Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2015 2:02:43 PM EDT
Posting here simply because of the anmount of arf traffic. Someone has to know.

I have a Remington model 24 in .22 short. First rifle I ever shot and a personal treasure of mine. Problem being ,sometime before my father purchased it in the 70's the barrel had been sawed off and re dovetailed. I kept the rifle all these years but the older I get, the more Fucks I give. I don't want to sbr a 22 and want to find the original 20 inch barrel. I've tried numerich no success. Every now and again some parts will end up on eBay but usually in 22 Lr.

The model 24 was a Browning design and these rifles are still manufactured new. I have contacted both Remington and Browning with frustrating results. Rem sent me a list of custom barrel makers, (none of which panned out) and Browning just says contact Remington and told me a gunsmith has to install it or the headspace will be off lol. It's a takedown 22 short for crying out loud. I swear I'm going hear someone tell me I need to check headspace on my blackpowder pistol next. Yeesh

Anyway, The current 13 inch barrel is removed and in storage. Never to see the receiver again.

Any ideas on how to source this not rare, but old and obscure barrel? I'd love for this to be my daughter's first rifle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The 24 seperated. These were used a lot in the early 20th Century as shooting gallery rifles

It's Browning counterpart

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Soooo....after typing this long post I revisited the Remington website and clicked on the first link for model 24 parts. A place called almans in Minnesota. Had 2 in stock. $40 later I got my barrel on the way. Guess I should have tried a little harder last time I tried to source one. The guy did say it was a one in a million shot he'd have a 22 short. Happy day.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Glad it worked out.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, you need to go buy a lottery ticket! You got damn lucky.

Do you still have the stamped metal shell deflector that snaps on the front of the trigger guard and deflects as they come out the ejection port? I have seen one still on the rifle. Most lose them or they fall off.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds good!  I would have bought both of them.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope ,the deflector dissapeared before I was born. I would have bought both barrels but he said the rifling was pretty hosed on one of them. I refinished the reciecer and will blue the barrel to match. This I'll keep my old stocks though. Lotta memories there. Not worried about damaging the value of this rifle. I need to stock up on small parts before they dissapear altogether. Mainly firing pin. I must have dry fired that gun 3000 times as a kid.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad you found a barrel.

Just as an aside, would a Browning barrel work?

I think you might have been able to get away with a .22 LR barrel. It headspaces on the rim, so you wouldn't have to worry about the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad you found one.  I have a Rem 24 that belonged to my uncle.  Mine has a flip-up ladder rear sight.  My classmates called it a long range sniper sight.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool beans. Sounds like you lucked out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I tried asking both manufacturers is the Browning barrel would work and never got a clear answer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A place called almans in Minnesota.
View Quote

That place has a heck of a parts gun selection. I'm glad you found the correct part. Post pics when finished.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That place has a heck of a parts gun selection. I'm glad you found the correct part. Post pics when finished.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A place called almans in Minnesota.

Thousands of guns.  Pretty neat place to shoot at too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP, you need to go buy a lottery ticket! You got damn lucky.

Do you still have the stamped metal shell deflector that snaps on the front of the trigger guard and deflects as they come out the ejection port? I have seen one still on the rifle. Most lose them or they fall off.
View Quote

I have one of these! Its on a speedmaster in 22 short and i have only ever seen one other one with it still attached, how rare are they?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#14]
OST
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#15]
OP, wonder if you could buy that shot out barrel and have someone like Adco chop the end of it off and use it to "extend" your old barrel?

Kinda like a permanent flash suppressor install.  I'm sure it would be very expensive, but it might be worth the expense for a family heirloom.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Post pics when you get it done!

Quoted:
OP, wonder if you could buy that shot out barrel and have someone like Adco chop the end of it off and use it to "extend" your old barrel?

Kinda like a permanent flash suppressor install.  I'm sure it would be very expensive, but it might be worth the expense for a family heirloom.
View Quote

It would be cheaper and easier to reline the shot out barrel.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I would be more inclined to go a pro restore if these rifles had more value. As neat as they are , they are not and won't collectors items. I won't discard the original barrel in case I change my mind someday. The original blue was scrubbed off.....by me..when I was 16. I thought it would look cool shiny. Kids bleh
I was 5 when I shot this for the first time. Can't speculate how many rounds I shot at our old farm. My daughthers almost 4 and I can't wait.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#18]
So it arrived today , I'm so happy I have no words. My childhood rifle . I need to find a few missing bits in the takedown mechanism, and repair a few cracks in the stock. Transfer the sights and whatnot. A good day indeed.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#19]
You can glue that stock back together.  I did one that was worse and the previous owner attempted to glue it himself.  I had to scrape out the old blue before regluing it myself.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Self deleted.  Never mind.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice looking rifle!
It will be fun rifle for you and your daughter!
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You can glue that stock back together.  I did one that was worse and the previous owner attempted to glue it himself.  I had to scrape out the old blue before regluing it myself.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm going to inject some epoxy and Clamp it for a day or two. I've been searching for this for over a year now and it's finally happened. I'm a very happy man.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#23]
My baby, as soon as she can shoulder it, she can have it. I think I was around 8 when it was given to me.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#24]
You're giving it to a black cat?

I keeed.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You're giving it to a black cat?

I keeed.  
View Quote

As long as there are no follow up questions, yes. Yes I am
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Power of ARFCOM--merely posting a thread causes the answer/solution to fly out of the internet!  
View Quote

Very true. I posed the question, then couldn't be outdone. 5 days later, the dishes are done. Thanks arfcom.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Gratuitous pic of my baby and I, dads Porsche in the back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top