BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Uhhh...doesn't the near-absolute authority of the Aes Sedai (prior to the upheavels of the series) make that somewhat understandable?  Especially when it's revealed just how many wilders there are, and how powerful some of them can be?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:The biggest irritation for me was how all the men were cowed by a sharp glance and some braid tugging.   Kings and Sorcerers and a dirty look makes them shudder.  

I llok at like a big dog that is scared of an older little dog that used to whip its ass all the time as a puppy.  It is something deeply ingrained from their childhood/culture.

I could see that as an occasional thing, but Robert Jordan makes it a universal absolute phenomenon.  Every kingdom, town, village, and hamlet is secretly run by the local women's social circle.  Sometimes even by a neighboring social circle of women.  Nearly every man, whether king, stable hand, or farmer, is hen-pecked.

Uhhh...doesn't the near-absolute authority of the Aes Sedai (prior to the upheavels of the series) make that somewhat understandable?  Especially when it's revealed just how many wilders there are, and how powerful some of them can be?

I actually started re-reading the series before this thread.  Currently in the beginning of book 4.

As of this point:
1) there aren't that many wilders, or Aes Sedai for that matter.
2) only 1 in 4 women who learn to channel on their own survive the process
3) Aes Sedai had been declining in power since the Breaking, probably due to culling men who could channel from the population.

I fall on the side of folks that think all of the men are irrationally henpecked by the women.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I actually started re-reading the series before this thread.  Currently in the beginning of book 4.

As of this point:
3) Aes Sedai had been declining in power since the Breaking, probably due to culling men who could channel from the population.

I fall on the side of folks that think all of the men are irrationally henpecked by the women.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:The biggest irritation for me was how all the men were cowed by a sharp glance and some braid tugging.   Kings and Sorcerers and a dirty look makes them shudder.  

I llok at like a big dog that is scared of an older little dog that used to whip its ass all the time as a puppy.  It is something deeply ingrained from their childhood/culture.

I could see that as an occasional thing, but Robert Jordan makes it a universal absolute phenomenon.  Every kingdom, town, village, and hamlet is secretly run by the local women's social circle.  Sometimes even by a neighboring social circle of women.  Nearly every man, whether king, stable hand, or farmer, is hen-pecked.

As of this point:

1) The big reveal about the number of women who can channel (or learn to channel) comes much later, like book 12 or so.
2) Not sure how that's relevant.
3) While they may be in decline, their expectations when interacting with...well, just about anyone...indicate that up until the series they still act with absolute authority.

Not much difference, really...I just think hundreds of years of women being inherently more powerful than men (after thousands of years otherwise before the breaking) would lead to a culture where men are henpecked near to death throughout the culture.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah Steven R Donaldson series was great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are these the ones abut Thomas covenant and his leprosy hand?  If so I read some of them 20 years ago

Yeah Steven R Donaldson series was great.

I struggled through the first few chapters, hoping it would pick up, then the leper raped the girl. I put it up and haven't gone back. The dialogue and world/character building was lame enough, but that little episode made the book unreadable for me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
How to Curse and use Swear Words in the Wheel of Time You Goat-Kissing, Light Skirt, Milk-Hearted, Goat Spawn Toads!!!!

Bloody - Is a swear word by itself, "bloody" is also used to enhance or illustrate anger or annoyance (e.g. "blood and bloody ashes" [See blood and ashes], "Bloody women!", "Bloody fools!").

Flaming - Is a swear word by itself, "flaming" is also used to preface to another word to show potent expression of anger or annoyance (e.g. "Flaming Aes Sedai").

Blasted - A swear word used in conjunction with another word, similar in usage to "damned" (e.g. "Blasted Dragon Reborn").

Light - Used when astonished (e.g. "Light help us") or an exclamation (e.g. "Light!").

Burn (me, you, other person/group/object) - Similar use as damn (e.g. "Damn you", "Burn you") commonly used in response to some upsetting news (e.g. "Burn my bones").
Insults, Curses, and Vulgar Phrases

Blood and ashes - Expresses anger, disgust, other another negative emotion. Commonly intensified by using bloody ("blood and bloody ashes").

Bloody ox of a thimble-brained man - Combination of insults and swears meaning a big man with a small brain; another way of calling someone an idiot.

Bilge stone - Sea Folk insult, referring to the waste on board a ship.

Boneheaded- Idiotic.

Bull-goose fool - A reckless idiot ("twice he had stepped through a ter'angreal like a bull-goose fool, "still smiling like a bull-goose fool, "a pure bull-goose fool").

Chit - Derogatory term for girl, used like 'bitch' or 'twit' ("a lazy chit," "you ill-tempered little chit,"[9] "if she wore dresses and simpered at him like a brainless chit," etc.).

Crackbrain- Idiotic or crazy.

Daughter/Son of the sands - Extreme Sea Folk insult, usually is followed by violence.

Fish-loving scavenger - Sea Folk insult, probably not as "mild" as Elayne imagines.

Goat-kissing - Describing someone or something as despicable or annoying (e.g. "Goat-kissing Halfman", "straight through to the goat-kissing ferry," or "sisters mingling with those goat-kissing Asha'man.

Goat-spawned toad - Generally berating insult.

Goose-brain- Idiot; also goose-brained.

Light-blinded fool - A righteous, ignorant, misguided, or stupid person ("If you weren't such a Light blinded fool,"or "Burn me for a bloody Light-blinded fool") Also light-blinded idiot.

Light-forsaken - Something that is desolate or wretched ("Even here in this Light-forsaken corner of the world,"or "Light-forsaken axe! Burn me, I wish I had never seen it!")

Lightskirt - A person who is "easy," or a slut.

Lummox - An oaf, idiot, or lump of a man; usually with an adjective, such as "addle-brained lummox,"hairy lummox" (one of Faile's insults toward Perrin,) "wool-headed lummox,", or simply "great lummox."

Milk-faced - Descriptive of a pretty woman, implying she uses her beauty to tempt men ("He wants a milk-faced vixen who runs about half-naked,"that milk-faced chit").

Milk-hearted - Cowardly, weak, or timid; sometimes used by Aiel to describe wetlanders.

Mule - Someone who is stubborn is often compared to a mule ("Stubborn as a cross-eyed mule,"surlier than a mule with four stone-bruised hooves,"or "mule-headed").

Mother's milk in a cup - Expression of disgust, anger; an obscenity considered particularly vulgar.

Muscle-brained cretin - Big, stupid man or one who thinks with his muscles.

Peace! - Shienaran exclamation of surprise or used like "gosh" ("Peace, but it is good to see you").

Sheep swallop - As in, "Oh sheep swallop! Sheep swallop and bloody buttered onions!"Meaning unknown beyond being impressively foul language.

Silverpike - Tairen expression meaning a swarm of small troubles that together create one big one, can mean persistent, immediate trouble ("Samara's a school of silverpike around a chunk of bloody meat").

Summer ham - Coarse and slightly obscure insult.

Thieving fisher-bird - Tairen expression for a sneaky thief ("And burn the thieving fisher-bird, "had her flapping like a fisher-bird whose catch had been stolen,"[10] "a temper in you like a fisher-bird with a bone in its throat,""that fool girl has less brains than a fisher-bird").

Treekillers - Aiel epithet for Cairhienin.

Witches/Tar Valon witches - Epithet used to refer to Aes Sedai, especially common among Whitecloaks.

Wooden-headed buffoon - An idiot.

Woolhead - Stupid or dense person; used extensively, wool-headed used just as frequently, often as a "wool-headed fool"or "wool-headed idiot,"referring to an idiot mistake[64][65] or just a "wool-headed man."
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I lost interest in the books when Jordan kept repeating how the dice spun in Mat's mind, and Rand was distraught over those who died in his name, and how it usually took 300+ pages for anyone to do anything in the damned books...  I mean, jeez, Jordan had a good idea but a shitty editor!  That editor ought to be hung, drawn and quartered for putting everyone who read the books through all that!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Take those men, have them grow up for generations in a matriarchal society, where the actual, physical balance of power is in favor of women instead of men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
At least he gave it an in-universe reason.  The only people who can use magic are women . You want to fuck with a random bossy woman when she might end up being someone who can completely ruin your life and you have no recourse?

Yeah...see, this is what I'm talking about.

Try to imagine some of the more hardened men you know.  Now try to imagine them afraid of a woman...granted, a woman who can whip 'dey ass cuzza dat magick.
How do men hold their own?  Well, with magic, of course...oh, but wait: The Aes Sedai have a way of dealing with that.  They neuter every man with magic they can find.  That way they can stay on top.

You think men are going to be OK with that?  THAT was a problem with Jordan's world.  Every. Single. Man.  Henpecked.  Browbeaten.  Emasculated.
Not once--not once!--did an important male character stand the fuck up and say "You know what?  The next time you wrap me up in air, or use any kind of magic on me without my clear, express, permission, you better kill me.  Because as sure as I walk in the Light, I'm going to kill you at my first available opportunity."

...and there would be a bounty on Red Ajah.  No way there wouldn't be...maybe on all Aes Sedai.

Men would never stand for that kind of power structure!  It would be open season on Aes Sedai, through every imaginable way and means.

Take those men, have them grow up for generations in a matriarchal society, where the actual, physical balance of power is in favor of women instead of men.

Sure.  It's a fantasy construct, after all...except that he filled his story with warrior kings.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Protagonist in that was such a whiny little douche I mostly kept reading in the hopes that someone would beat his ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Protagonist in that was such a whiny little douche I mostly kept reading in the hopes that someone would beat his ass.

Thank goodness I wasn't the only one who felt like that. SO kept hyping up the books, so I slogged through the series and told him that he had horrible taste in books.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
my favorite fantasy series:

-malazan book of the fallen, by erikson

-the fionavar tapestry, by kay

-the historical fantasy titles, by kay (lions of al-rassan, tigana, a song of arbonne, under heaven, last light of the sun)

-song of ice and fire, by martin

-earthsea, by le guin, and narnia, by lewis

-the wheel of time, by jordan

-the kushiel series, by carey

and an honorable mention goes to 'dies the fire', by stirling.
View Quote

I LOVE the Kushiel series by Carey.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

haven't read eddings, fiest, or W&H.

goodkind was good for the first 2, but just started wearing on me after that.  the old guy was great, but i couldn't get past everyone's habit of saying exactly what they were thinking in the sappiest hallmark card kind of way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

haven't read eddings, fiest, or W&H.

goodkind was good for the first 2, but just started wearing on me after that.  the old guy was great, but i couldn't get past everyone's habit of saying exactly what they were thinking in the sappiest hallmark card kind of way.

SoT was great but jesus h christ, he kept dragging it out. Hell, he wrote one set in our world that was a crossover.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It pisses me off.  She wrote what I wanted in fantasy: Adults dealing with adult themes, in a fantastic setting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I forgot about Melanie Rawn. She actually has a trilogy that is missing it's last book. I've been waiting for it for about 20 years.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

It pisses me off.  She wrote what I wanted in fantasy: Adults dealing with adult themes, in a fantastic setting.

I haven't read anything of hers. Guess I will look her up at the library.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You know, you don't have to continue reading when you find that shit.

Anyone mention the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson?  Or his new series The Stormlight Archive?  Both pretty decent series with twists on magic and societies in a fantasy setting.
View Quote

Mistborn was GREAT. Loved the "science" of the magic. I need to try The Stormlight Archive.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This. The ending of the Mistborn pissed me off though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone mention the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson?  Or his new series The Stormlight Archive?  Both pretty decent series with twists on magic and societies in a fantasy setting.

I am listening to the Way of Kings (First book of the Stormlight Archive) right now.  I think it is 47 hrs long, but that is a good thing to me.  I am maybe a quarter of the way though it and I have enjoyed it so far.

Which series did you enjoy more?  Mistborn or Stormlight?

I haven't read any past the original Mistborn trilogy in that series, but I think I'll put The Stormlight Archive above it.  It looks like it has the makings of a great Epic.

Same here. Oh I was so angry.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am listening to the Way of Kings (First book of the Stormlight Archive) right now.  I think it is 47 hrs long, but that is a good thing to me.  I am maybe a quarter of the way though it and I have enjoyed it so far.

Which series did you enjoy more?  Mistborn or Stormlight?

I haven't read any past the original Mistborn trilogy in that series, but I think I'll put The Stormlight Archive above it.  It looks like it has the makings of a great Epic.

And he totally got me too.

"No...

No, no, no...

Don't you...

Oh you dirty mother fucker!"

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"No...

No, no, no...

Don't you...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"No...

No, no, no...

Don't you...

Same here. I was so angry I yelled and almost woke up my kids. I finished the last one in the middle of the night. I also cried.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:48:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Same here. I was so angry I yelled and almost woke up my kids. I finished the last one in the middle of the night. I also cried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"No...

No, no, no...

Don't you...

I almost swore off the rest of his stuff over it.

Stormlight is redeeming him though.

Elantris was good too.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Elantris was good too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"No...

No, no, no...

Don't you...

Elantris was good too.

You also have to read all of his stuff with the understanding that it's all in the same universe.  In fact there are about 4 people who are in each and every book he produces, and the last line of the last Stormlight book sent chills up my spine because there is an object that appears from another story that was a....dangerous object.  No spoilers, sorry.

Anyway, re-read all of his books when you can and pay attention to little insignificant things with obscure characters that simply don't seem to fit right.  It's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You also have to read all of his stuff with the understanding that it's all in the same universe.  In fact there are about 4 people who are in each and every book he produces, and the last line of the last Stormlight book sent chills up my spine because there is an object that appears from another story that was a....dangerous object.  No spoilers, sorry.

Anyway, re-read all of his books when you can and pay attention to little insignificant things with obscure characters that simply don't seem to fit right.  It's pretty cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"No...

No, no, no...

Don't you...

Elantris was good too.

I'm not knocking his skill as a storyteller.

He's going to the special hell for what he did at the end of Mistborn though.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:13:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elantris was good too.

I was a little upset about that too, but after a while I actually really appreciated the dramatic difference between the end of that book and every other book I've read.  Not predictable, yet met all of the foreshadowing that was played out all along.  It was like the movie Sixth Sense, when you have to go back and re-look at the show to realize he was trying to tell you that all along, and you just wouldn't listen.

Without giving up too much, I think the ending of the WOT was handled the same way.  I was pretty stunned after the dust settled on that one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
1) The big reveal about the number of women who can channel (or learn to channel) comes much later, like book 12 or so.
3) While they may be in decline, their expectations when interacting with...well, just about anyone...indicate that up until the series they still act with absolute authority.

Not much difference, really...I just think hundreds of years of women being inherently more powerful than men (after thousands of years otherwise before the breaking) would lead to a culture where men are henpecked near to death throughout the culture.
View Quote

I'm not sure any of my random musings are relevant.  Just coincidental that I was reading the series again as this thread came up.

That being said, the series is much more poorly written than I remember on my first reading, and I'm not even to the "bad" books yet.  (e,g, books 6+ in earnest, 5 is where it started to fall off for me).

The poor pacing was always a problem, but I hadn't noticed until now how often Jordan repeats phrases and exposition, apparently just for filler's sake.  Like he was getting paid by the word or something.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The poor pacing was always a problem, but I hadn't noticed until now how often Jordan repeats phrases and exposition, apparently just for filler's sake.  Like he was getting paid by the word or something.  

View Quote

this post is fierce--all stony planes and angles.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

*tugs braid furiously*

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

arfcom turns as arfcom wills.  arfcom turns and ages come and pass leaving memories that fade to legend.  legend fades to myth, and even myth is forgotten when the age that gave it birth come again.  in one age, called the third age by some, an age yet to come, an age long past, a writer fucked off and vomited words instead of getting to the fucking point.  the writer was not editing, nor was he writing a new book, for the wheel has no beginning or end, but no one was surprised when he keeled over before the series was finished and brandon sanderson had to finish the job...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

arfcom turns as arfcom wills.  arfcom turns and ages come and pass leaving memories that fade to legend.  legend fades to myth, and even myth is forgotten when the age that gave it birth come again.  in one age, called the third age by some, an age yet to come, an age long past, a writer fucked off and vomited words instead of getting to the fucking point.  the writer was not editing, nor was he writing a new book, for the wheel has no beginning or end, but no one was surprised when he keeled over before the series was finished and brandon sanderson had to finish the job...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well played, well played.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:56:25 AM EDT
[#25]
HOOOLY SHHHHHHHHHHHET

I am going to have a lot of ready based on all of these suggestions! Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:01:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

holy crap!  how did i miss this post?

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:16:26 AM EDT
[#27]
random thought, if anyone is still reading.

assume that balefire is a metaphor for nuclear weapons.  so given the discussion of balefire in WoT, what was jordan (a combat vet) saying about nuclear weapons?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

epic
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:38:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

assume that balefire is a metaphor for nuclear weapons.  so given the discussion of balefire in WoT, what was jordan (a combat vet) saying about nuclear weapons?
View Quote

Ehh, never thought of it that way. It makes sense in one light in that it should never be used, anything hit by it is gone forever, etc. but it had also been used to undo an event that would have resulted in the Dark one winning (however unintentional that might have been)
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 5:59:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ehh, never thought of it that way. It makes sense in one light in that it should never be used, anything hit by it is gone forever, etc. but it had also been used to undo an event that would have resulted in the Dark one winning (however unintentional that might have been)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i don't think nukes had anything to do with it.  seemed more like a commentary on how you can't change or try to edit history.  balefire burns that thread from the pattern, do that to too many threads and the whole weave falls apart.  there are no "do overs" in life,  every decision we make is the start of a new path.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know, not feeling it.

I'll ponder it during my mowing musings today though.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm not sure any of my random musings are relevant.  Just coincidental that I was reading the series again as this thread came up.

That being said, the series is much more poorly written than I remember on my first reading, and I'm not even to the "bad" books yet.  (e,g, books 6+ in earnest, 5 is where it started to fall off for me).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

To be fair, he probably did that because when you're writing a story that's as long and drawn out as the Wheel of Time, you have to expect a lot of people to pick up in the middle or skip around or just forget what it was they read about four months ago back in the first chapter.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was a little upset about that too, but after a while I actually really appreciated the dramatic difference between the end of that book and every other book I've read.  Not predictable, yet met all of the foreshadowing that was played out all along.  It was like the movie Sixth Sense, when you have to go back and re-look at the show to realize he was trying to tell you that all along, and you just wouldn't listen.

Without giving up too much, I think the ending of the WOT was handled the same way.  I was pretty stunned after the dust settled on that one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elantris was good too.

I see what you are saying.

I also REALLY enjoyed Warbreaker. The construct for that "magic" was interesting, as was the backstory.

Sanderson is good at setting up foreshadowing if you pay attention but you will more than likely not know how the story will end.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were checking out well turned calves and tight breeches?

*blushes furiously and denies basic human desires for 800 pages*

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Mistborn was GREAT. Loved the "science" of the magic. I need to try The Stormlight Archive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another good one with a reasonable "science" of magic is The Death Gate Cycle by Weis and Hickman (who did a lot of DnD books in the Forgotten Realms world I think).  There's typically an appendix in the back with a short treatise on magic and how it works or something about the history of how the world became the way it is.  It's got a good overarching "how the hell did things get like this" mystery that runs from books 1 - 4 and wraps up quite nicely in books 5 - 7.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Another good one with a reasonable "science" of magic is The Death Gate Cycle by Weis and Hickman (who did a lot of DnD books in the Forgotten Realms world I think).  There's typically an appendix in the back with a short treatise on magic and how it works or something about the history of how the world became the way it is.  It's got a good overarching "how the hell did things get like this" mystery that runs from books 1 - 4 and wraps up quite nicely in books 5 - 7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first book I read that addressed the metaphysics of magic directly was Master of The Five Magics.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Not sure what you guys are yamering about but I am half way into book 4 and it just keeps getting better.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Not sure what you guys are yamering about but I am half way into book 4 and it just keeps getting better.
View Quote
Books 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 are the best as far as I'm concerned.  Then they really slow down until book 12 when Brandon Sanderson took over.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Also, somebody should do a "Rand 2016" poster with the dragon banner.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Also, somebody should do a "Rand 2016" poster with the dragon banner.
View Quote

Now that would be something.

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Here you go, nerds.  87 hours in photoshop

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Jordan shit on more interesting characters for a some harridans bitching about dresses and shit, oh and plotting to run rough shod over Rand (who I call betamax).

After five books it was just terminal literary diarrhea.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/cyIPz83.png
View Quote

He's a red-head with grey eyes and one hand.  

That looks like it might be a wimpy version of what I see Lord Luc as.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe Mazrim Taim.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#45]

The Golden Crane

How my I help you, Aes Sedai? You wish me to send a message for you via my pigeons? It will be my pleasure.? It was also wise to grant Aes Sedai any favors they asked, and a pigeon was a small favor.
A message to each merchant you correspond with. Tarmon Gai?don is coming soon.?

He shrugged uneasily. ?That is noting to do with me, Aes Sedai. I?m a merchant.? She was asking for a good many pigeons. He corresponded with merchants as far away as Shienar. ?But I will send your message.? He would, too, however many birds it required. Only stone blind idiots failed to keep promises to Aes Sedai. Besides which, he wanted rid of her and her talk of the Last Battle.

Do you recognize this?? she said, fishing a leather cord from the neck of her dress.

His breath caught, and he stretched out a hand, brushed a finger across the heavy gold signet ring on the cord. Across the crane in flight. How had she come by this? Under the Light, how I recognize it, he told her, his voice suddenly hoarse.

My name is Nynaeve ti al'Mera Mandrogoran. The message I want sent is this. My husband rides from World?s End toward Tarwin?s Gap, toward Tarmn Gai'don. Will he ride alone? He trembled. He did not know whether he was laughing or crying. Perhaps both. She was wife. I will send your message, my Lady, but it has nothing to do with me. I am a merchant. Malkier is dead. Dead, I tell you.?

The heat in her eyes seemed to intensify, and she gripped her long thick braid with one hand. Lan told me once that Malkier lives so long as one man wears the hadori in pledge that he will fight the Shadow, so long as one woman wears the ki'sain in pledge that she will send her sons to fight the Shadow. I wear the ki'sain, Master Aldragoran. My husband wears thehadori. So do you. Will Lan Mandrogoran ride to the Last Battle alone? laughing, shaking with it. And yet, he could feel tears rolling down his cheeks. It was madness! Complete madness! But he could not help himself. ?He will not, my Lady. I cannot stand surety for anyone else, but I sear to you under the Light and by my hope of rebirth and salvation, he will not ride alone. For a moment, she studied his face, then nodded once firmly and turned away. He fling out a hand after her. May I offer you wine, my Lady? My wife will want to meet you.? Alida was Saldaean, but she definitely would want to meet the wife of the Uncrowned King.

Thank you, Master Aldragoran, but I have several more towns to visit today, and I must be back in Tear tonight.?

He blinked at her back and she glided toward the door gathering her cloak. She had several more towns to visit today, and she had to be back in Tear  Truly, Aes Sedai were capable of marvels!

Silence hung in the common room. They had not been keeping their voices low, and even the girl with the dulcimer had ceased player her hammers. Everyone was staring at him. Most of the outlanders had their mouths hanging open.

Well, Managan, Gorenellin,? he demanded, do you still remember who you are? Do you remember your blood? Who rides with me for Tarwins Gap?

For a moment, he though neither man would speak but then Gorenellin was on his feet, tears glistening his eyes. The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gai'don, he said softly.

The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gai?don!? Managan shouted, leaping up so fast he overturned his chair.

Laughing, Aldragoran joined them, all three shouting at the top of their lungs. The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gai?don!
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I googled those male magic users. That's what showed up.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
OP is tugging his braid in anger right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rand can choke on a bag full of dicks.

OP is tugging his braid in anger right now.

He's a darkfriend!

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

Ten minutes with paint.net.

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not once--not once!--did an important male character stand the fuck up and say "You know what?  The next time you wrap me up in air, or use any kind of magic on me without my clear, express, permission, you better kill me.  Because as sure as I walk in the Light, I'm going to kill you at my first available opportunity."
View Quote

Actually that situation happens more than once. Rand at several points in the story says something very similar. Heck i think the first time i can recall off the top of my head is in book 6.  Let us not even get into Matt and the Aes Sedai.

You cannot have an open season on Aes Sedai. They are just simply to powerful from an outside perspective. Anyone with the clear knowledge of their weaknesses and limitations is either one or bonded to one. There are no effective imaginable ways and means for the average person to combat them. Nor does your average man every have a reason to. The only males who can rival them in power are systematically hunted down, or go crazy and kill themselves. Everyone else they are a group of mysterious women, who pay well, very often offer healing services to people in dire need, and unless you are in the business of running a country never likely to really deal with them.  Men would absolutely stand for a stable power structure. Especially if at the top is women who can kill you with their minds, who you might see once you life and that is when they cure you of terminal cancer and send you on your way.

IIRC the white tower contains less than 400 Aes Sedai and every country had various levels of relationships with Tar Valon. The borderlanders loved them. You have a 9 foot tall half man half bear with a huge sword and 20 buddies coming at you some woman starts tossing fireballs their direction and puts your buddies guts back in good as new you are going to thank your lucky stars whenever you see one.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe Mazrim Taim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe Mazrim Taim.

Interesting, but I think of Taim as more of a slimy salesman type with a really dark, dark side.  This guy looks like the devil, maybe Demandred?

If you were casting the motion picture, who would play Rand, Mat and Perrin?  I might pick Ewen MacGregor for Rand, but I can't see anyone playing Mat or Perrin.
Page / 6
Top Top