Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2015 6:29:54 PM EDT
I've been searching for awhile and finally found the PSL I wanted last week, it showed up today. The ergonomics are weird and it will take some getting used to for sure. I plan on doing some hand loads for it and testing it out over the long weekend.

Some pictures of the gun, I also found it strange that the mags are serialized to the gun.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
that's some clean brass...
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Be prepared to hunt your brass down. The PSL had a violent ejection and launches brass about 20ft.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Lucky...

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be prepared to hunt your brass down. The PSL had a violent ejection and launches brass about 20ft.
View Quote

I'm working on drilling the gas block now to install a set screw with a whole drilled in it to limit the gas going thru the gun. I'm also installing a recoil buffer as I've been told the heavier loads will beat the receiver up. I usually lay a tarp on the ground next to my shooting bench so hopefully I don't lose any brass.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#6]
My son was glad when he sold his

and picked up this M1A EBR.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Great looking M1A, I have a Socom II. The PSL interests me because I've never messed with one, I've been told and read all of the PSL's pros and cons. I'm looking forward to a challenge.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice. I like the PSL - wish I'd picked one up when they were more widely available.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Lucky you. The last time I had the money set aside for a new rifle none were available. I still want one.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]
If you get tired of it I'll take it I've always wanted one but I gotta get another G3 pattern first
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#11]
the mags are made/fit to match the rifle, hence the serial #'s.  feeding problems are not unheard of between mags fit for different rifles.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep, and keep an eye on the rear trunion to watch for evidence of the rifle beating itself apart.  Full charge loads with heavy bullets can cause the bolt carrier to contact the rear sharply.  Probably why they engineered it (lol) with the reinforcement at the rear.  

nice rifle, btw.

*edit - ah you got that covered.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nice rifle!

Do you have any pics of the serialized mags? I've never heard of that being done before.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Very nice rifle!

Do you have any pics of the serialized mags? I've never heard of that being done before.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s300.photobucket.com/user/rccox/media/Guns/PSL/D8E20C46-CF8D-49F5-AC7C-79FCB97EB87C.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/Guns/PSL/D8E20C46-CF8D-49F5-AC7C-79FCB97EB87C.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice rifle!

<a href="http://s300.photobucket.com/user/rccox/media/Guns/PSL/D8E20C46-CF8D-49F5-AC7C-79FCB97EB87C.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/Guns/PSL/D8E20C46-CF8D-49F5-AC7C-79FCB97EB87C.jpg</a>

Thanks, that's interesting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#16]
This is probably one of my biggest gun regrets, not getting one of these when they were cheap. Back then they were mid 500s... but I was in high school and that was a LOT of money to me then.

Now I'd buy tons at that price...
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Every time I see one of those, I always think of this video of the barrel flapping away after each shot.
https://youtu.be/ozyw84Swmb4
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll have to look and see if mine are serialized.  A better stock will help the ergo's on these.

And better optics don't hurt either
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Very nice. You have a Cugir factory built rifle. Way more desirable than the TGI assembled "FPK" rifles built stateside.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#20]
what are you using for powder? and a starting weight?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
what are you using for powder? and a starting weight?
View Quote

I'm planning to use H4895 powder. Will most likely start in the 40-42 grain area.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#22]
thanx
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I will work the powder up until I get the bullet speed in the 2600-2700 FPS area and hopefully accurate at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Word in the streets is "light ball only"!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Since its basically an AK, did you have to get an extra large trash can for storage?

Seriously, they are good rifles. Neighbour had one and its was accurate, more than I expected. I was saving up for one but found an FAL I really needed so I never got one. Still on my want list but cash flow is low.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Since its basically an AK, did you have to get an extra large trash can for storage?

Seriously, they are good rifles. Neighbour had one and its was accurate, more than I expected. I was saving up for one but found an FAL I really needed so I never got one. Still on my want list but cash flow is low.
View Quote

They aren't AKs. The PSLs are actually based on the RPK. I guess they're similar enough, but you could probably get away with a recycling bin.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Cool looking guns but I could never get one not to string rounds vertically after a mag.  One was so bad it strung rounds vertically over 16" above zero at 100 yards
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Not a bad combo at all, when you factor in the amount of cash you'll have to spend to get something that does the same thing.

It's a slow-fire rig. The 8x upgrade scopes are the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They aren't AKs. The PSLs are actually based on the RPK. I guess they're similar enough, but you could probably get away with a recycling bin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AK on steroids is what I always called mine.

The first time I took mine to my range it went full auto on me. I put a new G2 trigger group in it and it was fine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Run an AK recoil buffer in it, your rear trunnion will thank you. Fun rifle and yes, the ergos suck on it.
Take a look here, lower right corner: http://www.bptacticalservices.com/Pictures.html
I stretched the LOP while keeping the factory look, widened, palm swelled and finger grooved the grip section.
It really made a huge difference in the feel and way it shot.
Cleaned up the trigger too, that helped heaps.
Keep in mind it will never be an accuracy monster, they aren't built for it. Rumor has it free floating the handguards is alleged to help, I never found out as I traded it for a Colt Delta Gold Cup.
I almost wish I hadn't traded it off.
Fun rifle.
Oh and that 7.62 x 54R sure echos neat in a box canyon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Great looking M1A, I have a Socom II. The PSL interests me because I've never messed with one, I've been told and read all of the PSL's pros and cons. I'm looking forward to a challenge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

with wolf 148grain i avg 2moa if i do my part.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I love mine.

would I take it to battle?

No, but it is minute of man at 200yds
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I love mine.

View Quote

I'm hoping for something slightly better. I will report back soon.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice rifle!

Yeah- that's a very "European" habit. Matching the mags to the gun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love mine.

with reloads it should be possable.

I have seen good write ups with guys cutting the barrel down to reduce whip. And this (in their mind) help as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have seen good write ups with guys cutting the barrel down to reduce whip. And this (in their mind) help as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love mine.

I'm hoping to avoid shortening the barrel so I can maintain the look of the original gun. I have a friend with w slo-mo camera, I'm hoping I can get them to film the shoot to see how bad the "whip" is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top