BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Echo SRM225

Edit - owned several Stihl weed wackers, when they ran they ran great.  Although all of them hands down were the hardest to start.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have no doubt that some people can buy these things used and get a long fine.  If you've got the skills, you can easily fix them.  I have neither the skill, nor the time to buy a used weed eater and fix them myself.  I'm impressed by the guys that do though.
View Quote

Fair enough.  Your earlier comment seemed to imply that the only reason people sell a used trimmer is because it's "messed up" somehow.  While that may be, lots of people just don't need them anymore.  Mine have come from 1) guy who moved to town, didn't need big trimmer any more, 2) park department selling old equipment, 3) commercial lawn guy liquidating duplicates he owns, due to purchasing a competitor, 4) homeowner who was selling unit left to him by his parents.

Bring some fresh gas, have the seller fire 'em up, test 'em for 30 seconds or so, and you should know.  No different than buying anything else used, I guess.  Depends on your comfort level, financial situation, and what you value.  I started by looking at new units, until all the pros started talking about how great these particular models were.  So, I then started searching for them, used.  I didn't want to mess with a new 4 stroke unit (trimmers), or introduce a computer to my chainsaw (MS261).  And then my OCD kicked in, and I just started buying duplicates.  lol
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Hijack

I have Ryobi 18v cordless drill and saw so I have batteries on hand. I need to trim about 60ft of  fence for the home I rent.
Would this be acceptable?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Echo... able to switch the lower unit between string and a blade for brush. Always starts and runs great.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hijack

I have Ryobi 18v cordless drill and saw so I have batteries on hand. I need to trim about 60ft of  fence for the home I rent.

View Quote

Should get about 20 - 30 mins or so of light duty use per battery
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hijack

More than I need. I might buy this tonight. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]
honda
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
honda
View Quote

For a ditchline, not the mail box pole.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Echo ,three years old ,mows weeds and grass like Hillary Clinton eats young pussy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm happy with my Stihl FS 90.  I'd be even happier with a FS 120: larger diameter blade, cut bigger saplings.
View Quote

I love my FS 90.  I've only got 1\2 an acre so I think it is all I'll ever need.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#12]
First 4 replies, not necessarily in that order...
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Love my Stihl FS-90R. Had it for four years now. Starts every time and cuts through everything I've tried. I also bought the Kombi series pole saw attachment and the chainsaw head mounts right to the weed eater. I've cut 10"+ trees and branches down with that. Worth the money to me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for the Stihl FS90R.  We just moved to 3 acres from a city lot, and the corded weed whacker just won't cut it.  Picked this up to trim edges and slopes where the mower can't reach, as well as cut down branches and sticker bushes with the blade.  So far I love it, the only problem is the strap isn't quite long enough.  I'm pretty tall so I have to bend over a bit to cut the grass, luckily most of what I've been doing is trimming slopes and chopping down sticker bushes.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Gonna go with the FS90

thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep, FPNI
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stihl.

Yep, FPNI

Got a stihl 54 fs or fr 5 years ago and it's been awesome.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tired of burning out and replacing shitty ones.

Don't care if it's 2 or 4 cycle - if you prefer one over the other, I'd be interested in hearing why.

I spray poison for most of the trimming around the fences and house, but there is a lot of ditches that need loving too.
View Quote

echo.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Stihl, don't know the model but it's a mid sized model.  I use it pretty hard and it keeps on going.  6 plus years of summer cutting and still going strong.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe I have this one Stihl FS90R. It's either that one or the next one up.
I have the poll saw attachment, extension, and the larger of the hedge trimmer attachment.
It gets used a lot.
I also have a  FS90, that I hardly ever touch any more. I hate string trimmers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Stihl and 4-strokes are gay.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Stihl.
View Quote

FPNI
I have a Stihl Kombi system with the KM 130 engine. Serious balls on that bastard
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Thanks to this thread I just bought a Stihl FS 90 on Saturday.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Bought a 90r today.

Thanks to everyone for the help!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Great choice. I bought the 70r in April. Bought the oil with it and now have
the two year warranty.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I work for a local parks department and we have weedeater crews out 32-40 hours a week. I am impressed with the commercial grade RedMax trimmers.
View Quote

You see a lot of their blowers on professional crews too.

I do just fine with my Echo stuff though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I bought a 400 dollar shindaiwa? At auction for 40 bucks.  It still isn't running
View Quote

bought mine new 10++++yrs ago.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Echo....I have one and its great, also see all the lawn care crews out there using the same.

And came with a 5 year warranty.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I really like my Stihl Kombi K130R.  It is a beast.

Otherwise, one of the Stihl commercial models works too but don't go too big as you will just get tired and waste fuel for nothing.
View Quote

This, with the cythe attachment, just lays grass down instead of throwing it.  I hate picking grass out of the pool.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top