Site Notices
Page / 235
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cool. Thanks.  60% is way better than I would have guessed. lol
View Quote

60% is still pretty bad.  Guy could flip a coin and not do much worse.

Phil Steele had around 71% on that site, but it only uses the predictions he releases publicly and not the "ESPN insider" predictions he makes, so that might be a factor in his higher number.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Then no one will be surprised. Everyone is picking Utah, but I think michigan has way more talent than people want to give credit for. It wasn't like michigan missed on every single 4 star player they ever recruited under Rich Rod and Hoke. They just didn't have proper coaching and were definitely not being challenged under Hoke.

Harbaugh, by all accounts is competitive to a fault.  He's going to have his players hungry.

View Quote
Yeah, I feel the same way about my Huskers.  But I think both teams may need to wait until the new coaches can bring in some decent QBs.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Phil Steele had around 71% on that site, but it only uses the predictions he releases publicly and not the "ESPN insider" predictions he makes, so that might be a factor in his higher number.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'd say that there are so many unknowables about games (injuries, arrests, etc.) that doing much better than a coin flip is a helluva job.  

Perhaps the REAL tell tale data would be to filter out the one sided games (although there are the rare cupcake upsets).
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, I feel the same way about my Huskers.  But I think both teams may need to wait until the new coaches can bring in some decent QBs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then no one will be surprised. Everyone is picking Utah, but I think michigan has way more talent than people want to give credit for. It wasn't like michigan missed on every single 4 star player they ever recruited under Rich Rod and Hoke. They just didn't have proper coaching and were definitely not being challenged under Hoke.

Harbaugh, by all accounts is competitive to a fault.  He's going to have his players hungry.

Don't you guys have Armstrong? I thought he was pretty solid. My stepdad is a Nebraska grad/super fan and I thought I remember him saying he was pretty comfortable with the QB, not so much with the receiver injuries you had, especially the freshman AA.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Phyllis from Mulga on Finebaum

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We should all pick the same games they pick and see how we do compared to them this year.
View Quote

If there was a way to do this as a group, I would be in on it.  I don't like the current pick'um because it takes me way too long to assign the confidence points.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#8]
She's always good for a laugh............like Tammy from Clanton

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If there was a way to do this as a group, I would be in on it.  I don't like the current pick'um because it takes me way too long to assign the confidence points.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We should all pick the same games they pick and see how we do compared to them this year.

The main problem with this I see is you won't know what games they're picking until they do it on TV, right?  So we'd have to get a system where people get their picks in before kickoff but after the talking heads do it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It definitely would be very interesting to see how well each analyst's predictions stacked up against the results.  I've been particularly thinking about how the Fantasy Football talking heads stacked up.  I want to say that the analysts would be doing their own research since their jobs are on the line, but sometimes I just get the gut feeling that they're being fed the info.

Welcome to Team.  You've always been a quality poster, so I've had a feeling it would happen sooner or later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very true.
When you start listening to and reading all the info that is available these days on team stats, projections, strengths, weaknesses etc, it gets overwhelming very quickly.
Around week 3-4 in the season is when it starts getting easier to see who is for real.
Then a lot of times conference play starts around that time and screws up what you thought you knew from weeks 1-4.

It definitely would be very interesting to see how well each analyst's predictions stacked up against the results.  I've been particularly thinking about how the Fantasy Football talking heads stacked up.  I want to say that the analysts would be doing their own research since their jobs are on the line, but sometimes I just get the gut feeling that they're being fed the info.

Welcome to Team.  You've always been a quality poster, so I've had a feeling it would happen sooner or later.

Thank you.
I lurked here for a few years and then 1 day I saw a guy who was making a serious structural mistake on removing a porch post on his home and signed up to warn him that he needed to replace the post.
I figured I would end up getting banned before I made it a year so I didnt get a membership.
Then a year came and procrastination set in.
Then someone posted a thread in GD about how many shootings and killings there would be in Chicago in August with the winner getting a bronze membership. I being kind of a smartass made a guess based on a couple of pistol calibers 357/44 and ended up only missing by 2 and winning.
I asked the member to donate the membership to a LEO member here who he thought deserved it but he was uncomfortable with making that decision alone. I didn't really have an idea who and couldnt figure out a way to donate it so I went ahead and took the membership to quit being a PITA to him. So in reality I'm a team member this time around out of someone else's generosity and getting lucky in a contest.
I have already come to like the benefits like subscribing and being able to go to the last read post so I imagine I will reup from now on.......unless I lose it one day and get myself a permanent timeout.
It's a good site also and I need to support it. Heck I get way more than $2 month entertainment here.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You can find sites that track the Gameday Crew's predictions through the years.

Here's one

Just to save you the time of clicking through yourself:

Herbstreit: 61.13%   673-428
Corso:  65.51%   794-418
Lou Hotlz(ph): 63.83%   240-136
Mark May: 60.45%   214-140
Desmond Howard: 65.45%   447-236

Doesn't surprise me that Corso and Desmond Howard are the best and May is the worst, because May has always come across as the biggest butthurt homer around and I've never had much problem with Howard or Corso's commentary.   I actually thought Herbsteit would be higher too.

I might try to take a look at their picks for specific conference match ups later just to see how biased they are, but I have some work to do this afternoon first.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It definitely would be very interesting to see how well each analyst's predictions stacked up against the results.

Here's one

Doesn't surprise me that Corso and Desmond Howard are the best and May is the worst, because May has always come across as the biggest butthurt homer around and I've never had much problem with Howard or Corso's commentary.   I actually thought Herbsteit would be higher too.

I might try to take a look at their picks for specific conference match ups later just to see how biased they are, but I have some work to do this afternoon first.  

So the owner of that site is Cole?
He must be a t-sip as he picked Texas to win the Big12 and make the playoffs.
That's............let's just call it different

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The main problem with this I see is you won't know what games they're picking until they do it on TV, right?  So we'd have to get a system where people get their picks in before kickoff but after the talking heads do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.  Now if there was a website that let you select what games were going to be picked each week, say by every Wednesday, that would work well enough.  Surely we as a group could decide on the major conference/national champ influencing games....
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

That woman is certified nuts.
Boy can she rant if you say something negative about Bama.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:So in reality I'm a team member this time around out of someone else's generosity and getting lucky in a contest.
I have already come to like the benefits like subscribing and being able to go to the last read post so I imagine I will reup from now on.......unless I lose it one day and get myself a permanent timeout.
It's a good site also and I need to support it. Heck I get way more than $2 month entertainment here.

View Quote

You became a member just in time to get in on the annual team giveaway
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_75/1775859___2015_Team_Member_Giveaway__.html
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, I would like to think I would do better than 60% when just picking heads up vs with the spread.

That underscores how worthless polls are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I would like to think I would do better than 60% when just picking heads up vs with the spread.

That underscores how worthless polls are.

I know I'd be swinging in the dark with my predictions, but I'd like to see how some of the more *cough* outspoken *cough* of y'all do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

True.  Now if there was a website that let you select what games were going to be picked each week, say by every Wednesday, that would work well enough.  Surely we as a group could decide on the major conference/national champ influencing games....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fox Sports College Pickem allows for custom picksets.
The league owner can pick any games he wants each week out of all the games being played.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:So in reality I'm a team member this time around out of someone else's generosity and getting lucky in a contest.

I saw the Larue 1 yesterday where people are posting numbers.
Don't quite understand how that works but I imagine Larue must have a predetermined number picked and whoever guesses it wins?

How does this one work?
Automatically entered?

Some nice benefits for members here.
Generous of the companies sponsoring the giveaways.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I like her too. Greg McElroy is on right now. His analysis is pretty solid.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Greg is a smart guy and was a good QB.............I am glad they added him to the crew

Quoted:

Yeah I like her too. Greg McElroy is on right now. His analysis is pretty solid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah we should be able to pick the top 4 or 5 games per week even if they are a little different from the games they pick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah we should be able to pick the top 4 or 5 games per week even if they are a little different from the games they pick.

Could be fun, but would defeat the purpose of comparing us to the talking heads like you initially suggested...which really sounds interesting to me.  

I'm looking to see if there's any specific criteria for games they choose to pick, but I think outside of picking the game they're hosting gameday from there really isn't any specific requirements.  

If nothing else we could always make sure that the gameday location was one of the games we picked, and at least compare one game a week to those guys.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Funny line I heard on local sports talk radio today...

"Well he (Nick Saban) was talking to Paul Finebaum, that doesn't bring out the best in a person."

So perhaps Phylis and Tammy aren't crazy. It's Ole Paul that is nutso.

Monk
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He has lost his mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It definitely would be very interesting to see how well each analyst's predictions stacked up against the results.

Here's one

So the owner of that site is Cole?
He must be a t-sip as he picked Texas to win the Big12 and make the playoffs.
That's............let's just call it different

He has lost his mind.

Yeah, I thought Desmond Howard was being bold to pick the Ags to win the SEC but thats a whole other level.
I can't imagine owning a site that appears that nice and giving the impression you know something about college football to make that bold of a prediction. Or has he just drank way too much orange koolaid?
They are still too young. They need another couple years.
Texas won't stay down for long but not this year.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott, actually able to bench press again after his wrist surgery, joked that he was 8 pounds heavy at the start of training camp thanks to his added muscle. "I'm definitely stronger," Elliott said. "But I'm in tip-top shape right now, the best shape I've ever been in.
View Quote

That is a scary thought for OSU's opponents.

Monk
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I know I'd be swinging in the dark with my predictions, but I'd like to see how some of the more *cough* outspoken *cough* of y'all do.
View Quote

I'd put myself at around 50% overall.

However, when it comes to my NOLES I've missed one game in that last three years. Obviously against the Ducks (didn't plan on turning the ball over that much).

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Then no one will be surprised. Everyone is picking Utah, but I think michigan has way more talent than people want to give credit for. It wasn't like michigan missed  every single 4 star player they ever recruited under Rich Rod and Hoke. They just didn't have proper coaching and were definitely not being challenged under Hoke.

View Quote

Guarded optimism is what I'm holding onto for Michigan this year. We've all seen what a difference a coach can make as we saw with Meyer in his first year in Columbus. I have a good feeling Harbaugh will produce the same. I think the Utah game is going to give a good indication for how the year goes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Percentages over the course of the season was what I was going for, but yeah a direct heads up against them would be fun.

Maybe there is someone out there that has the games they pick a day early? You know they know for at least a week or maybe they don;t and that is why they suck. lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be fun, but would defeat the purpose of comparing us to the talking heads like you initially suggested...which really sounds interesting to me.  

I'm looking to see if there's any specific criteria for games they choose to pick, but I think outside of picking the game they're hosting gameday from there really isn't any specific requirements.  

If nothing else we could always make sure that the gameday location was one of the games we picked, and at least compare one game a week to those guys.

Percentages over the course of the season was what I was going for, but yeah a direct heads up against them would be fun.

Maybe there is someone out there that has the games they pick a day early? You know they know for at least a week or maybe they don;t and that is why they suck. lol

Fox Sports has a group of fantasy experts you can pick against.
No point spreads, no confidence points. Just straight up pick the winners each week vs their experts.
You can also win prizes.

Group is Fox Fantasy Experts
ID is 5204

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Don't you guys have Armstrong? I thought he was pretty solid. My stepdad is a Nebraska grad/super fan and I thought I remember him saying he was pretty comfortable with the QB, not so much with the receiver injuries you had, especially the freshman AA.  

View Quote
He's a good athlete, but he hasn't shown consistency in the passing game, which worries me for a pro-style offense.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Ugh a few more day until heartburn and indigestion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Is the Big 12 going to have "One True Champion" this year?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#37]

We're coming to get it.
Are you ready?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That is for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott, actually able to bench press again after his wrist surgery, joked that he was 8 pounds heavy at the start of training camp thanks to his added muscle. "I'm definitely stronger," Elliott said. "But I'm in tip-top shape right now, the best shape I've ever been in.

That is a scary thought for OSU's opponents.

Monk

That is for sure.

With the qb debate it was overlooked that Elliott was playing with a broken left wrist (broken in camp before 2014/season), could lift weights with it, couldn't stiff arm and couldnt switch hands when carrying the ball.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Not sure why I just remembered this now.....but Golson was a turnover machine at ND.   Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I really hope he's fixed that issue. Man, my heart can't take more turnovers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not sure why I just remembered this now.....but Golson was a turnover machine at ND.   Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

View Quote

When Texas State knocks you guys off this weekend as 30 point underdogs we will have our answer.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

When Texas State knocks you guys off this weekend as 30 point underdogs we will have our answer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm torn.  I love upsets like that, but I'd hate to see Fran get a good win.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, about that.........

Pretty sure Maguire is playing QB by 3rd quarter.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm going to make my pick early for the WI/Bama game.

WI - 13

AL - 27

Keys to the game.

AL - Stronger OL, Stronger DL, Bama will play on a short field all game long due to having an awesome punter.

WI - OL riddled with injuries and has not played a single snap together as a unit, New Head Coach, poor special teams, No WR threat makes offense one dimensional.

Go Badgers!!  On Wisconsin!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm very interested in seeing how good Bamas front 7 really are.
I've heard 2 different commentators on ESPN saying they may be the best front 7 ever assembled in college.
Another referred to them as NFL level.
That's some bold ass statements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
7pm Central on ABC. Badgers-Tide.
I can't wait!  On Wisconsin!!  

I need to put together a menu for Saturday afternoon/evening.
I'll definitely have to smoke something in my smoker.  Decisions...decisions...hmmm?....

I heard McEvoy tweaked something, but was cleared to play on Saturday.
I guess they have him at WR, but we might see him playing on both sides of the ball.

Should be a slug fest in the trenches.

I'm very interested in seeing how good Bamas front 7 really are.
I've heard 2 different commentators on ESPN saying they may be the best front 7 ever assembled in college.
Another referred to them as NFL level.
That's some bold ass statements.

I'm predicting a low scoring game. I could see it being 6-3 or 9-6 at halftime with only field goals on the board.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Ok, Thursday picks...
(Of the games I'll watch...or be flipping back and forth to)

UCF over FIU
Vandy over western Kentucky
Big Blue over Utah

No game watching on Friday.....I'll be driving to Tally!

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Was there any doubt Bama would be dead last?
View Quote

They probably didn't even count Phyllis from Mulga's posts in that...

ETA:  Well damnit, I se that I was WAY late on this one.    Nevermind...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/1-21-2015/rPgksC.gif
View Quote

It's now.... wait for it....

"In the Big 12, we determine our champion on the field."

And....

"Every Game Matters"

Read more here

Monk

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And....

"Every Game Matters"

Read more here

Monk

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/1-21-2015/rPgksC.gif

And....

"Every Game Matters"

Read more here

Monk

Unless of course, that results in one team beating another, than on the field is over rated and maybe we'll just have co-champs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ok, Thursday picks...
(Of the games I'll watch...or be flipping back and forth to)

UCF over FIU
Vandy over western Kentucky
Big Blue over Utah

No game watching on Friday.....I'll be driving to Tally!

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

View Quote

WKU has a VERY good chance of knocking off that SEC team
No way Vandy is stopping that offense

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you watched ND v LSU you can see why they went with Malik Zaire. He rotated some with Golson and looked much better IMO.
Page / 235
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top