BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're comfortable, keep you cool, have nifty pockets, and dry quickly.  That's why I wear 'em.  I'm wearing one right now, matter of fact.
View Quote

They are my daily wear.  I change to a clean one for church
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'm old school, just wear a long sleeve teeshirt when out on the boat fishing
View Quote
Same here

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd rather wear a lightweight long sleeve shirt. Those wierd things are for people whose charter guides do all the fishing for them.
View Quote

Let me recommend a lightweight, long sleeve shirt:

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm sold on them. They dry fast in the sun, they keep your arms from getting burnt with the sleeves down, and they are sinfully light and comfortable in hot weather. What the hell more do you want from a shirt?
View Quote
This man speaks the truth.

Nothing I'd rather wear on an 8 hour fishing trip in 95 degree weather in S. Florida.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LOL right?

It bugs me when people say something is just a "fashion statement" when it's an example of form following function.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a fashion accessory.         At least be honest with yourself.
How? It looks retarded.  Also, why would a fashion accessory have useful purpose specific addition, an utilize materials for specific resistances?

Or do you think a cotton T shirt can do the same things that shirt can do?

And that's when the fight started.

Y'all will argue about ANYTHING.  

Seriously, when you are out in the Texas sun those shirts are awesome.

LOL right?

It bugs me when people say something is just a "fashion statement" when it's an example of form following function.

I wear these shirts all the time they are awesome OP is a dork
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather wear a lightweight long sleeve shirt. Those wierd things are for people whose charter guides do all the fishing for them.

Let me recommend a lightweight, long sleeve shirt:

http://i.stpost.com/columbia-sportswear-backcountry-bahama-ii-pfg-fishing-shirt-long-sleeve-for-men-in-sunlit-white~p~38642_42~1500.2.jpg

LOL...the irony of his post.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#7]
What's a "hair tie"???
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I had an off brand 'fishing shirt' damn near kill me from heat stroke last year, never again...
View Quote
LOL I'd LOVE to hear how it did that.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
comfortable, considered a dress shirt in Florida, easy to carry concealed in. very cool. there is a hoop at the bottom of one front that your rod butt goes in then the velcro strap goes over the shaft of your rod so you can use both hands to tie your gear on. different materials for different weather. I have a closet full of them. you can find them cheap on Amazon or Bealls outlet
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It's more geared for folks fly fishing on flats ya hayseeds
View Quote

Yep.

You also need fingerless gloves and one of those bandana looking things to complete the look.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Those shirts are great.  I wear them fishing and just bumming around on the summer weekends.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Seriously, check out Sierra Trading Post. Both Columbia and ExOfficio last forever and can be had for cheap. I stocked up 20 years ago when I had the time to fly fish.
The drain holes are perfect for feeding out tippet material.
View Quote

You're a fucking wizard.  I'd never thought of that, but you can bet I'll be doing that from now on.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep.

You also need fingerless gloves and one of those bandana looking things to complete the look.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's more geared for folks fly fishing on flats ya hayseeds

Yep.

I don't know about a bandana, but I do need gloves

The back of my hands look like they belong to an old man

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That shirt is sooo early 90's. Today's fisherman sports a mix of NASCAR, Pro Bull riding and X-games.

http://files.worldfishingnetwork.com/Images/news/tournament/bass_ike_02_21_10_large.jpg

Seriously, check out Sierra Trading Post. Both Columbia and ExOfficio last forever and can be had for cheap. I stocked up 20 years ago when I had the time to fly fish.

The drain holes are perfect for feeding out tippet material.
View Quote
ExOfficio I have is made from nylon.

Nylon is much better than most polyester's in hot humid conditions.

Polyester can stink.  The nylon feels much better.

Wearing cotton in the muggy hot ass Gulf Coast is like taking a shower with your socks on.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone compared these to the lycra kind of fishing shirts. They are skin tight and seem real popular with the kayak fishing folks.  I know lycra isn't kind to the average arfcommer, but you never know.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Comfortable, considered a dress shirt in Florida, easy to carry concealed in.
View Quote

That's the main reason I like them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:46:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know, but getting a hook stuck in your shoe laces really sucks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I don't know, but getting a hook stuck in your shoe laces really sucks.
View Quote

Meh.  I got a treble hook stuck in the small of my back once.  Had to ride home on a bike to pull it out.  If I wasn't in so much pain I would have cried like a little bitch.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How? It looks retarded.  Also, why would a fashion accessory have useful purpose specific addition, an utilize materials for specific resistances?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a fashion accessory.         At least be honest with yourself.

Well I seem to do just fine with a T shirt. If it's cold, I put on a wind breaker or a sweat shirt.
Here, come find out I could have been catching more fish.
If only I had been wearing a faggy 50 dollar yellow shirt!

I'll pass!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well shit. How many opportunities have fled in 40 years? It's not like it comes with a manual.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Velcro thing that goes up holds your pole while you tie on the lure.

Well shit. How many opportunities have fled in 40 years? It's not like it comes with a manual.

You don't fly fish, do you?

As already mentioned the Velcro is to hold your fly rod while standing in the middle of a stream/river changing flies. The loop under the right pocket is just for attaching stuff like forceps on a retractor and such. All those pockets are for fly boxes which are about the size of an Altoids mint box.

Not designed for drowning worms.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Because you catch delicious fish while wearing them.

Caught while Deep Dropping in 900' off of Marathon, FL.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep. It's a button loop.

That is a Columbia PFG shirt.

The loop on the bicep is to hold the sleeves up when you roll them up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll premise the question with the fact that I have fished all my life. I wonder though - how many more fish  would I have caught if I maximized the potential of my shirts.

Pray tell - What should I be doing with the hair-tie that's sewn below the right pocket? Flies? Affixing my fish whistle?

And, above the left breast. The Velcro thingy looks promising, but how can it bring more fish to the boat?

I hope to hear from master fishermen so my family doesn't starve.

http://i.stpost.com/columbia-sportswear-backcountry-bahama-ii-pfg-fishing-shirt-long-sleeve-for-men-in-sunlit-white~p~38642_42~1500.2.jpg

ETA: Shit - I just noticed a hair-tie on the left sleeve of sample photo. My pfg and Columbia don't have that! Do I need to toss them?

Yep. It's a button loop.

That is a Columbia PFG shirt.

The loop on the bicep is to hold the sleeves up when you roll them up.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I wear Columbia fishing shirts because they are awesome.
I don't even fish
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:33:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/supracls/DeepDropTile_zpsyemqexll.jpg

View Quote
What do tile fish really taste like?

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/user/supracls/media/DeepDropTile_zpsyemqexll.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/supracls/DeepDropTile_zpsyemqexll.jpg</a>

View Quote

off to urban dictionary...

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/supracls/DeepDropTile_zpsyemqexll.jpg

If properly cooked, it's an extremely light, flaky fish that tastes like lobster or crab. It's really amazing when it hits your plate 30 minutes after it's hit the dock.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/user/supracls/media/DeepDropTile_zpsyemqexll.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/supracls/DeepDropTile_zpsyemqexll.jpg</a>

No need. It doesn't have anything to do with first cousins.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:41:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a few of them. Not sure why anyone would pick that particular color, but the shirts themselves are very nice. It gets hot as fuck here in the Summer. They keep you from roasting and the pockets are handy for holding line clippers and pliers. Come sit all day on a kayak on Lake Allatoona in August, and you'll understand why breathable, neutral colored clothing is the tits.
View Quote

As far as that color, light yellows tend to look good on darker-complected folks.

As far as the shirts, my grandpa had a whole bunch of the PFG shirts. I got one and immediately understood why. Super comfortable on a hot sunny day. Little odd looking if you're not on the water but sure feels good.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:52:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I am optimistic about these shirts I picked up from Sam's Club about a month ago.  Very good feel, didn't crumple and collapse after being washed a few times, and super lightweight.  $16.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#32]

I like them.
Down here in Texas where it's hot you see a lot of them worn as casual clothing like at BBQ's and such.
I wear the tan and olive colored ones dove and deer hunting when it's warm too in early season.
They make a good casual concealed carry shirt too.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#33]
This thread got me to look for some.

Bealls has 'Reel Legend' brand ones 40% off today, so I bought 2, regularly $46, got them for $27.60 each

http://www.beallsflorida.com/online/reel-legends-mens-long-sleeve-salt-water-shirt?cm_vc=onsitesearch
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wear Columbia fishing shirts because they are awesome.
I don't even fish
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I wear these long sleeve fishing shirts and the "bandana thing" aka a Buff when I am fishing so I don't have to keep putting sun screen on every little bit.  Also wear a large brimmed hat.  I used to be an idiot and fish in a cotton T shirt out in the blazing sun on a boat.  Then I learned how not steam cook myself
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Cover your big fat beer belly.
View Quote

and gun

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

This thread got me to look for some.

Bealls has 'Reel Legend' brand ones 40% off today, so I bought 2, regularly $46, got them for $27.60 each

http://www.beallsflorida.com/online/reel-legends-mens-long-sleeve-salt-water-shirt?cm_vc=onsitesearch

View Quote
These are comfortable.

Bealls is just around the corner from here, going back to get one more at this price.

Got an olive drab and blue/grey one, may pick up a white one as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I dunno but freeballing in them ultra light weight shorts is like nirvana for your testes. Awesome for wading they  dry super fast.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Velcro thing that goes up holds your pole while you tie on the lure.
View Quote

This. I have 2 of those shirts in short sleeve I got at Gander. Great for a prepper. Can add all manner of things to those pockets.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Columbia's SPF shirts are my new favorites.  Try the Tamiami II, no holes in the pockets.  I prefer not to get skin cancer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Fill the pockets full of worms and go snorkeling, then strangle them with your bare hands as they take the bait.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#42]
After having two skin cancers taken off last year, I wear mine when I mow the grass or do anything else outside in the sun. Don't think I've ever actually worn it fishing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I can OWB in the summertime with one, so there's that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have never worn any fishing-specific clothing (other than Cost sunglasses), but I do plan on getting some of those gloves.  Despite having pale skin, I don't burn easily.  However, the backs of my hands take a beating from the sun, and I now have a couple of permanent spots on my right hand.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Just bought a Guidewear shirt (the $60 one) on sale for $45.

It seems like a very nice (polyester) shirt, well made, and light, and it has a UPF rating of 50.

We'll see how I like it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I probably have 6 of the long sleeve version and at least a dozen of the short sleeve ones.  I wear them pretty much every day.  In the heat & humidity of S. Florida, cotton shirts are soaked with sweat in no time and stay wet for quite while.  These things dry super quick and are much lighter, so you stay cooler.  The vents help with air movement too.

A couple of years ago we went down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon in early July on a little 93 mile rafting trip.  The daily temps. were literally around 120 degree.   I wore the long sleeve Columbia shirts on the entire trip.  They do an excellent job keeping the sun off you without being hot.

I also like the variety of bright colors too!  They launder easily and require very little ironing to look fresh and new.

Around here the short sleeve versions are a between $30 & $40.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They're comfortable, keep you cool, have nifty pockets, and dry quickly.  That's why I wear 'em.  I'm wearing one right now, matter of fact.
View Quote

Yep. I love mine even if I look like a frat boy in them
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm sold on them. They dry fast in the sun, they keep your arms from getting burnt with the sleeves down, and they are sinfully light and comfortable in hot weather. What the hell more do you want from a shirt?
View Quote

This.  They ventilate very well.

They dry fast.

They aren't heavy.

Pockets are helpful.

Can wear it to work and not be looked at funny.  (career dependent)
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I got one of those shirts, brand new, 20$ i like it alot!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#50]
This thread cost me money. My favorite place, Sierra Trading Post, has coupons on FB and Twitterz all the time. I've been holding out on the ex officio and Columbia PFG. $25 each and free shipping just now.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top