Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/19/2015 9:32:49 PM EDT
Gonna do the home schooling thing. Our public school went to this "charter school" bs. What's the best curriculum? One kid is going to be in the 8th grade and she is super smart. My son is going into the 6th grade and he's smart but he doesn't care enough to try. Discuss.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope you're a good teacher. Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#2]

ETA: I did not discuss, so here we go. Good on you for taking responsibility for the training of your own children. Too many people hand this responsibility over to bureaucrats, then wonder why their kids are turning out the way they're turning out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
they have schools in your state?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait, a charter school is worse than a government school?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I want to know as well!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#6]
What's the problem with charter schools?

Arizona opened up charter schools to receive public school funds and now they've got more teachers per student, higher test scores, and actual competition with the public school sector.

Competition FTMFW.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I personally havent been around them but all my in laws that live down south go on and on about how good they are.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is going to private school next year.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
What sucks is that you will still be paying for the government school and the home school curriculum.

I pay about $3500 for my grand daughter to go to a little Christian school and it's worth every dime of it.  I know that's a very low rate for a private school but it chaps my ass that I still have to pay for the public schools too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#10]
In before the "home school kids are socially stunted and maladjusted"...
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm making the switch to private for mine.

I should have done it already but....  I listened to the other parent.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]

I wish everyone would pull their kids out of public school

My kids are so much better adults by not being tainted by the cesspool
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#13]
best friend was home schooled through 10th  grade and is now a vascular surgeon.... now socially he was a bit behind in college at least when he first got there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

In Ohio, at least, they have proven themselves to be.

http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/87-percent-ohios-charter-schools-fail-meet-
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wish everyone would pull their kids out of public school

My kids are so much better adults by not being tainted by the cesspool
View Quote

Did y'all home school?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#16]
To be honest, nobody can explain to us wtf a charter school actually does. All I know is that numerous teachers are leaving, students are leaving, my daughter and her friend taught themselves in math this year. Then when they finished their stuff, they taught other students. Kids getting busted for drugs and drinking at school. They don't have homework or grades. My son is eleven years old and can barely read (my fault, I know). I'm gonna take this into my own hands like I should have done years ago.

ETA: I own my own business with my wife, so we can teach anytime.
We don't have any decent private schools around here.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I personally havent been around them but all my in laws that live down south go on and on about how good they are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No personal experience, but in my area (Buffalo), the public schools in the city itself are abhorrent. There are some exceptions, but for the most part public schools throughout the western new york area are very poor. The charter schools, however, seem to be doing fairly well with the limited gene pool they have to work with (mainly urban).

The kids have discipline, they wear uniforms, and occasionally even learn something. The charter schools look to be a fantastic opportunity for kids who do not have the means for private school education.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had experience with several people from home schools.

All were socially inept and maladjusted.

Some of them were smart cookies who could learn, others were uneducated twats with the usual "I was home schooled, I'm a special snow flake" attitude. Last time I was visited my college town she was still serving beers at the local bar, 4 years after I left.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No comment on the veracity of that article, but around here an 87% failure rate would be a huge improvement for the school system.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Good luck! As a professional educator it is sad to me when a parent feels the way you do. Some say those things and I think they are full of crap, but I know it is not always the case.

Try and get a good idea of the grade level expectations for each of your kids, so you can exceed them and not just teach stuff and go off on interesting tangents. (Not that those tangents aren't important, just don't forget the goal).
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

in philly they have lotteries to see if your kid gets into the charter school. they are way better than the government schools around here. we pay to send our kids to catholic school.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#23]
As far as the whole social thing, my daughter plays softball year around with different travel teams. My son and I race ATVs all around the country and meet new people and make new friends all the time, I own a auto repair shop and they both help out around there, so they are around new people every day. That argument is invalid for us.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No comment on the veracity of that article, but around here an 87% failure rate would be a huge improvement for the school system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't pick it carefully.  The poor performance of Ohio charters (as well as the basic theft of public funds) is pretty much a scandal here - to the point that even state-level Republicans are questioning the whole idea.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How long have you been counseling with the teachers themselves?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be honest, nobody can explain to us wtf a charter school actually does. All I know is that numerous teachers are leaving, students are leaving, my daughter and her friend taught themselves in math this year. Then when they finished their stuff, they taught other students. Kids getting busted for drugs and drinking at school. They don't have homework or grades. My son is eleven years old and can barely read (my fault, I know). I'm gonna take this into my own hands like I should have done years ago.

How long have you been counseling with the teachers themselves?

Pointless. They all say, "Your child is doing great, right where they need to be."

A few of them are great teachers. Most of them are complete loons. Why send my kids to a school for 8 hours, when they could be taught all the same stuff in two hours by me or my wife?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why send my kids to a school for 8 hours, when they could be taught all the same stuff in two hours by me or my wife?
View Quote

Took you 14 years to figure it out?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Whenever I hear of someone home schooling I think of my crazy bible-beating aunt who hears the voice of God and won't shut up about Jesus.

I'm sure you're not like her though, OP. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Good move
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Some of them were smart cookies who could learn, others were uneducated twats with the usual "I was home schooled, I'm a special snow flake" attitude. Last time I was visited my college town she was still serving beers at the local bar, 4 years after I left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked with a guy who was home schooled through high school IIRC. He graduated top of his class in college at the age of 18. I was 26 and he was 24 and the controller for a major aerospace corporation. He did very well for himself.

Other home schooled kids I have met have varied from cooky to ok.

As far as charter schools are concerned, think alternative education that still meets academic requirements. The reason they work here is they make learning fun by teaching kids about the world around them as well as academics.

I have one child in special ed in public school and one child in private school. Both are in the right place for each of them. But then we live in a small town with excellent schools. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As far as the whole social thing, my daughter plays softball year around with different travel teams. My son and I race ATVs all around the country and meet new people and make new friends all the time, I own a auto repair shop and they both help out around there, so they are around new people every day. That argument is invalid for us.
View Quote

I hope your children are as well adjusted as you think they are, and don't have all the typical problems parents always refuse to see.

Spending 8-12 hours a day with other kids has a much different impact on development of social skills than spending a 2 hours a day with other kids.

Unfortunately we live in the real world, and that real world is a combination of credentials and social skills. That awkward kid that went to MIT is not going to get hired over the charmer who you can relate to, who talked to you about that last baseball game in the interview, that just happened to go to some 2nd tier school.

Where social development falls is really perspective, and very likely the perspective evaluating your kid will be from someone who went to a public school and is socially pretty "average".

It's not that kid will become "weird" or a shut in or anything like that, its that they will lag behind in developing core communication and social skills, like BSing, small talk, asking girls out on a date, giving a compliment, receiving criticism and acting appropriately, etc. It doesn't always happen to everyone, but homeschooling certainly drastically ups the odds that your kid will struggle. Book smarts wont get you far if you can't walk out of the house with pants on.

You might think your kid turns out fine, but it is highly unlikely they will same normal to peers their age if they do not have similar interactions to children their age for a large portion of the day. I encourage you to research this topic. The findings are typically home schooled kids are better at academics and worse at relating to people and interacting with others, and like it or not, that is a very serious trade off that has potential life long implications.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We don't have any decent private schools around here.
View Quote

Collect fees from the public sector  to provide students with FAPE in place traditional public schools. The idea is that the market will reward quality charter schools and that ineffective ones will flop.

Charter school companies have notoriously high turnover rates- often because of management style and related stresses. They also take in people who stand to benefit by leaving. In all fairness, there are a lot of public schools that have similar situations.

I attended the lowest ranked high school in Connecticut. There were kids who used illicit substances on campus. I student taught at one of the wealthiest, highest high schools in Connecticut, also one of the highest performing, with programming that rivaled many independent schools. There was (supposedly) almost as much illegal drug activity, if not more, and the kids seemed to have much more access to alcohol. The difference is that it wasn't talked about publicly and it was handled with greater discretion.  

Public or charter, should have had supports in place to help him improve his skills. Was he receiving any services (i.e. RTI / Tier II/III / remedial reading programs) What type of difficulties (fluency, comprehension, etc...?) What reading level is he on right now?  
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Had my kid in a charter school here in AR until 9th grade. It was like a private school, but without that pesky tuition.

What's your complaint/concern about charters, OP?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm paying $5k/year for elementary catholic school. It's decent. I looked up the cost of catholic high school. $13,500/year!

Our public schools are shit, 56% graduation rate. At what point do you tell the government they've fucked away too much money for crappy results. I'm saying I want a rebate for paying for private school.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good luck! As a professional educator it is sad to me when a parent feels the way you do. Some say those things and I think they are full of crap, but I know it is not always the case.

Try and get a good idea of the grade level expectations for each of your kids, so you can exceed them and not just teach stuff and go off on interesting tangents. (Not that those tangents aren't important, just don't forget the goal).
View Quote

My wife is a teacher and I was an SRO for 6 years. Yeah, some teachers need to get fired just like cops and every other occupation but for the most part most of the teachers I watched were busy as hell teaching. Most are conservative (grade school here folks, not college so don't go into convulsions). My wife is conservative, but heck ARFCOM is in the classroom everyday and knows my wife is a closet commie. From my experience it's the quality of the students that make a school good, not the other way around.  Of course it takes good teachers as well. But, you won't keep the good ones with shit students.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol it's written by the good people at "crooksandliars" so I don't see how it could be biased
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#40]
FYI none of it is cheap and they have programs for the PC now that grade their work. Switched on schoolhouse is a Christian based one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#41]
good choice.  the "concerns" about socialization are BS imo.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Question, I've been told that the military does not accept a home school diploma. If true what happens if you child wants to join?
Or is it just BS.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Had my kid in a charter school here in AR until 9th grade. It was like a private school, but without that pesky tuition.

What's your complaint/concern about charters, OP?
View Quote

Just like in this thread, nobody can really tell me what the hell it really does. A lot of talk about funding but no real explanation of what it means to the student. Let me sum it up, my daughter is not being challenged enough, my son is not learning as much as I think he should learn, so we are taking it into our own hands and doing it ourselves. I'm sure they are doing just fine when being compared with the average student there, but I want more for them than that. As I said, the social thing doesn't worry me in the least. They don't have to go to school to encounter shitheads of all flavors. World is full of em.j
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#44]
In before the govt takes OP's kids away.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Meh.. We all went to public schools and survived to be professional adults. While my kids attend public schools, actual teachings are done at home. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Charters are run like a business.  Still publicly funded but can lose their charter.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

ETA: I did not discuss, so here we go. Good on you for taking responsibility for the training of your own children. Too many people hand this responsibility over to bureaucrats, then wonder why their kids are turning out the way they're turning out.
View Quote

Good Parenting > Bad Schooling
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#49]
We have charter schools here. I'veheard nothing but good things about them. Most here have a waiting list and a lottery to get in. The libs absolutely HATE HATE HATE HATE them.  Basically they are a public school but hey create their own "charter" as o how the school will run. Most of the public school BS is left behind,  each charter school can focus on what it and the parents is what is important. They of course have to meet all the criteria of the public school system.

They have a good rep around here in NC.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I hope your children are as well adjusted as you think they are, and don't have all the typical problems parents always refuse to see.

Spending 8-12 hours a day with other kids has a much different impact on development of social skills than spending a 2 hours a day with other kids.

Unfortunately we live in the real world, and that real world is a combination of credentials and social skills. That awkward kid that went to MIT is not going to get hired over the charmer who you can relate to, who talked to you about that last baseball game in the interview, that just happened to go to some 2nd tier school.

Where social development falls is really perspective, and very likely the perspective evaluating your kid will be from someone who went to a public school and is socially pretty "average".

It's not that kid will become "weird" or a shut in or anything like that, its that they will lag behind in developing core communication and social skills, like BSing, small talk, asking girls out on a date, giving a compliment, receiving criticism and acting appropriately, etc. It doesn't always happen to everyone, but homeschooling certainly drastically ups the odds that your kid will struggle. Book smarts wont get you far if you can't walk out of the house with pants on.

You might think your kid turns out fine, but it is highly unlikely they will same normal to peers their age if they do not have similar interactions to children their age for a large portion of the day. I encourage you to research this topic. The findings are typically home schooled kids are better at academics and worse at relating to people and interacting with others, and like it or not, that is a very serious trade off that has potential life long implications.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The above is wisdom you should heed. Furthermore, I would say to have you and your wife do some self-reflection and see if you have the skills, patience, and time to commit to your kid's education. Most parents do not have that when it comes to academia but maybe you do. Whatever you choose to do, don't short-change your kid's education.

ETA: My wife is a public kindergarden teacher but started in a charter school. Some charter schools are great, some are crap. Most of the problem comes from parents that get on power trips that have no background in education and just think they know everything because they hated a public school for X,Y, or Z reasons. A bad charter school is like a bad HOA in the education business, but a good one is where everyone wants to be. If you go the charter route, do your research.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top