BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/1/2015 9:19:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
There seems to be a problem with the link.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Linky no worky.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
linky not assisted opening
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Christ I fixed it already
View Quote

About fucking time!   You fat flipper the link or something?

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#6]
DUPE
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty interesting, and meshes exactly with a story Steven Rinella told on his podcast  about losing a knife with a thumb stud to an NYC transit cop.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
He was arrested for fleeing police on contact.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
DUPE
View Quote

No such thing as an Aimless dupe. Prior threads are "disappeared."
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Was the knife for sporting purposes?

If not, it's an assult knife
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They still lied and charged him with having a switchblade when he didn't  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bet they did it in good faith.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, it was a bad arrest, and the department could be sued for that. But, it's not a criminal act by the cops, especially if they thought the knife was actually illegal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet those idiots are going to jail
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

LOL is that even a charge?

I don't think it is.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill play devil's advocate....and challenge the penguin (I dont agree with the law). The article states that he was NOT charged with possessing a "switchblade" (thats simplified language) but states:

"But when Baltimore's statute was written 60 years ago, it's language was crafted more vaguely than laws elsewhere. The municipal code currently bans "any knife with an automatic spring or other device (a thumb stud??)  for opening and/or closing the blade." In that way, it differs from switchblade bans in most areas — including New York — which rely on the blade/handle distinction."

The question is what is an "OTHER DEVICE"? Poorly written law is being abused and no one cared to question it for almost 55yrs (including the Prosecutors office). It seems it can be applied how someone wants to apply it. Problem is the courts have upheld it for years and now that the masses need to be appeased they make a distinction. Crap law...but most are...just like the gun laws we all obey daily.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good faith or lack of knowledge of the elements of the charged offense?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#20]

The circumstances suggest that Gray's transportation may have involved a so-called "nickel ride," in which officers deliberately drive at high speeds and suddenly stop and start, a technique used to punish arrested suspects and which has been known to sometimes cause serious injury.
View Quote
Fine Gray gets arrested over his knife.  The BS part is that old black guy doing this shit to the passengers.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, that's why he was stopped.  Fleeing provided reasonable suspicion but it isn't illegal in and of itself.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will get off from the charge. The cop's lawyers need to show how vaguely the law was written (the media report admits to it) as well as the thousands of arressts upheld by the same prosecutors office who is charging them. Its gonna be pretty easy to have that turned into a good-faith arrest just based on the history of the charges going through and being prosecuted for years.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As the story goes, the NYPD does this as SOP

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#24]
MEh! I could honestly careless right now..... I probably should! But to see and hear what i'm seeing and hearing.....

They should riot and set planet earth on fire for whatever the fuck they want & demand...

IDGAF
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I don't think it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think it is.

I think it is.

A cop sees someone and says "come here".  Instead the suspect runs.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Prosecutors Office: "We prosecuted 500+ arrests and got convictions this year from the same type knives and arrests."
"But we are prosecuting you now for what we assisted you with doing"

Thats whats F-d up and why all but the van driver should get off.....if anyone is guilty its him for not belting him in and driving crazy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it is.

I think it is.

It depends. If the cop ordered and had reason to terry stop him before he ran or "Obstructed" then it is an obstruction charge....at least in GA.

From the report it appears he ran when the officer looked at him....the act of running giving the officer the reason/suspicion to chase and terry stop him...not being a charge.

ETA: Now here's the kicker. In the act of running after a suspect to terry stop him the officer ORDERS the person to stop and he doesnt that person is disobeying a lawful order and is then committing the crime of obstruction.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Baltimore liberals need ass cancer yesterday
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#29]
with practice you can open almost any folding knife one handed, no need for spring or thumb assist, although those are easier, just pinch the blade between thumb and forefinger and open it
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

MEh! I could honestly careless right now..... I probably should! But to see and hear what i'm seeing and hearing.....

They should riot and set planet earth on fire for whatever the fuck they want & demand...

IDGAF
View Quote
Will these so specified fires affect global wine production

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Will Al Sharpton now join us in calling for the repeal of knife laws?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yup, it was a bad arrest, and the department could be sued for that. But, it's not a criminal act by the cops, especially if they thought the knife was actually illegal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This comes to mind,"Ignorance of the law excuses no man" and when it involves police who have codebooks in hand..its even harder to say  they aren't responsible for what happened as a direct result of their actions....
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IDGAF

You better stock up now!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#35]
As a convicted felon was he allowed to have any sort of knife concealed on his person?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Oh come on, they knew they were arresting people for having knives you can buy at any Home Depot. It was just a way to fuck people over. If there was a law against having your shoes tied they would have arrested people for that  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill play devil's advocate....and challenge the penguin (I dont agree with the law). The article states that he was NOT charged with possessing a "switchblade" (thats simplified language) but states:

"But when Baltimore's statute was written 60 years ago, it's language was crafted more vaguely than laws elsewhere. The municipal code currently bans "any knife with an automatic spring or other device (a thumb stud??)  for opening and/or closing the blade." In that way, it differs from switchblade bans in most areas — including New York — which rely on the blade/handle distinction."

The question is what is an "OTHER DEVICE"? Poorly written law is being abused and no one cared to question it for almost 55yrs (including the Prosecutors office). It seems it can be applied how someone wants to apply it. Problem is the courts have upheld it for years and now that the masses need to be appeased they make a distinction. Crap law...but most are...just like the gun laws we all obey daily.
Oh come on, they knew they were arresting people for having knives you can buy at any Home Depot. It was just a way to fuck people over. If there was a law against having your shoes tied they would have arrested people for that  

Of course. It's a mopery charge. Known shitbag doing shitbag stuff in shitbag area so they hooked him up for a BS knife charge based on a poorly written law. The question is whether they were the first ones to come up with this interpretation of the law. I'm guessing not.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#37]
On a related note, Megyn Kelly interviewed a Baltimore police officer (voice and identity disguised) claiming Freddy was also a police informant. He/she said he'd always put on a good show when arrested but provided a lot of information once he was in the station.

Either true, or an effort to destroy his credibility in the community.

Now Jerry Rivera is getting all dramatic about Baltimore PD starting to enforce the curfew. A lot of people just got slammed to the ground.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As a convicted felon was he allowed to have any sort of knife concealed on his person?
View Quote

Doesn't seem to be illegal at first blush

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Clipped to his belt, not sure if concealed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah the village voice but they are right about nypd's bullshit knife arrests. Sounds like Baltimore pd was up to the same dirty tricks.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2015/04/freddie_grays_death_in_police.php

View Quote

They had a Baltimore cop on Hannity today claiming they saw him doing a drug deal and that is why he was arrested. He also said he injured himself in the van but if they would have seat belted him in like they were supposed to it would not have happened if that was the truth. I thought the guy was a fucking liar.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And to "fix" the problem, the law will remain unchanged but enforcement will be determined by race, voter registration, and financial status
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I assume the guy was a felon since he apparently had 18 arrests on his record... can a felon possess a concealed weapon?

serious question..
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats right!  Ignorance of the law is no excuse unless you are a cop.  Then you can kidnap people and imprison them without consequence.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thats right!  Ignorance of the law is no excuse unless you are a cop.  Then you can kidnap people and imprison them without consequence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they have PC to believe the knife is illegal under city code they can arrest. Again, do Bmore cops commonly arrest mopes with similar knives under the code or did they just make this up on the spot?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#46]
"But... we don't mind if police arrest him for trumped up 'weapons' charges!"
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:44:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:00:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Did Gray have an active warrant or not? I keep hearing conflicting information.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:00:22 AM EDT
[#49]
You could get arrested.  Then, fight it and win in court.  Or your could resist arrest and possibly end up injured or dead.

What would you do?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking nuts how the only people who get to use ignorance as a defense are the people who are literally paid to know and enforce the law.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top