Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/30/2015 1:11:52 PM EDT
first off, i am a glock guy...love em and shoot em. a good friend who is into glocks and 1911's suggested i get at least one good 1911
i agree that everyone who is into guns should have at least one good 1911.
i am in a shit situation as far as choices because of the california roster...so here is my dilemma:
i was offered a brand new dan wesson cbob at a LGS for just over $1600 otd (ppts go for around $1400 but who wants to wait and they are usually used)
or, do i wait for the right moment and spend $2500-3000 or so for a wilson, nighthawk, ed brown, les baer by ppt...not worth buying retail as tax kills the deal.
i not in a hurry, but are those guns worth $1000-1500 more than a dan wesson?
i like the bobtail (aesthetically), but i cannot ccw it so does it even matter? is the bobtail good, bad or neither??..
these higher end 1911's are not guns that you can just go in and rent to decide which is best so i am going strictly on recommendation...
i have the cbob on hold so i have a couple weeks to decide (apparently, $1630 is a great deal for retail).
thanks for any advice

***update....purchased a les baer srp...seems like a really nice gun. going to do a different finish, but before that, there are a couple things i'd like to do..
1) flush cut/reverse crown on the barrel
2) flush the slide stop and bevel
it has an integrated magwell done by les baer
any other suggestions before it gets refinished?

i called les baer and they dont do that kind of thing, so i guess it goes elsewhere
cant put up pics...its still dros'ing...one week to go ***

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a ruger. Very accurate, good trigger....great price.

Ignore the mim parts bashers....you ain't carrying it and you won't shoot it apart.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Start out with a Springfield.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Me personally would feel bad beating up a 3k 1911 so I would go for a good shooter. Can you guys get springfields? One of those would be my choice. A trp or even something cheaper like a range officer or loaded.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
No way I'd pay 1600 for a CBOB.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#8]
My Smith & Wesson was flawless. Until the incident

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/FrozInAK/20121019_224910_zpsa308b4ee.jpg
View Quote

WTF
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Springfield TRP with Wilson Combat mags, love mine, always goes bang. I shoot golf balls at 10-15 yards with it and rarely miss - great accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

WTF ????????????
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]
lol buckyballs
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Jesus H. Chrxxt!!!

What the hell is with the 1911 mystique????

1911's SUCK CHICKEN SHIT THROUGH DIRTY SOCKS.

Very much like the "Hands up, Don't shoot" bullshit that many people still believe.

Just yesterday I was at my local range and there was a guy with a 1911 and his" branch of service" T-shirt goat-fucking a 1911.
It failed to extract, and the guy stares at it for about 5 seconds and says "it's never done that before, I guess I should have used more oil".     (Sure, buddy, sure it hasn't.)
Finger-fucks it for about 30 more seconds trying to wipe it's ass clear it.  
Shoots another round, then CLICK!!    

Guy turns gun parallel to his abdomen and points muzzle right at his wife's head while he finger-fucks and wipes his 1911's ass a second time.

1911 has all the appeal of a ceremonial dress dagger. Useless man-accessory.

I've owned enough 1911's to fill a 5-gallon bucket and I'd honest-to-God choose a Davis .380 to bet my life on over a 1911 penis-extender.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Colt Rail Gun is nice for the money.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless you are going to carry it, the bobtail just looks nifty.
Any of those you posted are very nice guns. But they are for 1911 aficionados who are willing to spend crazy money for a 1911 that's exactly how they want it. Not criticizing those folks, mind you, but a non-1911 guy ought not be spending that kind of coin on a 1911 any more than I ought to be spending that much on a Glock (none of which I own because I don't care for them).  
I dunno if Springfield Armory is on Kali's roster, but the Range Officer is all you need in a 1911, and comes in way less even than the Dan Wesson, which leaves you enough $$ left over for a bunch of good magazines.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#17]
SA Pro FTW!
Seriously, in that shit ass state, save up and get something nice.  I have owned pretty much all major 1911 brands, and now my SA and my Ed Browns are all that remain in my safe.  There's something magical about a nice tight high end 1911 and after you get over blowing your wad on the pricetag, you will blow your wad for many years to come whenever you pick it up, so dont go cheap.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Won't recommend a brand, there are lots of good ones out there. Personally, I don't like bobtails, so I'd stay with the standard.

One thing, though. Try out both the flat and arched mainspring housings to see if you have a preference. My EDC is flat, and I don't like it much, I prefer the arched, it points just a little better for me.

The flat was the original design, the A1 was arched. The Colt Gold Cup, as far as I know, was always and only available in the flat style. Now everybody makes them that way. May not be a big deal, but if one points better for you, it might be.

I'd hate to have you reject the 1911 because you only tried the one that doesn't fit your hand well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Quality is very good, price is very reasonable (at least they are here in free America). Not sure the $2,000+ guns are worth the premium for an range toy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
SA Pro FTW!
Seriously, in that shit ass state, save up and get something nice.  I have owned pretty much all major 1911 brands, and now my SA and my Ed Browns are all that remain in my safe.  There's something magical about a nice tight high end 1911 and after you get over blowing your wad on the pricetag, you will blow your wad for many years to come whenever you pick it up, so dont go cheap.  

<a href="http://s68.photobucket.com/user/desertcop204/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfjyo04o4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/desertcop204/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfjyo04o4.jpg</a>
View Quote

As a fellow PRO owner and carrier, a TRP will get you a nice piece. My TRP has served me very well

A Pro isn't a first 1911 purchase IMHO.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Buy a ruger. Very accurate, good trigger....great price.
Ignore the mim parts bashers....you ain't carrying it and you won't shoot it apart.
View Quote

This. If Ruger is approved for Cali, I think you should get one. They're fairly affordable they go for $650 for the full size one in AK (our goods tend to be a bit more expensive than lower 48s).
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#22]
if im buying, i am only buying one so i dont mind spending $2000-3000 if that justifies the difference.
from what i have gathered, the dan wesson for an extra $400 over the springfields is a much better quality gun...but that is what ive heard...not experienced.
it will not be carried a) no ccw's here b) if i shot someone it gets confiscated, so i would rather carry a reliable cheapie beater (ie. glock) anyways
this is strictly to finger fondle and range plink once in a great while.
i figure also that the higher end 1911's keep their value as there are less of them floating around
for plinking and practice, i mostly use a glock 17
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#23]
yeah perhaps you're right...although there is the "buy once cry once" philosophy too...
BTW, not to derail the thread but I'm having issues embedding my pic and can only seem to get the link in my post.  WTF am I doing wrong?

Quoted:

As a fellow PRO owner and carrier, a TRP will get you a nice piece. My TRP has served me very well

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04-11%2013.03.55_zpsye6pgyyy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04-11%2013.03.55_zpsye6pgyyy.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SA Pro FTW!

<a href="http://s68.photobucket.com/user/desertcop204/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfjyo04o4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/desertcop204/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfjyo04o4.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04-11%2013.03.55_zpsye6pgyyy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04-11%2013.03.55_zpsye6pgyyy.jpg</a>

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Jesus H. Chrxxt!!!

Very much like the "Hands up, Don't shoot" bullshit that many people still believe.

Just yesterday I was at my local range and there was a guy with a 1911 and his" branch of service" T-shirt goat-fucking a 1911.
It failed to extract, and the guy stares at it for about 5 seconds and says "it's never done that before, I guess I should have used more oil".     (Sure, buddy, sure it hasn't.)

Guy turns gun parallel to his abdomen and points muzzle right at his wife's head while he finger-fucks and wipes his 1911's ass a second time.

I've owned enough 1911's to fill a 5-gallon bucket and I'd honest-to-God choose a Davis .380 to bet my life on over a 1911 penis-extender.
View Quote

So what I hear you saying is that your would recommend a Kimber.
Amirite?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bullshit, blah blah blah I'm a failure.
View Quote

The only thing more full of bullshit than your post is my Hereford.

Show us on the doll where the bad 1911 touched you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I started out with a plain jane GI model. It is okay but the slide raddles the slide release is a bitch. If I were you I'd get a higher end Springfield 1911 if they are on your states roster.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Rock Island Armory 1911.

Well made, not expensive (NOT cheap).  I wanted to get a Ruger 1911 when they first announced them, but after a 2 year wait, went with a RIA, very glad I did - especially when Ruger's first 1911s had teething problems).  Bought one Rock, eats ball and HP factory/reload without issue, very accurate as well.  The grips that came with it were crap though, replaced them, have about 4 sets of grips now LOL.

You can learn how a 1911 operates and you won't be too upset when you scratch it up or mar the finish by accident.  Then maybe look at a Sig Sauer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#28]
If you aren't certain what you want, go cheap.  Get yourself a brand new Rock Island from Buds with a warranty for $400.  

Play around with it, shoot it, beat it up, and you're only out $100 or so.  if you decide you don't want it, you can sell it for $250 then buy something else.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Jesus H. Chrxxt!!!

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you aren't certain what you want, go cheap.  Get yourself a brand new Rock Island from Buds with a warranty for $400.  
Play around with it, shoot it, beat it up, and you're only out $100 or so.  if you decide you don't want it, you can sell it for $250 then buy something else.  
View Quote

i hear what youre saying, but even if i don't like 1911's i still want one just to have in the safe, so i would rather put the $500 towards "the one"
another option which i am willing to entertain is a nice relatively clean wwII colt but as i understand that requires a whole lotta research, knowing stamps, markings, and a daily hunt for a decent specimen...even for $2000-3000
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who vajazzled your 1911? You don't vajazzle the sidearm of the Lord thy God!

OP buds gun shop has sig 1911 on sale occasionally for like $800... I've got 5 others but I grabbed one for shits and giggles and I like it! !!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Jesus H. Chrxxt!!!

View Quote

Le Derp is beyond strong with thee. You have Herp'd Derp'd into derpington.

Edit: OP, SA loaded model or TRP is what you seek if you are uncertain the 1911 is for you. Beyond Excellent Customer service and neither will break the bank. Buds has Loadeds for $700 and Trp's for $1300

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Jesus H. Chrxxt!!!

View Quote

Its not just your 1911s that have issues...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#34]
What other 1911s are on the approved list?

I think the Cbob is the only Dan Wesson to make the list, correct?

USGI pistols in the $1500+ range are collectible for a reason.  Buying one to shoot is silly IMO.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Amirite?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus H. Chrxxt!!!

Amirite?

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope!!!!!

I know a guy who has a Kimber 1911 as his duty weapon.   THAT. FUCKING. THING. CHOKES. EVERY. TIME. HE. QUALIFIES., OR. TRAINS. WITH. IT.
$1,400 boat anchor.

1911's are awesome in video games, not in reality.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Its not just your 1911s that have issues...
View Quote

I have to admit, you made me laugh.

FWIW, I have an equal amount of disdain for S&W revolvers, but I got what you meant.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Springfield TRP with Wilson Combat mags, love mine, always goes bang. I shoot golf balls at 10-15 yards with it and rarely miss - great accuracy.

View Quote
+1000. Best out-of-the-box, for-the-dough, production 1911 available. I trust my life to mine every day.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Jesus H. Chrxxt!!!

View Quote
Heretic!! Burn the witch!!

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Jesus H. Chrxxt!!!

They work and work well when people are smart enough to do things like tie their shoes.

Maybe if you're not a capable person.

Most ridiculous things I've read on here today.

That sounds pretty fabricated.

Right...

So I take it you're not handy with them, so all you can do is trash talk?

Why, because even with the 1911 penis extender you only went from officer to commander length?

View Quote

I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess that you're a 40-50 year old NRA instructor.   I note that in your story of your experience, nothing you said indicated that you did anything to help the guy, or stop his safety violations. I've spent plenty of time as an RSO and private instructor, and even on days off or now that I'm no longer doing it just to be a benefit to the community if I see someone struggling or being unsafe I act as needed helping get firearms squared away, or stopping them from doing stupid shit.

I've also ran across a ton of guys like you.

What's with the 1911 mystique? When you are good with them, smart enough understand and operate them, and experienced enough to not let trying to sound cool get in the way of sounding intelligent, they are fucking awesome. Even a $400 cheap ass RIA 1911 can make other guns look like punk bitches. But I'm sure you have some fancy GLOCK or revolver that will shoot circles around any 1911 ever made ever, right?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Not a Kimber.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

USGI pistols in the $1500+ range are collectible for a reason.  Buying one to shoot is silly IMO.
View Quote

wouldnt shoot a wwII colt..again, im a glock guy...not real desire to shoot a 1911, but i appreciate them and would like one nice one in the safe
alot of 1911's are on the list including wilson, nighthawk, les baer, springfield, sig, etc etc
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns.asp
**eta....i dont doubt a good 1911's accuracy and reliability, but if im gonna want that out the box, i can get that for $500....im trying to get something that is pretty nice and if spending an extra $1000 or 1500 is WORTH IT, then i will go that route. are the wilsons, les baers, ed browns, nighthawks, etc of the world worth the extra $1000-1500??**
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

It looks like it has a boner.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Get a Springfield. They make some damned good ones for way less than that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess that you're a 40-50 year old NRA instructor.   I note that in your story of your experience, nothing you said indicated that you did anything to help the guy, or stop his safety violations. I've spent plenty of time as an RSO and private instructor, and even on days off or now that I'm no longer doing it just to be a benefit to the community if I see someone struggling or being unsafe I act as needed helping get firearms squared away, or stopping them from doing stupid shit.

What's with the 1911 mystique? When you are good with them, smart enough understand and operate them, and experienced enough to not let trying to sound cool get in the way of sounding intelligent, they are fucking awesome. Even a $400 cheap ass RIA 1911 can make other guns look like punk bitches. But I'm sure you have some fancy GLOCK or revolver that will shoot circles around any 1911 ever made ever, right?

http://youtu.be/kWxj71-ahsY http://youtu.be/jD6fIsi6w3g

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus H. Chrxxt!!!

They work and work well when people are smart enough to do things like tie their shoes.

Maybe if you're not a capable person.

Most ridiculous things I've read on here today.

That sounds pretty fabricated.

Right...

So I take it you're not handy with them, so all you can do is trash talk?

Why, because even with the 1911 penis extender you only went from officer to commander length?

http://youtu.be/kWxj71-ahsY http://youtu.be/jD6fIsi6w3g

Took time away from trumpeting your GWOT experience and talking trash about every veteran who served before you, I see.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I know a guy who has a Kimber 1911 as his duty weapon.   THAT. FUCKING. THING. CHOKES. EVERY. TIME. HE. QUALIFIES., OR. TRAINS. WITH. IT.
$1,400 boat anchor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus H. Chrxxt!!!

Amirite?

$1,400 boat anchor.

Well, it's a Kimber. Not a Colt, Wilson, Springfield, etc.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Took time away from trumpeting your GWOT experience and talking trash about every veteran who served before you, I see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So I'm guessing I hit the nail on the head.
In your haste to tell a story about how shitty 1911's are in your opinion you showcased your lack of knowledge.  

Did you do ANYTHING to help the people in your story?  Or just let them hang because "Fuck em and their 1911"?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#47]
I would get an RRA if I was you.  

It is on my short list.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Jesus H. Chrxxt!!!

View Quote

A guy did that to me with a brand new G26. Guess I should fill up a bucket with my glocks and toss them too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bullshit, blah blah blah I'm a failure.

Okay, funniest post here in many years.

OP, if this is a hobby gun, buy in at the level you can afford for a fun hobby.

Just know that once you get good with a 1911, you'll find it's easier to be good with a 1911 than to be good with a Glock.

I lucked out:  Ron Phillips built me a pistol that's better than a Wilson Supergrade but, shall we say, didn't price out quite that high.  

If this is a hobby and you can afford it, go for it!!!! some people collect Maseratis for a hobby; others collect model trains, or vintage video games.

If you want to shoot to get good, you will LOVE a good 1911.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

wouldnt shoot a wwII colt..again, im a glock guy...not real desire to shoot a 1911, but i appreciate them and would like one nice one in the safe
alot of 1911's are on the list including wilson, nighthawk, les baer, springfield, sig, etc etc
**eta....i dont doubt a good 1911's accuracy and reliability, but if im gonna want that out the box, i can get that for $500....im trying to get something that is pretty nice and if spending an extra $1000 or 1500 is WORTH IT, then i will go that route. are the wilsons, les baers, ed browns, nighthawks, etc of the world worth the extra $1000-1500??**
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wilson?  Yes, worth it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top