Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2015 10:06:27 PM EDT
How important is time vs mileage?  I have a vehicle that is driven less that 5,000 miles a year - driven daily but for very short distances.  The recommended oil change is 10,000 miles or 6 months.  If at six months it has only been driven say 2,000 miles is it good to go another six months, or is the passage of time important to oil?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#1]
3k or less for you, your usage would fall under harsh usage by the manufacture.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Every 4 months, because nasty things happen to vehicles like yours. Acid is one of them. I have one that is in a similar situation, and I run 100% synthetic in it and change it every 4 months. Its cheaper than an engine or a new vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Short trips don't warm up the engine enuff, so you get water and combustion products kicking around in your oil.

Short trips = tough working conditions which = replace your oil at the 6mo mark
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#4]
It is six miles to work and six miles to home.  I also drive 20 miles to and from the barber shop every three weeks.  That is right at 5000 a year.  I change it at one year or 5000 miles.  I use 5w20 SemiSynthetic oil.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Our driving habits are similar. About 5 miles one way to work, just enough to get it to operating temp. Once a week we take a longer ride to go shopping. Our truck is a 2003 with 65,000 miles and I had to replace the muffler last year. Other than that no repairs out of normal maintenance with yearly oil changes at about 6k miles with mobil one oil.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Years back when I worked for a dealer the consensus among the mechanics was every three months or 3 thousand miles, which ever came first.
But that was with conventional oil, with the new synthetic oils I go with the every 3 thousand miles and don't worry about time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I change my oil and both fuel filters once a year. I average 4-5k a year on my truck.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:09:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Short trips don't warm up the engine enuff, so you get water and combustion products kicking around in your oil.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:47:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Either way I'd run a good Synthetic Oil

Oh wait I already do
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:06:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Every 4 months, because nasty things happen to vehicles like yours. Acid is one of them. I have one that is in a similar situation, and I run 100% synthetic in it and change it every 4 months. Its cheaper than an engine or a new vehicle.
View Quote

It depends how long those trips are. If it just a few long trips your fine. A bunch of short ones you dont get the engine to full operating temp. Makes for more contaminates and condensation.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:07:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Mobile 1 with WIX filter for gassers

Rotella with WIX filter for diesels.

I do 10K miles for the gassers.

5K for the diesels.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:10:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Religious about three months for me. No matter what kind of oil in the crank case. Oil never sees more than 2,000 miles in my vehicle
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:48:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Religious about three months for me. No matter what kind of oil in the crank case. Oil never sees more than 2,000 miles in my vehicle
View Quote
Is your other past time setting $100 bills on fire to light your cuban cigars?

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:51:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious as well. Do you pay someone to dispose of your hookers or do you do the dirty work yourself?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:34:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Many modern vehicles are up to operating temps. within a couple miles.  My 2005 Silverado and 2011 Genesis Coupe are.  On the other hand my 1990 F150 took almost 15 miles to get up to operating temps.  Just a quick comparison.  

I run Mobile 1 and change oil and filters every 6,000 miles.  My Genesis owner's manual recommends regular oil and oil/filter changes every 7,500 miles.  I would not run regular oil that long/far, never have.  The only vehicles I have regular oil in are my 81 Z28 and 86 IROC.  Every 3,000 miles the oil/filter get changed.  Which means they haven't been changed in several years.  I check the dip stick on them and the oil is still light brown/green with no discoloration from water condensation.  My IROC has just over 186,000 miles on it but hasn't been driven more than a couple hundred miles in the last 4 years.

We tore down the 350 out of my 73 Laguna a few years back.  It had sat for 10 years without being started.  The lobes on the cam shaft, the bearing journals and the cylinder walls were as clean/shiny as when new.  I wish my son had taken pictures of it (we used the 4 bolt main bearing block to build a 327 for his Camaro).

I can't tell you what will work for you, I just know what has worked for me.  I will change the 4 year old oil in my IROC one of these days, and the 15 year old oil in my 81 Z28, just not today.  The Coupe is due for an oil change and it's a pain in the butt, so I'll probably only get it done, today.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Unless you are talking severe conditions, extreme cold, extreme hot, or hauling shit all of the time, I would change it every 10K and not worry about it.  Generally speaking, mileage and time limits imposed by auto and oil companies are very conservative and mostly designed to make them more money.  

I use the cheapest conventional oil I can find in my 1997 Blazer and change it every 5000 miles.  The truck is just shy of 305,000 miles on the original engine and transmission and it runs perfectly.  If I bothered to use synthetic, I would push the interval to 10,000.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I didnt read the replies, but I drive my truck less then 3000 miles a year. I change it twice a year no matter what. Its an older truck with high miles, I also use Lucas Oil Treatment each oil change. Going on 155k and still kicking ( 84 K5 )

If Im going on a trip that is atleast 2000 miles long, depending on last oil change, itll either get changed before or after the trip.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Or, you could spend 25 bucks to have an oil sample analyzed, and know for sure...
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#20]
If it is a seasonal vehicle change the oil once a year before it goes into storage. If you drive it year around with little miles I'd change it every 6 months.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#21]
A few guys over at BITOG have experimented with this question, the oil analysis results show that modern synthetic oil in a modern engine is fine for a long time short trips or not.
Google BITOG short trips long change interval for more info.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I would take it out for a good run on the highway now and again to get the condensation out of the oil and change it at recommended intervals. If you can't do that, then I would change it more often.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How important is time vs mileage?  I have a vehicle that is driven less that 5,000 miles a year - driven daily but for very short distances.  The recommended oil change is 10,000 miles or 6 months.  If at six months it has only been driven say 2,000 miles is it good to go another six months, or is the passage of time important to oil?
View Quote

If you use a quality synthetic blend oil you would be fine changing the oil once per year.  You may want to take the vehicle on a highway a couple times a month for ~30-40 miles to properly warm up the oil and burn off oil deposits.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very true.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#25]
When the DIC (digital info center) tells me to change the oil.  The computer takes all of the above into account to calculate the best time to change it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Unless you are talking severe conditions, extreme cold, extreme hot, or hauling shit all of the time, I would change it every 10K and not worry about it.  Generally speaking, mileage and time limits imposed by auto and oil companies are very conservative and mostly designed to make them more money.  

I use the cheapest conventional oil I can find in my 1997 Blazer and change it every 5000 miles.  The truck is just shy of 305,000 miles on the original engine and transmission and it runs perfectly.  If I bothered to use synthetic, I would push the interval to 10,000.

View Quote

By definition short trips are severe conditions at least in the owners manuals I have read.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Or, you could spend 25 bucks to have an oil sample analyzed, and know for sure...
View Quote

Oil tests make sense in things like big diesel trucks and equipment that takes a lot of oil and expensive filters. I have several things that take 5 gallons of oil and $20 or more filters. Most passenger cars you can change the oil for $25 if you do it yourself. I am not saying oil tests are a bad idea they can tell you a lot about a motor but in OP's case I would just change it twice a year using regular Dino oil.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

By definition short trips are severe conditions at least in the owners manuals I have read.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't care what the sales manual, I mean owner's manual states.  I purposely left that out of my definition of extreme conditions.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Short trip driving is hard on the car and the oil. The oil will get dirty quickly. Change it at 3000 miles, as haas been suggested. Your car will have a longer lifespan, if you do.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Many modern vehicles are up to operating temps. within a couple miles.  My 2005 Silverado and 2011 Genesis Coupe are.  On the other hand my 1990 F150 took almost 15 miles to get up to operating temps.  Just a quick comparison.  

I run Mobile 1 and change oil and filters every 6,000 miles.  My Genesis owner's manual recommends regular oil and oil/filter changes every 7,500 miles.  I would not run regular oil that long/far, never have.  The only vehicles I have regular oil in are my 81 Z28 and 86 IROC.  Every 3,000 miles the oil/filter get changed.  Which means they haven't been changed in several years.  I check the dip stick on them and the oil is still light brown/green with no discoloration from water condensation.  My IROC has just over 186,000 miles on it but hasn't been driven more than a couple hundred miles in the last 4 years.

We tore down the 350 out of my 73 Laguna a few years back.  It had sat for 10 years without being started.  The lobes on the cam shaft, the bearing journals and the cylinder walls were as clean/shiny as when new.  I wish my son had taken pictures of it (we used the 4 bolt main bearing block to build a 327 for his Camaro).

I can't tell you what will work for you, I just know what has worked for me.  I will change the 4 year old oil in my IROC one of these days, and the 15 year old oil in my 81 Z28, just not today.  The Coupe is due for an oil change and it's a pain in the butt, so I'll probably only get it done, today.
View Quote

I used to think that until I bought a car that comes with a oil temp gauge from the factory.
You would be shocked at how long it takes the oil to get to op temp vs. the coolant.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Short trip driving is hard on the car and the oil. The oil will get dirty quickly. Change it at 3000 miles, as haas been suggested. Your car will have a longer lifespan, if you do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes, 3k for short trip driving. time doesn't matter, no one takes two years to get to 3k.

don't know about synthetic...
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

yes, 3k for short trip driving. time doesn't matter, no one takes two years to get to 3k.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im trying to interpret your post. I can only speak from dino oil, all my vehicle have been older, so no need to do synthetics.

1) Time does matter with dino oil, it will break down over time, esp in a motor.

2) I barely put 1000 miles a year on my truck. So, yea there are plenty of ppl with vehicles that dont get driven much, to include show cars, etc that barely put miles on vehicles, infact show car insurance forbids them from putting a bunch of miles on a vehicle.

3) I believe short trips without fully warming up a car will kill it sooner then later.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#33]
bobistheoilguy.com check put the forums there
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:29:03 AM EDT
[#34]
We've pretty much covered motor oil.  How about automatic transmission fluid under the same conditions?  My 2012 Mazda 3 has less than 15k miles, mostly city driving at 8 miles one direction, auto tranny.  How often should I change that fluid?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:39:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Which car?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:41:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Oils break down over time. I would change every 6 months. No reason to over maintain. But I would not exceed manufactures specifications.

My truck has only accumulated 7k over the last year and 2500 of those miles was an emergency trip.  Oil will be changed at the year mark according to manufacturers specs.

Feel free to change it as often as you  want to. Oil analysis is the only way you will ever know if your oil is GTG.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:43:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

5K for the diesels.
View Quote

Rotella works great for classic flat tappet cams.

It has protection that modern oils don't provide for the old carbed engines.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:15:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
Change once a year

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:24:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

Which is what I do.  And it tells me that my 10K interval on Amsoil Signature is working just fine.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:43:07 AM EDT
[#40]
The paper in the oil filter gets soaked and guess what happens to wet paper over time?

Syn oil can last longer vs. reg. dino oil.  But, if anything.....I'd look at changing the filter at regular intervals.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5K for the diesels.

I know nothing about Rotella but how is it better? Ive got an old carb motor that im trying to keep going as long as I can. I usually run Valvoline or Castro high mileage oil with sum Lucas Oil treatment.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#42]
I change very 5,000 miles... and that falls in about ever 4-6 months.

I'd do it once a year if that's all it needed.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#43]
I change the oil in my truck every other year whether it needs it or not. It may even get synthetic next time.

I change the oil in my passat every 10k, which is almost 3 times a year.

I'm not sure how water gets into oil if it's a sealed system, maybe if you were to leave the cap off. And I don't get how oil can break down over time, does sitting on the shelf magically keep that from happening before it goes into your engine?

Rather than change the oil more often, give the car 30 seconds to warm up before you start moving, and attempt to get it up to operating temp before shutting down. This ensures that everything is staying lubricated which will prevent metal shavings in the first place. It will also help your exhaust system. Exhaust does collect moisture, and not getting it hot enough to evaporate it all out means it will sit there and cause the exhaust system to rust out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Our truck is a 2003 with 65,000 miles and I had to replace the muffler last year.
View Quote

Perfect example of the effect of short trips there.  The exhaust didn't get hot enough to boil off the water & it ate the muffler out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Mobile 1 Extended
45 miles each way to work
Change every 12,000
2013  Tacoma has 80k

Previous truck was 2008 Tacoma
Traded in at 200,000
Only changed spark plugs, tires and lights.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#46]
My F150 has the computer calculate mileage vs. type of driving and let's me know when it's time to change the oil.
I figure the manufacturers should know better than me what is required.
So far both oil changes came up on the dashboard close to 8k miles.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#47]
My wife has never worked more than 2 miles from home. I drive a work vehicle and before that, worked 1.5 miles from home.

Both vehicles see under 5k a year. I change them once they hit 5k no matter what.

Never had any problems with seals, never use any oil, never blew up an engine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I used to think that until I bought a car that comes with a oil temp gauge from the factory.
You would be shocked at how long it takes the oil to get to op temp vs. the coolant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This;
Water temp =/= oil temp.
A longer trip is needed to get the oil up to operating temp.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

Do you change the bolt out on your AR after you shoot 50 rounds?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I know nothing about Rotella but how is it better? Ive got an old carb motor that im trying to keep going as long as I can. I usually run Valvoline or Castro high mileage oil with sum Lucas Oil treatment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5K for the diesels.

It is because Rotella has a higher level of zinc and phosphorus compared to oil for gas engines.  Zinc and phosphorus will damage Cat convertors though.  That is one of the reasons companies market "racing" oil.  It contains a higher level of ZDDP.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top