Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2015 1:17:51 PM EDT
You all helped me fix my power washer so lets try my old ass Craftsman 6.0 lawn mower.
It sat for a year and a half. The carb screw just needed some adjustment and she was running fine yesterday. Did my whole lawn with her then she ran out of gas. Filled her up with last years snow blower gas which was still good a few months ago and now she won't start. This leads me to believe it could be bad gas but the blower started up perfectly fine two months ago with it. If I spray starter fluid in the air cleaner hole she will start up for a second and then die.

- Changed oil since it hadn't been done for ages.
- Checked for spark and it is good. Sparking like a mofo.
- Took apart the carb and sprayed carb cleaner until it was coming out of every hole.
- Cleaned the jet on the bottom of the bowl.
- Soaked the whole carb in some carb cleaner in a bowl.

What am I missing here?

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Drain the tank and refill with fresh fuel.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing if it starts on starting fluid but won't stay running it's not getting gas. Obviously check your petcock and make sure it's open. Then take the float bowl back off, and actually take out the jet. Run a small wire through it, (bread tie works nicely).  Reassemble and turn on the choke. Give her a few pulls. Add some seafoam to your gas for preventative measures.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm guessing if it starts on starting fluid but won't stay running it's not getting gas. Obviously check your petcock and make sure it's open. Then take the float bowl back off, and actually take out the jet. Run a small wire through it, (bread tie works nicely).  Reassemble and turn on the choke. Give her a few pulls. Add some seafoam to your gas for preventative measures.
View Quote

This part interests me. I don't think this specific model actually has a fuel petcock. I did take out the jet and run a wire through it til it came out every other hole. It took a while to take that damn bread tie stripped down to the wire.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]
fuel line or diaphram clogged up?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think it could be the fuel line. I sprayed cleaner down there til it came out of every which way.

So the priming bulb says 5x push. But it never gets stiff/full if I press it more. It almost seems like its not getting fuel? Although when I disconnect the cup/fuel line there is plenty of fuel in there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Your picture didn't load for me when I first posted. You obviously don't have a petcock on it.
Is your spark plug nice and clean?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Your picture didn't load for me when I first posted. You obviously don't have a petcock on it.
View Quote

It's clean. Not nice and clean, but clean. This thing was running a day ago like a champ til I ran out of gas. It was the first time running it this season. I did disconnect it and put it up against something metal and saw some nice sparks coming out of it though so I believe its good.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#8]
first step is to Drain that gas and put in fresh gas. dont do anything else until you have done that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

first step is to Drain that gas and put in fresh gas. dont do anything else until you have done that.
View Quote
This!

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Is that a Tecumseh motor?
If so, there is a reason they went out of business.
Maybe you sucked the dirt from bottom of fuel tank into carb?
I guess you did clean out the carb.
Are your fuel lines good, no pinholes?
I've had that happen on the primer bulb side.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's clean. Not nice and clean, but clean. This thing was running a day ago like a champ til I ran out of gas. It was the first time running it this season. I did disconnect it and put it up against something metal and saw some nice sparks coming out of it though so I believe its good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if some small trash in the gas take has found a magic spot to sit in the carb.
My new magic way to clean carbs is to take it off and apart and give it 20 minutes in a harbor freight ultra sonic cleaner cleaner. A very light mix of simple green (HD ) and water.
Use the HD version version, sold at home depot. Regular simple green is corrosive to aluminum, and requires a fresh water bath after cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This!

Yes.  And don't get crazy with the starting fluid either.  Matter of fact throw that crap in the trash or go make a flamethrower with it...

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't think it could be the fuel line. I sprayed cleaner down there til it came out of every which way.

So the priming bulb says 5x push. But it never gets stiff/full if I press it more. It almost seems like its not getting fuel? Although when I disconnect the cup/fuel line there is plenty of fuel in there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As per above above post, may be a small hole in the line (s).
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes.  And don't get crazy with the starting fluid either.  Matter of fact throw that crap in the trash or go make a flamethrower with it...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This!

Why?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Filled up with fresh gas and still a no go. I'll check the lines but did not see any holes. Guessing the lines we are taking about going from the fuel tank to the carb? And the carb to the engine?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#16]
And when you take the bowl off the carb it's always full of fuel?

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And when you take the bowl off the carb it's always full of fuel?

View Quote

I wouldn't say full but there definitely is fuel that spills out of the line and fuel in the bowl. This is mind boggling.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Drain the tank and refill with fresh fuel.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#19]
What else could I be missing?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pull the float bowl off again and look for some sediment.
Unscrew the main jet and blow it out with cleaner and put it back together and try using fresh gas.
Make sure the needle and seat are working properly and blow that out too.
Take gas tank off and clean it out, could be some scale crap in there getting into the carb.

There is a reason it's not getting gas.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Guy at work did this when his gas tank rusted out and it works fine.
I don't know if it will help but it's a cool project.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Unscrew the main jet and blow it out with cleaner and put it back together and try using fresh gas.
Take gas tank off and clean it out, could be some scale crap in there getting into the carb.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I spray some air from my compressor in the carb or bad idea?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Well this is fucked. Took the whole thing apart replaced all the parts inside the bowl and flushed the carb out completely til she was pissing out of ever hole. She will stay running for a little if I prime and start at the same time.

But with her off now shes just leaking out fuel from the air filter hole. Like a fast drip.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Primer bulb is shot/cracked/old. Check it and replace if needed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Primer bulb is shot/cracked/old. Check it and replace if needed.
View Quote

I'll check it. I had it off today and it looked fine visually. Ill take another look.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Bulb appears to be OK. Old but good. This is really pissin me off. About to just burn this thing down to the ground.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well this is fucked. Took the whole thing apart replaced all the parts inside the bowl and flushed the carb out completely til she was pissing out of ever hole. She will stay running for a little if I prime and start at the same time.

But with her off now shes just leaking out fuel from the air filter hole. Like a fast drip.
View Quote

Needle is not seating correctly.
Did you check the float level ?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Float level looks good. I just took the bowl off and its bone dry. What the fuck.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Guessing this is correct for the needle placement? Keep in mind im holding it at an angle.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Float level looks good. I just took the bowl off and its bone dry. What the fuck.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2vi30ap.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the float bowl is empty and fuel is coming out of the throat of the carb?

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuel was dripping/spraying out of the air filter inlet hole. I have the air filter (cone style) off. Bowl is empty.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Check your oil level again. Is the crankcase flooded with fuel?
the float bowl should be full.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Just went through this with my old eager 1 craftsman mower.

You obviously have a handle on what you are doing, however this may add more.

http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/lmfaq/lmclctc.htm

I noticed tour throttle linkage appears to be on incorrectly.   Not sure that matters if it was working yesterday.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/mr2cycle/2011-07-04_185237_linkage.pdf
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a tiller giving me fits.

Just bought an entire new carb for it

You might start thinking about that
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I noticed tour throttle linkage appears to be on incorrectly.   Not sure that matters if it was working yesterday.

View Quote

Fuck that is on backwards for me. I swear to fuckin god if I have to take this whole thing apart one more fuckin time I am going to cunt punch this fuckin mower over a god damn fuckin cliff.

I am at the point where it starts for a few seconds then sputters and just dies. Fuck my god damn fuckin life right now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Make sure the choke is opening back up after it starts

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Fuck that is on backwards for me. I swear to fuckin god if I have to take this whole thing apart one more fuckin time I am going to cunt punch this fuckin mower over a god damn fuckin cliff.

I am at the point where it starts for a few seconds then sputters and just dies. Fuck my god damn fuckin life right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 28 foot Bayliner did this to me for two years.  I rebuilt the Holley 4bbl twice and it did all the same shit your mower is doing.  I finally ordered a new carb for it and bolted it on, and it ran like a top.  I don't know what they are putting in gas these days, but it eats fucking carbs.    
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Yup fuck it I am done. Fuck this thing. Completely done with this fucker. Wasted a week of my fucking time trying to figure this little fuckin cunt out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Make sure the choke is opening back up after it starts

View Quote
Doesn't have one.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Also my snowblower runs on oil/gas mix. Sure you didn't dump mix into the lawnmower tank?

J-
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#41]
check to see if the bolt  that hold the bowl on has holes in it. Some do and some don't.  if it does clean the holes .
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Diaphragm gasket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top