Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Some good, some bad (same as men) with the caveat that I stay out of the office politics and gossip mongering that seems to occur at a higher rate with a group of women.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
There needs to be a male to female ratio.  If its all women it is guaranteed to end up in a cat fight over everything.  

In my office there is 4 women and 3 men and its just right.  In a few other agencies we work with the ratio is heavily female and they fight and snarl at each other all the time and the men just try to maneuver through it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now this is BS right here.
No we don't.

I am not a talker at work because i have to work.
But the males I work with won't shut up. It is constant what the wife did that he was pissed about, what they grilled and their recipes, who they are going to play in the fantasy sports teams.
One goes back and forth with psycho worst ever chick boss about everyone else on the floor and he says the most offensive things.
Don't even lay down this kind of massive steamy pile of

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They talk about everything and 15 times more than I do. I used to sit in my office with the door closed so I could concentrate on the technical aspects of my work but the powers that be wanted me to be more accessible and asked me to leave it open. Thinking about earplugs. It also makes me nuts when they start doing it in Spanish so I guess I'm a racist too.

I've never worked for a woman.
No we don't.

But the males I work with won't shut up. It is constant what the wife did that he was pissed about, what they grilled and their recipes, who they are going to play in the fantasy sports teams.
One goes back and forth with psycho worst ever chick boss about everyone else on the floor and he says the most offensive things.

I'll back you on this.  I work LE and the males are some gossiping mofos.   Very effective rat line too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hit or miss. No different than working with men IMO.
View Quote

This. Although the single worst boss I ever had was a woman. Lady would eat her children if it would get her ahead, and she had no problem using her team to make herself look good and take all the credit. Not afraid to leave a bloody trail behind her.

But she eventually got what she deserved, professionally. The ax.

The single "dumbest" boss I ever had was a man. Very very nice guy. Smart engineer. Horrific leader of people. Absolutely ZERO common sense and people-leading skills. He, also, was eventually "walked to the door".

Different companies.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been lucky and have only had a few douchebag bosses. they were men
I'm in the process of being moved to a different department and will have a female boss again. she seems ok so far

thing that I've always hated about working with groups of women (say 3 or more on the same team or sitting in the same area of a low wall cube farm) is the amount of gossiping and bad mouthing they do with each other about the other women they work with as soon as one goes to the bathroom or otherwise isn't around. then when a different one goes on break they all bad mouth that one. Do they not realize that they get bad mouthed when they're the one that isn't around?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I enjoy working with women.  Of the 4 actual supervisors I've had, 3 were a bit tough to get along with, not because they were women, but because they micromanaged.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Worked for a woman at my first job, after about year we got into an argument that I easily won, which resulted in my firing right then and there Best thing that ever happened to me, bitch.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't report to a woman but i work almost exclusively with women.

My observations:

They all hate each other and the "alliances" shift daily or depending who's in the room.

Completely incapable of putting themselves in the other persons shoes and seeing what a fucking loon they're acting like.

100% more likely than a man to say "That's not my job" when asked to complete a task.

They think them doing their job somehow correlates with somebody else doing theirs. ie "Becky hasn't done shit for 10 minutes so I'm just going to stand here until she starts working again."

We're mostly staffed by temps and the departments with the highest turn over are the ones that are mostly women and in those departments the number one reason a temp quits is because the full timers refuse to help/generally treat them like shit.
Note: As I said we fill floor positions from temp agencies so this behavior might also be attributed to the sample being almost entirely  comprised of ignorant hill billies and ghetto trash.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My current sup. is a chick and she's cool.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
My experience working for/with women has been as mixed as working for/with men. Not really different for me... since I am a man.

My observations of women working for/with women on the other hand is just freaking weird. Watched many more conflicts between folks I got along with fine as individuals. My wife said it was to be expected.  I don't get it, and never will.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Worst boss I ever had was male. On a (curve) scale of 1 being frikken outstanding and 10 being a total moron, he was the 10!

I've worked for a half dozen women and the worst was only about a 6.  The best was a solid 2.  

My current boss is also a woman and is currently hovering around the 5 area.  

She had no real experience or qualifications for this job and only got it because of her brown nosing and political skills.  

Steep learning curve and she is still learning though, so she still has time/room to go up or down the scale.  She did replace a 7 male though, so I really can't complain.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#12]
co-worker wise, nothing "bad" per say.  for the most part just as much a worker as the male counterpart.  the only thing i notice is they take ALOT more sick days (themself / kids), come in late  or leave early (kids), and when they get preggers they will b gone for 4-6 months (understandable as they are having a kid).  vs the male counterpart who may occasionally leave early  and rarely come in late.  

supervisor wise, ive had only 3 female bosses.  first 1 were recently promoted and went on power trips and within 6 months had to fine a new "home".  the 3rd was an awesome boss and treated everyone like an adult and with respect.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't do it.    Work in the gas/oil field, you won't see many in the field.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#14]
For the most part it's good.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No we don't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They talk about everything and 15 times more than I do. I used to sit in my office with the door closed so I could concentrate on the technical aspects of my work but the powers that be wanted me to be more accessible and asked me to leave it open. Thinking about earplugs. It also makes me nuts when they start doing it in Spanish so I guess I'm a racist too.

I've never worked for a woman.
No we don't.

Then I guess we both have it bad but that is my situation. Deal with it. They never shut up unless they're gone for lunch. If it cut's both ways then so be it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#16]
IME the problem with women in the work place is the way the men react to them. Not the fault of the women usually. But bring in a hot female employee and suddenly everyone elses IQ's drop. Just what Ive noticed working in both all male and mixed gender workplaces.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Worked for only two women.

One was a solid, dependable person and a good boss.

The other thought she needed to emulate male bosses in the company.

By that I mean she emulated the bad qualities most of us could recognize in a boss.

I have seen that in a few corporations.  They emulate what they think a man would do and its usually was what a  pushy, jackass man would run things like.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I can only speak from working for one woman, my current boss.  I like it, but there is a chance she may be exceptional and not representative of the majority. If I can hang in until October it will be 22 years.

Working with women? A mixed bag. There are 5 of them at work (including the boss) besides me and only 2 other guys on a daily basis who barely overlap my shift. So it's mostly me and the women all day.  

I like them all, but I really think working with them all day is part of the reason I am not married.  I'll just say I appreciate the peace and quiet when I go home

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I have to say, the one female supervisor I've reported to, was one of the better ones I've had.

She didn't play favorites with her reports, was helpful with technical questions, and refused to toss any member of her crew under the bus in front of management.

Most of the women I've worked with over the years have been fairly professional. Then again, I'm an engineer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The more I have to interact with women that are in a managerial role, or have assumed responsibilities that give them a position of power, the more I dislike it.  Out of probably a dozen women I've either reported to or were women in positions of power that I had to interact with, I'd say only about a third of them were what I would call fair and reasonable.

The rest were essentially tyrants..

Equal number of males I've reported to/interacted with, their expectations seemed much more reasonable.
View Quote

BOLD: With few exceptions, I've found them to be mostly push-overs.

I had a huge thing typed out about my current female supervisor but I'll pass on sharing. I've found true leadership to be a rare commodity across both (or is it all, now?) genders.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#21]
They have a completely different thought process then men. Sometimes they reach the same conclusions but most of the time it's-

These days some women are trying to think, act, and be like a man and that completely makes life all kinds of crazy.

Looking back at my working career.....I tolerated the women I worked with but I never enjoyed it. I can count the women I worked on one hand that were good at what they did. The absolute worst are the ones that have some power over people. Female cops, and Judges, and IRS managers are completely insufferable.

I work for my wife now....and she is amazing. She is a great leader-and allows me to guide her when she needs it.

The TL; DR.  Women belong in the kitchen making samwiches and coffee in the AM. Our country went to shit when they started to think they could work outside the house.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I never worked with a single blue collar man who said, "shit, I wish I had a woman boss."
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I HATE WORKING FOR WOMEN.
I would say three out of the 30 I have worked for or with were good supervisors. The rest feel being a total catty back stabbing bitch IS a management style.
The one I am working for right now is BAT GUANO INSANE.

I have worked for my share of cut throat idot males as well but I would rather work with men than a brood of woman any day.
PS I am a woman.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The more I have to interact with women that are in a managerial role, or have assumed responsibilities that give them a position of power, the more I dislike it.  Out of probably a dozen women I've either reported to or were women in positions of power that I had to interact with, I'd say only about a third of them were what I would call fair and reasonable.

Equal number of males I've reported to/interacted with, their expectations seemed much more reasonable.

I HATE WORKING FOR WOMEN.
I would say three out of the 30 I have worked for or with were good supervisors. The rest feel being a total catty back stabbing bitch IS a management style.
The one I am working for right now is BAT GUANO INSANE.

I have worked for my share of cut throat idot males as well but I would rather work with men than a brood of woman any day.
PS I am a woman.

Dare I guess you are much better looking then them?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I've worked for some, and I've been in charge of some.

Some are great, some were a total, useless pain in the ass.  Same story with guys I've worked for or with.

Currently work with a woman (shes in charge, but not my direct supervisor) who is great and says she will never work for another woman again lol  She says they were always a pain in the ass lol
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My current sup. is a chick and she's cool.
View Quote

This.   Just like guys, some are good and some are bad.

I've worked with some who work their asses off, and I've worked with some who wouldn't lift a finger lest they break a nail.  And I've worked with some guys who work their asses off, and some who whine more than 5 year old children.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They have a completely different thought process then men. Sometimes they reach the same conclusions but most of the time it's-

These days some women are trying to think, act, and be like a man and that completely makes life all kinds of crazy.

Looking back at my working career.....I tolerated the women I worked with but I never enjoyed it. I can count the women I worked on one hand that were good at what they did. The absolute worst are the ones that have some power over people. Female cops, and Judges, and IRS managers are completely insufferable.

I work for my wife now....and she is amazing. She is a great leader-and allows me to guide her when she needs it.

The TL; DR.  Women belong in the kitchen making samwiches and coffee in the AM. Our country went to shit when they started to think they could work outside the house.
View Quote

Here we go!

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Had good and bad ones.

Had plenty of goofball male bosses too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Thankfully I have never had a female supervisor. I have always worked in male dominated environments.

I did however supervise a crew with 5 women on it.

Never again. Never. Again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#29]

I've worked for a few. In my experience, each one is different and will either be cool or shitty to work for, just like men.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#30]
All the bad bosses I've had as an adult were all men.  There are plenty of women in tech jobs that are good bosses in my experience.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I can say when I worked with them in the Marine Corps they were the worst to deal with.  

The women that I've worked retail and security with have been equally as bad, they have been lazy and were willing to throw you under the bus if they were going to get into trouble.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I have worked for two women in my career,I never had an issue with either.
I actually have seen the opposite affect where women who work for women get raked over the coals by there boss because they are trying to prove they are not easy on women.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I haven't had good odds, but you could say the same for my previous male supervisors/managers too.  I work in IT infrastructure, and used to have to deal with the supervisor of the programmers, who was a woman.  I did not like working opposite her.  Well, some stuff went down, and she ended up being the interim IT manager, at first I did not like it, but after a while, saw that she took our concerns and ideas and fought for them diligently in front of the business management.  So I ended up wrong about her.   Two other women tried to get to where she was and they failed, thankfully, because one was just an idiot, and the other ruined our supposedly ITIL compliant incident/change processes until several years after she left.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I've worked with and for women.

It's the same as working with/for men; some are good, some are bad.

It IS nice working around good-looking women.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I have worked with women who did the human race credit.

i have worked with women less pleasant than taking a grinding disc to your butthole.

it's usually either/or
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Avoid if possible.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Haven't had a single good instance of a woman who worked above or under me in ~10+ years of work in IT.

It's Drama, hate, gossip, power trips, drama, and bitching galore.

I admit the field is half of that problem though.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Worked WITH two women as EQUALS and got along GREAT!

Having a Female supervisor was a problem; always some sexual thing that I don't understand to this day.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I've worked with a lot of women over the years, all sorts, good and bad.  I've worked FOR two.  The first was a pleasant black lady, she was a joy to work for.  She was replaced by an archetypal Angry Lesbian.  That broad left a trail of human wreckage behind her for 20 years or more at my present job, but management put up with her because she gave them the numbers they wanted.  They finally canned her a few months ago.  That broad was pure evil in a can.  She will not be missed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Some of my female bosses were better than the men, some worse. Who would've thought.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the workplace, women feel they have something to prove.  that is all.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I love the smell of estrogen in the morning, it smells of Victory!!

I've been in the horse breeding business since 1988 (ignore my avatar).
This business is dominated by females, men and women alike
For the last 12 years I've worked for a woman and it's been great, and I have her permission to say so :)
The best part is, I get to sleep with the boss - my wife insists on it...
My life partner is my business partner and it is rare that we are apart for more than an hour or two in the entire day - every day.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I work with one of the most patient, intelligent, and hard working women I've ever met. She's now effectively my boss although I don't report to her.

I also work with some women I despise for all the cliched reasons. I don't think it's 50/50 ratio but there's always going to be some bad experiences in the office. . .  not sure I want to jump on the female card just yet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I've worked for more women than men so far. No complaints.

This is in the USN and private financial services.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#45]
I worked for a sweet, caring lady who told me, after spending three days with my son in ICU, that I needed to decide what my priorities were. I've never had any of the men I worked for be anything other than understanding and encouraging when it came to spending time with my family, sick or otherwise.

I was young and loyal then, so I stayed around until she finally ran me off a year later.

Now, if anyone in a supervisory position told me something that idiotic and illegal, I would punt them in either the cods or the cunt, don't matter 'cause I'm not sexist like that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#46]
What difference does it make?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nope.  I like to see the thread build up a real head of steam first.

Then blammo!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread is going to start getting awesome around page two.

Corn dogs?

He sent PlaneJane a link.

Nope.  I like to see the thread build up a real head of steam first.

Then blammo!

lol.

The best boss I ever had was a woman.  So was the worst.  I agree with XCR: it seems to be one or the other.

In my experience, women who cause issues in the workplace have issues in other areas of their lives.  And men who have issues with women in the workplace have issues with women in other areas of their lives.  Big surprise, huh?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread is going to start getting awesome around page two.

Corn dogs?

He sent PlaneJane a link.

Not a fan, I'm guessing.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#49]
It's pretty horrible.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#50]
People are shitty, they're all just shitty in different ways.

I've worked with men and women for 30+ years, and most everyone is a fucking drama queen, bullshit artist and back stabber, it's just a matter of degrees and overtness.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top