Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2015 6:29:18 PM EDT
Lot of bubba modded stuff but nothing severely rusty or pitted.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Lot of bubba modded stuff but nothing severely rusty or pitted.
View Quote

Erry' now and then a guy will bring one in that's so bad, the Polymer frame is rusted to a nice patina.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Old Remington Rand that was stuffed full of cosmoline.  Kid sold it because it wouldn't fire 100%.  Took 3 days to clean it up.  One side was left on a wet something or another and had tons of pitting but the other side looked perfect.    

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
my mom once bought a single shot 16 gauge from cabelas that had tons of black goo in the barrel, I had to clean it for her.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
That would be the one my brother found. When we lived in Fresno we were swimming at Millerton Lake, which was created when Friant Dam was built in 1942. Before that the town of Millerton (founded in 1856) was there, which is now at the bottom of the lake. He went down to the bottom (I'm not sure how deep it was where we were, maybe 12 feet or so) and pulled up a lever-action rifle. There wasn't much left of it, most of the metal had rusted away and what was left of the wood was barely a rotten stick.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Parker 12ga double barrel that has been in my family since at least 1892. It got put in the basement of my parents house when we moved to Georgia in 1995. I found it in 2004... It's rust has rust on top of the rust
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I once bought a 03-A3 that an elderly man had started a project on many years before. I bought it from his widow for $40.00. The gun was missing the bolt, and trigger. The barrel was cut down to 16.5" and it had a rough cut mannlicher style stock started. Everything was covered in a layer of rust. The one thing it had going for it was the receiver was good and it had never been drilled and taped for scope rings.

I decided to turn it into my own project and had turned into this.

Timney trigger, Douglas #4 barrel in 338-06, Stock shaped, and action glass bedded. Done old school w/ only iron sights.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Father in law found it by a river

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Man, that's a tough one.  There have been several that I've encountered over the years.  

There was an AMT .380 that my mom's boss brought ove that had ceased functioning.  Disassembly took 30 minutes with a makeshift punch (actually a pushrod from a V8 Chevy clad in thick rubber tool handle dip) to disassemble for cleaning and another couple of hours to get down to the actual pistol for the genuine cleaning.

There was a Hesse HK91 that took 4 hours to disassemble due to the amount of sludge built up in the action.  Removing the stock/recoil spring required several hours carefully beating the thing off with a pine board to buffer the hammer. (2 boards, actually, as I had to replace mid process).  Had to find an armory manuel so that I could get the rollers clear, and had to replace the firing pin.  The bore wasn't awful, but I swear some of the carbon in the carrier group was Nazi era!

Had a guy bring me an Iver Johnson .22lr baby 1911 that had had so many rounds through it that I had to fabricate a couple of linkage parts with a hand file.  Can't remember which ones, as this was twenty years ago.  Weapon was otherwise in beautiful shape.

Knew a guy when I was a kid who'd bought an old RG .22 revolver with a broken hand from some guy down by the rail yards (where you went to buy a gun when you weren't legally able to own one).  He had to index the cylinder with one hand and fire the thing with the other.  Had some wicked powder burns and lead shavings in his index hand.

My favorite, though, was an old Winchester lever gun.  It had belonged to a neighbor.  Some dirtbag stole it from him during a burglary, and had apparently used it in a crime and then dumped it into Lake Loveland.  Three or four years later, somebody "caught" it, and turned it in to the police.  My friend got it back with the bore completely clogged with rust, and everything else corroded to be damned.  We got it mostly back in order, but the bore was never worth shit after that.

There were probably more over the years that I can't remember.  People used to come to me to fix their shit because I was good at making stuff work.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The Sten I found in the crawl space of an apartment building a while back.

Gave it to the police. Sorry.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Dipshit let it get wet, then left it in the soft case for a year.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#12]

one of GD's finest, fucking hysterical!

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Untouched Martini Mk. II from IMA. Grime, muck, dirt, rust, wood rot, you name it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#14]
buddy brought me a 1892 manufactured WInchester '73 octagon barrel.

It had been stored in  a barn in Montana for well over a century and used occasionally to dispatch critters around the farm.

I managed to get it apart but it was well beyond my kitchen table gunsmith abilities to fix. Ended up selling it for him to a guy on armslist who eventually restored it and sent me a video of him shooting it. Kinda made me fell all warm and fuzzy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Ok...what's the story with this one?  Looks like a Glock, but I can't fathom how that happened.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Those back plates are hard to remove.

WTF happened?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#17]
My dads RR 1911, after I cleaned it up. It was in a safety deposit box for 10 years.

Glued fucking shut with that crap called WD40.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Guy gave me a Jimenez/Jennings .380 on which all the zinc/pot metal parts had corroded into lumps. On a Jimenez about the only things not zinc/pot metal are the slide and barrel. It was anonymously donated to a dumpster.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Ok...what's the story with this one?  Looks like a Glock, but I can't fathom how that happened.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

about 23rd post down!

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a used Glock 17 that was a used cop gun for just under $300 when the switch to .40 S&W switch occurred about 10 years ago....whoever owned it took the back off the slide & then took a brass brush to the nylon firing pin liner & left brass bristles & shredded nylon. If I wiggled the firing pin back & forth to fire, it would hang up at times.

I replaced everything, but dang! I would not have wanted to bet my life on it until it got unfucked.

I could have been fed a line--Bubba might have done it, but the dealer sent out a mass emailing advertising "hundreds of used police Glocks..." so, I think it was a copper's gun.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Step dad gave me an old pistol back in 2012. The pistol was made in the 90s it was an original Accutek AT-380. He had it all those years and never cleaned it, he was never all that into guns. Some rust had gotten on the barrel, slide and hammer as well as a rusty mag. I used fine steel wool and oils to eliminate most of the rust except for the mag which I just tossed and found a new one on eBay. I've put another 200 rounds through it and at some point the safety lever broke off just from shooting it. It jams every shot now I believe the slide to frame fit is off. I have another 60 or so rounds of .380 auto. I still have it somewhere actually bout ready to toss it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Gunshop I worked at in SE AK, we had a Winchester 1895 in .405 on the wall, it had been discovered on a beach on a local island.

It was cocked and had a round in the chamber, all the wood was missing, the mag tube was rusted away and the barrel was pretty much a hunk of rust.

Always wondered if a bear got the owner, the island it was found on had Big Brown Bears on it.
View Quote

Which island?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#23]
not really the same lines....but I was teaching a class the other day and had a student some how get a double feed and a round

above the bolt carrier inside the upper

pretty bad condition
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#24]
AK47.

New in box.
Junk.
All are junk.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Israeli mauser in 7.62, part of a buy 4 get one free deal. they were all rough, other buyers said they were "tomato stake" quality. one in the batch was really really bad. pitted to hell, a case stuck in the chamber, and a wooden rod coated in tar jammed all the way down the bore. the stock was "funky" too, looked like a 2x6 inletted by a drunk beaver. nearest i could figure, it was a drill or training rifle made out of a worn out k98.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#26]

About like this. It had been burried for god knows how long.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#27]
My dad's otherwise nice Winchester 94 sat in a safe for a long time without any type of dehumidifying method and has a bunch of tiny rust dots sprinkled throughout the bluing . Luckily they're really not visible unless you shine a flashlight onto the finish at an angle, but I still want to have it stripped and refinished some day.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#29]
1908 German Dreyse pistol.  Everything on it was seized up with rust and required some forceful persuasion to get it apart.  After blasting, a  little fluff and buff and reblue it runs like a champ. Neat one to bring back from the dead.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
1908 German Dreyse pistol.  Everything on it was seized up with rust and required some forceful persuasion to get it apart.  After blasting, a  little fluff and buff and reblue it runs like a champ. Neat one to bring back from the dead.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/xxxjedixxx/media/1_zpsfd08ec2f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/xxxjedixxx/1_zpsfd08ec2f.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/xxxjedixxx/media/2_zps83f76685.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/xxxjedixxx/2_zps83f76685.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/xxxjedixxx/media/4_zps6f0777a8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/xxxjedixxx/4_zps6f0777a8.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/xxxjedixxx/media/IMAG0797_zps7eef5819.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/xxxjedixxx/IMAG0797_zps7eef5819.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's amazing work man.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Found a J. Stevens Arms breach block 22lr in the trunk of an abandoned car. It was a rusted mess.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#33]
What's the story on the M14?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What's the story on the M14?
View Quote

Search my name, i made a redux thread last week.

Basically somebody left it in a flooded car trunk for 2 years. Cost me $66.

It will be a ebr in a week or two
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I once bought a 03-A3 that an elderly man had started a project on many years before. I bought it from his widow for $40.00. The gun was missing the bolt, and trigger. The barrel was cut down to 16.5" and it had a rough cut mannlicher style stock started. Everything was covered in a layer of rust. The one thing it had going for it was the receiver was good and it had never been drilled and taped for scope rings.

I decided to turn it into my own project and had turned into this.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/dthbox/Guns/101_0337.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/dthbox/Guns/101_0335.jpg

Timney trigger, Douglas #4 barrel in 338-06, Stock shaped, and action glass bedded. Done old school w/ only iron sights.
View Quote

Nice work, how's it shoot?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Back when I was the company armor at 1st Force Reconnaissance Company in Camp Pendleton, CA some 15 years back, we had a helo go down during a training mission off the coast of San Diego when attempting to land on the back of a boat. We lost 5 recon marines in that accident.  About a week later, I was brought a large container of the weapons that were pulled from the bottom of the bay, some of which had been on been on the deceased marines. A week in salt water had done good damage to them and in several instances, M4's and breaching 870's had been physically bent around the torsos of the marines carrying them at the time of the crash. I was asked to clean them up, which took me many weeks to complete. Those were the worst condition guns I've ever come across for many reasons.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#37]
H&R .22 revolver that was in a fire. I think one spring is barely hanging on and the bore and cylinder is heavily moderately rusted.

ETA:

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Matching numbers byf 44 P-38 in original holster for $50.00. Sounds great right?

Not so much.

It had been welded shut and the bore plugged.

It made a nice lamp though.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Guy gave me a Jimenez/Jennings .380 on which all the zinc/pot metal parts had corroded into lumps. On a Jimenez about the only things not zinc/pot metal are the slide and barrel. It was anonymously donated to a dumpster.
View Quote

Slide is zinc, barrel, grips, grip screws, springs and pins are not. Melted one years ago, still have what didn't melt.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Matching numbers byf 44 P-38 in original holster for $50.00. Sounds great right?

Not so much.

It had been welded shut and the bore plugged.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/r1cv9g.jpg

It made a nice lamp though.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/1zf1shv.jpg
View Quote

Now that's fucking cool. I want it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought an H&R 20 GA shotgun for next to nothing that had the striker & lifter assembly broken off.  Instead of replacing the part, the previous owners drilled a hole in the face of the hammer and put a screw in it.  Of course now the firing pin was sticking out whenever the hammer was closed, and it could slam fire when you closed the action.  I used it a few times and it shot well, but I held the hammer back each time I loaded a shell and closed it.

Eventually I replaced the following parts and it's back to being safe to use.  Looks pretty good except for some light wood wear.

427-501-202  S01202 HAMMER ASSEMBLY                    $7.29
427-501-279  S01279 FOREND SCREW                            $2.31
427-501-691  S01691 HAMMER SPRING                           $1.89
427-501-693  S01693 LIFTER SPRING                               $1.53
427-502-043  S02043 STRIKER & LIFTER ASSEMBLY      $8.71
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I bought a S&W Model 10, 4" pencil barrel that was badly rusted for $75.

It just so happened that one of my best friends had just bought a bluing tank. He cleaned it up and rebuled it.
You can tell that it was reblued but he did a great job on it. It looks very good.

At one time, I probably shot that gun more than anything else I owned. I have fired thousands if not 10s of thousands of rounds through it. I had the Dillon 550 working overtime back then.
The backstrap is engraved: RHKPD for Royal Hong Kong PD.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I once helped a widow liquidate her husband's gun collection - he had an old parlor gun leaning in the corner behind the basement toilet.  As you might imagine is was pretty much a block of rust.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm doing a sort of restoration on an '80s car and I get great satisfaction from cleaning rust and gunk off of moving parts, refinishing them, and getting them moving freely and smoothly again. I'd love to do the same with a rusty and cruddy gun someday, too. Something that will need work but still be usable afterward. Maybe I should start surfing the online auction sites.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#45]
When I was a property claims adjuster I had a claim with an older fellow whose house had burned to the ground.  On my second visit with him, he had managed to recover his guns from the ashes.  I stood with him as we looked in the bed of his pick up full of half melted rifles, shotguns and handguns.  I remember picking up a USGI 1911 that was half way melted.  It was pretty sad.  Wish I had some pics.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I've seen guns come in that were so bad we told the owner they couldn't ever be safely fired again. Some old German revolvers (that likely started life as starting/signal pistols before being converted to .22 stateside), a C96 that was rusted though the backstrap and the bottom of the action, and some poor Russian guns that had been bubba'd to the point they were unsafe.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#47]

You should come by and shoot it one day.....Works great!

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

WTF happened?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

WTF happened?
Look at my title and that will tell you all you need to know....That was me....I embrace my moment of being a dumbass. "I'm the baked the Glock guy"

Long story short it was a police trade in that was pretty worn and I tried to coat it.....Like a dummy I forgot just how much of the gun is plastic. The oven is an older one and well 250 ended up being more like 350 degrees and I melted the channel sleeve or whatever it's called. Another Arfcommer helped me out and cerakoted it and gave it brand new internals.....Runs like a champ now.

In my defense I coat guns all the time but they are usually all metal and next to no plastic (AK'S, FN'S etc)

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I can fix that p38. What do you want for it?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is really an unusual and cool gun.
Yeah, you did a great job in the restoration, but the gun itself is very cool.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top