Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2015 3:37:46 PM EDT

Gee, two GOP controlled States with a strong gun culture is playing the classic game of killing Pro Gun bills in committee. The GOP is a hell of a lot fucking better than the Democrats but they aren't our friends. They use the 2nd Amendment as a carrot to attract votes. Nothing more and nothing less. I sure as hell don't want some Libertarian R____ Paul doper party idiot running the show but the GOP keeps losing me as a voter. My confidence in the party is growing weaker by the day. Don't forget that the GOP helped NYS pass the Safe Act.

The GOP makes backroom deals on who will take the fall and be the bad guy for the Legislative Session and usually it is someone that is safe in office and won't be at risk come reelection since by the time that rolls by, the voting public will have forgotten the transgression.

The GOP is really starting to get cocky with this shit.

Texas

In the House, HB910 (Licenses Open Carry) authored by Republican Rep. Larry Phillips passed floor vote. It’s been delivered to the Senate. It has not been referred to the Senate State Affairs Committee. No action has been taken on the bill since 4/21. HB937 by Republican Rep. Allen Fletcher (Campus Carry) was voted out of committee and sent to the Calendars Committee, It has languished there without being scheduled for floor vote since 4/15.

In the Senate, SB11 (Campus Carry) by Birdwell passed the Senate floor vote and was sent to the house. And there it’s sat since 3/20 without being referred to the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee, chaired by Rep Phillips. SB17 by Estes (Licensed Open Carry) has suffered a similar fate, since 3/18.

The TX Legislative Session ends in a month.

Florida

The college campus carry bill, SB 176, was stalled in the Senate Judiciary Committee. Republican Senator Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, Did not put the bill on the committee calendar.
Its House companion bill, HB 4005, completed all of its committee stops, having been reported favorably at each one with bipartisan support, and awaited SB 176.
Senate President, Andy Gardiner, also refused to see to it that the two remaining committee chairmen calendar the bill despite its companion bill's overwhelming success in the House.

The FL Legislative Session ended on May 1st and we're fucked once again.

Edit

I don't have an answer except for you Texans and GOP members across the country to really press hard on the GOP. But voter apathy will show that we're stilled fucked.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
iN ON ONE.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
its those fucking doper liberaltarians fucking shit up again
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Really? They are in it for control, not to do what the people say. Doesn't matter what letter is next to their name. They're going to help themselves every time. How have more people not figured this out yet?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
No, it is actually GOP Voter Apathy fucking shit up again.

The Libertarians don't have a shot in hell to win any control. But the GOP is going through a major issue of voter apathy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Really? They are in it for control, not to do what the people say. Doesn't matter what letter is next to their name. They're going to help themselves every time. How have more people not figured this out yet?
View Quote
Pretty much and the people let them since the voter turn outs are so low.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
We must form a committee to discuss what is happening in the committees.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Libertarians don't have a shot in hell to win any control. But the GOP is going through a major issue of voter apathy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

your sarcasm meter is broken
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gee, two GOP controlled States with a strong gun culture is playing the classic game of killing Pro Gun bills in committee. The GOP is a hell of a lot fucking better than the Democrats but they aren't our friends. They use the 2nd Amendment as a carrot to attract votes. Nothing more and nothing less. I sure as hell don't want some Libertarian R____ Paul doper party idiot running the show but the GOP keeps losing me as a voter. My confidence in the party is growing weaker by the day. Don't forget that the GOP helped NYS pass the Safe Act.

The GOP makes backroom deals on who will take the fall and be the bad guy for the Legislative Session and usually it is someone that is safe in office and won't be at risk come reelection since by the time that rolls by, the voting public will have forgotten the transgression.

View Quote

I never get tired of these threads.

Right wing doesn't mean pro rights.

The federal, and most state governments, even when led by the GOP, don't really give a blue fuck about your RKBA.  Nearly all of them think you have enough purchase/possession/carry rights as it is.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The federal, and most state governments, even when led by the GOP, don't really give a blue fuck about your RKBA.  Nearly all of them think you have enough purchase/possession/carry rights as it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hence why I mentioned the carrot.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup...

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Is Dudley down there right now?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]
move to a free state.

i love saying that in these threads
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#13]
The Texas legislative session hasn't ended yet.  So you are a bit early on pronouncing those bills dead.  Whoever your source is, is also not very up on their Texas politics if they are blaming the Senate for the delay as the Senate sent both Open Carry and Campus Carry bills to the House back in March.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Texas legislative session hasn't ended yet.  So you are a bit early on pronouncing those bills dead.  Whoever your source is, is also not very up on their Texas politics if they are blaming the Senate for the delay as the Senate sent both Open Carry and Campus Carry bills to the House back in March.
View Quote

Thank you.
There is always the other side of the coin.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Indifference is preferable to hostility.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

HB910 passed the house but with an amendment so it's back to the senate for another vote
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that was tongue-in-cheek.  But how does voter apathy translate into GOP doing backroom deals on who takes the fall?  If it were voter apathy, wouldn't they pick a less slimy way of doing things?

Our last pro-gun bill almost floundered too in our GOP-controlled gov, but it was passed because the support was over the top.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#18]
We actually had a major gun bill pass our repub controlled house, go to the dem controlled senate where they stripped everything out but actually voted to allow suppressors FINALLY after all these years of trying but the house vetoed it and sent another full bill back up, and of course they are not even gonna touch it this time.  Made me almost literally cry. They finally gave us suppressors and I want one so freaking bad, then to have the repubs veto it
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#19]
You guys should move to free states?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think that was tongue-in-cheek.  But how does voter apathy translate into GOP doing backroom deals on who takes the fall?  If it were voter apathy, wouldn't they pick a less slimy way of doing things?

Our last pro-gun bill almost floundered too in our GOP-controlled gov, but it was passed because the support was over the top.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If there wasn't an issuenof voter apathy then the people would be pressing hard on their elected officials. But since the majority doesn't gibe a rat's ass of whatever happens. Those in office make back room deals since the majority of the public.doesn't follow poltics.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If there wasn't an issuenof voter apathy then the people would be pressing hard on their elected officials. But since the majority doesn't gibe a rat's ass of whatever happens. Those in office make back room deals since the majority of the public.doesn't follow poltics.  
View Quote

If they're making back room deals and passing the blame to members who aren't up for reelection, that's a good indication that they 1) know what they're doing is wrong, and 2) fear retribution from the public.  If there is no voter apathy, they'd be doing this sort of stuff without a care.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#23]
That doesn't appear to be exactly what's going on here, but hey.  GD are the Texas experts so I'll just let yall run with this one.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We actually had a major gun bill pass our repub controlled house, go to the dem controlled senate where they stripped everything out but actually voted to allow suppressors FINALLY after all these years of trying but the house vetoed it and sent another full bill back up, and of course they are not even gonna touch it this time.  Made me almost literally cry. They finally gave us suppressors and I want one so freaking bad, then to have the repubs veto it
View Quote

Stupid move by the House.  Incrementalism is the only way to get stuff back on the legal side, barring a lot of rope and a lot of lamp posts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Stupid move by the House.  Incrementalism is the only way to get stuff back on the legal side, barring a lot of rope and a lot of lamp posts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried telling this to our main lobbying group who frequent our htf here but they - as well as our repub legislatures are of a different opinion.  I am afraid we will never see suppressors here even with the dems willing to vote them in. Who would have ever imagined that
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Texas

In the House, HB910 (Licenses Open Carry) authored by Republican Rep. Larry Phillips passed floor vote. It’s been delivered to the Senate. It has not been referred to the Senate State Affairs Committee. No action has been taken on the bill since 4/21.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Recent update from Alice Tripp and the TSRA Update Info
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#29]
This a National epidemic though.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm sure it's somehow our fault.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I sometimes wonder who is trying to piss the most on this country Ds or Rs?

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right wing doesn't mean limited government or less spending either................
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Texas

In the House, HB910 (Licenses Open Carry) authored by Republican Rep. Larry Phillips passed floor vote. It’s been delivered to the Senate. It has not been referred to the Senate State Affairs Committee. No action has been taken on the bill since 4/21. HB937 by Republican Rep. Allen Fletcher (Campus Carry) was voted out of committee and sent to the Calendars Committee, It has languished there without being scheduled for floor vote since 4/15.
In the Senate, SB11 (Campus Carry) by Birdwell passed the Senate floor vote and was sent to the house. And there it’s sat since 3/20 without being referred to the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee, chaired by Rep Phillips. SB17 by Estes (Licensed Open Carry) has suffered a similar fate, since 3/18.

The TX Legislative Session ends in a month.

Florida

The college campus carry bill, SB 176, was stalled in the Senate Judiciary Committee. Republican Senator Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, Did not put the bill on the committee calendar.

Its House companion bill, HB 4005, completed all of its committee stops, having been reported favorably at each one with bipartisan support, and awaited SB 176.

Senate President, Andy Gardiner, also refused to see to it that the two remaining committee chairmen calendar the bill despite its companion bill's overwhelming success in the House.

The FL Legislative Session ended on May 1st and we're fucked once again.

Edit

I don't have an answer except for you Texans and GOP members across the country to really press hard on the GOP. But voter apathy will show that we're stilled fucked.

View Quote

And NY's AWB was signed by a Republican Governor,which then of course allowed the fuckstain Democrat to expand on what was there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Info posted on OCT's facebook page, hopefully things get done.

If the Legislature does not pass Open Carry and/or Campus Carry then gun owners must get more involved in the local republican parties and start throwing out more of the dead weight. Hell, more of us need to be doing this anyways.

https://www.facebook.com/OpenCarryTexas/posts/861290347250920
Here is a brief update of where things stand in the Legislative Session (84R for those who keep up with it).
You may have read that there are a number of bills from the House and Senate which have been passed and sent to the other chamber for action, but, as yet, have not been assigned to committee. There are some very high level policy decisions being taken. Texas Carry and Open Carry Texas will be meeting with staff tomorrow to try to get some of the stalled bills moving again. Fortunately, these are bill which can be considered in the last 30 days of the session, but they need to get moving soon. May 14th is the "drop dead" date by which bills must pass one house or the other to continue to be considered. If not, that is the end of a bill for the session. There probably will be a big rush to get bills passed by the 14th and after that the House and Senate are supposed to only consider bills sent to them by the other house. It is at that point that one might hope that the bills which have been stalled will get moving again.

Here's a brief recap of the major bills we have been working.

Senate Bills 11 & 17 were passed early in the session but have not had action in the House. Our most recent conversations with key staff lead us to believe that SB 11, Campus Carry, will see action in the House rather than the House companion, HB 937, which is pending in committee. If SB 11 passes the House without amendment, as expected, it can go to the Governor for signature. HB 910, the licensed open carry companion bill to SB 17, has several amendments. Some are more technical in nature to align the language with another statute. The amendments that are of benefit to license holders reduce the level of offense for going past a 30.06 sign from a class A misdemeanor to a class C misdemeanor (fine only). Failure to leave the premises when told to do so by a (owner/manager) person with authority will remain a class A misdemeanor (criminal trespass). The other important amendment makes clear that a peace officer should not stop a person merely because they see a person with a visible handgun in a belt or shoulder holster. These amendments improve on the language of the Senate bill and are changes we recommended.

We will be making the rounds to the remainder of the Senate staff to gain support for them. The reasons are that this is the law in jurisdictions which have had licensed carry before us. It is the law even if not included in the statute, but doing so provides clarity (guidance) to the law enforcement community. "What am I expected to do in this situation" is the number one question asked by our law enforcement contacts and was commented upon by Chairman Phillips during the floor debate. The amendment provides protection to license holders from being endlessly asked "papers please". Lastly, but not least importantly, it avoids a waste of precious law enforcement resources which can better be employed on other matters. It will help to make the transition in the law an orderly and uneventful process. In all actuality, all this amendment does is clarify the law as it currently stands with regards to constitutional detentions.
This is NOT, as suggested by some articles, an end run around licensing. If a police officer has other reason to stop an individual and that person is openly carrying (actually, carrying either openly or concealed) a handgun without benefit of a license, that individual will face some potentially very serious consequences.
Today, HB 905 which adds knives to the state pre-emption statute (Local Government Code Section 229) was passed by the House on the local and consent (uncontested) calendar. We hope to accomplish the same in the Senate. This is a significant change in the law because the statute provides a mechanism for the enforcement of Art. 1, Section 23 of our state Constitution to deal with ordinances enacted by cities such as Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas and others no doubt.

We hope to get HB 4061 to the House floor for a vote. It strengthens the enforcement process, prohibits enforcement of these ordinances, and provides that individuals may bring a court action as well as the Attorney General. This is also an important bill.
We are continuing to work on HB 3884 by Rep. Dutton which will remove knives from the prohibited weapons list of Section 46 Penal Code. There is an amendment we anticipate may be made to the bill to clarify that knives are still prohibited in schools (there is Federal law involved here too). I hope that this excellent bill will come to a vote in committee tomorrow. We anticipate favorable consideration of it as well as Rep. James White's HB 92 which would remove the prohibition of "bowie" knives (the statute does not capitalize the name) from Section 46 PC. Although it is not as broad as Rep. Dutton's bill we testified in support of it and support it as well. We hope to get these two fine bills on their way soon.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Random Friday night bump, for no reason whatsoever.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL.

Congrats to you soggy cowboys for getting something through the legislative machine. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

LOL.

Congrats to you soggy cowboys for getting something through the legislative machine. Keep up the good work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

It was an ugly, nasty slog.

Still hoping for campus carry tomorrow, we will see.  

Several good bills didn't make it this session because of the time and energy spent on open carry, but at least we got the ball rolling.

Still have work to do.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Several good bills didn't make it this session because of the time and energy spent on open carry, but at least we got the ball rolling.

Still have work to do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL.

Still have work to do.

Congrats Texas. Hope you guys do better than FL did. That last fuck up was nail biting.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#39]
The GOP is no friend to gun owners.  They are just more friendly than the Dems.  Marginally.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The GOP is no friend to gun owners.  They are just more friendly than the Dems.  Marginally.
View Quote

I use the term "less hostile" anymore.

From the March/April Firing Lines (NY SCOPE newsletter):

Despite the efforts of NY gun owners,Cuomo won reelection,even while losing 47 counties.However,in that election,enough Senators that voted for the SAFE Act were booted out of office to change the majority in the Senate.The Republicans hold a narrow majority.

We are told this is a good thing.Now there will be no SAFE Act 2.The Republican leadership wants you to believe they will protect your rights.Will we be played for fools again?

The Republican Senate leadership called for the message of necessity.Not one Senator from either party opposed that.After the election,every single Republican voted to retain the same leadership that gave us the SAFE Act.Now most of them say they are on your side and will protect your rights.

The rest is call your elected officials,demand they protect your rights,yada yada yada.Most Republicans know you wont vote Democrat,and that you will still vote for them because they are the lesser evil (like Romney),but in the end there are many Republicans who don't give a shit about being pro gun or pro freedom-it's just shit they say to get votes.

I'm lucky to live in a very pro gun area and every rep I have at all levels is pro gun (at least they say they are-time will tell,but so far so good).
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Despite the efforts of NY gun owners,Cuomo won reelection,even while losing 47 counties.However,in that election,enough Senators that voted for the SAFE Act were booted out of office to change the majority in the Senate.The Republicans hold a narrow majority.

We are told this is a good thing.Now there will be no SAFE Act 2.The Republican leadership wants you to believe they will protect your rights.Will we be played for fools again?

The Republican Senate leadership called for the message of necessity.Not one Senator from either party opposed that.After the election,every single Republican voted to retain the same leadership that gave us the SAFE Act.Now most of them say they are on your side and will protect your rights.

The rest is call your elected officials,demand they protect your rights,yada yada yada.Most Republicans know you wont vote Democrat,and that you will still vote for them because they are the lesser evil (like Romney),but in the end there are many Republicans who don't give a shit about being pro gun or pro freedom-it's just shit they say to get votes.

I'm lucky to live in a very pro gun area and every rep I have at all levels is pro gun (at least they say they are-time will tell,but so far so good).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Republicans in Texas trashed open carry.
WTF man.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Congrats Texas. Hope you guys do better than FL did. That last fuck up was nail biting.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

Still have work to do.

Reality is kicking the shit out of your thread title. Perhaps an edit is in order?

Do you want to enumerate the pro gun bills this legislature passed? It was a pretty good year.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
But the GOP is going through a major issue of voter apathy.
View Quote

In my case it is disgust that they are not doing their job to protect America from an America hater.  

They have control of the Senate and the House yet they act as if they can do nothing.

They have lost my vote in November 2016.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Reality is kicking the shit out of your thread title. Perhaps an edit is in order?

Do you want to enumerate the pro gun bills this legislature passed? It was a pretty good year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

Still have work to do.

Pretty much that.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In my case it is disgust that they are not doing their job to protect America from an America hater.  

They have control of the Senate and the House yet they act as if they can do nothing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But the GOP is going through a major issue of voter apathy.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm so glad that Adrian Wyllie didn't win the governor's seat of Florida last year, and that they changed the rules at the last hour to prevent him from appearing in the debates between the democrat and republican nominees.

It would have been horrible to have a governor here who actually cares about freedom, and especially those rights guaranteed by the Constitution.

Horrible I tell you, that the voters here might have actually woken up to the fact that the republican party is becoming a sham.

Horrible that we might have sent a message to Florida legislators that we're getting tired of their lies and their bullshit.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#48]
"Money talks, bullshit walks" as they say and "our" money (and gaze) is not what is speaking to them.  If enough of  it were, you'd see even the likes Pelosi speaking at gun industry conventions trying to push Sarah Palin offstage to Bogart the cameras.

I think it almost hilarious.  During the last gun panic you could not find a place to park in front of the local gun shops for weeks. Fervent "gun folk" scrambling for AR's, AK's and ammo. Coughing up thousands of dollars for stuff that normally sell for hundreds.  I know three at work who did this, but I also recall all three not even bothering to vote. Only one is member of a national gun lobby group.

If all those folks would have previously spent $5's worth of gasoline to go vote for the right congress critters (state and national) and previously allotted 5% of panic money to a gun lobby org, there would not be a problem.  

Oh, wait,...Dancing with the Stars is on.....           SHINEY  

Never mind.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I sometimes wonder who is trying to piss the most on this country Ds or Rs?

View Quote

This is GD so the answer is both.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#50]
It's not about Republican vs Democrat. There are liberals in both parties. Just a helluva lot more libs in the Dem party. A cold is still better than herpes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top