Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/16/2015 12:29:15 AM EDT
Anyone else read this New York Times national best selling series of books? I barely made it through the first book as it seemed slow to ramp up, I finished book 3 tonight and it is now already in my top 3 book series of all time with a MASSIVE 15 books in the series. Any other fans? It's right up there with David Eddings Belgariad/Mallorean and the Raymond E Feist Riftwar Saga series to me and completely crushes anything by Jr.Tolkien.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Great up through Book 6.  Slows massively down.  Ramps back up for the last couple of books.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Raymond Feist should be next if you are a big Jordan/Eddings fan.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The first few were really good.

Then it turned into thousands of pages of not much happening except walking and braid pulling.

I gave up around Path of Daggers.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I got through book 8. I could revisit it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I really enjoyed the Riftwar books.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I mentioned I had a top 3 favorite series, Raymond E Feist is number 3 with the Riftwar Saga I first read it 24 years ago as a young teenager. You have great tastes sir I would love to learn of any other series you deem equal to these.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I have read all of them. Some seem slow but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I like fantasy, sci/fi. Not that the series is sci fi.

I envy my kids in one respect- I started the series '95 and so the entire series was not published yet. You had to wait for the next books. If they decide to start the series, they can read it straight through.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Yah it gets kind of weak around book 10, however, if you could read them all through it probably wouldn't be as bad as waiting for 1-2 years for the next book then trying to remember who everyone is.

I think somewhere between between book 10 and the end there were so many individual threads going that in one book you only visited each group for like one chapter.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#9]
First couple books are great, then a vast wastelands of many many thousands of pages of intensely boring nonsense.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:39:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I stopped about half way through the series. I might start it again in the future.  Right now I am listing to the first book of the Stormlight Archive series by Sanderson.  So far it has been pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:39:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yah it gets kind of weak around book 10, however, if you could read them all through it probably wouldn't be as bad as waiting for 1-2 years for the next book then trying to remember who everyone is.

I think somewhere between between book 10 and the end there were so many individual threads going that in one book you only visited each group for like one chapter.
View Quote

I am reading them all through cover to cover from start to finish without a break!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:42:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I just started book 7. I read them years ago but forgot almost everything and started over again. Actually I got them all on audio books and listen to them when I'm driving. I travel a lot for my job and they make the time go by faster. If there is some time between drives I get antsy just so I can get back to the book.

All the same, they are my all time favorite series right now and I would highly recommend them. The narration in the audio books is pretty good so if you can't read them then listen instead.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am reading them all through cover to cover from start to finish without a break!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've done that a few times. Great series.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:46:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I read the first book while in the desert for ODS in '91. Prior to that I was not a fantasy fan but since I was starved for something to read, I read it.

After reading it, I could not wait until the next book came out.

I read them all.

ETA: I guess I should say "Thanks Saddam".
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just started book 7. I read them years ago but forgot almost everything and started over again. Actually I got them all on audio books and listen to them when I'm driving. I travel a lot for my job and they make the time go by faster. If there is some time between drives I get antsy just so I can get back to the book.

All the same, they are my all time favorite series right now and I would highly recommend them. The narration in the audio books is pretty good so if you can't read them then listen instead.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:47:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is how I feel about the new series from Brandon Sanderson, the guy who clean up and finished the WoT.  He really should be cranking out a new book every 3-6 months, any less than that and I go through cycles of hating his guts and wishing he'd just write more.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Great up through Book 6.  Slows massively down.  Ramps back up for the last couple of books.  
View Quote

This. It seemed like Robert Jordan lost his focus in Books 7 to 11. There are dozens of smaller side stories he started and then just kind of let sputter out. After Jordan died, I figured the story would remain unfinished. When Harriet brought Brandon Sanderson in to finish it, I was concerned. I like Sanderson, but his writing is very different from Jordan's. Even though he changed some traits of the main characters, I thought Brandon Sanderson did a really good job wrapping up the saga. I have first prints of all the books. Sanderson has inscribed several of them. IMO, the WoT saga is well worth the read.

I really enjoyed Eddings' Belgariad, but I found the rest of Eddings' stuff to be a rehash of that first story. I'll just leave the heretical Tolkein comment alone.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:57:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This. It seemed like Robert Jordan lost his focus in Books 7 to 11. There are dozens of smaller side stories he started and then just kind of let sputter out. After Jordan died, I figured the story would remain unfinished. When Harriet brought Brandon Sanderson in to finish it, I was concerned. I like Sanderson, but his writing is very different from Jordan's. Even though he changed some traits of the main characters, I thought Brandon Sanderson did a really good job wrapping up the saga. I have first prints of all the books. Sanderson has inscribed several of them. IMO, the WoT saga is well worth the read.

I really enjoyed Eddings' Belgariad, but I found the rest of Eddings' stuff to be a rehash of that first story. I'll just leave the heretical Tolkein comment alone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I just finished Tolkiens Hobbit,  which was pretty decent I guess, it just does not seem as epic as the other series we are speaking of by a long shot, to each their own. You need to read Raymond E Feist, you're welcome !
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:00:55 AM EDT
[#19]
read the first few back in high school.

Recently I listened to every single audio book. Took about a full year to get through all of them.

Good series, keep going. Having just also finished Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, I appreciate WoT more.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:01:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I was never really into the fantasy type books as I leaned more into the military/techno thriller in HS.

My wife as we were dating in college convinced me to read the first in the series and I was hooked.  I made it to the boring books rather quickly (I read a lot) and gave up.

Years go by and I heard that Jordan died and again figured that the series was over, but did go a head and pick up the last book he wrote.  It was back to the old Jordan and figured the new writer would do us proud.

I was not disappointed.

It was an excellent set of the final three books.  

I would recommend any reader to this series to understand that there is a huge lull in the books, but burn on through it and you will be more than glad you did.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I just finished Tolkiens Hobbit trilogy which was pretty decent I guess, it just does not seem as epic as the other series we are speaking of by a long shot, to each their own. You need to read Raymond E Feist, you're welcome !
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Don't get me wrong, I just finished Tolkiens Hobbit trilogy which was pretty decent I guess, it just does not seem as epic as the other series we are speaking of by a long shot, to each their own. You need to read Raymond E Feist, you're welcome !

The Hobbit what?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was never really into the fantasy type books as I leaned more into the military/techno thriller in HS.

My wife as we were dating in college convinced me to read the first in the series and I was hooked.  I made it to the boring books rather quickly (I read a lot) and gave up.

Years go by and I heard that Jordan died and again figured that the series was over, but did go a head and pick up the last book he wrote.  It was back to the old Jordan and figured the new writer would do us proud.

I was not disappointed.

It was an excellent set of the final three books.  

I would recommend any reader to this series to understand that there is a huge lull in the books, but burn on through it and you will be more than glad you did.
View Quote

I will not stop. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just finished Raymond Feist's: Flight Of The Nighthawks not too long ago. Pretty good read.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I read the first book when it came out in 1990. I bought the second book but never finished it. I couldn't really get into the series. I took a job in 2008 and worked the tech support line till 7pm. I would generally get one call after 5pm so it was painfully boring. One day I discussed the series with a coworker and  told me to try the audio series. I listened to books 2-11 while I worked there. I had never listened to an audio book before but I liked it and it helped pass the time. I read books 12 and 13 when they came out. I have the last book but I haven't read it yet.

I enjoyed the series. My problem is they are fairly long and take up a lot of time which makes them hard for me to read (just don't have the time).
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:17:45 AM EDT
[#25]
"Crushes anything by Tolkien", is a hell of a claim.    I'll give them a try.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"Crushes anything by Tolkien", is a hell of a claim.    I'll give them a try.
View Quote

Just hold out until book 2 and you will be hooked
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:20:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Tried to get into it, couldn't. Concluded that it was derivative, repetitive crap that could have been summed up in, at most, a couple of books. I remember thinking "This is what James Michener would have been like, had he written fantasy...

Now, if you want a really good super-lengthy series, try the Malazan Book of the Fallen. That bastard at least has the benefit of keeping your attention, and having some great characters, not a bunch of damn Mary-Sues walking around forever. Not to mention, some of the best combat scenes that have ever been put to paper. I'll grant you that the first book does drag a little, but by the time you get into it, you'll be binge-reading the whole series. Steven Erikson is a hell of a writer, and since he's an archaeologist/anthropologist, his writing about fantasy cultures is coming from a very well-researched, carefully conceived place that most other fantasy authors only wish they could reach.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:22:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget Robin Hobb.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I discovered Wheel of Time in 1995 and got through the released books pretty quick.  Then the waiting began, two or three years between books.  When the new one came out I would read it, then re-read the whole series including the new book.  

By the time I found out RJ had died they had already announced Sanderson would finish the series.  I read one of Sanderson's books "Mistborn" to try him out and it was meh.

The last three WOT books a lot of stuff happens really quick to tie up all the loose ends.  Very glad he could step in and give us all closure at least.

Read Tolkien in grade school, the standard by which all others are judged.  My favorite part is the Mines of Moria.
Love Game of Thrones on TV, but after hearing the book people talk I'm kind of intimidated to jump in on that series.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:29:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tried to get into it, couldn't. Concluded that it was derivative, repetitive crap that could have been summed up in, at most, a couple of books. I remember thinking "This is what James Michener would have been like, had he written fantasy...

Now, if you want a really good super-lengthy series, try the Malazan Book of the Fallen. That bastard at least has the benefit of keeping your attention, and having some great characters, not a bunch of damn Mary-Sues walking around forever. Not to mention, some of the best combat scenes that have ever been put to paper. I'll grant you that the first book does drag a little, but by the time you get into it, you'll be binge-reading the whole series. Steven Erikson is a hell of a writer, and since he's an archaeologist/anthropologist, his writing about fantasy cultures is coming from a very well-researched, carefully conceived place that most other fantasy authors only wish they could reach.
View Quote

I'll check it out!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:30:46 AM EDT
[#31]
friggin great series!

first book is super slow and nothing special.

but at about book 3 the series gets really worth reading.

when i recommend it to people, i always make sure they know that jordan intended for books 1 thru 3 to be one book, but had to split them up because they were just too long.

you have to grind through book 1 (which was only supposed to be the back story and intro) before you get to the good stuff.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:41:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'll check it out!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll check it out!

Don't forget the associated books by Ian C. Esslemont set in the same universe.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:43:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I started reading them when I was in middle school.  Would read the whole series again when a new book came out.

All those years of my life and the ending was a huge letdown.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:44:32 AM EDT
[#34]
The prequel to the WOT series, New Spring, is a good read also.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 2:41:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Rand can choke on a bag full of dicks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 2:48:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I think I made it to book 7 and then gave up. It felt like it morphed from a story written for the sake of a story to a story written for the sake of the money.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 2:50:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I just finished Tolkiens Hobbit,  which was pretty decent I guess, it just does not seem as epic as the other series we are speaking of by a long shot, to each their own. You need to read Raymond E Feist, you're welcome !
View Quote
The Silmarillion is his best work, though it reads like a history more than a novel.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 2:55:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The Silmarillion is his best work, though it reads like a history more than a novel.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Silmarillion is fascinating to me. It really gives you a look into Tolkien's genius and how deep the world he created is.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:05:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:07:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
... completely crushes anything by Jr.Tolkien.
View Quote

HERETIC ! ! !

Burn him!  Burn the heretic!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:09:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP is tugging his braid in anger right now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:10:33 AM EDT
[#42]
That style of fantasy art turns me off like a switch.

How about Larry Niven's Ringworld books.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:23:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Huge WoT fan here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:24:33 AM EDT
[#45]
My favorite series of books ever. It's a shame Jordan wasn't able to see it through to the end. Though I suppose it would have gone on another 3 or 4 books had he still been writing. The last two books seemed very rushed and really just cut off a couple of interesting character plots
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:52:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I made it through book 5 before I realized I didn't give a shit about any of the characters, and I would be perfectly fine with the Dark One coming back and wrecking shit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:54:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Made my way through 8 or 9. but havent read any in a couple years. Like to grab copies at yard sales,flea markets,etc when I see one I dont have, but havent seen any past what Ive already got lately.
Strangely the name Perrin flashed into my brain just today for no reason that I could tell but made me think about restarting from the beginning.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#48]
think i made it to crossroads of twilight.  i need to reread it and finish the series just so i can say i did
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I discovered Wheel of Time in 1995 and got through the released books pretty quick.  Then the waiting began, two or three years between books.  When the new one came out I would read it, then re-read the whole series including the new book.  

By the time I found out RJ had died they had already announced Sanderson would finish the series.  I read one of Sanderson's books "Mistborn" to try him out and it was meh.

The last three WOT books a lot of stuff happens really quick to tie up all the loose ends.  Very glad he could step in and give us all closure at least.

Read Tolkien in grade school, the standard by which all others are judged.  My favorite part is the Mines of Moria.
Love Game of Thrones on TV, but after hearing the book people talk I'm kind of intimidated to jump in on that series.
View Quote

the books blow the tv series out of the water
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 5:05:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think I made it to book 7 and then gave up. It felt like it morphed from a story written for the sake of a story to a story written for the sake of the money.
View Quote

Samer here. I read a couple more books but was bored beyond belief. Not even intrested in reading the last three.

GOT lost my interest after books for and five were just needless, slow nothings.

Fiest is awesome! Started reading him when I was 14 and just finished Magician's End a few months ago. Simply spectacular.

ckmorley
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top