely associated and grouped as pit bull type dogs.  We all know the type of dog it refers to.  We all probably know that there is a mix in there, but the characteristics remain consistent in the type of dog that is linked to so many of these attacks.

My problem is that studies have shown that visual identification of dogs - even by trained dog experts who are able to observe and interact with the dog - is wrong more than three quarters of the time. Shelters have been known to misidentify dogs as pitbulls when they aren't, and they also identify actual APBTs and ASTs as something else. This is why I don't trust the media in any sense when it comes to these dogs - visual identification has been proven inaccurate.

Addressed above.  I do not subscribe to the "if it's not genetically proven then it's not a pit" diversionary tactics employed by some.  I think it is a red herring designed to shift the emphasis of the debate for all the wrong reasons.  The identification argument is without merit in many cases because so few dogs are of pure breed that even purists cannot agree on what a genetically pure Pit is.  The best they can come up with after millions of years of evolution is a form of nomenclature that is based on a the representation that most suits their perception of what the dog should be.  In that sense they are no different to the people who perceive the pit bull type dogs involved in these attacks as having specific characteristics.

Read the other link I posted above. The media has a narrative that they have latched onto and they can and will sensationalize a story to fit that narrative. Breed unknown? "Pit bull type." Witnesses say "pit bull type." What does the local crackhead know about dogs? Probably nothing. It's not a story unless it's a "pit bull type." That said, I am probably sure that most of these dogs are *intended* to be pits primarily because they're kept in poor conditions by shitbag owners. These are people who breed without regard and they can't even raise their own children. How the fuck would anybody expect them to raise a dog?

Addressed above.  Not interested in the media narrative personally, and to all intents and purposes the name used is irrelevant. The key characteristics are what people see and are what people recognise as pit bull or pit bull type.  If you or other people don't agree with that, then admittedly you have your work cut out to reclaim the name.  In doing so you will have to find another name that suits the dogs which have they key characteristics.  Personally i don't care what you call the these dogs.  When I deal with dogs in my line of work I look at the key physical and temperamental characteristics which tell me the dog may be capable of inflicting serious harm and pose a threat to my safety.  

1) The most common, which is shitbag inner-city "urban" owners leaving unsocialized, abused, poorly (or not at all) trained dogs alone with one of their 50 children (or maybe not alone because their great-grandma was passed out in a chair). They probably got this dog from a back-alley breeder or picked up a stray, usually an unaltered male, because they wanted a status symbol of some sorts. These dogs are almost certainly mixed breeds - boxers, curs, maybe some actual pit - but they are identified as pits by the illiterate retards who own them. Ghetto trash won't have golden retrievers, but if they did this same shit would happen.

I'm inclined to agree.  The breed is relevant and there are going to be broader genetic characteristics which play a role.  As you say, the likelihood of golden retrievers going tonto and killing someone is probably going to be a lot smaller than the likelihood of the pit types and other large aggressive dogs.  bWith the cross breed issue, I remember reading that the common denominator was the pit bull influence in these dogs...... mixes as they might be, and the effects of the mix were clearly a factor, but the common element remained the pit-bull characteristics which people identified with.

2) The least common, which is generally responsible owners who think they can handle known problem dogs, dogs who overreact to certain stimuli, and so on. These will be all sorts of breeds, APBTs and ASTs included. These are rare and the actual breed distribution will not point to anything in particular.

Seems to happen more than I first thought.  Quite a lot of these incidents happen in situations where the dog has exhibited no previous aggressive behaviour or given any sign of an inclination towards aggression towards the victim.  A rather large number of these attacks are accompanied by the shock of the dog's owner and other people in the household that their family pet would do such a thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're suggesting that there's an epidemic of dogs attacking and/or killing people, there most certainly is not.

Not suggesting that....... but that would depend on your definition of an epidemic, or how you misuse the word.  Is there an unacceptable level of dog attacks?  I would be inclined to say that there is.

If you're suggesting that there's an epidemic of "pit bull type" dogs attacking and/or killing people, there most certainly is not.

As above.  However there number of attacks according to the statistics indicate that "Pit bull type" dogs are responsible for a significant number of attack. More so than any other identifiable breed.

The number of breeds considered "pit bull types" is insane and probably around two dozen if not more. That's a substantial number of dogs, and the total number of dog/human interactions is probably on the order of billions a day. It is of course regrettable when a human is killed or maimed by a dog, as that is almost universally avoidable. I contend (as do veterinary experts and dog experts) that the breed has next to nothing to do with that, however, and I show up in these threads because I see people who only care because of the headline containing "pit bull type."

People do not need to know the exact genetic make up of a dog. What people identify with is the characteristics of the dog, it's size, shape, strength and capacity to do harm if it were so inclined.  The gerrymandering around the exact breed is irrelevant in many cases.  The dog is defined by key characteristics and those characteristics are currently most closely associated and grouped as pit bull type dogs.  We all know the type of dog it refers to.  We all probably know that there is a mix in there, but the characteristics remain consistent in the type of dog that is linked to so many of these attacks.

Addressed above.  I do not subscribe to the "if it's not genetically proven then it's not a pit" diversionary tactics employed by some.  I think it is a red herring designed to shift the emphasis of the debate for all the wrong reasons.  The identification argument is without merit in many cases because so few dogs are of pure breed that even purists cannot agree on what a genetically pure Pit is.  The best they can come up with after millions of years of evolution is a form of nomenclature that is based on a the representation that most suits their perception of what the dog should be.  In that sense they are no different to the people who perceive the pit bull type dogs involved in these attacks as having specific characteristics.

Addressed above.  Not interested in the media narrative personally, and to all intents and purposes the name used is irrelevant. The key characteristics are what people see and are what people recognise as pit bull or pit bull type.  If you or other people don't agree with that, then admittedly you have your work cut out to reclaim the name.  In doing so you will have to find another name that suits the dogs which have they key characteristics.  Personally i don't care what you call the these dogs.  When I deal with dogs in my line of work I look at the key physical and temperamental characteristics which tell me the dog may be capable of inflicting serious harm and pose a threat to my safety.  

I'm inclined to agree.  The breed is relevant and there are going to be broader genetic characteristics which play a role.  As you say, the likelihood of golden retrievers going tonto and killing someone is probably going to be a lot smaller than the likelihood of the pit types and other large aggressive dogs.  bWith the cross breed issue, I remember reading that the common denominator was the pit bull influence in these dogs...... mixes as they might be, and the effects of the mix were clearly a factor, but the common element remained the pit-bull characteristics which people identified with.

Seems to happen more than I first thought.  Quite a lot of these incidents happen in situations where the dog has exhibited no previous aggressive behaviour or given any sign of an inclination towards aggression towards the victim.  A rather large number of these attacks are accompanied by the shock of the dog's owner and other people in the household that their family pet would do such a thing.

Responses in red. Thanks for taking the time to type out a reasonable response.

I'm not suggesting that I know the solution to this.  There is clearly a debate to be had once we got over the initial defensiveness and accusations.

However, we really do need to decide whether there is problem or not first.  If people think that the number of attacks is unacceptable, whether they result in death or not, then clearly it needs to be looked into further.

To do this we need to credibly and sensibly identify the characteristics and key factors which contribute to the increased risk of serious injury or death.  Those factors will naturally mean considering the dogs physical and temperamental characteristics, the influence of appropriate training and control and the commonalities in the scenarios where serious dog attacks take place.

Getting tied up in the semantics of nomenclature and debate over purist genetics does nothing but stall the best chance you have of getting to grips with the real problem and approaching the risk factors without the bias of breed loyalty.  

The longer this drags on without sensible debate, the greater the momentum of the opposing narratives an the greater the likelihood that one-jerk and draconian measures will be taken which fail to address the root causes.

I'll leave you with that.......it's late here and way past bedtime.  Have a good evening.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/douglas-anthony-cooper/merritt-clifton-pit-bulls_b_5866176.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The numbers can be approached from several different directions, independent of Clifton's publication - and there is a surprising degree of agreement in the data.

You may not agree with Clifton's subjective opinions, but the numbers do check out.

I guess I could also point out that insurance companies are in good agreement with the above figures, but I'm sure some will call them banksters and whatever, and dismiss that as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you actually account for ownership, neighborhood, socioeconomic status, and upbringing, a pit bull is not going to be any more likely to attack their own family than any other dog. It's dog behavior. Just because a dog attacks an owner or its own family (I personally have seen a cocker spaniel, a Jack Russell, a husky/dachshund mix, and a chocolate lab all do this) does not mean the breed is predisposed to it.

When dogs (and unaltered male dogs in particular) are kept as status symbols by people incapable of doing much of anything right, this will happen. It has happened with other breeds in other countries that have banned pitbulls. It used to happen with other breeds in this country that were "tough guy" dogs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, right?

I mean seriously, what percentage of these pitbull attacks come from trash people?

100% you say?

Well how the hell can that be?

I got almost two decades of LE work that says different.

Seen middle class people who were not minorities have their pitbull attack their own family.

Sadly, saw a 1 1/2 year old have his lung punctured by the pit who grabbed him by the ribs.

It's the dog.

If you actually account for ownership, neighborhood, socioeconomic status, and upbringing, a pit bull is not going to be any more likely to attack their own family than any other dog. It's dog behavior. Just because a dog attacks an owner or its own family (I personally have seen a cocker spaniel, a Jack Russell, a husky/dachshund mix, and a chocolate lab all do this) does not mean the breed is predisposed to it.

When dogs (and unaltered male dogs in particular) are kept as status symbols by people incapable of doing much of anything right, this will happen. It has happened with other breeds in other countries that have banned pitbulls. It used to happen with other breeds in this country that were "tough guy" dogs.

Very covincing data here.  Oh, nm.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The numbers can be approached from several different directions, independent of Clifton's publication - and there is a surprising degree of agreement in the data.

You may not agree with Clifton's subjective opinions, but the numbers do check out.

View Quote

I love surprises. Let's see the source material.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Are pitbulls popular dogs in the United States?   Are there many of them?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:10:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Popular in certain circles, but way down the list of most popular.  I tried to find numbers, but there aren't any that are reliable.  There are several breeds that are considered "Pit Bulls", and the numbers are based on registered dogs.  I would guess that a relatively low percentage of them are registered.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:14:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Popular in certain circles, but way down the list of most popular.  I tried to find numbers, but there aren't any that are reliable.  There are several breeds that are considered "Pit Bulls", and the numbers are based on registered dogs.  I would guess that a relatively low percentage of them are registered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually in the top three in most states (behind labs and chihuahuas).
FAR more pitbulls than Dobermans, Rottweilers, or GSD.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Destroy every pit on the planet with spiked baseball bats.  I fucking hate them and I don't care if you compare my view to some other liberal agenda. It's my god damn opinion and I'm free to have it.  Kill'em all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARFCOM apologists inform me that there is no such breed as a Pit Bull.  Therefore the story must be wrong.

You can try and start with mine if you're feeling tough?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, really?  I would have guessed the second part, but the numbers I managed to find had them in the bottom half of the top 100.  I guess it's like I said... those numbers are based on registered dogs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And when he's done with yours he's welcome to give mine a whirl.

The reality is he's never gonna do a fucking thing except yap yap yap on the Internet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were some CDC and JAVMA papers with overlapping intervals and they concurred with Clifton's numbers.    Alternatively, one could also tally up the info linked in Wikipedia, and probably find it in good agreement with the numbers posted above, at least with respect to fatalities.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, right?

I mean seriously, what percentage of these pitbull attacks come from trash people?

100% you say?

Seen middle class people who were not minorities have their pitbull attack their own family.

Sadly, saw a 1 1/2 year old have his lung punctured by the pit who grabbed him by the ribs.

It's the dog.

What did the breeders of these other "tough guy" breeds do to address the issues?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What did the breeders of these other "tough guy" breeds do to address the issues?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, right?

100% you say?

It's the dog.

A dog is an animal that can't exactly be reasoned with, so there is no solution other than to cull the animal. Responsible breeders do this from the start, only using the healthiest and best-tempered individuals to produce litters. There are no responsible breeders where these attacks occur. There is no attempt made to remove bad-tempered dogs from the genetic line - in fact, if anything it's encouraged. There is no attempt to socialize or to monitor interaction between dogs and humans. The entire environment is basically a constant source of stimuli to dogs - and not settling ones.

When it was Dobermans in the 1970's and 1980's, there was really nothing that could be done until another dog took its place. Now it's the "pit bull type." The problem is fortunately relatively inconsequential as in those same environments people are killing each other by the truckload so the occasional dog mauling doesn't register very high on the relative importance scale.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A dog is an animal that can't exactly be reasoned with, so there is no solution other than to cull the animal. Responsible breeders do this from the start, only using the healthiest and best-tempered individuals to produce litters. There are no responsible breeders where these attacks occur. There is no attempt made to remove bad-tempered dogs from the genetic line - in fact, if anything it's encouraged. There is no attempt to socialize or to monitor interaction between dogs and humans. The entire environment is basically a constant source of stimuli to dogs - and not settling ones.

When it was Dobermans in the 1970's and 1980's, there was really nothing that could be done until another dog took its place. Now it's the "pit bull type." The problem is fortunately relatively inconsequential as in those same environments people are killing each other by the truckload so the occasional dog mauling doesn't register very high on the relative importance scale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, right?

100% you say?

It's the dog.

I disagree with the bit in red..... there is plenty that can be done.  The issue around Dobermans back in the 70's and 80's was handled badly, and in reality that issue pales by comparison to some of the statistics surrounding "pit bull types".

While those are all fairly credible claims you make, you need to be able to evidence them, rather than rely on anecdotal assessments.

If you can prove that there are certain types of breeders and certain sectors of society which influence the likelihood of these dogs attacking people then you are part way to drilling down to the root causes of the problem and devising measures which can be implemented if necessary to reduce risk.  This helps to demonstrate that the risk from well trained and controlled dogs from a good breeding stock present a lower risk - if that indeed is the case.

You also need to be careful not to fall into the trap of making assumptions about ghetto dogs etc.  There will be information around the circumstances of each attack and the conditions leading up to it that will need to be considered, and it may be that the dog was well trained and cared for, and might have had come from good stock.

Your claims also need to be considered in context with other elements of the dog attack statistics so that the limitations of those claims can be identified and other avenues explored help understand why dogs from other backgrounds attack.

By doing this you can start to reclaim the name from the media narrative you refer to.  However, take an entrenched position based on denial without the evidence to back that denial up, and you will continue to lose ground.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Hey! A new use for this.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#43]
My neighborhood is self-contained, wealthy, predominantly white, and filled with professionals, high ranking military and retired executives/Flag Officers ($750k-$2M houses).

People walk their dogs all day long.  There are several little white yappy dogs.  There are three Black Labs.  There is one Golden Retriever.   Five shaggy mutts.  Two GSD's.  One magnificent Rhodesian Ridgeback.  And Four Pitbulls (one of which the owners INSISTS is a lab/boxer mix lol).

Pitbulls are the predominant breed in this neighborhood.  No hoodrats, not flat bills, and only one inky.   If you go to our local shelter, about 80% of the dogs are pits or pit mixes.   Again, not a trashy area.

How is this possible?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I disagree with the bit in red..... there is plenty that can be done.  The issue around Dobermans back in the 70's and 80's was handled badly, and in reality that issue pales by comparison to some of the statistics surrounding "pit bull types".

While those are all fairly credible claims you make, you need to be able to evidence them, rather than rely on anecdotal assessments.

If you can prove that there are certain types of breeders and certain sectors of society which influence the likelihood of these dogs attacking people then you are part way to drilling down to the root causes of the problem and devising measures which can be implemented if necessary to reduce risk.  This helps to demonstrate that the risk from well trained and controlled dogs from a good breeding stock present a lower risk - if that indeed is the case.

You also need to be careful not to fall into the trap of making assumptions about ghetto dogs etc.  There will be information around the circumstances of each attack and the conditions leading up to it that will need to be considered, and it may be that the dog was well trained and cared for, and might have had come from good stock.

Your claims also need to be considered in context with other elements of the dog attack statistics so that the limitations of those claims can be identified and other avenues explored help understand why dogs from other backgrounds attack.

By doing this you can start to reclaim the name from the media narrative you refer to.  However, take an entrenched position based on denial without the evidence to back that denial up, and you will continue to lose ground.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I don't know how to "prove" what you want me to prove. It is possible that there might be AKC registered APBTs or ASTs in the inner city, but I would say it's highly unlikely based simply on the fact that there is no money to be made there. Breeders can't sell their dogs to people that don't have the money to buy them.

Here is a good source (in addition to what I already posted, mind you) of information on why dogs bite:

http://dogbitelaw.com/why-dogs-bite-people/chaining-being-male-other-causes-of-dog-bites

Neutering is the single biggest thing people can do to reduce the incidence of aggression. Females are not involved in the majority of dog bites of any breed, even though they might be more territorial with other dogs.

Given that the vast majority of dog bite victims are children, it stands to reason that is something inherent to children (or the dog/child interaction). Having been around dogs my entire life, I can tell you there are two very important steps to take.

1) Supervise ALL interactions with dogs and children, ensuring that both the dog and the child understand what is and is not appropriate behavior. I have seen children tug on dogs' ears, tails, skin, you name it. No dog likes that. It is possible to teach a dog to tolerate such treatment, but it is generally much easier to teach the child.

2) Teach the child to "ask" all dogs, especially unfamiliar ones, for permission to pet them. While I know it as common sense, kids don't. Don't make sudden or loud noises, get down on their level, let them smell you and look at you, and then slowly touch them in a way they will not be threatened by. Dogs size you up quickly and you will know whether they accept you or not. If it doesn't, then LEAVE THE DAMN THING ALONE. This is what kids don't get.

I don't care what the breed is, but if you a) spay or neuter the animal, b) socialize the dog with other people and dogs when young, and c) teach your damn children how to interact with a dog, you could reduce the incidence of dog bites - regardless of breed - by 95% or more.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My neighborhood is self-contained, wealthy, predominantly white, and filled with professionals, high ranking military and retired executives/Flag Officers ($750k-$2M houses).

People walk their dogs all day long.  There are several little white yappy dogs.  There are three Black Labs.  There is one Golden Retriever.   Five shaggy mutts.  Two GSD's.  One magnificent Rhodesian Ridgeback.  And Four Pitbulls (one of which the owners INSISTS is a lab/boxer mix lol).

Pitbulls are the predominant breed in this neighborhood.  No hoodrats, not flat bills, and only one inky.   If you go to our local shelter, about 80% of the dogs are pits or pit mixes.   Again, not a trashy area.

How is this possible?
View Quote

Either they're not all they're cracked up to be as pets, reputation keeps adoption rates low, or both.

It could be that a lot of first time owners get pit bulls as the trendy choice, and find out that they're not cut out to be dog owners.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#46]
that's just a misunderstood dog who was trained to be a killer by bloodthirsty cartel members who hate kids. They're totally safe and awesome dogs, you should get some for your babies.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well, I don't know how to "prove" what you want me to prove. It is possible that there might be AKC registered APBTs or ASTs in the inner city, but I would say it's highly unlikely based simply on the fact that there is no money to be made there. Breeders can't sell their dogs to people that don't have the money to buy them.

Here is a good source (in addition to what I already posted, mind you) of information on why dogs bite:

http://dogbitelaw.com/why-dogs-bite-people/chaining-being-male-other-causes-of-dog-bites

Neutering is the single biggest thing people can do to reduce the incidence of aggression. Females are not involved in the majority of dog bites of any breed, even though they might be more territorial with other dogs.

Given that the vast majority of dog bite victims are children, it stands to reason that is something inherent to children (or the dog/child interaction). Having been around dogs my entire life, I can tell you there are two very important steps to take.

1) Supervise ALL interactions with dogs and children, ensuring that both the dog and the child understand what is and is not appropriate behavior. I have seen children tug on dogs' ears, tails, skin, you name it. No dog likes that. It is possible to teach a dog to tolerate such treatment, but it is generally much easier to teach the child.

2) Teach the child to "ask" all dogs, especially unfamiliar ones, for permission to pet them. While I know it as common sense, kids don't. Don't make sudden or loud noises, get down on their level, let them smell you and look at you, and then slowly touch them in a way they will not be threatened by. Dogs size you up quickly and you will know whether they accept you or not. If it doesn't, then LEAVE THE DAMN THING ALONE. This is what kids don't get.

I don't care what the breed is, but if you a) spay or neuter the animal, b) socialize the dog with other people and dogs when young, and c) teach your damn children how to interact with a dog, you could reduce the incidence of dog bites - regardless of breed - by 95% or more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends where you are I suppose, but the data for our country shows that the age range most likely to get bitten statistically is 45-49 year olds.  This is closely followed by 5-9 year olds and then and the age ranges either side of 45 and 49 years old.

Basically you are more likely to be bitten if you are your 40's and early 50's.  This was consistently the case across the regions.

I'm referring to data from the UK specifically, but the the principles you have referred to indicate that you have made an general assumption that kids are more likely to be seriously bitten to the extent that the bite would be recorded and need treatment. This apparently is not the case.

stats here

Again you make several statements such as "the vast majority of dog bite victims are children".  Is this borne out by the evidence?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Sad for the little boy, WHO CARES WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF DOG IT WAS !. A LITTLE BOY WAS KILLED! Sad only for the boy and his family! Some of you are heartless fucks!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sad for the little boy, WHO CARES WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF DOG IT WAS !. A LITTLE BOY WAS KILLED! Sad only for the boy and his family! Some of you are heartless fucks!
View Quote

Thread title says otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Depends where you are I suppose, but the data for our country shows that the age range most likely to get bitten statistically is 45-49 year olds.  This is closely followed by 5-9 year olds and then and the age ranges either side of 45 and 49 years old.

Basically you are more likely to be bitten if you are your 40's and early 50's.  This was consistently the case across the regions.

I'm referring to data from the UK specifically, but the the principles you have referred to indicate that you have made an general assumption that kids are more likely to be seriously bitten to the extent that the bite would be recorded and need treatment. This apparently is not the case.

stats here

Again you make several statements such as "the vast majority of dog bite victims are children".  Is this borne out by the evidence?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

stats here

Yes, it is. Depending on the source, it's anywhere from 50% to 75%. This depends further on how the statistics are interpreted. In any case, yes, children are attacked by dogs at a highly disproportionate rate.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top