BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stealth traffic enforcement shows that it really is about the revenue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not a fan of unmarked traffic squads.

I don't like these either.

The whole purpose is to have visibility so people obey traffic laws without having to stop them.

The idea of using unmarked or "low profile" cars to enforce traffic is just counter productive. But that's my opinion and I'm not the decider. But I won't drive one.

That is it... its all about the benjamins!

Yearly bonus is based on amount of tickets written.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

A light bar on the roof lets people know without question that the car behind them is actually a police car.  Inside headliner bars are not suitable substitutes.

Furthermore I question the total cost of ownership since a roof mounted lightbar can be put on a new body style with a couple of cheap brackets while headliner bars are much more specific to a body style limiting their ability to be reused.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cars doing traffic stops should at the very least have a full size light bar on the roof.  

Not worth the cost anymore.

A light bar on the roof lets people know without question that the car behind them is actually a police car.  Inside headliner bars are not suitable substitutes.

Furthermore I question the total cost of ownership since a roof mounted lightbar can be put on a new body style with a couple of cheap brackets while headliner bars are much more specific to a body style limiting their ability to be reused.

I agree, I'm not pulling over for someone just with lights on a random car..... at least not at some isolated located..... Just wait until some guy starts pulling women using his "fake" ghost car.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
All for it.  People who drive at excessive speed, tailgate like a motherfucker at excessive speed, and generally drive like a dumbass need all the fucking
encouragement they can get not to drive like a douchebag.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
NJSP were usually pretty reasonable...at least to me.

That said it was every township that had a blacked out unmarked mid-1990s Caprice or Crown Vic waiting to nail you when I lived there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]
When I lived in Rochester there was a NYSP LS1 Camaro.  Similar to the pic.

He would cruise up and down 90 at normal speeds, baiting people to fly by to entice him to race.

He also would take it to Autocross events and race it every so often.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh sweet! They've got ghost cars, next they'll need to get black ghost uniforms to match those ghost cars. Then it'll only be a matter of time until they're all issued ghost guns to go with their new ghost uniforms and cars.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Fairfax County has/had a Nissan GT-R. I also see a marked BMW from time to time as well.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Phoenix used to have all sorts of weird shit when I was there 2004-2006.

Have seen people pulled over by an Escalade and older lifted K5 Blazer's on I-10
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole purpose is to have visibility so people obey traffic laws without having to stop them.

The idea of using unmarked or "low profile" cars to enforce traffic is just counter productive. But that's my opinion and I'm not the decider. But I won't drive one.

I get a kick out of the "OMG REVENUE$$&$" dipshits.

It really shows who knows what they are talking about. Like we get a bonus... LOL.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn't realize how many undercover cops we had until recently.

I don't know what went down, but the convoy included unmarked cop cars, farm trucks and a lowrider pickup truck. The lowrider sounded pretty cool with the deep exhaust tone and sirens.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Not a problem for real drivers, Caprices are not available to non government agencies.

That makes them stick out by themselves.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It really shows who knows what they are talking about. Like we get a bonus... LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it wasn't about revenue, cops around here would pull over people for other bad driving things, like tailgaiting.

It's never that.  It's ALWAYS speeding.  That's the only thing they care about.  They could give a fuck if someone is sitting in the left lane holding up traffic (against the law in CO).  They could give a fuck about people who cut others off.  They can't be bothered about that stuff.

SO yes, IMHO, it IS revenuing.  If it wasn't revenuing, the hwy would operate much smoother than it does, because these things that actually impact traffic flow would cease.  Speeding....not a huge problem unless it's 15+ over the limit.  Going too slow is just as dangerous.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell, not traffic but dope.
We'd use a seized car the rest of the night to make buys before we turned it in. Happened all the time 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
A couple of years ago NJSP were running an unmarked Charger with the spoiler & For Sale signs in the back side windows. Talk about stealth.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#17]
All in the name of safety of course.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Depends on your state's laws.  For instance, in Ohio, a police officer who is in an unmarked vehicle is incompetent to testify in a traffic case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does this skirt some kind of legislation? Like something about unmarked cars not being able to do traffic enforcement or something?

Depends on your state's laws.  For instance, in Ohio, a police officer who is in an unmarked vehicle is incompetent to testify in a traffic case.

4549.13 Marking and equipment for motor vehicle used by traffic enforcement officers.

Any motor vehicle used by a member of the state highway patrol or by any other peace officer, while said officer is on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state, provided the offense is punishable as a misdemeanor, shall be marked in some distinctive manner or color and shall be equipped with, but need not necessarily have in operation at all times, at least one flashing, oscillating, or rotating colored light mounted outside on top of the vehicle. The superintendent of the state highway patrol shall specify what constitutes such a distinctive marking or color for the state highway patrol.

4549.14 Incompetency of officer as witness.

Any officer arresting, or participating or assisting in the arrest of, a person charged with violating the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state, provided the offense is punishable as a misdemeanor, such officer being on duty exclusively or for the main purpose of enforcing such laws, is incompetent to testify as a witness in any prosecution against such arrested person if such officer at the time of the arrest was using a motor vehicle not marked in accordance with section 4549.13 of the Revised Code.

I like living in a free state.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cars doing traffic stops should at the very least have a full size light bar on the roof.  

Not about cost..its about safety.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I agree, I'm not pulling over for someone just with lights on a random car..... at least not at some isolated located..... Just wait until some guy starts pulling women using his "fake" ghost car.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck at night.

Call 911 to verify it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#21]
We still have a 1999 Cherokee....still running.  Albeit for special details only (parade or towing traffic trailer...)
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Oh sweet! They've got ghost cars, next they'll need to get black ghost uniforms to match those ghost cars. Then it'll only be a matter of time until they're all issued ghost guns to go with their new ghost uniforms and cars.
View Quote

Cant wait.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unmarked car, empty road, blue flashing light...

Is it a cop?

Is it a BG who just bought a blue light and wants to rob you?

It should be against the law for unmarked police cars to do routine traffic stops, also good luck if you call 911 if they know if the car behind you is a Cop, HP, Sheriff, etc... because those guys are well known for cooperating with each other and sharing information
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If it wasn't about revenue, cops around here would pull over people for other bad driving things, like tailgaiting.

It's never that.  It's ALWAYS speeding.  That's the only thing they care about.  They could give a fuck if someone is sitting in the left lane holding up traffic (against the law in CO).  They could give a fuck about people who cut others off.  They can't be bothered about that stuff.

SO yes, IMHO, it IS revenuing.  If it wasn't revenuing, the hwy would operate much smoother than it does, because these things that actually impact traffic flow would cease.  Speeding....not a huge problem unless it's 15+ over the limit.  Going too slow is just as dangerous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sorry for your area then.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can get bright lights without the lightbar.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Next week we'll be reading a story about some woman driving a minivan that refused to pull over for one of these GHOST CARS for fear of being raped/killed & how the NJSP  were forced to Taze her when she finally stops!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You must not be familiar Connecticut. Or its state police. Or their fleet of vehicles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Between Virginia and Maryland I have seen everything from a moped to a garbage truck used this way.

The south has the monopoly on weird patrol cars.

You must not be familiar Connecticut. Or its state police. Or their fleet of vehicles.
Tell more? Because I've seen no more than 4 types of SP vehicles

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does this skirt some kind of legislation? Like something about unmarked cars not being able to do traffic enforcement or something?

4549.13 Marking and equipment for motor vehicle used by traffic enforcement officers.

Any motor vehicle used by a member of the state highway patrol or by any other peace officer, while said officer is on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state, provided the offense is punishable as a misdemeanor, shall be marked in some distinctive manner or color and shall be equipped with, but need not necessarily have in operation at all times, at least one flashing, oscillating, or rotating colored light mounted outside on top of the vehicle. The superintendent of the state highway patrol shall specify what constitutes such a distinctive marking or color for the state highway patrol.

4549.14 Incompetency of officer as witness.

Any officer arresting, or participating or assisting in the arrest of, a person charged with violating the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state, provided the offense is punishable as a misdemeanor, such officer being on duty exclusively or for the main purpose of enforcing such laws, is incompetent to testify as a witness in any prosecution against such arrested person if such officer at the time of the arrest was using a motor vehicle not marked in accordance with section 4549.13 of the Revised Code.

We're so free our Revised Code can call cops incompetent without getting a dose of hickory shampoo!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#29]
That's practically a flashing neon light compared to one of the local towns here.  You can't even see the lettering until you're almost perpendicular to the door.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Next week we'll be reading a story about some woman driving a minivan that refused to pull over for one of these GHOST CARS for fear of being raped/killed & how the NJSP  were forced to Taze her when she finally stops!
View Quote

Thankfully the NJSP doesnt carry tazers!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#31]
You never know what vehicle a cop has in it.  I remember a few years ago I pulled into a mall parking lot and the police were just arriving to chase a subject on foot.  A full-size old 1980's truck that looked like it belonged on a farm pulled in front of me and stopped.  A plain clothes cop got out and ran towards the courtyard.  I looked inside and there was a radio installed and everything.  Fucking crazy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Between Virginia and Maryland I have seen everything from a moped to a garbage truck used this way.

The south has the monopoly on weird patrol cars.

I think you may be thinking of another state

Sedans and excursions only
We did use to have a few camaros. Gone now
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Good luck at night.

Call 911 to verify it.
View Quote

And what are they going to tell you?  Do they know what jurisdiction is starting the stop and what they are all doing?

Heck if you don't immediately pull over a fair number of arfcops will support whatever charges they decide to levy on the driver.
Ref
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

What made you think that the safety comment was only inclusive of the officers?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like the flatfoot pushing the car is making policy decisions of this nature. You do what you're told, that's it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And what are they going to tell you?  Do they know what jurisdiction is starting the stop and what they are all doing?

Heck if you don't immediately pull over a fair number of arfcops will support whatever charges they decide to levy on the driver.
Ref
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck at night.

Call 911 to verify it.

Ref

Unless its the state police, they will get in touch with the dispatcher for the area.

Happened the other night in fact. Turned out it was a NJSP.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ref
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck at night.

Call 911 to verify it.

Ref

It's what local PD use to justify using unmarked cars. "Call 911 if you're not sure the cop car behind you is a cop, and pull over to a well-lit area!"

My mom was tailed by an unmarked car outside of Moss Point, MS--local PD said it wasn't one of theirs, but could have been HP or Sheriff, but they couldn't reach either to confirm...

When she didn't pull over the car turned off its blue lights, and blazed off.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was a vague statement.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's what local PD use to justify using unmarked cars. "Call 911 if you're not sure the cop car behind you is a cop, and pull over to a well-lit area!"

My mom was tailed by an unmarked car outside of Moss Point, MS--local PD said it wasn't one of theirs, but could have been HP or Sheriff, but they couldn't reach either to confirm...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck at night.

Call 911 to verify it.

Ref

Blue lights only?

That would be a whacker here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Drive along I-75 through the south to middle of Georgia and you'll see several different variations of this parked under bridges and along onramps.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Drive along I-75 through the south to middle of Georgia and you'll see several different variations of this parked under bridges and along onramps.  

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7198/6979400219_aa66a2e82b.jpg
View Quote

Other than the light bat, nifty design.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Because it AIN'T about revenue
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Blue lights only?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck at night.

Call 911 to verify it.

Ref

Blue lights only?

Yeah, it's not hard to get an old black Charger from cop auctions and buy some blue lights for it.

Drug runners use them to hit each other on all the coastal highways around LA, MS, AL, and FL.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Christmas bonus!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's not hard to get an old black Charger from cop auctions and buy some blue lights for it.

Drug runners use them to hit each other on all the coastal highways around LA, MS, AL, and FL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck at night.

Call 911 to verify it.

Ref

Blue lights only?

Same could be said for any vehicle with lights  on at night.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Christmas bonus!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christmas bonus!

So I'll ask again:  Why do this?

As many folks have said there's no shortage of people to pull over in a fully marked car so I'm not seeing the value in changing from something that works.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Three-spoke wheels, holy flashback -- I spent most of the summer of... shit, maybe '91 and '92 installing those things on every beater that could roll into the shop and qualify for financing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A local PD around here once seized a BMW from a drug dealer. They promptly had it painted up like a regular patrol car and slapped a light bar on it. I think the. DARE cops drove it around. The did the same thing with one of those Excalliber kit cars as well.

My department did that back in the '90s when they seized some street racer's cars.

http://i.imgur.com/VwrMxSu.jpg

Three-spoke wheels, holy flashback -- I spent most of the summer of... shit, maybe '91 and '92 installing those things on every beater that could roll into the shop and qualify for financing.

Yep, reminds me of high school.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is about making money, not spending it, pay attention.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

As many folks have said there's no shortage of people to pull over in a fully marked car so I'm not seeing the value in changing from something that works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christmas bonus!

Perhaps thats the case in their neck of the woods.

Or its selective enforcement.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That's practically a flashing neon light compared to one of the local towns here.  You can't even see the lettering until you're almost perpendicular to the door.
http://policecararchives.org/south_carolina/greenville_images/cnpca18551-vi.jpg
View Quote

Same around here.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top