Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
"I'm woman, hear me roar!  I'm a strong independent women who don't need no man!  I can do anything a man can do!  The traditional model of domesticity is outdated, archaic, and puts down women!  I have no obligation to do anything for a man!!!!"  

"Now that we have kids, I'm quitting my job, you are obligated to take care of me!"

Often, you will hear and see these attitudes coming from the same woman.  

My first wife......card carrying man hater, EXCEPT when it came to benefiting from one economically.  Couldn't be bothered to keep a clean house, make any dinner, etc.  Bitched about me not helping....even though she quit her full time job and exchanged it for a part time job two days a week for a grand total of 15 hours a week.  She would have quit entirely, except when she decided to trade in her paid-off car that was in great shape for a brand new one....I told her that she would have to make the payments because I wouldn't pay for such a stupid move when we were trying to save up to buy a house.  

Funny story about that - the salesperson was a fellow 20-something girl.  A classmate of mine also worked at that dealership.  Later it was reported to me that my wife said "my husband really doesn't want me to buy it" and the sales girl closed on her by saying "You're not going to let your husband tell you what to do, are you?"    She bought the car.

A year later, she is only working enough to pay that car payment, and a farm comes up for sale near her parents.  Then she is begging me "we should buy it!!!  We need to buy it!!!!  Can we pleeeeeeeeese buy it?"

I made it happen, only to suffer through two years of being house-poor, and then getting fucked over by her in the divorce because she wouldn't sign it over to me.  Her boyfriend that she had been counting on moving into it with, couldn't hold a job, and she couldn't afford it by herself, yet she thought she was entitled to it.  In her words, "if I can't have it, nobody is gonna have it".

Modern American women - having their cake and eating it too since "no fault divorce".  Don't want to contribute anything except to the children, if that.  Lots of take, very little give.  There are still some great women out there.....we have a bunch in this forum.  But you have to really work to sort the wheat from the chaff thanks to the Tribalism that Feminism has become.  Thanks to tribalism, a large percentage of people can be totally fucked up, falsely labeling their positions as good things, gain assistance and validation from a complicit media.....Bam.....a tribe of fucked up people centered around race, sex, creed, religion, whatever.  And invariably, it's about ENTITLEMENT, and getting one over on another group.  

The entitlement runs really deep with some.  11 years later, I'm with my current (and totally awesome) wife, on our way to the courthouse for a hearing with her ex-husband to find him in contempt for stealing her retirement fund in their divorce, among other issues.  My cell phone rings, it's some attorney group representing a credit card company.  They introduce themselves and give me the "this is an attempt to collect a debt" spiel, then ask "when can we expect you to settle this $xxxxx obligation Mr. XXXXX?  I asked "who does this account belong to?"  It was my first ex-wife!  I asked "when was this account opened?"  Two years ago.  "Why are you calling me?"  GET THIS: "Sir, she listed you as the responsible party on the account".    After informing him that we divorced in 2003, he profusely apologised and promised I wouldn't be hearing from them again.  

Yeah, I made a horrible decision there, right?  By contrast, a buddy of mine lucked out...or he did it right, you pick.  Married his high school sweetheart.  They started dating Senior year of high school.  After high school he went to work in a printing plant and started playing music, she went to college and then law school.  They got married and eventually when she was named a partner at her firm (not long after having their second child) they decided that he should quit work and stay home with the kids.  He's still playing music and making a little money there.  They bought a huge, beautiful new home and she bought him a shop full of woodworking machines.  He's now making some good money making stuff in his shop while also taking care of the house and watching the kids.  He's a great cook too.  They are really happy and it works for them.  They are BOTH really great people....with flaws, but awesome people nonetheless.      

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI......you want "equality"   you're gonna take the bad with the good.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife makes a quarter of what I do, she could easily stay home.  However, she has good benefits (state) and what she makes is enough to keep all of our stuff and still eat.

Her job is our insurance policy, it means I can take some chances, it means that if I get outsourced or I am between contracts no one panics, it just means this years vacation is a car trip and cabin somewhere.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We don't fit under any provisions of the common law, so no. Not worried.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
II have a very young, eastern, non traditional view on marriage. (Not from DU) My girlfriend and I, who have been dating for 4 years and live together, refuse to get married till we are into our 30's. (7-8 years away). Won't have kids till much later. she wants to work and not have to deal with kids. I wouldn't want her to quit working, but I wouldn't want her to work if we had kids. I would rather be well enough off with no debt before having kids, where having her work or not is not an issue.

I think the traditional view on marriage and getting married young causes this discussion in the OP.

Hey Colorado boy, be careful about the laws in your state.

You are essentially married according to common law and your girlfriend can take you to the cleaners if she wants to.

We don't fit under any provisions of the common law, so no. Not worried.

It's good that you checked, my friend recently got screwed because he didn't pay attention to this law.

By the way, I did live in Colorado for quite some time before moving back to Alabama.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many women profess to want "equality" but they don't.  What they want is "everything".  IOW, they want to be financially taken care of, but they don't want to be obligated to return the favor.  They want to be the "fairer sex" when it is advantageous, but quickly ditch that when it's convenient.  Like the race baiters in Ferguson and Baltimore, "equality" has devolved into a nice sounding name for "favorable treatment, at someone else's expense", in this case, men.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I was the one who brought up that my wife could stay home. It's good as long as they realize they aren't staying home because you're nice and letting them not work. It's because you expect them to take on raising the children and doing the house work.

Many women treat it like retirement. I've been getting on my wife's case for two years about cleaning. She's finally coming around but still has a lot to work on.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Many women profess to want "equality" but they don't.  What they want is "everything".  IOW, they want to be financially taken care of, but they don't want to be obligated to return the favor.  They want to be the "fairer sex" when it is advantageous, but quickly ditch that when it's convenient.  Like the race baiters in Ferguson and Baltimore, "equality" has devolved into a nice sounding name for "favorable treatment, at someone else's expense", in this case, men.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Equality baiter!!!

We should trademark that!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The very idea of becoming a dependent, of anyone, grates on my soul.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Men can choose to forego getting an education. They could opt to be househusbands as well, assuming they wanted to be and had wives willing to support that. I know a few men on this board that have taken that route. Most men don't make those choices, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think that it's adorable in our current day and age that women still act like they have a choice whether or not they should work, provide for themselves, get an education, or be self-sufficient while it's expected that men are still supposed to keep dragging the family along and sacrificing everything for it.

Men can choose to forego getting an education. They could opt to be househusbands as well, assuming they wanted to be and had wives willing to support that. I know a few men on this board that have taken that route. Most men don't make those choices, though.

Interesting.  My wife is a housewife and she didn't forego getting an education.  I have female neighbors, some of whom work and some who are homemakers, and I'm not aware of any who forewent their education.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think that it's adorable in our current day and age that women still act like they have a choice whether or not they should work, provide for themselves, get an education, or be self-sufficient while it's expected that men are still supposed to keep dragging the family along and sacrificing everything for it.
View Quote

Oh, so unfair.

Life is hard isn't it?

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Interesting.  My wife is a housewife and she didn't forego getting an education.  I have female neighbors, some of whom work and some who are homemakers, and I'm not aware of any who forewent their education.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know many housewives that don't get an education. I think most people in general want an education. Sure, they can choose not to, but most people offered the choice choose to get an education.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Run the numbers. What does it cost for her to bring home her paycheck? Childcare, gas, wear and tear on a second vehicle, wardrobe (cleaning, etc). Marginal tax rate hit..

Sometimes it's cheaper for her to stay at home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife quit her job as soon as it was economically feasible.

Run the numbers. What does it cost for her to bring home her paycheck? Childcare, gas, wear and tear on a second vehicle, wardrobe (cleaning, etc). Marginal tax rate hit..

Sometimes it's cheaper for her to stay at home.

That's what happened for my family. We had one child in daycare, I was working in Real Estate (not an agent) and my hours kept getting cut. Finally one day my husband told me I should go into work tomorrow and tell them I was going to cut my hours completely. After all the expenses you mentioned we were actually paying for me to have a job. We made some adjustments to our living situation (got rid of our second car, stopped going out to eat, going to movies, etc) and things are working out really well for us. We had our second child 3 years ago and when he starts school I'll go back to work part time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same reason some men think it's perfectly acceptable to demand their wives quit working once they're married: selfishness and lack of consideration or respect for their spouse.

Now, if you want to talk about the broken family court system, that's a tangential discussion. That's not the reason unilateral decisions get made, or why people think it's OK to make them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is more of a conceptual discussion. I want to know why people would think it's OK for somebody who was previously financially independent and career-driven to arbitrarily decide that they no longer wish to be financially independent or career-driven. That's fine, they have the right to do that, but they do not (or rather should not) have freedom from the consequences. Based on what I hear (and yes, I know the plural of anecdote is not data), in terms of divorce and asset separation women in particular are financially insulated from this.

Same reason some men think it's perfectly acceptable to demand their wives quit working once they're married: selfishness and lack of consideration or respect for their spouse.

Now, if you want to talk about the broken family court system, that's a tangential discussion. That's not the reason unilateral decisions get made, or why people think it's OK to make them.

I'm not convinced that the legal system doesn't influence people's expectations and choices.  A person who knows that a safety net is in place is more easily influenced to jump than if there were no safety net.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

She's going to wait until 30 to get married, then won't have kids until "much later" - Your going to run into some problems with that plan.  As long as you want to adopt it shouldn't be a big deal, but if she want's to try for a natural born child I would highly encourage not waiting that long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
II have a very young, eastern, non traditional view on marriage. (Not from DU) My girlfriend and I, who have been dating for 4 years and live together, refuse to get married till we are into our 30's. (7-8 years away). Won't have kids till much later. she wants to work and not have to deal with kids. I wouldn't want her to quit working, but I wouldn't want her to work if we had kids. I would rather be well enough off with no debt before having kids, where having her work or not is not an issue.

I think the traditional view on marriage and getting married young causes this discussion in the OP.

She's going to wait until 30 to get married, then won't have kids until "much later" - Your going to run into some problems with that plan.  As long as you want to adopt it shouldn't be a big deal, but if she want's to try for a natural born child I would highly encourage not waiting that long.

She doesn't want to, "have to deal with kids."  As far as I can tell, her plan is going exactly as she'd prefer it.  I wouldn't be surprised if the kids never become a priority and never come into their relationship.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The days of the Ward working and June staying home to watch Wally and the Beaver are over.  A single income rarely pays for a house, car, food and utilities in a city anymore.  BTW, there was another show where the husband was an architect, his wife did wifey things including watching the six kids and they had a maid!  A middle class income with a maid.  Not anymore today.
View Quote

We do it.  We wait for sales to buy a lot of things like clothes and certain groceries, my car is nothing to brag about, and we were the last in my family to get smartphones, but we budget and make do on a single income.  It can be done.  It just involves adjusting expectations about a lot of "wants".
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was the one who brought up that my wife could stay home. It's good as long as they realize they aren't staying home because you're nice and letting them not work. It's because you expect them to take on raising the children and doing the house work.

Many women treat it like retirement. I've been getting on my wife's case for two years about cleaning. She's finally coming around but still has a lot to work on.
View Quote

Have your wife check out http://www.flylady.net/. It's been a huge help in keeping our house clean and clutter-free.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't know many housewives that don't get an education. I think most people in general want an education. Sure, they can choose not to, but most people offered the choice choose to get an education.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If for no other reason to have in the back pocket should the worst happen.  If I were to die tomorrow my life insurance would help my wife and kids live financially independent long enough for her to polish up her employable skills and re-enter the workforce without having to rush or worry.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Wife currently is SAHM, she works part time (in the salon I built into the house). She may do five or six clients a week and then nothing for two weeks. When all the kids are in school I expect her to pick up the schedule a little but only so she has something to keep her busy. This setup is perfect for her because she can easily bang out a thousand bucks a week only taking 5-6 people. I'm trying to convince her to only work one day a week and keep her clientele at a point where she can take a few new people and kick out the pain in the asses.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I actually had a similar conversation with my ex-wife. At that point we could easily have afforded the old house on my salary at the time. I said that if she were to quit her job and stay home, then it was my expectation that she cook and clean because I wasn't simply paying for her to sit on the couch all day.

She actually changed her mind after that. I remember it scaring me because I believed she really was planning on just sitting around all day watching TV.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The days of the Ward working and June staying home to watch Wally and the Beaver are over.  A single income rarely pays for a house, car, food and utilities in a city anymore.  BTW, there was another show where the husband was an architect, his wife did wifey things including watching the six kids and they had a maid!  A middle class income with a maid.  Not anymore today.
View Quote

My wife and I just had this conversation. Bottom line is we have debt we are paying off that accrued due to the economy, and we are about six months from outright owning our home. At the end of the day though, we don't have the extra cash to spend on guns, vacations, hobbies etc. Our life consists of school/work, home, some baseball or volleyball games for the kids. Our oldest will be out of high school in four years and it scares the hell out of us that she might not remember her childhood as "fun", and "fun" a lot of time these days requires money. All of this on top of keeping the lights on, eating, etc...
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm not convinced that the legal system doesn't influence people's expectations and choices.  A person who knows that a safety net is in place is more easily influenced to jump than if there were no safety net.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is more of a conceptual discussion. I want to know why people would think it's OK for somebody who was previously financially independent and career-driven to arbitrarily decide that they no longer wish to be financially independent or career-driven. That's fine, they have the right to do that, but they do not (or rather should not) have freedom from the consequences. Based on what I hear (and yes, I know the plural of anecdote is not data), in terms of divorce and asset separation women in particular are financially insulated from this.

However, that's not the reason such decisions get made. Selfishness, lack of consideration, and lack of respect are the reasons. A safety net isn't going to make a loving, respectful, selfless relationship turn sour, or make the people people in those relationships suddenly start making unilateral decisions about the future of their family.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Permission, cute.

Before we had a baby my wife and I decided we wanted a stay at home parent.  We laid out a time table, looked at who could make more by then.  Ta-da, I work, she watches the little one.  Her job is harder and were happier for it.  

He has a right to his opinion, I have a right to mine.  Sounds like the problem is his wife is lazy without a "boss"
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

However, that's not the reason such decisions get made. Selfishness, lack of consideration, and lack of respect are the reasons. A safety net isn't going to make a loving, respectful, selfless relationship turn sour, or make the people people in those relationships suddenly start making unilateral decisions about the future of their family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why I specifically said, "influence."  Many decisions build up over time and big decisions are often a compilation of little ones.  The legal system is one factor.

Yes, selfishness is a common denominator among many human failings.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
She doesn't want to, "have to deal with kids." As far as I can tell, her plan is going exactly as she'd prefer it. I wouldn't be surprised if the kids never become a priority and never come into their relationship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's going to wait until 30 to get married, then won't have kids until "much later" - Your going to run into some problems with that plan. As long as you want to adopt it shouldn't be a big deal, but if she want's to try for a natural born child I would highly encourage not waiting that long.

She doesn't want to, "have to deal with kids." As far as I can tell, her plan is going exactly as she'd prefer it. I wouldn't be surprised if the kids never become a priority and never come into their relationship.

Is this a comment from a different thread?  Kids are important to me.  I am very thankful for my wife and children.  I believe the majority of people who skip out on children will regret their decision before the end of their life.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is this a comment from a different thread?  Kids are important to me.  I am very thankful for my wife and children.  I believe the majority of people who skip out on children will regret their decision before the end of their life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's going to wait until 30 to get married, then won't have kids until "much later" - Your going to run into some problems with that plan. As long as you want to adopt it shouldn't be a big deal, but if she want's to try for a natural born child I would highly encourage not waiting that long.

I'm addressing both you and NEASGNoMercy.  I can tell from your previous post that you appreciate and value kids.  I'm just pointing out that, from the information NEASGNoMercy posted, his girlfriend may not want kids at all.  A woman that wants kids usually doesn't agree to putting them off until "much later" than age 30...saying that she doesn't "want to deal with them."
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

At the end of the day though, we don't have the extra cash to spend on guns, vacations, hobbies etc. Our life consists of school/work, home, some baseball or volleyball games for the kids. Our oldest will be out of high school in four years and it scares the hell out of us that she might not remember her childhood as "fun", and "fun" a lot of time these days requires money. All of this on top of keeping the lights on, eating, etc...
View Quote

My kids are 28, 27, and 18 (graduating high school in two weeks). What your kids will remember is the sacrifice you made for them, not the expensive "fun" things they didn't have. They remember the time you spent with them and the time the family spent together above anything else.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My wife and I just had this conversation. Bottom line is we have debt we are paying off that accrued due to the economy, and we are about six months from outright owning our home. At the end of the day though, we don't have the extra cash to spend on guns, vacations, hobbies etc. Our life consists of school/work, home, some baseball or volleyball games for the kids. Our oldest will be out of high school in four years and it scares the hell out of us that she might not remember her childhood as "fun", and "fun" a lot of time these days requires money. All of this on top of keeping the lights on, eating, etc...
View Quote

I wouldn't worry about the looking back on childhood as 'fun' or not.  The best parts I remember as fun were free.  Nobody should hate their childhood cause they didn't get to go to disney land for example.

I talked my wife in to not working so we could have another kid and she's happy with it but talks about wanting to go back to work once school starts.  It was a decision we made together, and if you haven't already talked about those expectations BEFORE marriage you're doing relationships wrong.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Have your wife check out http://www.flylady.net/. It's been a huge help in keeping our house clean and clutter-free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

She didn't like it. She always finds one particular thing she doesn't like about stuff like that and throws the entire thing out.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't know who you hang out with, but I have NEVER heard or seen that among any of our friends or acquaintances, nor have I ever met someone who "simply quit their job" and let the spouse work.

However, if you are talking about the specific choice of child-rearing (and the tradeoffs between a second income vs. daycare costs, home-schooling, etc.), then most MEN would probably agree that all things being equal, the mother is probably a slightly better choice to stay at home with small children than the father.  Biology and science and shit.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, from everything that I've seen so far only women have the right to choose whether or not they decide to work, and men are forced to respect that choice.

Househusbands didn't just say one day they don't feel like working anymore, it was a long and drawn out discussion. A discussion many men aren't allowed to have when their wives simply quit their jobs.

I don't know who you hang out with, but I have NEVER heard or seen that among any of our friends or acquaintances, nor have I ever met someone who "simply quit their job" and let the spouse work.

However, if you are talking about the specific choice of child-rearing (and the tradeoffs between a second income vs. daycare costs, home-schooling, etc.), then most MEN would probably agree that all things being equal, the mother is probably a slightly better choice to stay at home with small children than the father.  Biology and science and shit.  

Forget it.  He's rollin'
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I am a stay at home husband, my wife and I love it.  I do the maintenance at her practice and cook and clean.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
She didn't like it. She always finds one particular thing she doesn't like about stuff like that and throws the entire thing out.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh. Well the only other thing I've got is this.

http://www.justmommies.com/articles/home-organization-plan.php
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

blame the courts. she could, at any time, for any reason - divorce him and stay home while the STATE forces him to work, sacrificing everything.
she's doing him a favor by staying there and allowing him to only have to cover rent on one place . . . .

because men and women are equal, or something.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Good luck with that.

My wife was the primary breadwinner.   Made double my salary.   Didn't want to work.    I told her that there was no way we could afford her to be stay-at-home.

She quit her job, divorced me, played the poor "I'm a mom at home" card and took 3/4 of my salary between alimony and child support.

You aren't "not letting your wife" do anything.   If they want to stay at home, they'll stay at home and make you pay for it one way or the other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry if this is a dupe, I didn't see anything posted.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/05/04/columnist-why-i-wont-let-my-wife-quit-her-job/26860553/

I heard about this on the radio yesterday and it seemed like lots of henpecked / suck-up men were decrying this as some sort of horrible thing.

I don't know this guy and I don't know if he's a regular columnist. He does not seem like a particularly good writer. He also comes off a little abrasive (perhaps jerk is the word), but I don't understand the outcry.

Personally, I tend to think that if a household is going to be a single-earner household, then the person who is providing financially for the household should have a say in that. Of course, I would think a good relationship should have these sorts of expectations laid out prior to having children or getting married, but whatever.

I guess what I heard on the radio yesterday is that a woman has every right to quit her job, stay at home, and have a man provide for her if she so desires, which sounds like entitlement syndrome to me.

Good luck with that.

My wife was the primary breadwinner.   Made double my salary.   Didn't want to work.    I told her that there was no way we could afford her to be stay-at-home.

She quit her job, divorced me, played the poor "I'm a mom at home" card and took 3/4 of my salary between alimony and child support.

You aren't "not letting your wife" do anything.   If they want to stay at home, they'll stay at home and make you pay for it one way or the other.

your story should be the poster child story for "the courts are broken and men are being raped." if the roles were reversed, a judge would ABSOLUTELY force you to pay alimony commensurate with your old salary and force you to get that job back.

I am shocked. SHOCKED the more men who get divorced don't just kill their ex's.  MOST that I know would be better off after 4 years of prison with a dead ex than they are now.

my best friends Dad has been paying alimony for 30 something years and my buddy's Mom has been living with the same guy that whole time. She won't marry him because she'd lose the alimony, and the new guy is pretty well off. they have a huge house on a golf course and both drive caddy's.

I am always angry with him because he goes to visit the Mom. I keep telling him that that money-grubbing whore should be cut off until she stops raping his Dad, but of course it's his family. . . .

anyway, so sorry about your story and what happened to you. women who cry about equality should be beaten with your court papers every time they open their cock-holster. funny how none of them ever seem to want to fix selective service either. can you tell that your story has me a bit hot ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You are essentially married according to common law and your girlfriend can take you to the cleaners if she wants to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep. common law.   can't even imagine how many men have been super shocked by this one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My ex wanted to quit a good-paying teaching job.  We had a daughter in college and couldn't get by on one salary.

BTW: Her spoken opinion was that any man who cannot support his family on his salary alone was a "loser."

She stayed in her job.....and made the kids and me miserable.

A year later she wanted to quit again.  I told her go ahead because when she was working she made our lives miserable.

She became a stay-at-home.....and didn't do jack shit at home.

Financially it pushed us to the breaking point.  She eventually got another teaching job, created her own checking account, and kept half her pay to herself....contributing nothing toward the care and feeding of the kids.  6 months later she left and gave me nothing to feed and house the kids with.

We were together for 30 years.  Been divorced just over 10.  Though we have two kids and 4 grandchildren, we have zero contact with each other.

I have seen her 3 times in 10 years.  And only at birthday parties for the grand kids.  Our children have little or nothing to do with her.

Money and kids destroy most marriages.  The biggest money problems are a result of people trying to live above their means.

If your life style takes two paychecks, start trimming your lifestyle.  If your marriage fails, trust me, all those dinner outs and vacations and stuff won't mean shit.

My marriage was doomed.  But many that fail break for the wrong reasons.
View Quote

it was refreshing to not hear anything about alimony or pensions in this story. thank god for that, at least.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

your story should be the poster child story for "the courts are broken and men are being raped." if the roles were reversed, a judge would ABSOLUTELY force you to pay alimony commensurate with your old salary and force you to get that job back.

I am shocked. SHOCKED the more men who get divorced don't just kill their ex's.  MOST that I know would be better off after 4 years of prison with a dead ex than they are now.

my best friends Dad has been paying alimony for 30 something years and my buddy's Mom has been living with the same guy that whole time. She won't marry him because she'd lose the alimony, and the new guy is pretty well off. they have a huge house on a golf course and both drive caddy's.

I am always angry with him because he goes to visit the Mom. I keep telling him that that money-grubbing whore should be cut off until she stops raping his Dad, but of course it's his family. . . .

anyway, so sorry about your story and what happened to you. women who cry about equality should be beaten with your court papers every time they open their cock-holster. funny how none of them ever seem to want to fix selective service either. can you tell that your story has me a bit hot ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/05/04/columnist-why-i-wont-let-my-wife-quit-her-job/26860553/

I heard about this on the radio yesterday and it seemed like lots of henpecked / suck-up men were decrying this as some sort of horrible thing.

I don't know this guy and I don't know if he's a regular columnist. He does not seem like a particularly good writer. He also comes off a little abrasive (perhaps jerk is the word), but I don't understand the outcry.

Personally, I tend to think that if a household is going to be a single-earner household, then the person who is providing financially for the household should have a say in that. Of course, I would think a good relationship should have these sorts of expectations laid out prior to having children or getting married, but whatever.

I guess what I heard on the radio yesterday is that a woman has every right to quit her job, stay at home, and have a man provide for her if she so desires, which sounds like entitlement syndrome to me.

Good luck with that.

Your buddy won't do what's right, because he benefits from mom and the money.  

Same reason our stepson keeps kissing his drug addict, abusive, unstable, thieving, refuses to support his own kids in ANY way, soon to be a convicted felon dad's ass.  Because the ONLY time the dad does anything to support either of the kids.....it's ONLY when the son goes to visit, and it's ONLY in the form of taking little Johnny wherever he wants to go, feeding him whatever he wants to eat, and buying him whatever toys/designer clothes/shoes/vids he wants....again only when he is visiting him.  He dumped their health insurance, and has not paid child support consistently at ALL in the three years I've been in the mix.  And now that dad is out on bail sitting on his ass with an ankle bracelet and no money, he's having second thoughts about going there for the summer this year.  Even though it was he who convinced his dad to fight us for it last year (which cost me $10k in attorney fees).  To be fair, it probably didn't take too much convincing, but fuckin A - 15 years old, works it out with his dad to fight us for an extra month of time there, costs me $10k, and the next summer he's not sure he wants to go.    I'm considering putting my foot down and telling wife that he's fucking GOING whether he "wants to" or not.....my mom raised me like that.  "You wanted it, you GOT IT".
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

brady bunch. and they had one car. yeah, not very realistic today.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Couples should do what is best for the couple.

This idea that anyone but the people involved in a relationship should have dick to say about that relationship is stupid.

It's insulting that the emotional guilt-trip crap is used whenever a princess doesn't get what she wants/thinks other princesses should get.

Not your relationship?  STFU.  

Every single reply should have been "do what works for your situation."  But it's not.  Because people love to tell others what they should do/should buy/should have.
View Quote

geez. change that and you might as well shut this site down.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Oh, so unfair.

Life is hard isn't it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, so unfair.

Life is hard isn't it?

so you think that's OK, then ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I married a younger woman with a career and good benefits. Hoping to retire early.
View Quote

Yeah, keep dreaming, you won't retire until she does.

[know 4 guys still working because their wife is younger and every time they talk about retiring, their wife has a fit. If she has to work, then HE has to work.]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Same reason our stepson keeps kissing his drug addict, abusive, unstable, thieving, refuses to support his own kids in ANY way, soon to be a convicted felon dad's ass.  Because the ONLY time the dad does anything to support either of the kids.....it's ONLY when the son goes to visit, and it's ONLY in the form of taking little Johnny wherever he wants to go, feeding him whatever he wants to eat, and buying him whatever toys/designer clothes/shoes/vids he wants....again only when he is visiting him.  He dumped their health insurance, and has not paid child support consistently at ALL in the three years I've been in the mix.  And now that dad is out on bail sitting on his ass with an ankle bracelet and no money, he's having second thoughts about going there for the summer this year.  Even though it was he who convinced his dad to fight us for it last year (which cost me $10k in attorney fees).  To be fair, it probably didn't take too much convincing, but fuckin A - 15 years old, works it out with his dad to fight us for an extra month of time there, costs me $10k, and the next summer he's not sure he wants to go.    I'm considering putting my foot down and telling wife that he's fucking GOING whether he "wants to" or not.....my mom raised me like that.  "You wanted it, you GOT IT".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck with that.

wow. what a story. it's crazy how much lawyers cost. what a nightmare.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got it minus the maid, could probably swing a live in third worlder if I wanted....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top