Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2015 3:38:00 AM EDT
So Gov. Dayton just signed suppressors into law in Minnesota and it will take effect on Aug. 1st.

I'm assuming you'll need a $200 NFA (is that correct?) stamp and that's basically it?

1.  What's the process to get a NFA stamp?

2. What's the process in getting a suppressor?  (Someone said you need to order the suppressor and then you apply for the NFA stamp)

3. How long does it take to be approved?

4. Does one NFA stamp allow you to get as many suppressors as you want?

5. Can you apply for the NFA stamp for the suppressor prior to the law taking effect on Aug 1st?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:42:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Do your research, as this is an investment. Form a trust if possible, as this simplifies some things.
Buy your suppressor from a Class 3 dealer.
Fill out Form 4, submit with $200 to the ATF.
Wait 6-12 months.
Receive stamp, retrieve suppressor.
One stamp PER NFA ITEM. Every suppressor, SBS, SBR, etc, is its own stamp.

Since you can't submit Form 4 without a serial number, it'd be tough to be ahead of August 1. And there may not be dealers with inventory for a while... since last I knew, Form 3 (dealer-to-dealer transfers) were running 8-12 weeks.

ETA:
Read up in General Class 3, Class 3 Legal, and Suppressors.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do your research, as this is an investment. Form a trust if possible, as this simplifies some things.
View Quote

Cannot emphasize the bolded part enough.  Even when you think you have settled on a suppressor you want, wait and do more research...

As far as a trust goes, my dealer is telling me 4-6 months on a trust from submission to approval.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Cannot emphasize the bolded part enough.  Even when you think you have settled on a suppressor you want, wait and do more research...

As far as a trust goes, my dealer is telling me 4-6 months on a trust from submission to approval.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you set up a trust?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.silencershop.com/services/nfa-gun-trust.html

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lawyer so it's done properly (though people have done it themselves).  

Wait times going the paper route are < 4 months.  There is no eFile yet for Form 4's the form that you use to transfer a suppressor from a dealer to you.

As mentioned, check out the suppressor forum.  Lots of awesome information.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Start here, get a Trust, win
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google, my friend, google. There are a few options and LOTS of resources online. Look through the Class 3 forums on here. You can set one up yourself (which I wouldn't do unless you're well-versed in law). A few places set up a trust for around $99 (even some place in in MN I believe). I went with guntrustlawyer.com and paid $600 for mine. As mentioned in previous posts, research is very important. With this kind of thing I wasn't ready to go the cheap route, and with 5 stamps so far in about 18 months without a hitch, I'm happy. If you have a gun-friendly LEO, maybe a basic sign-off is best for you unless you are looking at several items over time. Take your time and look stuff up and see what'll work best for you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gear Hog $59 NFA Trust from 199Trust

Where I got my trust from.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#11]
N
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Buy your suppressor from a Class 3 dealer.
Fill out Form 4, submit with $200 to the ATF.
Wait 6-12 months.
Receive stamp, retrieve suppressor.
One stamp PER NFA ITEM. Every suppressor, SBS, SBR, etc, is its own stamp.

Since you can't submit Form 4 without a serial number, it'd be tough to be ahead of August 1. And there may not be dealers with inventory for a while... since last I knew, Form 3 (dealer-to-dealer transfers) were running 8-12 weeks.

ETA:
Read up in General Class 3, Class 3 Legal, and Suppressors.

Why is it an investment?

Thanks for the info bill check those forums.

How many shots can you fire before you was out a suppressor?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats MN! Bout damn time!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.silencershop.com/services/nfa-gun-trust.html

This is what I did. Quick, cheap and easy. Pay, email arrives with a link, answer some simple questions and about 15 minutes later, your filled out Trust will show up in your email along with copies of amendment forms if you need.

Print, go to your bank and have notarized and sign it, then just handed it back to them and asked them to scan it back in and email it to me. That way I had a signed, notarized copy on my computer for e-filing form 1's and eventually for 4's.

ETA: The reason I went with SilencerShop was for the service after the fact if I needed it. I can contact them and ask questions and I have a hard time believing anyone has dealt with more firearm related trusts than they have.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Google, my friend, google. There are a few options and LOTS of resources online. Look through the Class 3 forums on here. You can set one up yourself (which I wouldn't do unless you're well-versed in law). A few places set up a trust for around $99 (even some place in in MN I believe). I went with guntrustlawyer.com and paid $600 for mine. As mentioned in previous posts, research is very important. With this kind of thing I wasn't ready to go the cheap route, and with 5 stamps so far in about 18 months without a hitch, I'm happy. If you have a gun-friendly LEO, maybe a basic sign-off is best for you unless you are looking at several items over time. Take your time and look stuff up and see what'll work best for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would a gun friendly LEO help?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By signing your Forms for non-Trust applications.

Seriously, read, bro.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why is it an investment?

Thanks for the info bill check those forums.

How many shots can you fire before you was out a suppressor?
View Quote

Because you're investing the cost of the stamp ($200), the cost of the suppressor ($400-1500+), and most of all you're investing a significant wait in the paperwork.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top