Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/22/2015 7:27:26 PM EDT
I'll premise the question with the fact that I have fished all my life. I wonder though - how many more fish  would I have caught if I maximized the potential of my shirts.

Pray tell - What should I be doing with the hair-tie that's sewn below the right pocket? Flies? Affixing my fish whistle?

And, above the left breast. The Velcro thingy looks promising, but how can it bring more fish to the boat?

I hope to hear from master fishermen so my family doesn't starve.

ETA: Shit - I just noticed a hair-tie on the left sleeve of sample photo. My pfg and Columbia don't have that! Do I need to toss them?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Velcro thing that goes up holds your pole while you tie on the lure.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That's just to get you out of the house and away from the wife.

The hookers and blow don't care what you wear.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
They're comfortable, keep you cool, have nifty pockets, and dry quickly.  That's why I wear 'em.  I'm wearing one right now, matter of fact.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Well shit. How many opportunities have fled in 40 years? It's not like it comes with a manual.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#5]
You whole life?  

So, that does raise the question, if you've been fishing your whole life, what is the ratio of fish you catch, to hours spent fishing.  With that ratio in hand, you can apply it to time lost fishing digging in a bag or box for stuff that could have been immediately accessible on your shirt.

That would give you a rough idea of how many more fish you could have caught.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well shit. How many opportunities have fled in 40 years? It's not like it comes with a manual.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone had to tell me too.  Don't feel too bad.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would you buy any article clothing without fully researching and understand its features and benefits?

And yellow?  Are you aware that only 13% of fish species will bite on the line of a yellow-shirted fisherman?  Do you have allegies?

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

For all I know, the accouterments are useful for hookers and blow as well!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the drains in the breast pockets.  You wear it spear fishing?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why would you buy any article clothing without fully researching and understand its features and benefits?

And yellow?  Are you aware that only 13% of fish species will bite on the line of a yellow-shirted fisherman?  Do you have allegies?

View Quote

Does this have anything to do with bringing bananas on a boat?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
all the fisherman I know don't where a shirt whilst fishing. I've never understood how being hammered, passing out, and getting a horrendous sunburn aids in catching fish either. Anyone care to explain that?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a $120 shirt
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#14]
It's more geared for folks fly fishing on flats ya hayseeds
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#15]
That is a fashion accessory.         At least be honest with yourself.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pfft, I would with my pasty ass skin.  If I didn't already have long sleeve shirts with uv protection for that. To hell with skin cancer!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Some of those fishing shirts are a little too much and I don't mean price wise but more in a manner of wearing goofy ass nascar shit
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks like a $120 shirt
View Quote

More like $50
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

More like $50
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a $120 shirt

More like $50

Link?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They're comfortable, keep you cool, have nifty pockets, and dry quickly.  That's why I wear 'em.  I'm wearing one right now, matter of fact.
View Quote

...and they won't stain....and keep the sun off ya.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
How? It looks retarded.  Also, why would a fashion accessory have useful purpose specific addition, an utilize materials for specific resistances?

Or do you think a cotton T shirt can do the same things that shirt can do?

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a $120 shirt

More like $50

Link?

http://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-bahama-ii-long-sleeve-shirt-FM7048.html
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'll premise the question with the fact that I have fished all my life. I wonder though - how many more fish  would I have caught if I maximized the potential of my shirts.

Pray tell - What should I be doing with the hair-tie that's sewn below the right pocket? Flies? Affixing my fish whistle?

And, above the left breast. The Velcro thingy looks promising, but how can it bring more fish to the boat?

I hope to hear from master fishermen so my family doesn't starve.

http://i.stpost.com/columbia-sportswear-backcountry-bahama-ii-pfg-fishing-shirt-long-sleeve-for-men-in-sunlit-white~p~38642_42~1500.2.jpg

ETA: Shit - I just noticed a hair-tie on the left sleeve of sample photo. My pfg and Columbia don't have that! Do I need to toss them?
View Quote

That is a Columbia PFG shirt.

The loop on the bicep is to hold the sleeves up when you roll them up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm sold on them. They dry fast in the sun, they keep your arms from getting burnt with the sleeves down, and they are sinfully light and comfortable in hot weather. What the hell more do you want from a shirt?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a few of them. Not sure why anyone would pick that particular color, but the shirts themselves are very nice. It gets hot as fuck here in the Summer. They keep you from roasting and the pockets are handy for holding line clippers and pliers. Come sit all day on a kayak on Lake Allatoona in August, and you'll understand why breathable, neutral colored clothing is the tits.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

How? It looks retarded.  Also, why would a fashion accessory have useful purpose specific addition, an utilize materials for specific resistances?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And that's when the fight started.

Y'all will argue about ANYTHING.  

Seriously, when you are out in the Texas sun those shirts are awesome.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm sold on them. They dry fast in the sun, they keep your arms from getting burnt with the sleeves down, and they are sinfully light and comfortable in hot weather. What the hell more do you want from a shirt?
View Quote

Same here.

Hell, I wear the PFG shirts as casual shirts in warm weather.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Me too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.

Same here. They also keep the sun off. I cover up pretty much head to toe when I'm out fishing. Skin cancer sucks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL right?
It bugs me when people say something is just a "fashion statement" when it's an example of form following function.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am a pure, pale, blankskin. Also a product of the 70's.... when a little dab on the nose would do ya.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I wear these:  http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Casual-Clothing/Mens-Fishing-Clothing/Mens-Fishing-Shirts|/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/104329080/i/103936680/Cabelas-Mens-Signature-Series-Long-Sleeve-Angler-Shirt8482-150-Tall/1155162.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FMens-Fishing-Shirts%2F103936680.uts

Cabelas version, little less expensive, seem to hold up better than the columbia.  No pole holder velcro thingy though.

On sale right now too...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm old school, just wear a long sleeve teeshirt when out on the boat fishing
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#34]
The thing with a cotton tee-shirt is it stretches and you can burn through it if it is wet.

Plus, I frequently go fishing with a dermatologist buddy.  I catch hell if I don't dress for the sun!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry friend. Holes in shirts are outlawed in CA.

Do you even conservation bro?

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.....have one on also.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't even fish and I wear them, primarily for comfort.

A few years back, my non-fishing uncle standardized on the Columbia brand fishing shirts and that's literally the only thing he wears unless he has a business meeting.  I thought he was weird for showing up to thanksgiving dinner in one of those things.  Then I tried one and I'm a convert.  It's pretty much the only thing I'll wear when flying.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I had an off brand 'fishing shirt' damn near kill me from heat stroke last year, never again...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#39]
The pocket loop is so you can attach your fishing license holder and always know where it is.  You know for when the man comes around.  You don't even have to put down your beer and go find it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I wear these:  http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Casual-Clothing/Mens-Fishing-Clothing/Mens-Fishing-Shirts|/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/104329080/i/103936680/Cabelas-Mens-Signature-Series-Long-Sleeve-Angler-Shirt8482-150-Tall/1155162.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FMens-Fishing-Shirts%2F103936680.uts

Cabelas version, little less expensive, seem to hold up better than the columbia.  No pole holder velcro thingy though.

On sale right now too...
View Quote

hot link
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#41]
the hair tie is  for nail clipper on a recoil , Velcro thing is for the man card . the holes in the pockets so when you get out of the water from falling in   that water drains .   yellow helps attract fish,
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

On sale right now too...
View Quote

Off to Cabela's, on the morrow, to pick one up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fill my pockets with water and I ain't letting it drain I'm taking it home so I can flush my toilet.

Finally.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#44]
They mainly prevent skin cancer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Hell I don't even fish ( I don't have the time) and I wear these shirts everyday.  They keep the sun off you, blood wash's out easily, and they are durable as hell I have had some for 5 or 6 years before they wear out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd rather wear a lightweight long sleeve shirt. Those wierd things are for people whose charter guides do all the fishing for them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I used to be a sweaty fucking mess when I just used T-shirts. Those shirts are awesome.

I picked up a bunch on Amazon for $20.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Cover your big fat beer belly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#49]
That shirt is sooo early 90's. Today's fisherman sports a mix of NASCAR, Pro Bull riding and X-games.

Seriously, check out Sierra Trading Post. Both Columbia and ExOfficio last forever and can be had for cheap. I stocked up 20 years ago when I had the time to fly fish.
The drain holes are perfect for feeding out tippet material.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top