BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh gee another remake or continuation of what was once popular....ho hum.   Movies are so boring and predictable.  they produce 37 comic book related movies every year and then throw in a bunch of remakes and puff pieces about social issues.
View Quote

This is how I feel too. I just can't get excited about this kind of shit anymore.
I thought for two seconds ex machina would be interesting but nope, rehashed bs.
Whatever.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They said she's really the main character in this movie and max is kind of a back drop character.
View Quote

If you look at the past Max movies he kind of ISN'T the focus... the character of Max is simply a vessel through which someone ELSE'S story is told.

Mad Max - is a story about the fraying of society told by the clash between frontier cops and renegade bikers, with Max as a parable for society.

Road Warrior - is a story about the rag-tag refinery defenders and their quest for paradise, which they achieve thanks to Max's sacrifice.

Thunderdome - is a dichotomous story about the return of society personified in two groups that Max crosses paths with, Aunty and the Tribe. Aunty is the old, crooked world reasserting itself and the Tribe is the young, new world trying to come into being. Max defeats Aunty to save the Tribe, in another self-sacrificial way.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm off Friday and will be taking my son to see this movie. I can't wait! Also, which of the original 3 Mad Max movies is your favorite? I always liked The Road Warrior best.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This is how I feel too. I just can't get excited about this kind of shit anymore.
I thought for two seconds ex machina would be interesting but nope, rehashed bs.
Whatever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh gee another remake or continuation of what was once popular....ho hum.   Movies are so boring and predictable.  they produce 37 comic book related movies every year and then throw in a bunch of remakes and puff pieces about social issues.

Whatever.

I thought this was Number 4 and not a true reboot?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
If you aren't excited to see this movie, you aren't a man.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

If the trailer is an indication, Fury Road takes place between Mad Max and Road Warrior, making it technically movie 1.5... this is indicated by the presence of the Pursuit Special, which was destroyed in Road Warrior.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Google Eve Ensler's involvement with this movie, and her interviews about it, and come back and tell me all about real men.

http://time.com/3850323/mad-max-fury-road-eve-ensler-feminist/
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Saw Road Warrior when I was 7 or 8. Gonna take my sons to see this one....
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If the trailer is an indication, Fury Road takes place between Mad Max and Road Warrior, making it technically movie 1.5... this is indicated by the presence of the Pursuit Special, which was destroyed in Road Warrior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It damn well better have Bruce Spence in a gyrocopter!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They said she's really the main character in this movie and max is kind of a back drop character.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Charlize Theron is in it.  Why would you want to support such a vocal anti gun celebrity?

If we avoided all movies that involved anti-gun celebrities, we'd never see any movie or TV show... ever.

She's in it?  I barely noticed.

It is now PC to have a woman as the main character in many movies and tv dramas.  It is now the Age of Superwoman and if she is not the main character she is the boss of the main character.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Charlize Theron is in it.  Why would you want to support such a vocal anti gun celebrity?
View Quote

I dont care about her stance on guns. I want to know why her hair is all gone.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Her fucking arm , Man
What happened to her arm ?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Google Eve Ensler's involvement with this movie, and her interviews about it, and come back and tell me all about real men.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was really blown away by the older women in the film who were just as good fighters as the men.

Yeah. When I think "badass" the first thing that comes to my mind is a 55 year old woman.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If it's as good as Thunderdome I'll be happy with it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#16]
You "but but but the vajiminy dialogues!" folks have selective Max memories...

The Mad Max films have historically had strong female characters in them... so what is one more butch crew cut robot arm?

And if you REALLY want to shit your pants with rage against Fury Road, I would pick the tidbit that George Miller directed Babe 1 & 2, Happy Feet 1 & 2 AND The Witches of Eastwick between Thunderdome and now.

VAGINAS!

VAGINAS EVERYWHERE!

FURY ROAD IS RUINED!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Wired article.

another

I don't even consider Thunderdome when talking about road warrior. That movie sucked.
Tina Turner...
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You "but but but the vajiminy dialogues!" folks have selective Max memories...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/JsARCLIGHT/Warrior_woman_takes_aim_zpstvpn6ugq.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/JsARCLIGHT/tina_zpstqafg3mf.jpg

The Mad Max films have historically had strong female characters in them... so what is one more butch crew cut robot arm?

And if you REALLY want to shit your pants with rage against Fury Road, I would pick the tidbit that George Miller directed Babe 1 & 2, Happy Feet 1 & 2 AND The Witches of Eastwick between Thunderdome and now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/JsARCLIGHT/hahawaitwhat_zpsb89831da.gif

VAGINAS!

VAGINAS EVERYWHERE!

FURY ROAD IS RUINED!
View Quote

I'm very aware of the past movies, Miller's directing credentials, and the strong (past) female leads. None of that changes what this movie is, or is supposed to be, and who is responsible for that message.

It ain't hate for vaginas or women, I'll watch a Merchant and Ivory movie happily. It's more about injecting some reality into the hype - which is this movie is not Road Warrior - it's a gotcha film meant to lure people in with nostalgia while hitting them over the head with (what is this time around) a more overt feminist message.

That's right from the horse's mouth, man.

Watch it. Get a boner. Maybe it's a great film. What it is not is all things manly...and you're pretty much bolstering that case because the originals weren't either.

So, uh, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wired article

I don't even consider Thunderdome when talking about road warrior. That movie sucked.
Tina Turner...
View Quote

Oddly, Thunderdome is considered the best of the films, by fans outside the US.

Especially Brits and Australians.

No matter how many times I tell them they are wrong...
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm sure Charlize Theron will miss your $15.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we avoided all movies that involved anti-gun celebrities, we'd never see any movie or TV show... ever.

Wrong.  The least you can do is avoid those who are bigger anti gun advocates.  Of course you can make up an excuse and take the easy way out.

I'm sure Charlize Theron will miss your $15.  

Then don't complain when celebrity actors/actresses spew anti gun/anti self defense drivel.  Their platform can only exist if they are decently funded or receive significant media attention because of their roles.

For an example, look at Melissa Joan Hart.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm very aware of the past movies, Miller's directing credentials, and the strong (past) female leads. None of that changes what this movie is, or is supposed to be, and who is responsible for that message.

It ain't hate for vaginas or women, I'll watch a Merchant and Ivory movie happily. It's more about injecting some reality into the hype - which is this movie is not Road Warrior - it's a gotcha film meant to lure people in with nostalgia while hitting them over the head with (what is this time around) a more overt feminist message.

That's right from the horse's mouth, man.

Watch it. Get a boner. Maybe it's a great film. What it is not is all things manly...and you're pretty much bolstering that case because the originals weren't either.

So, uh, thanks.
View Quote

It just seems to me you are crying fire before we've even seen the building based off of one slanted second hand story. I would think the safer bet would be to cry "HOMOS!"

If anything because the prior Mad Max movies have far more homosexual themes in them than any feminist themes, and I expect even MORE of that this time around. It isn't Mad Max without leather boys wearing assless chaps and football pads on motorcycles at some point.

My point is you are kind of blowing everything out of proportion simply because of a Time magazine interview with a feminist writer who isn't even in the credits for the movie, who was invited to the set one day and took her own feminist views into and out of it. Shocking that a feminist would go on set, see everything through the eyes of a feminist then get interviewed by a magazine and relate her second hand experiences on set to them through the POV of a feminist. It is like someone inviting a pro wrestler onto the set of Sense and Sensibility then having him relate his views on it... he is going to talk in what he knows: wrestling, and how Elinore and Marieanne are the perfect face and heel, how they really had a knack for turnbuckle evasions and how they never broke keyfabe the whole time.

I personally will endure a "feminist message" to see a new Mad Max movie. I'll shelve it right next to the societal message, the conservationist message, the nativist message and all the other messages the prior movies had.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just walk away.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Where is the infrastructure for all these vehicles and all the props they have?  I can't get past that.
View Quote

Stick to documentaries than?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Also, there better be a Blue Heeler in this flick!!!
View Quote

Fackin roit mate!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, dying time's here!

If it can stand up to that I'll be there.
View Quote

"Bust a deal, face the wheel!"
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It damn well better have Bruce Jenner in a gyrocopter!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I know she is bad a$$ and all but she has one f"@&ing arm
How is she gonna be able to kick some apocalyptic a$$

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Does Max still have Dog? Or is this a sequel and Dog is dead?
View Quote

Dag died in The Road Warrior when one of Lord Humungus' goons shot it with a crossbow bolt.

So...from this IGN review Theron's character if lead and Max is secondary? I thought the title of the movie is Mad Max Fury Road not One Armed Bald Chick Fury Road.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to see this movie because next to everything Star Wars the Mad Max movies were always my favorite as a kid.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No Gyro copter but Toecutter is in this movie playing the bad guy again!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Seriously?  I hadn't heard that.

A 14 year delay is amazing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have been waiting for this movie for a loooooooong time
Yeah. The delay in this movie caused by the 9/11 terrorist attacks was too long...    

Seriously?  I hadn't heard that.

A 14 year delay is amazing.

Well, if you're a Boston fan (the band) like I am,  you've had prior training in waiting for the next release.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My body is ready.

I already talked my younger brother into going dressed as one of the kids from Thunderdome.

I know he'll chicken out on me but I'm 100% making him carry a record staff to the theater.  I'm in the process of constructing one right now.

Mostly because those stupid kids are the worst part of all three movies.

https://www.blackgate.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Mad-Mad-Beyond-Thunderdome-3.jpg
View Quote

I don't know, Helen Buday was quite shaggable as Savannah Nix....
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If it's as good as Thunderdome I'll be happy with it.
View Quote
I just took a shit that would meet that criteria.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

My biggest complaint about the trailers is that it makes Max look like a wimp.
View Quote

It's supposed to.

http://www.returnofkings.com/63036/why-you-should-not-go-see-mad-max-feminist-road

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Never saw the original. Is it the anti-water world?  What's the deal with the vehicles?  Is the ground lava?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's supposed to.

http://www.returnofkings.com/63036/why-you-should-not-go-see-mad-max-feminist-road

So wait he hasn't seen the movie but bases his opinion off of two other articles who really haven't seen the movie either?  Yeah OK go back and enjoy your copy of Driving Miss Daisy!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Gonna see it this Sunday in a fancy iPic theater.

But, I already see a problem with the movie from the preview in the OP ........

Mad Max is shooting a Glock.

Glocks probably made the world end in the 1st place. & thats why they are in so much trouble.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Gonna see it this Sunday in a fancy iPic theater.

But, I already see a problem with the movie from the preview in the OP ........

Mad Max is shooting a Glock.

Glocks probably made the world end in the 1st place. & thats why they are in so much trouble.

View Quote

I own a 1911 and a Glock. I do prefer my 1911, but if it was in a mad max type of situation I'd prefer the Glock. It holds way more rounds, and after I've shot all my rounds I can throw it at the enemy and it will act as a grenade.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why go to any movie ever if that is your standard?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I know she is bad a$$ and all but she has one f"@&ing arm
How is she gonna be able to kick some apocalyptic a$$

View Quote

Affirmative action?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Short interview....

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Never saw the original. Is it the anti-water world?  What's the deal with the vehicles?  Is the ground lava?
View Quote

The original Mad Max is a movie about the downfall of society, frontier cops waging a losing war against a roving biker gang in rural Australia. After losing everything Max goes mad, kills some bikers and rides off into legend.

Road Warrior (Mad Max 2) is a movie several years after the first in the wake of a global resource / nuclear war. Max is still mad and he grudgingly gets drawn into a fight between more motor crazies and a band defending an oil well. Max aids them in their quest to reach "paradise" and becomes part of their legends.

Beyond Thunderdome is a movie several years after Road Warrior. Australia is still fucked, Max is still mad. Trying to get his stolen stuff back he makes a deal with Aunty Entity, ruler of "bartertown", to eliminate her competition and solidify her reign. Max winds up breaking the deal, facing a wheel, getting gulag'ed and being rescued from death by a lost tribe of children. The children wind up in bartertown and they aid the man Max was hired by Aunty to break. Again Max aids the kids and becomes part of their legends.

The "deal" with the vehicles is that they are all more or less re-purposed cars and trucks made into war machines by the tribes, armies and bandits of the post-apocalyptic Australia. The underlying message of the second movie was one of ecological and societal waste framed by gasoline. Everyone was killing for a "tank of juice", so the crazy vehicles were an overt display of the insanity of the unquenchable thirst for oil. They just kept them in the third movie out of habit.

The ground is not lava, it's Australia (which means the ground is most likely poisonous)... deep desert outback most of the time as the big cities are nuked (a destroyed and desolate Sydney is seen at the end of Thunderdome).
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I think it should also be said that in every Max movie, Max is a pawn of fate... a ping pong ball caught up in events beyond his control in which he plays a key role. In a sense Mad Max movies are like Batman movies... the movies are more about the crazy villains and the post apocalyptic world than they are about the individual man named Max. Max spends most of his time in the movies simply trying to be left alone. He wants to quit the police force in the first movie, he just wants gas and to go on his way in the second movie and he only wants his stolen stuff back in the third movie... and he winds up being used by people to achieve their goals.

Max is more or less an avatar through which the audience experiences the insanity and depravity of the world around him. His personal story is almost unimportant and he is more or less Sergio Leone's "Man with No Name" recast in Australia with a muscle car instead of a horse.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AMC AMX Pursuit Special is in it?
Daymn...now I'll have to go see it!  
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The AMC AMX Ford Falcon XB Pursuit Special is in it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AMC AMX Ford Falcon XB Pursuit Special is in it?

Watch the trailer, it is there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Holy Shit. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 99% I don't remember ever seeing a movie on there with that high a rating.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Holy Shit. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 99% I don't remember ever seeing a movie on there with that high a rating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It sounds like it's a visually stunning movie (it should be) with awesome action (again, should be), but with quotes like this I'm gonna double-down on the opinion that this movie is a pandering political/social stunt dressed in manly action.

Also, that 99% is entirely the same libtard reviewers who hated American Sniper for being a propaganda piece, just for clarity.

May 12, 2015

Movies on this scale have often been the worst offenders when it comes to failing to put women and the issues they face at the fore. But Fury Road is a brilliantly feminist blockbuster which passes the Bechdel test with flying colours.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I know I'll get savagely attacked for this.....but......Thunderdome wasn't THAT bad!

Ok, the kids were ridiculous, but if you remove the kids COMPLETELY,  replace Tina Turner with a legit villain, and edit out all of the comic relief nonsense, it really had potential to be a good Max movie!

Don't get me wrong, I mean they DID fuck it up, but it could've been a legit badass flick with a little tweaking here and there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Olde max is a metaphor for the entire British empire, and British maledom as a whole Exhausted and spent -yet curiously uninterested.

Quoted:

Well, using the other three movies as examples:

Mad Max - Max doesn't do much of anything until his best friend dies, then he tries to quit. His boss recommends he go on vacation instead, and he does. On vacation his family gets wiped out by bikers causing him to go on a rampage.

Road Warrior - Max doesn't do much of anything until he sees an opportunity to score some gas. Once he fulfills his deal he tries to quit. His attempt at quitting fails miserably and his car and dog get wiped out by crazies, causing him to go on a rampage.

Thunderdome - Max doesn't do much of anything until he makes a deal to get back his stolen stuff. Once he realizes his opponent is a tard he tries to quit. His attempt at quitting fails miserably and he is gulag'ed into the desert where he is saved by lord of the flies. He tries to get the lord of the flies to quit, which fails miserably and they all wind up back at bartertown, causing Max to go on a rampage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, using the other three movies as examples:

Mad Max - Max doesn't do much of anything until his best friend dies, then he tries to quit. His boss recommends he go on vacation instead, and he does. On vacation his family gets wiped out by bikers causing him to go on a rampage.

Road Warrior - Max doesn't do much of anything until he sees an opportunity to score some gas. Once he fulfills his deal he tries to quit. His attempt at quitting fails miserably and his car and dog get wiped out by crazies, causing him to go on a rampage.

Thunderdome - Max doesn't do much of anything until he makes a deal to get back his stolen stuff. Once he realizes his opponent is a tard he tries to quit. His attempt at quitting fails miserably and he is gulag'ed into the desert where he is saved by lord of the flies. He tries to get the lord of the flies to quit, which fails miserably and they all wind up back at bartertown, causing Max to go on a rampage.

Page / 10
Top Top