User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh, I use it on duty. Keeps things sporty.
View Quote

Cop.... Not there... Lol. Cop..... Not there....

This is what went through my mind.  Unmarking the cop ahead icon as you sit.  ;)
Genius!  Just don't do that on my route please.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's what I use it for as well. I've heard that LE is trying to stop them from showing their locations. I guess it's screwing up their revenue generating speed traps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Waze is pretty shitty for navigation and picking the best route.

Waze is pretty awesome for letting you know what is up ahead on the road.

That's what I use it for as well. I've heard that LE is trying to stop them from showing their locations. I guess it's screwing up their revenue generating speed traps.

Actually, the community is acting to protect LE by regulating Waze. The fear is that some sicko could use it to ambush our men and women in uniform. Something will be done about that part of Waze in the future
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Waze "learns". If you run it while going places you already know how to get to, it will start suggesting the path to others going across the same major roads if it saves time compared to the "crow flies" routes it often starts with.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waze "learns". If you run it while going places you already know how to get to, it will start suggesting the path to others going across the same major roads if it saves time compared to the "crow flies" routes it often starts with.  

This.  It took some time for Waze to learn my area, but I drove with it running even when I didn't need it.  This helps the process move along.  It works perfectly for me, and I love the cops shown on the map.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:35:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do a TN "speed trap"   Park your car somewhere else and swap out your DD for the squad car.  People will see the empty car and assume its occupied and slow down.  win, win.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They mark my house, due to my take home car... I hate that aspect of it. other than that I have no problem w it.

Seems silly to mark an empty police car sitting in a driveway.

Tell that to the people who mark it 5 or 6 times a week. Every time I get near my house I get a warning there's a cop ahead... it's really ignorant. I'm going to just begin driving around marking everywhere for cops.

Doesn't seem like a big deal until you think about how all of you were complaining when NY published all of the gun owners addresses...

Do a TN "speed trap"   Park your car somewhere else and swap out your DD for the squad car.  People will see the empty car and assume its occupied and slow down.  win, win.

and walk home?... too lazy
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Actually, the community is acting to protect LE by regulating Waze. The fear is that some sicko could use it to ambush our men and women in uniform. Something will be done about that part of Waze in the future
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How. How are they doing this?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:47:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because we should all take drastic action on what might, possibly, maybe, probably wont, happen...
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Only use it to alert me to cops on my route. Absolutely love it for that!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:50:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm going to just begin driving around marking everywhere for cops.

View Quote

There have actually been a few departments that have done this just to subvert the system.  They have also done the same with the internet connected radar detectors.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:56:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You have no expectation of privacy when you're in public. Anyone can see you, citizen. Your cell carrier data about location is a business record, you have no expectation of privacy in it.

Wait, you want to put cops' locations on an app?!!?! OMFGWTFBBQ!!!11!! You can't do that! Officer safety! America! Apple pie!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've heard that LE is trying to stop them from showing their locations. I guess it's screwing up their revenue generating speed traps.

They tried a few months back but nothing happened.

You have no expectation of privacy when you're in public. Anyone can see you, citizen. Your cell carrier data about location is a business record, you have no expectation of privacy in it.

Wait, you want to put cops' locations on an app?!!?! OMFGWTFBBQ!!!11!! You can't do that! Officer safety! America! Apple pie!

Huh. Funny I don't give a flying fuck about Waze
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:57:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There have actually been a few departments that have done this just to subvert the system.  They have also done the same with the internet connected radar detectors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to just begin driving around marking everywhere for cops.

lol shocker
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

^ This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ This.

Agreed.  I use google maps on my iPhone but use waze for city/populated areas ...cops.
I normally go the route google maps says but pull up waze on long trips.  They really need to work on the routing features.  Put me driving thru the hood more than once.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:08:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Tell that to the people who mark it 5 or 6 times a week. Every time I get near my house I get a warning there's a cop ahead... it's really ignorant. I'm going to just begin driving around marking everywhere for cops.

Doesn't seem like a big deal until you think about how all of you were complaining when NY published all of the gun owners addresses...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They mark my house, due to my take home car... I hate that aspect of it. other than that I have no problem w it.

If you are this worried . . Don't take your car home or park in the garage
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because your "safety" trumps the constitution?  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Heh, I like it.  

I don't see any cop.  Just speed back on up.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#15]
If the police are moving . . . .

Anyway, even if they banned the reporting we would use another symbol
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:26:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Waze is pretty nice. As it's been said, it's a good way to get a feel for traffic. It passively collects data on where you are and how fast you're going, so that if you get stuck in a jam, it can warn other drivers. You can also report things like the Po Po, disabled vehicles, wrecks, objects in the road... shit like that.

If you're paranoid about someone (who?) tracking you (who the fuck are you and why would anyone care where you are?) you can just wrap your phone in tin foil, or turn it off and take the battery out. Or just destroy it. You're too paranoid for that level of technology.

As for navigation, I've only used it a couple times. I mostly stay local, and I know where just about everything is.

The one thing I find annoying is that it occasionally pops up an ad... like "Conoco.. yadda yadda yadda" with a button that lets you navigate to the particular location. Fine, it's a free app and they need to make money somehow... but that shit is annoying... who wants popups on a navigation app?

I would probably whip up Google Maps for navigation and just be sure I have the traffic overlay enabled. For seeing if the road is backed up on my way to or from work, Waze is pretty decent.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:32:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I also use an app called Road Warrior for route planning. Works great if you have several stopa to make. Gives you the best route and then links to google maps for directions
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Swap out your daily driver for the squad car, no walking involved.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have no idea how these things work (I'm batting 1000 tonight on posting shit I have no idea about )  But I wonder if leaving a "take home" someplace that clearly "isn't home" for an extended time would lead to at the minimum policy issues, and beyond that insurance and possibly even legal issues.

I sometimes leave vehicles at bars and restaurants for convenience purposes, mainly because they expect drunks to take a cab or get a ride or whatever and come back in a "day or two."  So I don't expect problems.  Chain hotels can also be good, as can park and rides.  Years ago I had an uncle who was a private pilot and always had a car parked at an airport in my city where he did a lot of business.  Unlocked with the keys in it.  I think half the town knew about that car.  We used to take it joyriding as teenagers.  Following an unwritten code we always made sure it got returned with at least a quarter tank of gas

No fucking way I'd leave a car for any length of time at the side of the road or at a private business where the owner didn't know me (or at least knew I was leaving the car there for x time for y reason).  And I'm while the farthest thing there is from a cop, I'd be super wary of leaving a squad.  I imagine this would lead to phone calls and a lot of hassle.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:08:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I use it and love it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:24:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have no idea how these things work (I'm batting 1000 tonight on posting shit I have no idea about )  But I wonder if leaving a "take home" someplace that clearly "isn't home" for an extended time would lead to at the minimum policy issues, and beyond that insurance and possibly even legal issues.

I sometimes leave vehicles at bars and restaurants for convenience purposes, mainly because they expect drunks to take a cab or get a ride or whatever and come back in a "day or two."  So I don't expect problems.  Chain hotels can also be good, as can park and rides.  Years ago I had an uncle who was a private pilot and always had a car parked at an airport in my city where he did a lot of business.  Unlocked with the keys in it.  I think half the town knew about that car.  We used to take it joyriding as teenagers.  Following an unwritten code we always made sure it got returned with at least a quarter tank of gas

No fucking way I'd leave a car for any length of time at the side of the road or at a private business where the owner didn't know me (or at least knew I was leaving the car there for x time for y reason).  And I'm while the farthest thing there is from a cop, I'd be super wary of leaving a squad.  I imagine this would lead to phone calls and a lot of hassle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand your concern, but in Henderson TN they don't give a fuck, they park their squad cars randomly around.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I understand your concern, but in Henderson TN they don't give a fuck, they park their squad cars randomly around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Franklin does the same. Take home cars must stay within the city limits. You see them littered around the city limits. Churches seem to be the most popular spot to leave a patrol.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Heh, I like it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heh, I like it.  

I drive one of those "ghost cars" so it's kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. Wase keeps me on my toes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm hoping your post does not lead me down the wrong path.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use WAZE daily....I like it just fine.   Especially for the price.  It has never steered me wrong.

I'm hoping your post does not lead me down the wrong path.

The stock maps navigation integrates waze traffic reports anyway.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. It's saved me from a few tickets.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention a few sensitive items including radio, my multiple NFA toys, handcuffs and the other countless things that people would find to be easy pickins  when they find a police car with no policeman in sight.(and in before someone says "just take it with you") I can't believe people are actually suggesting this as an option as opposed to fixing Waze to where the police alerts only last 10 or so minutes instead of hours... so people would have to continously mark our houses to keep the warning up. Again I don't care if Waze marks me while working... while at home? Come on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems silly to leave a marked police car in  your drive and then complain when people mark it.  Don't want people to know you are a cop, put that shit in the garage.

It's the car that is giving him away.  It's not the app.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not to mention a few sensitive items including radio, my multiple NFA toys, handcuffs and the other countless things that people would find to be easy pickins  when they find a police car with no policeman in sight.(and in before someone says "just take it with you") I can't believe people are actually suggesting this as an option as opposed to fixing Waze to where the police alerts only last 10 or so minutes instead of hours... so people would have to continously mark our houses to keep the warning up. Again I don't care if Waze marks me while working... while at home? Come on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your marked police car is what screams "guns, weapons, cuffs."  It's not waze.  Don't want people to know you are a cop, have cop gear?  Put your car in the fucking garage or leave it at work.

Cop cars (even unmarked) are easy as shit to spot.  Driving.  With eyes.

If a person wanted to get cop toys, all they'd have to do is drive around a little bit and record the addresses of off duty guys who leave their cop rig in plain sight.

You are bitching about something that regulation of Waze cannot prevent.  Only YOU can prevent that by keeping your clearly marked (obvious) cop car out of sight when you are at home.  Otherwise, we all, waze users or not, know what you do and where you live.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#29]
This is true but I'm not so Concerned about neighbors, and locals as I am people driving on the most traveled interstate in the country, less than a mile away. Your point is valued though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I've used Waze for three months now and like most everyone else here, I can chime in with a big +1 on everything:  Great for road obstructions, accidents, traffic patterns and, of course, LEOs.  For a really heavy user with a long commute limited to two or three possible routes getting to and from work, it's fantastic...and Google maps is still better for navigation at present, but the editing is making it much better on a daily basis.  

As for LEO reporting, I try to mark at least 5 a day, 150 in a month minimum....not that it's a quota or anything, or enforced for revenue generation or anything like that, no....

As to the "heavy usage" part....remember, this is in only 3 months going to and from work:  My Waze Scorecard
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I've used Waze for three months now and like most everyone else here, I can chime in with a big +1 on everything:  Great for road obstructions, accidents, traffic patterns and, of course, LEOs.  For a really heavy user with a long commute limited to two or three possible routes getting to and from work, it's fantastic...and Google maps is still better for navigation at present, but the editing is making it much better on a daily basis.  

As for LEO reporting, I try to mark at least 5 a day, 150 in a month minimum....not that it's a quota or anything, or enforced for revenue generation or anything like that, no....

As to the "heavy usage" part....remember, this is in only 3 months going to and from work:  My Waze Scorecard
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm suspicous that sometimes Waze tries to send me down certain routes just so they can gather traffic data about that route.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm suspicous that sometimes Waze tries to send me down certain routes just so they can gather traffic data about that route.
View Quote

That could be true...

I've noticed the little 'bonus point' icons are, 90% of the time, on rarely used side roads, out in the country.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I like waze and I am currently a royalty wazer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That could be true...

I've noticed the little 'bonus point' icons are, 90% of the time, on rarely used side roads, out in the country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That could be true...

I have noticed it sending me down some weird paths occasionally.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Half the incidents that are reported are probably from douche bags typing on their phone instead of driving.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Half the incidents that are reported are probably from douche bags typing on their phone instead of driving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First on scene to report the accident!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Love waze for the awareness of what's ahead, but not so much the navigation.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Seems silly to leave a marked police car in  your drive and then complain when people mark it.  Don't want people to know you are a cop, put that shit in the garage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, fucking idiots marking his patrol car when it's parked in his driveway... they're misusing the app. The function to mark a police car is to warn of speed traps or other incidents where police are actively responding.

It does no fucking good to anyone to mark a police car parked at a residence. No. Fucking. Good. To. Anyone.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No, fucking idiots marking his patrol car when it's parked in his driveway... they're misusing the app. The function to mark a police car is to warn of speed traps or other incidents where police are actively responding.

It does no fucking good to anyone to mark a police car parked at a residence. No. Fucking. Good. To. Anyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whenever I see an obvious misuse of marking something like a parked cop car, I'll be sure and hit the "Not There" button to clear it.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The voice of reason speaketh.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The app isn't going away.

Peer to peer, GPS enabled, reporting isn't going away. It will only get better.

Time to buy a car cover or commute to work via POV, if a threat is felt.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. I have it on my phone, just don't even have to open the app. I drive for a living and it's been pretty consistent.

The other day I would have been late to work if it hadn't notified me that 81 was backed up. Took 11 instead.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Yep. I have it on my phone, just don't even have to open the app. I drive for a living and it's been pretty consistent.

The other day I would have been late to work if it hadn't notified me that 81 was backed up. Took 11 instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

... yup, gave up on Waze on my last cross-country trip. Back to Scout

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top