Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 5/24/2015 11:23:54 AM EDT

This past week, President Obama discussed the idea that law enforcement should wear “softer looking” uniforms. While there were plenty of jokes about the comment, we need to understand that the President didn’t just throw that out there for discussion. In recent months he has been engaged on a high level with law enforcement forums, groups and his task force on 21st century policing. Several ideas, including efforts to take away certain military items from law enforcement agencies, have all been presented to the President.
At a recent meeting of the Police Executive Research Forum (PERF), a lengthy discussion revolved around the “soft” uniform idea. Photographs of the traditional “Class A Blue” uniform were shown next to some of the current uniforms of our profession, including external vests, tactical pants, etc. I admit that from a philosophical and academic view, the idea that a non-tactical uniform may make citizens feel more comfortable makes sense. The “Adam 12” look-alike may make someone feel like they can approach law enforcement, but ultimately these thoughts leave out a harsh reality—a reality that law enforcement leaders need to take into account before implementing this particular recommendation.

Functionality
I don’t know of one officer who places their external ballistic vest over their head and their tactical pants on and thinks to themselves, “I’m going to occupy a community.” The idea that citizens are made to believe there is an occupying force in the neighborhood because law enforcement is wearing a uniform that is practical and functional is ridiculous. While great strides have been made in vest technology, ballistic vests under a uniform will never be comfortable, especially level 3 vests that have become increasingly necessary with the violence and firepower that law enforcement is facing today.
Combine the health issues associated with gear on a gun belt, the fact that some of that gear can be placed on an external vest to properly distribute the weight, and these so called “military” vests become even more important to street cops. Tactical pants with pockets have become lighter, cheaper and more effective in storing gear such as tourniquets and med kits. While 17-oz, 100% wool uniform pants keep a crease and look great, they make no sense to a working cop. Try running in the summer or crawling under a car to investigate a scene and you will quickly realize that there must be other options.

When it comes to the uniform options our officers have today, it’s clearly not about a military look or an intimidation factor. It’s simply about outfitting law enforcement with gear that is functional and comfortable to their duties. There is a time and place for the Adam 12 look. In my current position, I have that look most of the time. I attend community meetings and schools. I address officers in squad meetings and visit with politicians and community leaders and, yes, I wear the 17-oz, 100% wool pants, internal vest and creased uniform shirt—without the hat! With that said, I believe it’s my duty as a commander and leader to be on the streets with the men and women in my agency. I was on patrol last week wearing my external vest, pants and boots. I wasn’t there to “occupy,” but rather to do police work or, as some of my officers may say, “act like it.”
This is about functionality and what our officers need to do their job. We don’t need grenade launchers, as the President as stated (were those ever an option for us?), but our officers need to be as comfortable and functional as possible. If politicians are concerned that citizens are scared of that look, then those citizens need to be educated.

View Quote

http://www.lawofficer.com/articles/2015/05/why-the-soft-uniform-is-dangerous.html
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
If I use enough fabric softener in the wash...

I could deduct the extra Downy I will have to buy off my taxes...
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm glad I am plain clothes most of the time.  Obama is a fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to get dressed for work while listening to Dr. Dre "Keep Their Heads Ringin.'"

We did community policing and had good relations with the public, but that had nothing to do with what the uniform looked like.  BDU type uniforms are about function.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#4]
To understand what El Presidente said here " racist Pig Cops are causing urban yutes to act out beause they be intimidated by your  pants"
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I never understood wearing a ballistic vest under the shirt. Even the British Bobbies wear their vest over their shirts and they don't carry a gun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Coming soon:  Barry's Brownshirts

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
This won't apply to TSA.   Hard uni's on those retards are needed for even the slightest projection of legitimate authority, and it's a disarmed environment so no worries about resembling Stasi troopers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Polo shirts don't do much for an officer who has to work in North Dakota or other northern states during the winter. Heck, it snows in GA and Virginia too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate the standard polyester uniform. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter and sticks to you when it catches fire.

The natural fibers pocket pants and polos are great.
View Quote

They should put you in full cotton uniforms like what we wear.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish we could wear a "practical" and "functional" uniform. But "tradition".  
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hate the standard polyester uniform. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter and sticks to you when it catches fire.

View Quote

As a guy who works for a department where we wear those I can relate. Lit a flare one time and a piece caught my pants and it almost got bad really quick.  

We are still wearing the same uniforms we have been for decades. No external carriers or anything. All heavy, inpractical leather gear.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#13]
You know what the police could do if they wanted to have better relations with their community?   Be polite and approachable.

I live in a very small town. Some of the cops are guys I went to high school with.  One was a fairly close friend that used to shoot on my sporting clays team when we were young.  But once that Uniform is on, none of them are friendly. None of them are approachable. Not even my sporting clays buddy.  Let's just call sporting clays buddy "Ben"  I can run across Ben at the local convenience store while he is off duty and he will come up to me and shoot the breeze and ask how the wife is doing.   On the contrary, I could see Ben the next week at the same store while he is in uniform and say "Hey Ben, how you doing?"  And he will square up with me , move his hands into a defensive position and stare at me like I am a criminal trying to get the drop on him and NOT answer me. Not one word!  Really? WTF  So when the uniform is on, I am guilty until proven innocent or not breathing I guess.   I sometimes see him parked in his cruiser in town and I wave when I drive by, Ben just stares at me with a look like, "if he could kill me he would"  Yet off duty, friendly and nice.  

However it's not just the "Ben character" that is like this. It is every single one that I see.   I know a lot of the cops in my small town.  I try to be friendly, say hello to them in passing or wave while driving by.  All I get in return is the "if looks could kill you would be dead peasant!"  Never do I hear a "doing fine, how about you?"  Or "good thanks for asking?"  

If you are a cop and want the communities support. Work on public relations on the street.  Why would anybody feel good about cops when they here of all the bad cop fiascos on the internet and then find their own local cops to be condescending assholes that will not lower themselves to even acknowledge people in their community. Even law abiding people that they have known and been friends with for years.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I loved wearing BDUs (cammies) in USMC..I would think as LEO, this is what they should wear, its comfy, loose fitting and can move without any restrictions, plus has cargo pockets, etc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As a guy who works for a department where we wear those I can relate. Lit a flare one time and a piece caught my pants and it almost got bad really quick.  

We are still wearing the same uniforms we have been for decades. No external carriers or anything. All heavy, inpractical leather gear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget the hats!!!  "It's hard to tell you're the police without your hat on." One of my previous chiefs actually said something like that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Eh, I would say I wear "soft" uniforms most of the time. We have the option to wear the 5.11 two tone royal/black bike patrol uniform polo. I wear that sucker most days even when I'm not performing bike duties. I can say that it does give a "softer" look. I've had a couple of people ask me if I can arrest a person when wearing that uniform. No. Freaking. Joke.

Not my dept, but that's the uniform I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I never understood wearing a ballistic vest under the shirt. Even the British Bobbies wear their vest over their shirts and they don't carry a gun.
View Quote

less 'aggressive' looking.

the British vests are stab resistant vests and not rated for gunfire.  at least thats how it used to be; things might be different now...

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

new jersey st police kinda have that look to them..

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Eh, I would say I wear "soft" uniforms most of the time. We have the option to wear the 5.11 two tone royal/black bike patrol uniform polo. I wear that sucker most days even when I'm not performing bike duties. I can say that it does give a "softer" look. I've had a couple of people ask me if I can arrest a person when wearing that uniform. No. Freaking. Joke.
View Quote

I've been a bike cop for almost 6 years and have spent the entire time wearing the standard royal blue bike cop polo with black pants/shorts.  I get asked almost daily if I'm a real cop.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This guy sounds over the top with wanting "military" gear to wear, more so than most I've heard. He doesn't even want to wear a normal duty belt by itself, he wants tac vests and plate carriers. The part in red is the most important part. It's not his job to portray a particular image to the public, but it IS his job to make them accept one. lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This past week, President Obama discussed the idea that law enforcement should wear “softer looking” uniforms. While there were plenty of jokes about the comment, we need to understand that the President didn’t just throw that out there for discussion. In recent months he has been engaged on a high level with law enforcement forums, groups and his task force on 21st century policing. Several ideas, including efforts to take away certain military items from law enforcement agencies, have all been presented to the President.
At a recent meeting of the Police Executive Research Forum (PERF), a lengthy discussion revolved around the “soft” uniform idea. Photographs of the traditional “Class A Blue” uniform were shown next to some of the current uniforms of our profession, including external vests, tactical pants, etc. I admit that from a philosophical and academic view, the idea that a non-tactical uniform may make citizens feel more comfortable makes sense. The “Adam 12” look-alike may make someone feel like they can approach law enforcement, but ultimately these thoughts leave out a harsh reality—a reality that law enforcement leaders need to take into account before implementing this particular recommendation.

Functionality
I don’t know of one officer who places their external ballistic vest over their head and their tactical pants on and thinks to themselves, “I’m going to occupy a community.” The idea that citizens are made to believe there is an occupying force in the neighborhood because law enforcement is wearing a uniform that is practical and functional is ridiculous. While great strides have been made in vest technology, ballistic vests under a uniform will never be comfortable, especially level 3 vests that have become increasingly necessary with the violence and firepower that law enforcement is facing today.
Combine the health issues associated with gear on a gun belt, the fact that some of that gear can be placed on an external vest to properly distribute the weight, and these so called “military” vests become even more important to street cops. Tactical pants with pockets have become lighter, cheaper and more effective in storing gear such as tourniquets and med kits. While 17-oz, 100% wool uniform pants keep a crease and look great, they make no sense to a working cop. Try running in the summer or crawling under a car to investigate a scene and you will quickly realize that there must be other options.

When it comes to the uniform options our officers have today, it’s clearly not about a military look or an intimidation factor. It’s simply about outfitting law enforcement with gear that is functional and comfortable to their duties. There is a time and place for the Adam 12 look. In my current position, I have that look most of the time. I attend community meetings and schools. I address officers in squad meetings and visit with politicians and community leaders and, yes, I wear the 17-oz, 100% wool pants, internal vest and creased uniform shirt—without the hat! With that said, I believe it’s my duty as a commander and leader to be on the streets with the men and women in my agency. I was on patrol last week wearing my external vest, pants and boots. I wasn’t there to “occupy,” but rather to do police work or, as some of my officers may say, “act like it.”
This is about functionality and what our officers need to do their job. We don’t need grenade launchers, as the President as stated (were those ever an option for us?), but our officers need to be as comfortable and functional as possible. If politicians are concerned that citizens are scared of that look, then those citizens need to be educated.

http://www.lawofficer.com/articles/2015/05/why-the-soft-uniform-is-dangerous.html

This guy sounds over the top with wanting "military" gear to wear, more so than most I've heard. He doesn't even want to wear a normal duty belt by itself, he wants tac vests and plate carriers. The part in red is the most important part. It's not his job to portray a particular image to the public, but it IS his job to make them accept one. lol

I agree with him.

Anybody who is that concerned about cargo pockets is probably the same one that freaks out when someone mentions "evil black rifles".
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/New-Jersey-State-Police-courtest-tumblr.com__zpsdypyhfuw.jpg

Not NJSP. That's the Massachusetts State Police Class A dress uniform.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/New-Jersey-State-Police-courtest-tumblr.com__zpsdypyhfuw.jpg

Sucks that your searching skills are needing of improvement.

(That isnt the NJSP)
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Obama wants to pick out the cops outfits?

That guy has some serious issues.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

(That isnt the NJSP)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(That isnt the NJSP)

Forget Joisey; Rhode Island is where is at...

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3618/3502344303_1d28d7200d_z.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(That isnt the NJSP)

Uniforms always remind me of Me, Myself and Irene.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just look at those jack-boots

Actually that is a good looking uniform but it does not look comfortable or practical for everyday use
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(That isnt the NJSP)

The NJSP uniforms look like they're coming to take you to an... obligatory audience with der Fuhrer.

The RISP uniforms look like they're going to deliver maple syrup.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is that really a daily uniform that they wear to work and not just parades?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(That isnt the NJSP)

Is that really a daily uniform that they wear to work and not just parades?  

I think is their dress uniform (unless you're part of the motorcycle patrol unit)...

Regular duty uniform - the Sam Brown is rather intimidating.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
In PR the cops wear it outside. Or did when I was a kid

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You know what the police could do if they wanted to have better relations with their community?   Be polite and approachable.

If you are a cop and want the communities support. Work on public relations on the street.  Why would anybody feel good about cops when they here of all the bad cop fiascos on the internet and then find their own local cops to be condescending assholes that will not lower themselves to even acknowledge people in their community. Even law abiding people that they have known and been friends with for years.
View Quote

This x 1000..,  fucking douchebag "im above you" bullshit cops and douchebag policies they enforce without any conscience whatsoever..  when cops act the role of the communities' method of keeping order and protection they get respect and compliance, and when they play the role of "its us vs them" then they get its them vs us.  not hard to understand.

so hey - how about a kinder gentler police force that, for example, doesnt have to shoot homeless people for camping out, doesn't just shoot every single fucking dog they ever come across, doesn't use a fucking tank and flashbangs to assault every fucking house like its a war zone, doesnt flashbang babies and 82 year old men, and God help us, gets out there in the community and plays nice to the good guys?  

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This x 1000..,  fucking douchebag "im above you" bullshit cops and douchebag policies they enforce without any conscience whatsoever..  when cops act the role of the communities' method of keeping order and protection they get respect and compliance, and when they play the role of "its us vs them" then they get its them vs us.  not hard to understand.

so hey - how about a kinder gentler police force that, for example, doesnt have to shoot homeless people for camping out, doesn't just shoot every single fucking dog they ever come across, doesn't use a fucking tank and flashbangs to assault every fucking house like its a war zone, doesnt flashbang babies and 82 year old men, and God help us, gets out there in the community and plays nice to the good guys?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Kindler, gentler force"

Working well in Baltimore!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Bow ties for the MF Win!  

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ties seem an odd anachronism, who wears them outside of bankers and lawyers? Some doctors? Even though I am sure cops wear clip ons, the ties are stupid.
View Quote

Couple lawyers wear the bow tie at court.

I have to stifle a laugh.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I loved wearing BDUs (cammies) in USMC..I would think as LEO, this is what they should wear, its comfy, loose fitting and can move without any restrictions, plus has cargo pockets, etc.
View Quote

Statist.

TRUFAX: Lincoln wore cargo pants.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ties seem an odd anachronism, who wears them outside of bankers and lawyers? Some doctors? Even though I am sure cops wear clip ons, the ties are stupid.
View Quote

Pilots. They are necessary to create lift over the wing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
S

Sunglasses  make a better statement
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I've been a bike cop for almost 6 years and have spent the entire time wearing the standard royal blue bike cop polo with black pants/shorts.  I get asked almost daily if I'm a real cop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a button for your uniform that says "Ask about our Hickory Shampoo!"  If your chief questions this, tell him you got this idea from GD.  He'll understand.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't care what cops wear, beyond it makes for amusing Gd threads, but cops don't shave their heads and sprout those sad mustaches for function, they think they look, er, something; and most of the uniform stuff is the same thing, cops wanting to look bad ass and making up nonsense about function and sjw wanting pc uniforms and acting like the Officer Friendly generation didn't crack hippies over the head for being dirty hippies, let attack dogs loose on black men who wanted to go to college and get shit faced at lunch.

I would be shocked to find many tourniquets riding around in the leg pocket of many cop pants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't care what cops wear, beyond it makes for amusing Gd threads, but cops don't shave their heads and sprout those sad mustaches for function, they think they look, er, something; and most of the uniform stuff is the same thing, cops wanting to look bad ass and making up nonsense about function and sjw wanting pc uniforms and acting like the Officer Friendly generation didn't crack hippies over the head for being dirty hippies, let attack dogs loose on black men who wanted to go to college and get shit faced at lunch.

I would be shocked to find many tourniquets riding around in the leg pocket of many cop pants.

TQs are required carry in both of my agencies as well as other local agencies
I'll take the shaved head look over the sloppy  long hair and walrus moustaches of the 70s
Besides, as a single guy its easier to buzz your own head when its time to trim things back

Quoted:

I live in a very small town. Some of the cops are guys I went to high school with.  One was a fairly close friend that used to shoot on my sporting clays team when we were young.  But once that Uniform is on, none of them are friendly. None of them are approachable. Not even my sporting clays buddy.  Let's just call sporting clays buddy "Ben"  I can run across Ben at the local convenience store while he is off duty and he will come up to me and shoot the breeze and ask how the wife is doing.   On the contrary, I could see Ben the next week at the same store while he is in uniform and say "Hey Ben, how you doing?"  And he will square up with me , move his hands into a defensive position and stare at me like I am a criminal trying to get the drop on him and NOT answer me. Not one word!  Really? WTF  So when the uniform is on, I am guilty until proven innocent or not breathing I guess.   I sometimes see him parked in his cruiser in town and I wave when I drive by, Ben just stares at me with a look like, "if he could kill me he would"  Yet off duty, friendly and nice.  

However it's not just the "Ben character" that is like this. It is every single one that I see.   I know a lot of the cops in my small town.  I try to be friendly, say hello to them in passing or wave while driving by.  All I get in return is the "if looks could kill you would be dead peasant!"  Never do I hear a "doing fine, how about you?"  Or "good thanks for asking?"  

To a certain extent its called having your game face on.
Chatting him up on duty is probably not the thing to do.
You seem to sense that
Limit your buddy chats to when he is off duty.
Depending on how busy your locale is your desire to chat him up may be denying him a meal time or the time he needs to catch up on reports and investigations
My experience has been in working agencies of different sizes is that there may not be as many calls, but the sole officer who tends to be on duty in a small jurisdiction is stuck doing more that in larger agencies would get handed off to an officer in another division.
How old are you and he? Younger officers sometimes need a few years to get comfortable in their work environment. Also, quite honestly,maybe you're not the sort of guy he wants associated with him while he is working.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still do, not to mention the black berets.

OPERACIONES TACTICAS!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top