Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/24/2015 8:35:15 AM EDT
It's easy to see how Nazis could wander around France virtually unopposed. The French can't even control their pick-pockets.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/05/22/eiffel-tower-closed-workers-are-angry-about-rising-problems-with-aggressive/?intcmp=HPBucket
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Roma.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, can't imagine who might be doing that.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Roma.  
View Quote

This X 1000. I was there last month and the tourist spots are crawling with Romas (Gypsies) trying to scam you.  We never had any issues with pickpockets but saw tourists from Asia getting swarmed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Geez... I'm taking the SO to Paris in a couple weeks.  

What round for pickpockets and gypsies you ask?  Well, since it's France, I guess attitude and awareness will have to suffice.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#6]
(1) Tourist sees sign warning of pickpockets

(2) Tourist checks where they hid their money and valuables, to make sure they're secure

(3) Pickpocket, who put up the warning sign, knows where to find valuables

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#7]
When I was in Paris in October 14' I had absolutely no issues with pickpockets, gypsies, etc...The only minor annoyance I had were the Somali's or whatever the hell they were "selling" those trinkets by the Eiffel Tower. Simply told them to step off and they did. If you keep your distance from people and watch your surroundings, you will have no issues.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Roma.  
View Quote

They add almost nothing but crime to a society.  Parents pimp out their teenage daughters.  It's sickening.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I got "swarmed" on the crowded Athens metro in 1999. They got $7,600. It was Albanians, not Roma. These guiys were so skilled, I hardly realized what was happening until it was too late. Never let your guard down, and always keep a personal distance. Don't go to places where you can't maintain this distance. These were hard lessons learned, for me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Why the fuck would anybody go to France?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I blame mimes.

Any thing bad in France, it is the damn mimes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in France now.

It's nice.

Fuck the Roma. ( not seen any or been robbed)
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's easy to see how Nazis could wander around France virtually unopposed. The French can't even control their pick-pockets.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/05/22/eiffel-tower-closed-workers-are-angry-about-rising-problems-with-aggressive/?intcmp=HPBucket
View Quote

The same stuff is going on in Germany too. It's going on all over Europe.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Dunno why the French get a bad rap.  They are out oldest allies and helped this place get up and running.  They spent more people than we have in both the world wars; heck, in WW1, alone they lost more people than the US has in all of time.

They also do a hell of a lot better job at World Police than we do.

We need to pack the whole "France Sucks (and I've never been out of the US)" crowd onto a jet so they can at least know what the fuck their talking about.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Fanny pack FTW.

or Skinny Jeans?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm in France now.

It's nice.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in France now.

It's nice.

Well, for you isn't it like a two hour trip? I might go then.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#18]
4 hours then 30 minutes on the Chunnel :) driving from oop North

But the other half is doing her 5 hour stint driving and I'm surfing from the passenger seat. Driven from southern Spain.

I love the internets
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What round for pickpockets and gypsies you ask?  Well, since it's France, I guess attitude and awareness will have to suffice.
View Quote

If you avoid bathing and tell yer woman not to shave her armpits, they won't be able to distinguish you from the locals
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Roma.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This X 1000. I was there last month and the tourist spots are crawling with Romas (Gypsies) trying to scam you.  We never had any issues with pickpockets but saw tourists from Asia getting swarmed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Roma.  

In Europe I have never heard them as Romas, did not even hear the term until a year ago.
But you can spot Gypsies like a sore thumb, the clothing they wear in Europe along with the ones that play the violin but sound horrible. When I was in Poland one guy paid (some pocket change) a violin playing Gypsy to stop playing and go away.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Many of the pickpockets when I was there recently were Africans of every stripe.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Was in Paris a month ago... Got swarmed by gypsies right when I got outta the train station   You gotta just pay attention to your surroundings n you won't get robbed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Single people are less likely targeted by pickpockets.  Now families with small children are ripe targets.  The parents who are victimized are often distracted by their own children.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#26]
The Gypsies (Roma) live by their own code, and don't consider themselves part of any European society (even though they've been there for a thousand years). Although some countries have tried, they haven't had any luck getting them to assimilate.

I personally don't feel threatened by Roma, since they're so easy to spot. You simply keep your distance from them, and don't buy into their many scams. I do feel threatened by Albanian and other Eastern European mafias. Those are the most vicious criminals in Europe.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I do feel threatened by Albanian and other Eastern European mafias. Those are the most vicious criminals in Europe.

View Quote
Yeah, see Taken.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

(1) Tourist sees sign warning of pickpockets

(2) Tourist checks where they hid their money and valuables, to make sure they're secure

(3) Pickpocket, who put up the warning sign, knows where to find valuables  
View Quote

Kansas City Shuffle: "The con artist will attempt to misdirect the mark in a way that leaves him with the impression that he has figured out the game and has the knowledge necessary to outsmart the con artist, but by attempting to retaliate, the mark unwittingly performs an action that helps the con artist to further the scheme."

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Single people are less likely targeted by pickpockets. Now families with small children are ripe targets. The parents who are victimized are often distracted by their own children.
View Quote

This is very true. When traveling in a group, you're only as strong as the weakest link in the group. I've had requests to act as a "tour guide" for elderly friends. The last thing I want to do is babysit for people who don't know where they are and are unable to fend for themselves. I feel much safer when I'm by myself, since I can concentrate on "situational awareness." When I was "swarmed," it was partly due to being distracted by my own family, who were with me. You can also move much faster when you're by yourself. It's a big myth that there's "strength in numbers."
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I blame mimes.
View Quote

This is the only answer, creepy striped fuckers
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They add almost nothing but crime to a society.  Parents pimp out their teenage daughters.  It's sickening.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Roma.  

Sooooo, where is this at?

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#32]
That would be a great bait operation.

Undercover LEO follows what looks like a typical American tourist distracted on his cell phone.

As soon as scumbag yanks the wallet, tase the fuck out of him.

After word gets around 50 pickpockets got tased and arrested on felony charges, they might think twice.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Dunno why the French get a bad rap.  They are out oldest allies and helped this place get up and running.  They spent more people than we have in both the world wars; heck, in WW1, alone they lost more people than the US has in all of time.

We need to pack the whole "France Sucks (and I've never been out of the US)" crowd onto a jet so they can at least know what the fuck their talking about.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, their help was indispensable in the Revolutionary War. Without the French we'd all be speaking English right now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:...When I was in Poland one guy paid (some pocket change) a violin playing Gypsy to stop playing and go away.
View Quote

...don't know where some folks get the idea that they play well for cash.  They do play well, but only when they're alone or among each other.

I had a soldier who was a disowned roma, he old me about how he'd rob tourists.  His older cousins would wrap up tourists with sheets of cardboard and him and the smaller kids would strip valuables.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I might add that a lot of the pickpocket activity is not random. Members of the pickpocket gang will stake out banks and ATM's, making note of people who withdraw sums of money. They then pass the information on to other members of the gang (by cell phone), and then those members follow the victims until they reach an opportune spot for the attack (jam-packed public transportation, for example). I'm pretty sure that that's precisely what happened to me. In my case, they had tremendous patience and perseverance, because I covered half of Athens (on foot) between my visit to the bank and the point at which I was attacked. (And, just to be clear, it's not an obvious attack. It's a very skillful and subtle thing. These are professionals. In a way, I respect them for that.)
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Undercover LEO follows what looks like a typical American tourist distracted on his cell phone.
View Quote

Except that in some countries, the police are in on the deal. The pickpockets pay them a percentage to look the other way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I blame mimes.
View Quote

There's been a worldwide epidemic of robbers disguising themselves in clown outfits. Seriously. When I see a clown on the street, it frightens me. I get as far away from him as I can.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't foresee any European travel in my near future.  If I did, I'd carry a dummy wallet with capsaicin-coated razor blades inside, and keep my real wallet in a zipped or buttoned pocket inside my jacket.  

This is also a good excuse to buy some 5.11 pants with zippered pockets.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Not sure why the police don't keep harassing them, making them go elsewhere.

In a lot of cities across the US, police constantly run away homeless as panhandling is against the law.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#40]
If I did, I'd carry a dummy wallet with capsaicin-coated razor blades inside, and keep my real wallet in a zipped or buttoned pocket inside my jacket.
View Quote

No good. I had my money in zippered jacket pockets when I was robbed. In fact, that contributed to the incident because I had a false sense of confidence.

You need to carry your money, passport, etc., in a security pouch under all your clothes. Don't carry a wallet at all. Carry only enough money for your immediate daily needs (and a credit card or two) loose in your front pockets.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a joke, dammit!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not here!

Economically, Liechtenstein has the highest gross domestic product per person in the world when adjusted by purchasing power parity. It is also the 2nd richest (by measure of GDP per capita) country in the world, after Qatar, and has one of the lowest unemployment rates at 1.5%.

No riffraff allowed.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I've never had a problem with pickpockets, street thugs trying to roll me for my wallet, yes, but pickpockets, no.

Street thug problem was solved by the addition of one or two ice axes to my pack.  It's common to see ices axes on packs in France, even in July - no one thinks twice about it. - except thugs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

In a lot of cities across the US, police constantly run away homeless as panhandling is against the law.
View Quote

Where else are they going to go? The EU makes the French take the Roma in.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#45]
We were there a few years back on our honeymoon. Right when we got off the train from the UK into Paris, a (smoking hot) girl stopped us outside of the train station and pulled the "deaf charity" stunt, talking in a retarded voice and handing us a little leaflet for her "charity" in multiple languages. Same shit got tried with me the last time I was in Paris a few years prior, I told my wife it was BS and to walk away, the girl looked visibly pissed. We stopped to get lunch at a small cafe in the same general area, and not more than a half hour later we saw the girl smoking and casually talking with an eastern European guy and a couple other girls. As we left the cafe my wife waved to her and flipped her off

The goal is to get you to pull out your wallet for the charity.. When that happens someone (probably that guy) comes out of the shadows and bye bye wallet. If they were still hanging out there, the scam was going pretty poorly, because they won't stick around.

edit:  I had more fun the first time around when I was in Amsterdam and needed to buy a light jacket, so I just went into a department store and bought the first windbreaker-looking jacket I could find. Turned out to be a sort of lookalike copy of a French police man's jacket. A week later I went to France and I was wearing it around Lille (shitty high crime area) and constantly had packs of teenage thugs fleeing when I would walk into their area. Didn't realize what was going on until I saw a couple other cops on foot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jail for stealing... Maybe we can help Europe by sending some of our thug criminals over to beat up on them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll take "Because France is Awesome" for $100, Alex.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I might add that a lot of the pickpocket activity is not random. Members of the pickpocket gang will stake out banks and ATM's, making note of people who withdraw sums of money. They then pass the information on to other members of the gang (by cell phone), and then those members follow the victims until they reach an opportune spot for the attack (jam-packed public transportation, for example). I'm pretty sure that that's precisely what happened to me. In my case, they had tremendous patience and perseverance, because I covered half of Athens (on foot) between my visit to the bank and the point at which I was attacked. (And, just to be clear, it's not an obvious attack. It's a very skillful and subtle thing. These are professionals. In a way, I respect them for that.)
View Quote

I'd actually really like to hear the details of how they ran their game on you, if you don't mind.

Some day I'll probably betray my principles and go to Europe for a vacation, and I've been warned about the Roma by friends who have been there. Sounds like you were plenty vigilant, and they still got you.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Except that in some countries, the police are in on the deal. The pickpockets pay them a percentage to look the other way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In Socialist Detroit, police officer rob you. True story, when I was 19 I got pulled over in Detroit. Cop was an old white guy, probably close to 60 years old. Takes my wallet from me as I'm getting my license out, grabs the $90 I had in there, hands my empty wallet back to me and says "You need to keep your ass in the suburbs where you belong, now get outta here."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top