BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
My uncle thought the show was funny and he was shot down over Germany. He spent a year in a Stalag.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Really?

Whoever said Blazing Saddles couldn't be made in this day and age was right.

This thread is a great example of why.
View Quote

Mel Brooks has said that along with many others.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The show ran from 1965 to 1971, when PLENTY of guys who had actually been in Nazi prison camps were still very much around.  My mother, who had lived thru WWII, would never let us watch it, b/c she said given the horrible things the Nazis had done, she didn't think it was very appropriate to laugh about it.  A bit in the Wiki link shows she's not the only one:
TV Guide in 2002 named Hogan's Heroes the fifth worst TV show of all time. The listing for Hogan's Heroes in particular accuses the show of trivializing the suffering of real life POWs and the victims of the Holocaust with its comedic take on prison camps in the Third Reich.[63]
View Quote

and
Mad magazine #108 (January 1967) parodied the show as "Hokum's Heroes". An additional one-page parody called "Hochman's Heroes" took the show's premise to the next level by setting it in Buchenwald concentration camp.

View Quote

Now, I grant you, the show is funny, and I enjoy it... FOR AN ADULT THAT KNOWS BETTER!!!  Serially, what the fuck LSD-addled TV exec pulled this nightmare out of his ass, in the late 60's no less, a mere 20 years after the war had ended???  Maybe they should have topped it off with some show about loveable, adorable child molesters doin' their thing????

View Quote

wadda think of this?

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious..... or just butt hurt.

My grandpa who is a Korean War vet would beg to differ, he loves the show. He refers to it as his show or the show about his war. When he meets vets like the one Clint Eastwood played in gran torino he says those guys need leave the war over in the country where it was fought and learn to laugh about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you look long and hard at the M*A*S*H tv series it is just as bad.

1. 99% of the career officers were portrayed as blood thirsty and/or idiotic

2. Most of the career enlisted were portrayed as idiots

3. The N. Korean and Chinese soldiers were shown as decent people who would give aid to the enemy.

Insulting to those that proudly served in the military and during Korea. Glosses over the atrocities committed by the enemy.

My grandpa who is a Korean War vet would beg to differ, he loves the show. He refers to it as his show or the show about his war. When he meets vets like the one Clint Eastwood played in gran torino he says those guys need leave the war over in the country where it was fought and learn to laugh about it.

+1

MASH walked the line of making the point war is hell, while  doing so with a sense of humor. My dad loved the show, was in Vietnam, and as far from the left as you can get.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Really?

Whoever said Blazing Saddles couldn't be made in this day and age was right.

This thread is a great example of why.
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
+1

MASH walked the line of making the point war is hell, while  doing so with a sense of humor. My dad loved the show, was in Vietnam, and as far from the left as you can get.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3. The N. Korean and Chinese soldiers were shown as decent people who would give aid to the enemy.

Insulting to those that proudly served in the military and during Korea. Glosses over the atrocities committed by the enemy.

+1

Just trying to point out that if a person wants to over think it, there are many shows (ie MASH) that can be seen in a negative light. People today try to read more into something then there really is, Hogan was a sitcom, MASH was a sitcom with a dramatic bent. Yet there are those that want to nit pick the morality of protraying this or that.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
wadda think of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4BvF_sb3Y
View Quote

You have triggered my microagressions!!!111!!!    How dare you make fun of our Native-American, ochre-hued, white-anglo-male-victimized bretheren!!!111!!!111!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

That was the point. The propaganda was ignored but it still changed attitudes, especially in the young.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I could be wrong, but I think the Wehrmacht ran the POW camps, not the German air force.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I
Luftwaffe prison camps, while not fun, were not at all the same as concentration camps.

I could be wrong, but I think the Wehrmacht ran the POW camps, not the German air force.

You are wrong.

Luftwaffe ran prison camps for captured airmen. Hence the camp names being Stalag Luft 12 etc.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't stand that show!!

If it comes on I can't pull myself away from the TV . Hate when I scroll the channels on my day off and see it. Can't get nothing done. Have to watch at least 4 episodes before I get off the couch .
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FFS  
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Op runs out of stuff to be butt hurt about so he resorts to 60's sitcom.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I liked it. IIRC, Bob Crane was a drummer and played the opening music score.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#16]
WTF F-troop is age restricted for mature content
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#17]
A little-known fact is that John Banner (Sgt. Shultz) used an American Krag rifle on the show. He was a big guy and I suppose a Mauser K98 would have looked small on him.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought the show was great

Hub Zemke's book was interesting, they had hidden radios, like the TV show...

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Made about the same time as The Producers, IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Werner Klemperer's father was Otto Klemperer, a famous musical conductor.    
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#21]
If it hasn't been said yet, relax Francis.

I always heard people didn't like it because it made fun of Germans and was insensitive. Now you have a problem because they made a sitcom about a pow camp?

Also, the Luftwaffe ran the pow camps. Yes they are still prison camps, but Luftwaffe were not nazis, so get your history straight.

Finally, a number of the actors were Jewish and one, I believe it was the French guy, was actually in a concentration camp. I thoughts 'twas funny as hell as a kid. Did you also not watch the great escape or stalag 17? I was a kid in the 90s watching reruns before church on Sunday's and could see it for what it was, a good hearted show about American GIs, that made fun of Germans
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Years ago, a guy I know was in pretty bad car accident. As he was getting out of the wreck, a passer-by came over, guided him to the side of the road and sat him down.

My friend looked up at the guy to say thanks, saw who it was and blurted out, "Hey, you're Colonel Klink." And indeed, it was Werner Klemperer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Years ago, a guy I know was in pretty bad car accident. As he was getting out of the wreck, a passer-by came over, guided him to the side of the road and sat him down.

My friend looked up at the guy to say thanks, saw who it was and blurted out, "Hey, you're Colonel Klink." And indeed, it was Werner Klemperer.
View Quote

That would be cool.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They had their own for allied air crew
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Luftwaffe prison camps, while not fun, were not at all the same as concentration camps.

They had their own for allied air crew

Göring supposedly ordered proper treatment for the Allied prisoners after they caught him in an inspection and complained. His rationale was that poor treatment of them would justify poor treatment of German prisoners by the Allies.

OP, Stalag 17 was a Broadway comedy that won a Tony for best director. The film version cost 1.6 million dollars and grossed ten million. William Holden got an Oscar for best actor. Playwright Edmund Trzcinski was a prisoner in Germany. Another of the writers for the film was also a prisoner in Germany - Donald Bevan.

full movie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKc2GJk2OLQ
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That would be cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be cool.

Always thought it was one of the better "How I Met A Celebrity" stories.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I think it was a product of the times. Rebel against "the man" and show them to be silly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I liked it. IIRC, Bob Crane was a drummer and played the opening music score.
View Quote
He was also beat like a drum till he died in a hotel here in Phoenix.

Never rub another man's rhubarb

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Concur. Still, our guys were underfed.  Better to be in a Luftstalag than another PoW camp.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just trying to point out that if a person wants to over think it, there are many shows (ie MASH) that can be seen in a negative light. People today try to read more into something then there really is, Hogan was a sitcom, MASH was a sitcom with a dramatic bent. Yet there are those that want to nit pick the morality of protraying this or that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Fair point.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The show ran from 1965 to 1971, when PLENTY of guys who had actually been in Nazi prison camps were still very much around.  My mother, who had lived thru WWII, would never let us watch it, b/c she said given the horrible things the Nazis had done, she didn't think it was very appropriate to laugh about it.  A bit in the Wiki link shows she's not the only one:

TV Guide in 2002 named Hogan's Heroes the fifth worst TV show of all time. The listing for Hogan's Heroes in particular accuses the show of trivializing the suffering of real life POWs and the victims of the Holocaust with its comedic take on prison camps in the Third Reich.[63]
View Quote

and

Mad magazine #108 (January 1967) parodied the show as "Hokum's Heroes". An additional one-page parody called "Hochman's Heroes" took the show's premise to the next level by setting it in Buchenwald concentration camp.
View Quote

Now, I grant you, the show is funny, and I enjoy it... FOR AN ADULT THAT KNOWS BETTER!!!  Serially, what the fuck LSD-addled TV exec pulled this nightmare out of his ass, in the late 60's no less, a mere 20 years after the war had ended???  Maybe they should have topped it off with some show about loveable, adorable child molesters doin' their thing????
View Quote

More proof 13ers are skirt wearing sissies.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
German Air Force ran the camps and treated prisoners much better than most.  Honor among the aviators.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
And many were Jewish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of the cast had been interned.

You would think if they had had any objections as former POWs they wouldn't have been on the show

And many were Jewish.
Col. Klinck, Sgt Schultz, even Hoffsthetter.  All JEWISH.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would think if they had had any objections as former POWs they wouldn't have been on the show

And many were Jewish.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

^ This,

Being stranded on an island isn't fun either, or having a car for a mom.

View Quote

This thread is prime evidence that people just have to find something they can profess being butt-hurt over.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Had the op watched an episode yet?

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I liked Hogan's heroes as a kid!

And just the other day caught a rerun! Still funny all these years later.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Torah Torah Torah, Patton, Midway, I saw all of those, in the theater, first run.  I know that I have left some out..
View Quote

Did Mel Brooks direct "Torah,Torah,Torah"?

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#38]
guys, OP is a 13'er if you hadn't noticed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Hogan's Heros was loosely based off the movie "Stalag 17".

If it was such a horrible show and everyone was butthurt, why did they keep making it for 6 years?

Answer, because most people weren't butthurt about it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Hogan's Heros was loosely based off the movie "Stalag 17".

If it was such a horrible show and everyone was butthurt, why did they keep making it for 6 years?

Answer, because most people weren't butthurt about it.
View Quote

Length of runtime is not really an indicator of butthurt.  But I do believe Hogan's was widely accepted.

Married With Children ran for 11 years.  It led to great amounts of butthurt from day one and was highly controversial and upsetting to a non-ignorable segment of the population.  Lost advertisers, boycotts, even had an episode pulled.  If you watch that episode today you wouldn't even blink an eye.

N.Y.P.D Blue was so successfully boycotted that in some markets, the first season was aired on FOX.  Full page protest ads across the US.  The show led to the creation of the Parents Television Council who was eventually able to lobby for massive FCC fines that had to go all the way to SCOTUS to get overturned.  12 seasons.  I remember the fundies going absolutely apeshit and literally frothing at the mouth from rage.  

I watched it with my mom every week.  The only problem I had with the show is sometime around season 4 it started really sucking a donkey dick.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And many were Jewish.

And the point was to mock the Nazis.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:05:44 AM EDT
[#42]
OP needs to take television entertainment for what it is and nothing more.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:11:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Who knew Arfcom is riddled with PC butt hurt?

I saw almost every episode in reruns, every day after school at 4:30, while eating a bowl of cornflakes.

My story:  I actually had lunch with Col. Klink, Werner Klemperer.  He was (is?) the son of the great conductor Otto Klemperer.

He came to Atlanta to narrate a production of  Beethoven's  incidental music to Egmont with the Atlanta Symphony, 1991 or so.  He was a terrific guy, interesting, intelligent, sincere.

Bob Crane, on the other hand, apparently had serious personal issues.  That's how you get your brains blown out in bed by a jealous husband.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:12:38 AM EDT
[#44]
I'll just leave this here for the OP.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#45]
The show makes fun of the Germans
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:17:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Here's a good one:  The show was dubbed into German and played over here.

My German friends say they don't quite get what's funny about it; hmm.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:19:24 AM EDT
[#47]
The entire fucking point of the show is not about the conditions of the prison camp, its about making the nazis look like complete dumb fucks while the Americans were so much smarter.  I can't stand the PC crowd anymore.  Take a damn joke people.  It's not a documentary it's a comedy.  Nothing about it was meant to depict what the actual war was like...People are freaking retarded.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, never watch Blazing Saddles (not the cut to shit TV version). Your delicate sensibilities could not handle it.
View Quote

I have, AND LIKE, the movie: that was not broadcast TV.  That is the difference.  Hell, I thot Caligula was a good movie; that doesn't mean I'd want it broadcast in primetime.
View Quote

lol. IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN.

Why you butt hurt? The man who played the General with the scar got that scar escaping the Nazis. The actor who played Lebaue was in the French Resistance. If they didn't care you are like a liberal complaining about stare rape if it bothers you.

Get over it. I bet your a blast in person.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:24:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Lighten up Francis.

ETA:  Or... per-haps vee can find you a nice warm posting on zee Eastern Front!

View Quote

"Klink you idiot."
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:29:18 AM EDT
[#50]
about 3% of American prisoners died in German captivity

about 35% of American prisoners held by the Japanese died in captivity

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top