Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2015 4:39:19 PM EDT
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=34485401&nid=148&title=subject-shot-dead-after-foiled-carjacking

A subject was shot and killed in Orem Saturday afternoon following a dispute after a halted car theft, police said.

Outside a Macey’s near 800 N. State St. in Orem, an unidentified subject allegedly attempted to steal a car from a woman, according to Orem Police. A third party, who possessed a gun and a concealed carry permit, stepped in and prevented the attempted theft, police said. This third party has been identified only as a male.

At this point, the initial subject lunged at the male preventing the car theft. The male then fired his weapon, hitting the subject, who then died at the scene, according to police.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Pretty sure there were two good shoots here in Texas recently like that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought everybody knew not to try that shit in Utah by now
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]

That's pretty close to where I work.  Been to that Macey's many, many times.  It also shares a parking lot with the bank where I do most of my banking.  It's actually a pretty nice area and I wouldn't expect to see a mugging or car jacking there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Bad guy won't be trying that shit again now will he.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
The deceased subject had multiple prior felony warrants for his arrest, according to Jackson. The woman involved was not hurt.
View Quote

His rap sheet is gonna miss him

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Aww, too bad. Enjoy your well earned nap, dirtbag.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Good!  I hope the shooter and the woman will be okay emotionally.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's pretty close to where I work.  Been to that Macey's many, many times.  It also shares a parking lot with the bank where I do most of my banking.  It's actually a pretty nice area and I wouldn't expect to see a mugging or car jacking there.  
View Quote

Quite possibly like that carjacking and murder in New Jersey where thugs staked out an upscale mall to carjack upscale vehicles, like high-end Mercedes, BMWs and Range Rovers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quite possibly like that carjacking and murder in New Jersey where thugs staked out an upscale mall to carjack upscale vehicles, like high-end Mercedes, BMWs and Range Rovers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody is there to shoot back in New Jersey though.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Hope the woman and the guy are doing alright emotionally....aside from that ccw in action...again

The more people realize about ccw and do it the more crime is prevented and the more laws go in our favor.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]
That scum got all the justice he deserved!

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Man times are getting hard when even the Mormons are jacking people for their shit.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#17]
secret identity of the perp is secret
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:31:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not so much "upscale" as just "decent".
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link with a few more details:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865627808/One-man-dead-after-attempted-car-jacking-in-Orem.html

"the man who shot the would-be carjacker had a weapon and a concealed weapons permit. He had stopped at the store to purchase food en route to a planned target shooting outing."
-------------------------------------------------------
"The man who came to the aid of the woman was described only as 31 years old. He was parked near the woman in the parking lot and overheard her screams as the would-be carjacker pulled her out of her Mercedes SUV. He ran to her aid.

"According to the citizen’s statement, the suspect starts to walk to the back of the car and lunges at him trying to grab the gun. The citizen shoots one round, shoots the suspect in the chest"
----------------------------------------------------
"Jackson said he did not anticipate that the shooter would face charges but the investigation is ongoing"
---------------------------------------------------

The thug apparently just stolen a pickup from a Latino in the area and was looking to switch vehicles in the Macey's parking lot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:47:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I was just in Orem last week visiting friends and family. Hard to imagine something like this happening there.

Good shoot.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I always love a happy ending.  Especially one that produces oceans of liberal tears; witness the massive ButtHurt in the Tribune comments:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2469263-156/one-dead-in-orem-after-citizen
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Where's the psa commercials with famous people saying stuff like
"If it's not yours, don't touch it"..or
"Keep your hands off of other people, if they want you to touch them they will ask you to"...or
"Don't shoot people because you are mad at them"..?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#24]
People in Utah County are really cleaning up the streets this weekend:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=34497236&nid=148&title=pleasant-grove-home-invasion-fatal-for-male-intruder&s_cid=queue-3

A home invasion turned fatal when a man broke into a Pleasant Grove residence early Sunday morning and was shot by the homeowner.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Link with a few more details:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865627808/One-man-dead-after-attempted-car-jacking-in-Orem.html

"the man who shot the would-be carjacker had a weapon and a concealed weapons permit. He had stopped at the store to purchase food en route to a planned target shooting outing."
-------------------------------------------------------
"The man who came to the aid of the woman was described only as 31 years old. He was parked near the woman in the parking lot and overheard her screams as the would-be carjacker pulled her out of her Mercedes SUV. He ran to her aid.

"According to the citizen’s statement, the suspect starts to walk to the back of the car and lunges at him trying to grab the gun. The citizen shoots one round, shoots the suspect in the chest"
----------------------------------------------------
"Jackson said he did not anticipate that the shooter would face charges but the investigation is ongoing"
---------------------------------------------------

The thug apparently just stolen a pickup from a Latino in the area and was looking to switch vehicles in the Macey's parking lot.
View Quote

How dare you call him that....That's racist
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet the POS carjacker didn't expect to get deaded either.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#28]
that's what I call "social justice".
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was just in Orem last week visiting friends and family. Hard to imagine something like this happening there.

Good shoot.

View Quote

That's why I carry everywhere I legally can. There is no such thing as an area safe from violent crime, no matter how nice it is.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I came to post the two incidents from this weekend as well, but was beaten to it.

Cleaning up the streets is right, not that anyone went looking for trouble in both incidents.  One guy was just on the way to a shooting trip, stopped at the gas station and ended up thwarting a car jacking.

Capt. Ned Jackson of the Orem Police Department said the man who shot the would-be carjacker had a weapon and a concealed weapons permit. He had stopped at the store to purchase food en route to a planned target shooting outing.
View Quote
 Car-jacking story

My wife just came to me and said, "It's not a happy day for criminals in happy valley. Check out KSL News."
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I wonder how this would have been reported in Md or NJ?
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Samoan? Maori?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#35]

How do you know?  There could be dozens of people with that name in Orem.....
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

A good point.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Best line from article:

However, Matafeo’s family responded Monday with a written statement saying that he was unarmed, scared and panicked and was “just trying to find a way home.”
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Best line from article:

However, Matafeo’s family responded Monday with a written statement saying that he was unarmed, scared and panicked and was “just trying to find a way home.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Best line from article:

View Quote

Lol. He made it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wait... What?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best line from article:

Wait... What?  

I believe that would fall under the Dindu clause
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best line from article:

Wait... What?  

Indeed , thumb up
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Some of the comments are completely full of derp and fail.

Lolly
Lehi, UT

I took a concealed weapon course but made a decision not to get my license. I don't remember receiving education on what to do if a person lunged at me. This is a lose - lose situation.

A car can be replaced and I believe this model could have been tracked by satellite. Instead of fighting it, perhaps it would have been better to have said, "since you are taking my car, if you have a couple of minutes, I will show you some of the features." Rather than have the results of what happened in fighting to keep a car, the outcome would have been no deaths and no remorse for years. It is what it is, but also think what the comments would have been had a cop been behind the gun.
9:42 a.m. May 3, 2015
Like (4)
View Quote

This shit makes me so angry. So it is not enough that  "Lolly" would not be inclined to fight for her property or herself; she wants all of us to be prevented from being able to fight for ourselves either. Not only should we just GIVE a poor carjacker our vehicles, we should show them the car's features as well (so they can drive safely!) and send the carjacker off with a smile?!

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

His Sister is on FB and linked to this account. She has several posts and photos of him. It is him 100%.

ETA: SISTER

"Before the world tries to demonize my brother...let me tell you about him.  we call him T, a nickname my husband gave him cause he was too lazy to say his whole name Taulagi haha. This pic is my favorite memory of him. He was playing with a lighter and singed his eyebrow so he shaved it off, then decided to shave the other one off. We were on a camping trip and he didn't want my Dad to get mad so he tried to draw them back on with a marker. LOL. Next morning when he woke up and came out to breakfast, he had smeared his 'eyebrows' across his face. None of us told him, just tried not to fall over laughing and when my Dad came out, with his Samoan accent, he was like " Son! What the hell is wrong with your face?!" We all laughed so hard. I was pregnant at the time, I swear I was gonna pee myself. My brother is so goofy!! He also has the biggest heart in the world!! I'm going to post something great about him every day til all the negative things stop. I will make sure he world remembers him the way I do. I invite my family to participate."
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#45]
A few years ago there were gangsta thuglets taking random shots at women and kids in the parking lot of Macy's at a big mall in a city near me.  They didn't hit anyone (probably not trying), but it's the thought that counts, right?

This was at Christmas time, and this happens to be the last viable shopping mall in said city (the others were overrun with gangs and went bankrupt when good people stopped going there because they didn't feel safe).

I have it on good authority that the Democratic Mayor of said city, and his shills in city government and the liberal rag paper, slammed a lid on this story so it wouldn't sprout legs in the media and scare the suburban women off, because if that happened, this mall would be up shit's creek in no time just like the others were.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This shit makes me so angry. So it is not enough that  "Lolly" would not be inclined to fight for her property or herself; she wants all of us to be prevented from being able to fight for ourselves either. Not only should we just GIVE a poor carjacker our vehicles, we should show them the car's features as well (so they can drive safely!) and send the carjacker off with a smile?!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lolly
Lehi, UT

I took a concealed weapon course but made a decision not to get my license. I don't remember receiving education on what to do if a person lunged at me. This is a lose - lose situation.

A car can be replaced and I believe this model could have been tracked by satellite. Instead of fighting it, perhaps it would have been better to have said, "since you are taking my car, if you have a couple of minutes, I will show you some of the features." Rather than have the results of what happened in fighting to keep a car, the outcome would have been no deaths and no remorse for years. It is what it is, but also think what the comments would have been had a cop been behind the gun.
9:42 a.m. May 3, 2015
Like (4)

Do gooder should try the "let me show you a couple of the features" shit if he gets jacked in Detroit.

I hope he enjoys it when they repay his kindness and consideration by blowing his brains out with a shotgun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Detroit got in the action also. Homeowner shoots and kills home invader.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2015/05/04/police-homeowner-fatally-shoots-home-invasion-suspect/26860035/

Detroit — A home invasion suspect was killed early Monday after exchanging gunfire with a homeowner who was hospitalized himself with gunshot wounds, police said.

The suspect, 45, forced the homeowner's 30-year-old girlfriend into the house at gunpoint around 12:20 a.m. on the 14900 block of Liberal, near Hayes and East State Fair streets, police said.

"The homeowner armed himself with a weapon and exchanged gunfire (with the suspect)," Sgt. Cassandra Lewis said.

The suspect, 45, was fatally wounded and the homeowner was taken to the hospital in temporary serious condition, Lewis said.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2015/05/04/police-homeowner-fatally-shoots-home-invasion-suspect/26860035/

Detroit — A home invasion suspect was killed early Monday after exchanging gunfire with a homeowner who was hospitalized himself with gunshot wounds, police said.

The suspect, 45, forced the homeowner's 30-year-old girlfriend into the house at gunpoint around 12:20 a.m. on the 14900 block of Liberal, near Hayes and East State Fair streets, police said.

"The homeowner armed himself with a weapon and exchanged gunfire (with the suspect)," Sgt. Cassandra Lewis said.

The suspect, 45, was fatally wounded and the homeowner was taken to the hospital in temporary serious condition, Lewis said.
View Quote

Love it!

A lot of the homeowners in the D don't fool around, and who can blame them?

Especially after the local police chief advised everyone to arm themselves and admitted the police cannot protect them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Love it!

Especially after the local police chief advised everyone to arm themselves and admitted the police cannot protect them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love it!

I liked the woman that defended her home and children with a Hi-Point carbine last year.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

His Sister is on FB and linked to this account. She has several posts and photos of him. It is him 100%.

"Before the world tries to demonize my brother...let me tell you about him.  we call him T, a nickname my husband gave him cause he was too lazy to say his whole name Taulagi haha. This pic is my favorite memory of him. He was playing with a lighter and singed his eyebrow so he shaved it off, then decided to shave the other one off. We were on a camping trip and he didn't want my Dad to get mad so he tried to draw them back on with a marker. LOL. Next morning when he woke up and came out to breakfast, he had smeared his 'eyebrows' across his face. None of us told him, just tried not to fall over laughing and when my Dad came out, with his Samoan accent, he was like " Son! What the hell is wrong with your face?!" We all laughed so hard. I was pregnant at the time, I swear I was gonna pee myself. My brother is so goofy!! He also has the biggest heart in the world!! I'm going to post something great about him every day til all the negative things stop. I will make sure he world remembers him the way I do. I invite my family to participate."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's with all the throwing of gang signs in all their pics???
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top