View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
To Indy Area

To North Alabama Area

Indiana to Alabama means taking I-65 South through Kentucky and Tennessee.  Be sure to check out some bourbon distilleries, and to stop in Nashville.

Good idea!!

Mammoth Cave is off 65 too. And the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green.

Knob Creek Range isn't too far off that path either.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for dinner, it was great meeting you! But I have to say you are shorter than I pictured.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks for dinner, it was great meeting you! But I have to say you are shorter than I pictured.
View Quote

Not sure if serious
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
If you make a more northerly route across the plains, you could hit Badlands, Rushmore, and Wisconsin. If you hit Wisconsin, I suggest a day hiking Devil's Lake State Park. If you do that, email me, and I'll join you.  
(if I don't end up with a new job that takes me out of state - I just got a phone interview with a potential employer in Boston)

Shawnee/Garden of the Gods is well worth seeing (possibly the only part of Illinois that is).
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious

Serious.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
To Indy Area

To North Alabama Area

Indiana to Alabama means taking I-65 South through Kentucky and Tennessee.  Be sure to check out some bourbon distilleries, and to stop in Nashville.

Good idea!!

All correct but let me break it down for the OP.

If you head south from INDY and into Louisville, there are a million great places to eat but the main attraction is the Evan Williams Experience, Baseball Bat factory, and the Frazier History Museum. Those would be my three must-sees in Louisville. You can skip all the crime and ghetto and head to a few of the nearby distilleries and Knob Creek, all of which are within an hour, of course it could be longer for you because I have no idea how long it takes pulling a camper.

Now the nearby distilleries would be Jim Beam, Heaven Hill, and Makers Mark. I would skip the first two because frankly they suck. Makers Mark is located in a quiet town call Loretto and there isn't much there so plan accordingly. The tour is actually pretty good if your into that, if not go to the gift shop and snag some bourbon. From Makers, head north to Knob Creek. The machine gun shoot is over but they always have people there and the gun shop on site is always open. If it were me, I would skip knob creek because you can't really get the experience like you can in April and October during the machine gun shoots.

I would continue south through Kentucky and skip WV altogether unless you are dead set on seeing the handful of arfcommers here.

Like I said, head south and stop in Bowling Green to visit the Corvette Museum if your into that. Vettes are cool but far too many on the road are garage queens. From BG, continue south to Nashville. I can't really suggest much in Nashville because I haven't been there in many years but my niece goes to Vanderbilt and I can ask her if you want.

Thats about it for the suggestions and that will get you through a few days of sites and sounds and out of a few states.

Safe travels!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Im stopped at Blakley State park for the night.
Having never seen it, New Mexico is amazing!!
Ill have pics tomorrow, or when I get close to WiFi.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Great pics so far Sig!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Made it Alamogordo NM.
Left Carlsbad and hit the Living Desert Museum.
Very nice and well maintained. The volunteers were great. Very chatty.
I then headed towards Alamogordo.
I skipped Carlsbad Caverns. I know many will disagree, but I did a cave the day before, and Im 6-4/300lbs. Caves just aren't my thing..

I took a ton of pictures on the drive down. The landscape really took my breath away. I have never seen anything like this before. I started out in basically barren desert. Then into the mountains (I called mountains) and then into deep forest, and back to desert.
Im sitting between two mountain ranges right now.
Once I got the camper setup and camper dog settled, I hit the Space Museum here. Very cool place. Small, but very well put together.

I plan to hit White Sands 1st thing in the morning. Then head towards Mesa. Google says it'll be about a 7 hour drive.

Hopefully have pics tomorrow as there is still no wifi.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Stand by. Did that day twice....
Ok Im on Day 6 then. I did the caverns at Sonara Tx. Thanks for the suggestion man!!!
Very cool place. I was in a hurry so they grouped me in with some 2nd graders!!! It was a blast through, the kids say the funniest things.
After that I stopped north of Carslbad NM at Brantley Lake State park. Very nice park and only $14!!! I made some steaks and sat outside watching Survivor.
I think thats where I left off.
Its hard to catch up after being offline for the few days.
Pics inbound.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:06:15 AM EDT
[#13]
This the the Living desert zoo, and the drive into Alamogordo NM. Once I got to Alam- and got set up, I hit the space museum. Still the pics aren't in order. I cant figure out an easy way to post large batches from Imgur to AR15.com.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Woke up today and left Alamogordo. I stopped by White Sand. It was surreal. Really, the sand looked very much like home, but it was harder. Truly a cool place with the mountains in the background.
I then left there and made the 6.5 hour drive into Mesa just before dark. Mesa is about as fucked up as Houston. Why do yall put the on ramps before the off ramps. People are scrambling to get off while others are trying to get on. Back home its the off ramp, then on ramp. I get off and then someone just takes my place. Most intersections are like that anyway.
Well here are the pics in a messed up order.
I saw some of those tall cactus's today for the first time. Its absolutely crazy. Every time I turn a corner, its something new.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:31:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Brings back memories.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#19]
So doing all this driving... want a dashcam for the dumb drivers yet?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So doing all this driving... want a dashcam for the dumb drivers yet?
View Quote

Really haven't seen anything too bad yet.
Easily the worst was 285 in TX. Goes right through the oil fields, and those MFers drive like maniacs. If you aren't going 90mph you are getting blown off the road. Then 18 wheelers just pull right out in front of you. People use the shoulder as a passing lane.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#21]
No real pics from today as I spent it recovering from last night. I am staying with ARFcommer Accidental. He made me go to a strip club last night. Need less to say I saw the sun come up, and have $1200 less in my bank account.
Today we had to fix the exhaust leak on the truck, which took about 10 minutes.
Then we grilled steaks and am just having a beer on the patio now.
Hopefully tomorrow we are going to IKEA for meatballs, and the Pima Museum.

The bad. I think I have smoked my transmission. The Dodge 68RFEs are the known weak spot. I have done the 2nd Gen swap, and a bunch of other stuff. Probably pushing close to 480HP. Add that and pulling a camper for 2000mi.....

I have to wait till Monday to start calling around shops. I maybe stuck in Mesa for a few days/weeks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No real pics from today as I spent it recovering from last night. I am staying with ARFcommer Accidental. He made me go to a strip club last night. Need less to say I saw the sun come up, and have $1200 less in my bank account.
Today we had to fix the exhaust leak on the truck, which took about 10 minutes.
Then we grilled steaks and am just having a beer on the patio now.
Hopefully tomorrow we are going to IKEA for meatballs, and the Pima Museum.

The bad. I think I have smoked my transmission. The Dodge 68RFEs are the known weak spot. I have done the 2nd Gen swap, and a bunch of other stuff. Probably pushing close to 480HP. Add that and pulling a camper for 2000mi.....

I have to wait till Monday to start calling around shops. I maybe stuck in Mesa for a few days/weeks.
View Quote

More strip clubs!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice looking rig, but sorry about the trans. Thanks for the cool pics.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Hope it's not that major and you can get back to your trip!
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Signal, sorry I missed you today, I had to go put out a fire at work.  Hope you enjoyed the museum.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Signal, sorry I missed you today, I had to go put out a fire at work.  Hope you enjoyed the museum.
View Quote

It was great man. And sorry I missed you. But thank you so much for the suggestion. I am uploading pics now from today.
The transmission didnt act up at all today. Im talking to a few guys in the Cummins forums and I dont think its as bad as I originally thought.
I am going to leave Meas in the morning and head to Woody Mountain
Campground & RV Park
2727 West Route 66 (Exit 191 off I-40)
Flagstaff, AZ 86001 for the next 2 days. Hopefully this time tomorrow Ill be in the Grand Canyon!!!
Pics in just a few. Waiting on them to upload.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Pics from today. I got up and went to Ikea. I wanted meatballs so bad. But they were having a Mother Day brunch. I wasnt going to waiting for 2 hours. So I walked around and looked then headed to Tucson for the Pima Museum. Very cool place. Lots of planes and stuff to look at. I took the tram tour and the guide was great. He talked about every plane out there. And I learned a few things......Ill be leaving Mesa tomorrow around 8 am and heading to Flagstaff to camp. From there I will venture into the Grand Canyon.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#28]
It was awesome having you by, come back anytime!
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It was awesome having you by, come back anytime!
View Quote

I had a blast man. Thanks for having me.

I made it into Flagstaff for the night.
Going to hit the Canyon tomorrow. Maybe.

Might run the truck back down to Strictly Diesel.

Flagstaff
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Best update I can manage.
This campground advertised as having wifi, but even sitting in the office I cant get it to work.
I have about 170 photos to upload, so I cant do that off my phone hot spot

For those keeping up. I left Mesa yesterday morning and made it into Flagstaff around 1pm.
I just sat around and ate and drank beer once I got setup.
Today I got up early and hit the Grand Canyon. That was the Pinnacle of this trip so far.
I wanted to cry, it was so moving. But I didnt. Obviously.
Tomorrow I am going to head towards Monument Valley, then onto Grand Staircase.
I talked to my boy this morning and he got the summer whatever thing he wanted to do.
So that give me and extra week.
I may try to work in 4 Corners I think its called. All 4 states touch.

Well I am off to get some dinner and rest my feet. Walked about 7 miles today according to S-Fit.
Teaser pic.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Somewhere there is a pic of 12 year old me standing on Four Corners.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cool man. Imma try to make it since there are 3 things somewhat close.
Grand Staircase, Monument Valley, then 4 corners tomorrow.
Going into tomorrow is the 1st time on this trip I haven't had a reservation for the next night.
Going to just drive as much as I can after the stops.
Hopefully I can make it up to Mesa Verde, then Ill just find a RV park up there.
With the weather the way it is, thinking of biting the bullet and trying to dry camp in Mesa Verde........
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Going into tomorrow is the 1st time on this trip I haven't had a reservation for the next night.
Hopefully I can make it up to Mesa Verde, then Ill just find a RV park up there.
With the weather the way it is, thinking of biting the bullet and trying to dry camp in Mesa Verde........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't there a lot of public land you can just pull over on and camp for the night?

Does your trailer have a generator?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Isn't there a lot of public land you can just pull over on and camp for the night?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont have a genny.
Solar is on my list of things to do.
But the weather is so nice here, Id be ok dry camping for the night.

But I ended up getting into a place right outside Mesa Verde.
Uploading pics now, and will have a few updates tonight.
The wifi here actually works, but its dreadfully slow.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#35]
This is day 11. The drive from Mesa to Flagstaff. It was rather uneventful. I got into Flagstaff about 1pm so I just sat around, ate, and drank beer for the evening.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Here are the pics from the Canyon. I can not begin to describe the feeling there. If there wasnt so many people around, I would have been in tears. Tardo (retied) made a lot of friends! I hope one day I can show my son this place.
Thats about all I can say about the place. No words are good enough.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#38]
This is day 13. I left Flagstaff and headed to Grand Staircase. However, I completely misunderstood the size of the place. The guide I talked to said it was about 1.9 million acres!! There is no way Id have time to see it all in the just the few hours I had. I walked around the little visitor center they had, snapped some pics, and called it good. I then turned back east towards 4 Corners. Cool place, but there was a group of stupid old yuppie bikers that were ruining it for everyone. The ones with all the leather and vests riding brand spanking new Harley's. They were dumb. I then made it on into Mesa Verde. Im camping right across the street from the Nat Park. Ill be here probably two night so I can hit the park, and the city of Durango.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice pics thanks for sharing!

But really you should be stopping near or around denver.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Day 14 was Mesa Verde. I was camped right across the street and had a great view of the park from my front door. This was probably my second favorite stop so far. The park is about a 20 mile drive up a very winding road. Lots of fun in a huge diesel!!! After Mesa Verde, I went into Durango CO. Cool little town, but wasnt really my thing. Lots of shops and stuff. I ate some lunch and headed back to the camper for the night.

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Day 15, I left Mesa Verde and headed to Boulder. The drive up was not fun at all. Wolf Creek pass was no joke. It started out very picturesque, then turned shitty quick. I am admittedly a very novice trailer driver, as this is my 1st camper. It was snowing and blowing hard up at the Summit. I had a hard pucker factor several times. I stopped in Colorado Springs to hit up MOD Armory for some NVG stuff. Then onto Boulder were I am staying with another 24.365er.

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:09:31 AM EDT
[#42]
This is a tag and an invite.

If you find your way up to Rapid City, let me know.

Lots of interesting things to see here.

Great hiking, could sneak you into to some abandoned mines, etc.

Some ok microbrews and cigar bars downtown.

Needles highway is a nice scenic drive. I could loan out one of the classics for that.

Buffalo and other critters in Custer State Park.

Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse Mt. and Harney Peak too.

The Badlands are best seen in the spring also.  If grass grew on the moon, that's what it looks like. Prairie dogs are down though.

Deadwood has gambling if that's your thing.

Also have guns and places to shoot as well.

Plenty of room for your rig on the place here or we have a KOA about 6 blocks away.

Shoot me an IM if interested.

Otherwise, keep us updated and keep moving on.

Someday I hope to do what you're doing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Dang man, I would love to make it, and it sounds like lots to do. But I'm turning east at Cheyenne Wy. I'm trying to make Indy in a week for the 500.
Next time though for sure.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#44]
No prob.

I first saw your thread last night so I figured it was kinda last second anyway.

Just thought it was really cool what you're doing and didn't know if you needed a stop over before heading east.

Good luck on your trip and like you said, maybe next time.

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No prob.
I first saw your thread last night so I figured it was kinda last second anyway.
Just thought it was really cool what you're doing and didn't know if you needed a stop over before heading east.
Good luck on your trip and like you said, maybe next time.
View Quote

Sure thing man.
Drinks will be on me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Sorry I havent updated pics in a few days.
The campground I am at has no wifi and Im killing m data plan uploading pics to IMGUR.
Im in Columbus NE right now and will be headed towards Omaha tomorrow.

And apparently I used to think you could travel by land to CAD and MX. But not anymore.
Ive crossed the Mexican border numerous times without a passport, but that was years and years ago.

So Canada is out for my sons trip.
His back up is Mt Rushmore, so we will be back through SD soon...
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Wow, what an adventure!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Ok Im way behind, and not sure if anyone is even following anymore. But Imma try to get caught up.
Day 16 was spent recovering in Boulder. Didnt really do much but hung out with my buddy and sipped water.
Day 17, I left Boulder, drove through Denver and stopped at Bass Pros. I left there and drove North to Cheyenne Wyoming. From there headed east into Nebraska. Made it into Columbus NE about 9pm and set up camp.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Day 18 didnt do much. Spent the day chilling in the camper and getting caught up on some chores, laundry, cleaning, etc. Then ate dinner with one of my buddies and slept. No pics that day as there wasnt anything really exciting.
Day 19, I drove around and explored Columbus NE a little. Found a little park, and took Tardo for a long walk along the river.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Day 21. Went to the SAC museum, Omaha Zoo, and the Cabelas in Omaha NE. Then had dinner with 3 guys from ARF, got diesel and headed east!! I drove till about 1030 and stopped in the Bass Pros parking lot of Des Moines IA.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top