Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/22/2015 1:51:20 PM EDT
Busted my knee two weeks back, MRI yesterday, results today and BOOM... torn ACL

My Doc recommends three days of PT a week for four weeks and depending on how my knee reacts moving on from there.

My gut feeling is that my knee is FUBAR and that going in and fixing it now is the best plan of action.

My job is fairly demanding - stepping in and out of a high truck 15O-18O times a day usually carrying heavy shit. I feel like having more issues is a when not if scenario and I'd like to nip this shit in the bud now. Not two, ten or twenty years from now.

What say ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that the advice of your doctor is probably better than that given on a gun message board forum.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to Physical Therapy ;-)
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure where you are in FL but there's an Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Everyone I know that has been in a similar situation ended up having the surgery to repair it anyway.  2 of the 3 were workers comp claims so it is no wonder they wanted to try the less expensive option first.  Same path was recommended for my wife's shoulder and she ended up doing more damage at PT than good.  We went to another doc after her first two weeks of PT and he was shocked that they didn't go with corrective surgery as the first option.    

I would recommend a second opinion by another doc.  You know the old saying about your gut, trust it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that the advice of your doctor is probably better than that given on a gun message board forum.
View Quote

Yeah but this is GD

I feel like any good doc. he's milking my every cent he can out of my insurance.

It's been three appointments already just to get to this point
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not sure where you are in FL but there's an Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze.
View Quote

Thanks but I'm a good 65O miles from Gulf Breeze
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Everyone I know that has been in a similar situation ended up having the surgery to repair it anyway.  2 of the 3 were workers comp claims so it is no wonder they wanted to try the less expensive option first.  Same path was recommended for my wife's shoulder and she ended up doing more damage at PT than good.  We went to another doc after her first two weeks of PT and he was shocked that they didn't go with corrective surgery as the first option.    

I would recommend a second opinion by another doc.  You know the old saying about your gut, trust it.
View Quote

ACL's can generally be treated conservatively with success unless you are talking a grade 3.  Not only have I rehabbed many grade 1 and 2 ACL's, I had a grade 2 myself in my basketball playing days that was rehabbed conservatively with success.

And what was the issue with the shoulder?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe go to another DOCTOR for a second opinion and not a gun forum?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#9]
My mother is a doctor and always said "Whatever you were doing when you got hurt... don't do that"
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Completely tore my right acl at 22yo playing soccer. I spent the summer learning how to stand walk run sit again.
Surgery was ok the rehab was a nightmare.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Put a staple in it and walk it off.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right because it's a stretch to think that a forum with 4OOk members might have one or two folks with some experience with bum knees.

I'm not asking for anyone to slice me up in their family room
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We're going to have to put you down.  I'm so sorry.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

What say ARFCOM?

I knew it.

Who wants dibs?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I knew it.

Who wants dibs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

What say ARFCOM?

I knew it.

Who wants dibs?

Me (if you have good shit)
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Glad I had the surgery, despite how my knee looked like afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#17]
My doc told me I had two choices.  Change my lifestyle to suit my knee or change my knee to suit my lifestyle.

I chose the latter but it was over 20 years ago and much has changed since then.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Get it fixed. I went years trying to get by.
Get the surgery.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Reason for doing therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and to get as close to 100% mobility as possible. Do that before surgery and
your recovery and therapy will be a whole lot better. I had ACL reconstruction surgery and it sucks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Destroyed my knee at work a month ago, I go in Tuesday for left ACL replacement surgery. Your age and pre-injury physical activity schedule will help determine which way the doc goes from what I gather. I'm 47 and the doc would have been content to go the physical therapy route first. It might have worked since it is a month post injury and I can walk fine, pain free,  with a fractured tibia/fibia, complete acl tear, partial mcl tear and inner complex meniscus tear. But, I would have had physical restrictions the rest of my life. Not having the surgery means that I would never get back to the physical activities I did before of backpacking, mountain climbing, or even the physical; nature of my work, so I opted to just get the surgery first.  I luckily got a good surgeon, former NFL and NHL team doc who still does sports medicine. Sounds like you need to talk with the surgeon again. Note that if your ACL is not a complete tear, you may be ok with just the physical therapy. The ACL that went on me was a partial tear I found out 20 years ago in a previous knee surgery and it lasted this long with no issues in that knee.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Reason for doing therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and to get as close to 100% mobility as possible. Do that before surgery andyour recovery and therapy will be a whole lot better. I had ACL reconstruction surgery and it sucks.
View Quote

Makes sense. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Listen to your Dr. See if PT has any effect. I've had slight tears in both knees during high school, PT is all I needed. Completely blew my ACL out 15 yrs ago, surgery was the only option for that one. Believe me you will know if it is completely blown (heard it ), can't walk, etc. Surgery was a breeze, rehab was a bitch. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I might get an opinion from an ortho doc if you haven't.  My son tore his last November, finally had an MRI about 2 months ago, and had the surgery to repair his ACL and meniscus about a month ago.  He tore the outer ACL off of the femur.  It's been about 6 weeks since the surgery, and he's almost walking without a limp now.  Almost has it fully straightened out.  

Pretty cool surgery, he took a ligament (tendon?) from his hamstring and replaced the one he tore.  Only took about 1-1/2 hours.  

His surgeon (who also did my wife's rotator cuff and daughter's knee) said that since he's young and active, he recommends the surgery.  But if it were me (almost 50), he probably wouldn't.  So a lot depends on how active you are.  Said he'll be back to 100% in 6 months.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Destroyed my knee at work a month ago, I go in Tuesday for left ACL replacement surgery. Your age and pre-injury physical activity schedule will help determine which way the doc goes from what I gather. I'm 47 and the doc would have been content to go the physical therapy route first. It might have worked since it is a month post injury and I can walk fine, pain free,  with a fractured tibia/fibia, complete acl tear, partial mcl tear and inner complex meniscus tear. But, I would have had physical restrictions the rest of my life. Not having the surgery means that I would never get back to the physical activities I did before of backpacking, mountain climbing, or even the physical; nature of my work, so I opted to just get the surgery first.  I luckily got a good surgeon, former NFL and NHL team doc who still does sports medicine. Sounds like you need to talk with the surgeon again. Note that if your ACL is not a complete tear, you may be ok with just the physical therapy. The ACL that went on me was a partial tear I found out 20 years ago in a previous knee surgery and it lasted this long with no issues in that knee.
View Quote

That's my main concern. At 32 yrs. old my legs/knees still have a lot of weight to carry.

I planned on jumping in and out of package cars for 23 more yrs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Completely tore my right acl at 22yo playing soccer. I spent the summer learning how to stand walk run sit again.
Good luck.
View Quote

This. I was 22 also and playing basketball. After 12 years, the knee is still solid and I'm in better shape that when I tore it and I've beat the crap out of it (weights, running, races like Tough Mudder).
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#26]
From my own research, the data on the success of ACL surgery vs. rehab is very mixed and controversial. Several studies have shown that sham surgeries and actual surgeries produced about the same results.

I also have a lot of personal experience, having torn the ACL (and medial meniscus) 3 times in my left knee and had surgery 3 times.

I honestly doubt it will hurt you to try the PT and see if you notice any improvement. Even if you did some 'further damage', it wouldn't be anything they can't clean up during a surgery.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This. I was 22 also and playing basketball. After 12 years, the knee is still solid and I'm in better shape that when I tore it and I've beat the crap out of it (weights, running, races like Tough Mudder).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck.

I should mention that this isn't my first incident with this knee. I hurt it in high school but it wasn't nearly as bad and the doc said it was just a cartilage issue back then.

My current doc mentioned that I might have injured the ACL back then too but there's no way to tell.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I should mention that this isn't my first incident with this knee. I hurt it in high school but it wasn't nearly as bad and the doc said it was just a cartilage issue back then.

My current doc mentioned that I might have injured the ACL back then too but there's no way to tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck.

I partially tore my ACL and then finished it off playing basketball. Had the surgery in 2003. At the time, I had the option of choosing the hamstring or patella tendon option. I went with B.

Nowadays, I think they use a cadaver which is a better option.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That's my main concern. At 32 yrs. old my legs/knees still have a lot of weight to carry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I snapped mine in half at 40. That knee is stable and good outside of arthritis now at 51. If you expect to climb in and out

of a truck you're going to want a stable knee. If your ACL is gone then surgery is the only way I know to get that stability back.

Good luck. Do what the Orthopedic Doc says and you'll be good to go. They see a ton of ACL injuries.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry to hear it OP. I did the same thing and it's never been anywhere near the same. I found out yesterday I'm going back under the knife a third time in the last 18 months to cut out even more scar tissue.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I partially tore my ACL and then finished it off playing basketball. Had the surgery in 2003. At the time, I had the option of choosing the hamstring or patella tendon option. I went with B.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck.

I did the same thing and agree with your conclusion.

The idea of weakening part of your body (theoretically temporarily) to fix another just doesn't really make sense to me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

ACL's can generally be treated conservatively with success unless you are talking a grade 3.  Not only have I rehabbed many grade 1 and 2 ACL's, I had a grade 2 myself in my basketball playing days that was rehabbed conservatively with success.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  As long as it's not a complete tear and you look after properly it you should be okay.

Light PT and daily ice help.  Blood flow and promoting healing is your goal, not muscle mass.  An exercise bike is good for this.  A brace while walking/working at first can help, but don't use it too long.

And for the love of Christ no twisting jerking motions.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Right because it's a stretch to think that a forum with 4OOk members might have one or two folks with some experience with bum knees.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In that case I'm outta here

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#34]
It only gets worse with age.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Go to they gym and do some heavy squats. Squats cure everything.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I used to work under Andrews.  In short, yes, get the muscles around your knee joint built up as much as possible so that you are in better shape for the post-op rehab.  Do not forget to exercise your other leg as one of my college teammates tore one ACL in his first snap in his first game, went under the knife and rehabbed, he was cleared, then his first snap in his next game he tore his other one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I tore my ACL 8-9 years ago, when I was 31-32.  About 7 years ago I went in for surgery to clean up the meniscus and remove the ACL that was flapping around my knee.  It would lock my knee every once in a while.  I have been without my ACL for a long time and have done a lot of physical things like dragging a deer out of the woods and hiking.  I did not go for ACL reconstructive surgery because I could not take any extra time from work for rehab.  But, my advice would be to get the surgery to repair the ACL.  I do worry about my knee.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I tore my ACL last May, right before i moved from CO to AK. I was working out, and trying to run some (part of my meniscus was shot too, and it kept me from being able to fully extend my knee).  When I finally had surgery (ACL reconstruction with a dead guy replacement, and cleaning up the meniscus), I was in pretty good shape.  I actually deadlifted 400 pounds for the first time the day before surgery.  I was up and walking on crutches within 3 days, off narcotics in 4, and began rehab a week or two later.  Taking rehab serious is the quickest way to recover.  I'm just under 6 months from surgery and I have recently run 3.5 miles, and actually improved my deadlift to 415 pounds about a month ago.  I won't squat below 90 degrees for a while still, and I am limited in lateral movement for a few more months.  But I should be cleared for anything I want to do by 9 months, and plan on celebrating by doing a Spartan race in October.  I briefly considered not getting the reconstruction done, but I wasn't ready to give up an active lifestyle, or being able to ski with my kids for their first time, etc.  It's going to be tough climbing in and out of a truck for a while though.  Be sure to bring that up with your doctor, let him/her know what functionality you need.  They should be able to give you a good idea of how long you'll be out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Go to Physical Therapy ;-)
View Quote

Can't stress this enough.  When I tore my MCL many moons ago I thought I could do all that crap myself.  Then I started doing too much and boom, surgery baby.

Just follow you doc's advice and do the physical therapy and do it the RIGHT way.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Fuck that. Get surgery. PT as a treatment modality for torn tendons is for old people and fat fucks. People that are active, young, sports, demanding job need to have surgery. Most of the reason they recommend PT is to satisfy insurance companies and to make physical therapists money. PT after surgery is great. As a substitute... Not so much.

<---- 3x bad shoulder tears, and a bad back treated conservatively with PT that I just got referred out to a surgeon yesterday after being in pain and fucking with it for a year.

Waste of time if you ask me
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#42]
On March 11 I fractured my knee cap, chipped a peice of bone off it, and tore a tendon apart. Chipped another peice off hobbling on crutches before the surgery. I have three more visits to physical therapy left before I'll be cleared to do anything I want. You"ll get better, it really sucks right now. And if you go through surgery there are gonna be times where it feels like your whole life is laying in bed trying not to disturb your leg. But it gets better, and a couple months from now it'll be a conversation peice and a small scar.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Good luck.
View Quote

Add in a torn meniscus and I went through the same thing when I was 16. I didn't set aside the cane until almost a year after the accident that caused all the damage. Granted, surgery is more precise than it was in the mid-80s, but I was also a younger.... And thinner, guy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Get surgery ASAP.  Buddy had a torn ACL from our time in the Army.  They waited 7 years to do his surgery...their decision...not his.  He was in constant pain.  Now, he's G2G.  Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Not sure if you mentioned if your doc is an ortho guy or not but get to an ortho, a knee specialist first thing you can.

I tore my ACL in my left knee.

DId two weeks of PT before surgery, lots of ice trying to get the swelling down.

Had the hamstring graft surgery.

At the 3 month mark, you will feel great but the rebuilt ACL will actually be at the weakest points.
At the 6 month mark, you will feel back to normal
About a year post op,the knee was rock solid.

If you have big strong hamstrings already, go with the hamstring graft. If you don't, the cadaver is a better option as the damage to your hamstring will be too severe (that's what happened to me)

if i had to do it again, i'd go cadaver.

Very few people can survive without an attached ACL.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Wut yu needz iz one-a dem dere X-O skeltons.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Get it fixed. I went years trying to get by.
Get the surgery.
View Quote

The first knee doctor, that did my MCL, micro fracturing, and lateral release missed the fact that my ACL and oblique were also torn. It did a metric fuck ton of damage while I lived with it.

Get the surgery and recover well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

AGREED But seriously, if you dont need to have it done surgically then dont just yet. I had to have it done and it was very necessary but depending on the porcedure you could be looking at 6 weeks downtime and it was nearly a year before I got most of the strength back in my hamstring and 18 months before I was allowed to run again.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#49]
If you do have ACL surgery, may I suggest you get a cadaver muscle instead of them taking out part of your hamstring? They took out part of my hamstring and I frequently get cramps now. I'm not sure if it's because part of the hamstring was removed, but that didn't happen til after the procedure. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#50]
I've had the same ACL fixed twice now. I had a cadaver graft the first time and blew it out 3 years later. This time I had a patellar tedon graft and the rehab was much more difficult but that graft is supposedly 150% stronger than cadaver grafts. Get it done, give 100% in physical therapy, and you'll be back to life in no time. I did 4 months and 4 days from surgery to being back on the line as a firefighter this go around.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top