BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, but you'd think they'd at least take their stuff with them when they retreat
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shias are not going to fight for a Sunni town

Yeah, but you'd think they'd at least take their stuff with them when they retreat

When armies retreat hastily they rarely take with them heavy equipment. Usually small arms and whatever vehicles they can use to drive away are about as much as they take.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Frankly I'm sick of this bullshit. I'm of the opinion we make it all one big glass parking lot
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

and the end result of that will be ISIS will be stronger. the attack will fail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shia Militia and IA are already launching a counterattack in Ramadi.

How do you know it will fail? It might, it might not. ISIS has controlled the city for exactly 6 days, hardly enough time to establish supremacy, eliminate all malcontents, shore up support, consolidate their own forces, ally with local Sunni tribes and form them into a cohesive force, and then plan a defense of the city. Swift counter attacks work for a reason. Iraqis are throwing everything and the kitchen sink at retaking Ramadi. As much as you seem to want to admit defeat, they aren't.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

When armies retreat hastily they rarely take with them heavy equipment. Usually small arms and whatever vehicles they can use to drive away are about as much as they take.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't even doing that. In most cases they are not even taking their uniforms.   Also not taking fine but there is a difference between leaving it all perfectly intact and destroying it so the enemy can't use it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Fu@k the whole ME...not worth an additional DROP of American blood...let them go at it for a decade, I'll be in the basement with some popcorn watching them kill eachother.  If we insist on asserting ourselves over there, then do it with several hundred B-61s which is the only thing that will make a REAL difference.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They aren't even doing that. In most cases they are not even taking their uniforms.   Also not taking fine but there is a difference between leaving it all perfectly intact and destroying it so the enemy can't use it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we talking about Ramadi or discussing the entire last year? When Mosul fell, and specifically in Tikrit, many IA units stripped out of their uniforms when it came down to retreating because they had a 117 mile retreat through Sunni Triangle and ISIS controlled towns before reaching the safety of Baghdad. By the time they broke, the units were basically surrounded and lost their means of cohesive resistance. It was a juggernaut assault that had many in this forum, safe in America, already claiming that the entire Middle East was going to fall in weeks to ISIS. How do you think the Iraqis, fighting in Sunni controlled cities, seemingly abandoned by their own commanders and politicians, felt?

In Ramadi, they didn't do this. They didn't throw off their uniforms and run to Baghdad. They simply drove out of the city, a bit to the east, to a new assembly area, to regroup. Within 48 hours, many of those same units were being included in the plans for a counterattack that has already started.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's probably the best analysis of it.

Looks like Iraq is going to be split up into 3 countries after all.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
With Allah, all things are possible.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

That, and general cowardice.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#10]
No shit Sherlock. Where has this bozo been? Oh, that's right....he's had his nose up oblamo's ass for years and now he figured it out. Great job Mr. Know it All.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#11]
This is the most dangerous part of what Carter said:

"But if we give them training, we give them equipment, and give them support, and give them some time, I hope they will develop the will to fight, because only if they fight can ISIL remain defeated."
View Quote

A defeated army isn't usually still taking and holding territory.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

"But if we give them training, we give them equipment, and give them support, and give them some time, I hope they will develop the will to fight, because only if they fight can ISIL remain defeated."

We've gave them ALL of those things the one thing we can't give them are compitent leaders.

What more does he want?  A division of Marines dressed in their uniforms fighting for them?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How do you know it will fail? It might, it might not. ISIS has controlled the city for exactly 6 days, hardly enough time to establish supremacy, eliminate all malcontents, shore up support, consolidate their own forces, ally with local Sunni tribes and form them into a cohesive force, and then plan a defense of the city. Swift counter attacks work for a reason. Iraqis are throwing everything and the kitchen sink at retaking Ramadi. As much as you seem to want to admit defeat, they aren't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The IA is completely incompetent. Tell you what bet ya P-Mag it fails.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No shit Sherlock. Where has this bozo been? Oh, that's right....he's had his nose up oblamo's ass for years and now he figured it out. Great job Mr. Know it All.
View Quote

You do realize the comments he made probably came word for word out of Valerie Jarrett's mouth, right? By making these statements the US govt just officially shifted the blame on ISIS's success away from lack of US support directly to Iraqi incompetence. Now we can hold up our heads proudly and say that it didn't matter that we pulled our of Iraq early because the Iraqis don't have the will to fight even when trained and equipped by us. Its a way of shedding responsibility. Congrats on falling for it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The IA is less than half of the counterattacking force, the other part is about 20,000 Shi'a milita with pretty good morale. Who are better at taking ground  than holding it. So sure, I'll take the bet, could always use a free pmag.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#17]
So...if I may...who cares at this point?  I mean really...why do we care?

Their country...theirs heads getting chopped off...their women getting raped...their cities getting destroyed.  Why do we care?  If they don't...why should we?  Seriously?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
What the Sunnis and Shiites fight each other over is almost pathetic,it'd be like a Protestant killing a Catholic.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They failed at fighting us because we dropped bombs on their ass. They didn't stand a chance. We killed the majority of their warriors. The rest are just limp wristed pansy asses. It's like killing all the Conservatives here in America and giving the Army over to liberals. This country would be done for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did Saddam do to make his Republican Guard so loyal? Weren't they fanatical badasses until we killed them? While the failed at fighting us, against ISIS soldiers like that would seem to work well. I wonder how Saddam trained them?

They failed at fighting us because we dropped bombs on their ass. They didn't stand a chance. We killed the majority of their warriors. The rest are just limp wristed pansy asses. It's like killing all the Conservatives here in America and giving the Army over to liberals. This country would be done for.

Best statement Ive read in awhile....
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Their country...theirs heads getting chopped off...their women getting raped...their cities getting destroyed.  Why do we care?  If they don't...why should we?  Seriously?
View Quote

Discounting the major geographical, economic, and resource reasons to be interested in the Middle East and Iraq, some of us actually deployed their, shed blood, lost brothers, made friends with some locals. We did this for years. So on top of the strategic significance, we have personal reasons. And not everyone is a defeatist willing to toss in the towel at the first signs of resistance. How can be claim to be professional soldiers, warriors, and then want to run from a fight. Especially one we as a nation already ran from once. This fucked up shit in Iraq is directly related to 1/2 of this nation being a bunch of impatient pussies. Now you are trying to convince the other half to go that route too?

You're the dude that loves the SEALs. Did you join the Teams and deploy to Iraq?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did Saddam do to make his Republican Guard so loyal? Weren't they fanatical badasses until we killed them? While the failed at fighting us, against ISIS soldiers like that would seem to work well. I wonder how Saddam trained them?

List by name of Iraq Coalition Casualties: Military Fatalities

For a bunch of limp wristed pansy asses we sure lost a bunch of people to them. Why did we need to bribe the Shia and Sunni to stop fighting us? Because we killed their best warriors? Seriously, some of you need to read more about this subject, post less.

The Gamble: General David Petraeus and the American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2006-2008
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember reading the story here about the 50 marines who were ambushed by 150 Iraq guard. They had 50 dead and we had 1 wounded.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Well this thread isn't that usual "I didn't get a harumph outta that guy" bullshit.  

Good stuff.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because they will attack the USA sooner or later. When the Taliban had control of Afghanistan that gave AQ and UBL a safe haven from which to launch the 9/11 attacks that severely damage the USA.

If and when ISIS consolidates their Caliphate they will attempt to strike at mainland USA in a significant manner.

Long term the only real solution is sustained US military occupation.

In 2007 it took 165,000 troops to quell the Iraqis civil war and the current admin squandered those gains by leaving.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can.  The Romans did it in Carthage.  

In fact, ISIS is pretty much using that technique as we speak.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As usual, Ron is succinctly correct.

We can't fix culture.

True....but we can't as our people are weak willed when it comes to reality outside Starbucks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#26]
It's real easy to talk shit when they had no air support, indirect fire, or intel to keep the enemy at bay. Fucking 0bama administration.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It sucks but its true.

I just wish they had taken a different city like Falluja Sadr City Habbaniya Tehran?

Also I'm wondering why a PMC hasn't tried talking to the Saudi's about financy a private war on ISIS in Iraq?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sucks but its true.

I just wish they had taken a different city like Falluja Sadr City Habbaniya Tehran?

Also I'm wondering why a PMC hasn't tried talking to the Saudi's about financy a private war on ISIS in Iraq?

Is Executive Outcomes still in business?  They did good work with a similar situation in Africa.

As far as that fucking joke they call the "Iraqi Army", here's my shocked face:

I'm all for providing some equipment and ammo to the Kurds because they show the will to fight, but I won't forget the lessons learned from Afghanistan in the 80s.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Every senior military leader who jumped on board with the 'nation-building', COIN bullshit the politicians were selling should be forced to go to the family of a dead service member and apoligize.
The greatest nation on earth threw thousands of its citizens and trillions of its dollars at a smelly shithole, populated by people who meet none of the standards required to be considered human beings- and somehow could not maintain a military victory.
Now some of them (John McCain) want to go do it again.

Secure our border and remove the savages who have managed to get to our shores. The Middle East will cease to be a problem if we take appropriate measures to keep Muslim terrorists from coming into contact with average Americans.
View Quote

Do you forget that Americans are all over the world. You want to close off the U.S. and tell people vacation abroad at your own risk. That makes us nothing but prisoners.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't think many really understand the situation in Iraq.

Let's say there was an American company guarding a major installation against insurgents. Early on in the war, the Iraqi insurgents could barely conduct a proper attack without losing significant lives, mostly with small arms attacks, RPGs, some 107mm rockets, sporadic and inaccurate mortars, very poorly coordinated assaults, poor command and control. And even then, the Americans would have to rely on air support to usually stop the enemy's attack. In comparison, the Iraqi Army does not have this luxury. They don't have air support either from assault helicopters or fixed wing, unless the Americans decide to help. They have no real way of being supported in the best of times.  

Now let's look at the realities of fighting ISIS. These aren't the JV team. Yeah, they mostly don't aim their rifles either, fight in man dresses, and act unprofessional. But they are planning and coordinating their attacks. They are using sand tables to plan. They are conducting rehearsals. Their leaders are communicating with each other by ICOM radios the whole time. They are using good tactics, like leading attacks with multiple, upwards of five massive suicide VBIEDs, using vehicles that are armored against small arms fire and RPGs. They drive into the base, blow the entry control point, multiple times, create a breach, and then exploit it with company or even battalion strength dismounted attacks, who are planned to go for specific parts of the base (based on intelligence gathered).

To defend this, the IA has questionable performing conventional forces, often led by corrupt officers and their ranks filled with "ghost soldiers," and there are some higher tier units like SWAT and Iraqi SF that are more willing and capable to fight. But without support, these units will not be able to hold for long. They aren't receiving air support from themselves (other than some small planes firing hellfires they have no real Iraqi air support) and other conventional forces from other towns that can possibly come to support them are tied down themselves by local attacks specifically designed to prevent reinforcements.

In Ramadi, these types of attacks happened throughout October, November, December, and then started again in March before they finally broke and abandoned the city center to ISIS. And yet right now, they are attempting to rally and counterattack. So I wouldn't discount the Iraqis as quickly as many want. To be honest, in Iraq and Afghanistan there have been a bunch of close calls where concerted attacks were only defeated thanks to air support or accurate and massed arty. How well would we have done without those things? I'm 100% sure we would have lost entire bases, with near 100% casualties, with only those playing dead or running away being the survivors. It happened before in American history and to all other countries. Americans don't have a monopoly on heroism, we are only as good as we ensure ourselves to be.

This whole thing is becoming politicized. I find it kind of sad that some will use the words of a democratic hack like SecDef Carter to try to make sense out of what happened. Right now everyone is trying to play the blame game. The Iraqis are doing it, their Kurdish Sunni PM might have to step down over this. Many are stating over there that the Americans specifically pressured the Iraqi govt not to use Shi'a Militia to help support Ramadi before it fell. And now in Washington, you have the US Sec. of Defense saying that the Iraqis lack the will to fight, even though they have been well trained and equipped by the US. I'm calling bullshit on that. Its a simplification designed to divert the responsibility America has in that country.
View Quote

I agree with most of what you said with one exception: Carter isn't a political hack.  Hagel was a political hack.  Ash Carter is probably the most capable person in the whole administration.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Is Executive Outcomes still in business?  They did good work with a similar situation in Africa.

I'm all for providing some equipment and ammo to the Kurds because they show the will to fight, but I won't forget the lessons learned from Afghanistan in the 80s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sucks but its true.

The Boss lady stamped out my attempt to go volunteer with the Kurds because of financial reasons and she doesn't want me over in that shit hole again.

I'd be all for giving the Kurds arms and support, the IA squandered a lot of shit that we gave them, if they want more shit they should have to pay for it in cheap oil.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#31]
There are two types of Iraqi soldiers. 1) those that turn and run when the fighting starts 2) those that sit down, take their boots off, and turn and run.

They hide behind women and children, using them as shields. They knew we would not shoot at women and children and if they accidentally hit one they would blame it on us. They set IEDs and think that makes them manly. For the most part, they are cowards and will only fight an opponent that can't fight back or is overwhelmed.

I think if those ninja pajama wearers, ISIS are ever faced with fighting a real military, they will shed those black pjs and run. They will blend in with civilian population and wait for another opportunity.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

True....but we can't as our people are weak willed when it comes to reality outside Starbucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As usual, Ron is succinctly correct.

We can't fix culture.

Weak willed is a poor euphemism for genocide. You're going to say something about Hamburg and Dresden, but "willpower" is free when alternatives don't exist. Americans have no qualms about butchering bystanders and potentials and unknowns, pattern recognition strikes do it routinely. But ferrying a hundred extra bombs into a killbox so you can turn off the guidance in hope of whacking some extra kids isn't gonna happen while mocha frappes cost five bucks apiece.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's real easy to talk shit when they had no air support, indirect fire, or intel to keep the enemy at bay. Fucking 0bama administration.
View Quote

Basically. They had some air support in the form of US air strikes but those aren't done in conjunction with Iraqi units in the field, so they have no way of calling for CAS, as US air strikes are decided by Pentagon planners. To add, we have no SOF units attached to them to advise while fighting or to direct airstrikes. Had there been, Ramadi probably would not have fell. The Iraqis have their own artillery units but those are not capable of massed precision fires so would have been mostly useless in the close fighting in Ramadi. The IA intel isn't great, they probably do have a bunch of Sunni informants inside ISIS, but unfortunately they weren't highly placed enough to report of the massed attacks that occurred on May 17-18, nor the very capable use of VBIEDs to lead the attacks. Those highly innovative tactics probably were responsible more than anything else. The IA had nothing to stop them with at the time, so all their hardened positions were taken out in quick succession with no way of stopping them.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That attitude is so going to totally fuck them all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That attitude is so going to totally fuck them all.

Why? The Shia will just vote in another IRGC approved and appointed yes-man, and the circle of life will continue. Awesome Qassem isn't going to be a born again democrat anytime soon.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do you forget that Americans are all over the world. You want to close off the U.S. and tell people vacation abroad at your own risk. That makes us nothing but prisoners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every senior military leader who jumped on board with the 'nation-building', COIN bullshit the politicians were selling should be forced to go to the family of a dead service member and apoligize.
The greatest nation on earth threw thousands of its citizens and trillions of its dollars at a smelly shithole, populated by people who meet none of the standards required to be considered human beings- and somehow could not maintain a military victory.
Now some of them (John McCain) want to go do it again.

Secure our border and remove the savages who have managed to get to our shores. The Middle East will cease to be a problem if we take appropriate measures to keep Muslim terrorists from coming into contact with average Americans.

Play stupid ganmes, win stupid prizes.
The World is not a safe place.  The US could be.

If the US were made safer from terrorist attacks than any other place in the world, would being allowed to stay here make you a 'prisoner'?  There are plenty of other places you are free to go, but the protection provided by a competant government does not travel with you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#36]
And then an Iraqi official retorts by then blaming the US for not giving enough air assets and weapons. Fucking please. Those pussies still would have run.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Basically. They had some air support in the form of US air strikes but those aren't done in conjunction with Iraqi units in the field, so they have no way of calling for CAS, as US air strikes are decided by Pentagon planners. To add, we have no SOF units attached to them to advise while fighting or to direct airstrikes. Had there been, Ramadi probably would not have fell. The Iraqis have their own artillery units but those are not capable of massed precision fires so would have been mostly useless in the close fighting in Ramadi. The IA intel isn't great, they probably do have a bunch of Sunni informants inside ISIS, but unfortunately they weren't highly placed enough to report of the massed attacks that occurred on May 17-18, nor the very capable use of VBIEDs to lead the attacks. Those highly innovative tactics probably were responsible more than anything else. The IA had nothing to stop them with at the time, so all their hardened positions were taken out in quick succession with no way of stopping them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where can I subscribe to your news letter?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#38]
It's a bunch of idiots colliding with other bunches of idiots, and unfortunately there's a bunch of non-idiots stuck in the middle getting blown up, but overall it's thankfully no longer our problem, and it's best it stays that way.

25 years from now, we'll have stopped using oil/gasoline for most things, and that corner of the world will fade back into complete irrelevance as all the little tinpot dictators and kings see their taxes and power implode with the oil price. The worst is yet to come. This is just the early rumblings of a far off volcano. Time to gtfo and not look back.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which will just be the start of a wider war. The Kurds are Finlandizing to the Iranians as we speak, and more Sunnis will be asking their governments why they are standing idly by as Arabs are killed by Persians and their stooges.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I agree with most of what you said with one exception: Carter isn't a political hack.  Hagel was a political hack.  Ash Carter is probably the most capable person in the whole administration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think many really understand the situation in Iraq.

Let's say there was an American company guarding a major installation against insurgents. Early on in the war, the Iraqi insurgents could barely conduct a proper attack without losing significant lives, mostly with small arms attacks, RPGs, some 107mm rockets, sporadic and inaccurate mortars, very poorly coordinated assaults, poor command and control. And even then, the Americans would have to rely on air support to usually stop the enemy's attack. In comparison, the Iraqi Army does not have this luxury. They don't have air support either from assault helicopters or fixed wing, unless the Americans decide to help. They have no real way of being supported in the best of times.  

Now let's look at the realities of fighting ISIS. These aren't the JV team. Yeah, they mostly don't aim their rifles either, fight in man dresses, and act unprofessional. But they are planning and coordinating their attacks. They are using sand tables to plan. They are conducting rehearsals. Their leaders are communicating with each other by ICOM radios the whole time. They are using good tactics, like leading attacks with multiple, upwards of five massive suicide VBIEDs, using vehicles that are armored against small arms fire and RPGs. They drive into the base, blow the entry control point, multiple times, create a breach, and then exploit it with company or even battalion strength dismounted attacks, who are planned to go for specific parts of the base (based on intelligence gathered).

To defend this, the IA has questionable performing conventional forces, often led by corrupt officers and their ranks filled with "ghost soldiers," and there are some higher tier units like SWAT and Iraqi SF that are more willing and capable to fight. But without support, these units will not be able to hold for long. They aren't receiving air support from themselves (other than some small planes firing hellfires they have no real Iraqi air support) and other conventional forces from other towns that can possibly come to support them are tied down themselves by local attacks specifically designed to prevent reinforcements.

In Ramadi, these types of attacks happened throughout October, November, December, and then started again in March before they finally broke and abandoned the city center to ISIS. And yet right now, they are attempting to rally and counterattack. So I wouldn't discount the Iraqis as quickly as many want. To be honest, in Iraq and Afghanistan there have been a bunch of close calls where concerted attacks were only defeated thanks to air support or accurate and massed arty. How well would we have done without those things? I'm 100% sure we would have lost entire bases, with near 100% casualties, with only those playing dead or running away being the survivors. It happened before in American history and to all other countries. Americans don't have a monopoly on heroism, we are only as good as we ensure ourselves to be.

This whole thing is becoming politicized. I find it kind of sad that some will use the words of a democratic hack like SecDef Carter to try to make sense out of what happened. Right now everyone is trying to play the blame game. The Iraqis are doing it, their Kurdish Sunni PM might have to step down over this. Many are stating over there that the Americans specifically pressured the Iraqi govt not to use Shi'a Militia to help support Ramadi before it fell. And now in Washington, you have the US Sec. of Defense saying that the Iraqis lack the will to fight, even though they have been well trained and equipped by the US. I'm calling bullshit on that. Its a simplification designed to divert the responsibility America has in that country.

Okay, maybe he's not a total hack like Hagel was. But Carter is political. All his positions of influence were under Clinton and then under Obama. I think we can all safely say is that at this point in his administration Obama doesn't appoint anyone to cabinet positions unless he controls them. Carter is an Obama-man. And what he said about Ramadi and the Iraqi Army was a political response to divert blame away from the US for abandoning the Iraqis.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You do realize the comments he made probably came word for word out of Valerie Jarrett's mouth, right? By making these statements the US govt just officially shifted the blame on ISIS's success away from lack of US support directly to Iraqi incompetence. Now we can hold up our heads proudly and say that it didn't matter that we pulled our of Iraq early because the Iraqis don't have the will to fight even when trained and equipped by us. Its a way of shedding responsibility. Congrats on falling for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In everyone's defense, that is exactly what the Army did in 1975 with the Vietnamese, and everyone believes that, too.

The events that are transpiring were a foregone conclusion once Sistani knew we were sailing away.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The Boss lady stamped out my attempt to go volunteer with the Kurds because of financial reasons and she doesn't want me over in that shit hole again.

I'd be all for giving the Kurds arms and support, the IA squandered a lot of shit that we gave them, if they want more shit they should have to pay for it in cheap oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sucks but its true.

I'm not .mil, but I haven't been as pissed as I was when the videos of IA guys abandoning gear and running away from a bunch of fucking cavemen in man dresses with AKs.  Now those assclowns are riding in and are equipped with shit I paid for.  If ISIS showed up on the outskirts of my state I'd fight until I was out of ammo and wouldn't be taken alive since their prisoner treatment is well known.  Difference between us and them I guess.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
There are two types of Iraqi soldiers. 1) those that turn and run when the fighting starts 2) those that sit down, take their boots off, and turn and run.

They hide behind women and children, using them as shields. They knew we would not shoot at women and children and if they accidentally hit one they would blame it on us. They set IEDs and think that makes them manly. For the most part, they are cowards and will only fight an opponent that can't fight back or is overwhelmed.

I think if those ninja pajama wearers, ISIS are ever faced with fighting a real military, they will shed those black pjs and run. They will blend in with civilian population and wait for another opportunity.
View Quote

Did you forget that all those ninja pajama wears in ISIS did face off against the US military and that they did pretty well and were only defeated because we destroyed their alliance system, not because we beat them militarily? When they were still called Al Qaeda in Iraq they controlled entire cities, like in Fallujah and Baqubah and other places, and AQI was as open as ISIS is now, until the coalition launched major attacks to retake the cities (like what the Iraqi Govt did to Tikrit and is currently doing to Bayji and Ramadi). But the Iraqi Army doesn't have the resources the US military had, so its going to be slower and less efficient.

Be careful when you are pounding your chest that you don't hurt yourself.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Okay, maybe he's not a total hack like Hagel was. But Carter is political. All his positions of influence were under Clinton and then under Obama. I think we can all safely say is that at this point in his administration Obama doesn't appoint anyone to cabinet positions unless he controls them. Carter is an Obama-man. And what he said about Ramadi and the Iraqi Army was a political response to divert blame away from the US for abandoning the Iraqis.
View Quote

And now we circle back to the 800 pound elephant of how we can have an effective foreign policy if half of the political establishment and all of the media won't call the President or his party out on 40 years of abandonment and failure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
[
Did you forget that all those ninja pajama wears in ISIS did face off against the US military and that they did pretty well and were only defeated because we destroyed their alliance system, not because we beat them militarily?
View Quote

This brings up a considerable point...

The critical capability that the US brought to the table was trust backed by our combat power.

The Iraqi government doesn't have trust with itself, let alone the Sunni populations, and has combat power as long as the Iranians back their play.

As long as ISIS has a safe rear area in Syria, I don't see how recapturing these cities will materially weaken ISIS' capability.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
 Unfortunately, ISIS represents a threat we can not disengage from.
View Quote

Nope. We sure can. We've given Irag every chance and at least what a trillion?

If they won't raise a finger to save themselves why should we obviously ISIS must be what they want.  
Wash our hand and come home. We are done there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Can't blame them:  If the Americans don't have the will to fight ISIS, what chance do they have?
View Quote

laughable. They have million of weapons and training right there. Iraqi man being cowards is not new.  The best thing Arab men are good at is making excuses.

time for tough love. Sink or swim on your own Iraq.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If they won't raise a finger to save themselves why should we obviously ISIS must be what they want.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Unfortunately, ISIS represents a threat we can not disengage from.

So when they get their islamic state and they start coordinating attacks on the US what will you do then?

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
And then an Iraqi official retorts by then blaming the US for not giving enough air assets and weapons. Fucking please. Those pussies still would have run.
View Quote

Its politics. A city as important as Ramadi falls to ISIS, there is going to be some significant finger pointing. In the Iraqi govt you have the sides that want Shia to continue running the govt the way they have for years, alienating the Sunni. If the Sunni don't like it, fuck them, besides they can get Iran's help. Then there are the people, like the current PM, that are trying to reconcile the nation, get the different ethnic groups working together for a common goal, the removal of a vicious and poorly governing Salafist terror group. Those two groups (among many many other interest groups) are arguing and both blaming each other for what happened. Then there is the Americans, who don't want to play, only willing to advise and train forces from the safety of major FOBs, and to drop bombs but not provide CAS, who are also pressuring the Iraqi govt not to side with the Iranians or their backed militias, but not really doing anything to make up for those units. If the US tells Iraq "Don't use those 100,000 Shia militiamen" I feel like its kind of fucked up if we don't provide an alternative, like embedding SOF units with them to at least direct air strikes and assist with direct operations. Hell, most SOF would LOVE to do this. They are already doing it with the Kurds, but because our govt is beefing with the Iranians, we are unwilling to directly assist the Iraqi govt, even though we are telling them Iran shouldn't be assisting them.

Well led and supported, the Iraqis will hold. They held in Ramadi after six months of near constant attacks, only finally breaking because they were simply overwhelmed with no recourse to hold. They don't utilize the equipment they have properly because they aren't trained on it. Its not like we sent Iraqi Army officers to armor school or taught them combined armor/infantry operations. We taught them how to run patrols, checkpoints, and simple raids. We never even bothered attempting to train the Iraqis in the complex full spectrum BN an BDE level operations that are necessary to be done now. ISIS has been doing them for years, polishing their techniques in Syria. Meanwhile, the Iraqi Army approach to COIN was to saturate areas with checkpoints and to basically act like heavily armed security guards. They were not prepared to withstand the kind of warfare that ISIS is conducting. Either they will need given time to have their forces reorganized to be better led and trained, or their line units will need to be augmented by US SOF personnel to call in airstrikes and assist with combat operations, or they will need to be augmented by Iranian led and organized militia in the tens of thousands who are thirsting for Sunni blood. One of those needs to happen and will happen.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Huge swathes of Iraq think ISIS is the less dangerous of two alternatives.  Iraq is disintegrating with or without them.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top