Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good thread.

Tag to update later with pics and such when I'm more capable of hotlinks and such.

View Quote

LOL!

We are like Tom Bodette and Motel 6.

We`ll leave a light on for ya`! LOL!

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

LOL!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good thread.

Tag to update later with pics and such when I'm more capable of hotlinks and such.

LOL!

Today was day 5 of my liberal in laws staying with us.

I've been drinking a tad tonight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Made it bigger this year. Spreading out tomatoes so we don't get overwhelmed in August.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:43:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My wife finally got ours planted tonight--big tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, watermelon, and cucumbers.  That's it.  It's our first garden at this location, so we'll see how it does.  Next year will hopefully be better.  
View Quote

Have you had much gardening experience prior to your current location?

Hope that this years garden turns out well for you and yours!

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good thread.

LOL!

We`ll leave a light on for ya` my friend!

Nice to have you in my thread this evening!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#8]
K
Quoted:

Someone has been very busy!

Tell me about strawberries. Are they a cooler weather plant or heat tolerant? I like them but don`t know how to grow them. Never have tried.

I can tell you this though,

strawberries and Cool Whip are a tough combo to beat!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So how is everyone else`s garden doing tonight?

`Taters are popping out of the ground here,
beans are doing good except for something that is eating a few of the leaves.
Corn took its sweet time working itself out of the soil.

For you bean folks, a question.

Do you prefer runners or bush variety?

Have always done "bush brand" here.

Any other comments welcome on other things that you enjoy growing.

For beans I have done both but much prefer the bush varieties. I especially like Roma, Dragons Tongue, Blue Lake and Provider.
The only thing that I have planted so far this year is Peas. I have Garlic, Asparagus and Horseradish coming up from last year.
Today I spent a good part of the day renovating my strawberry bed. My new plants arrived this morning so that was good timing. I have 100 Brunswick, 50 Honeoye, 50 Sparkle, 50 Jewel and 100 Cabot. The strawberry patch is double rows and is 40'x35'. Here is a photo of today's work
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jpmako/Mobile%20Uploads/353D1E17-9CE6-4B2C-AE2D-71827560F1DD.jpg

Tell me about strawberries. Are they a cooler weather plant or heat tolerant? I like them but don`t know how to grow them. Never have tried.

I had a very nice strawberry bed until one of my bottle baby goats got out and eat every one of them. Oh well, replanted the next spring and hubby accidentally mowed them down. I now just buy what I need. Much easier on my blood pressure!

If you are located near my end of east TN, Mann's Farms strawberries are coming in. I got a flat last week !!!

Now to answer your bean question, I have grown bush, half runner, and pole beans. I prefer the pole beans the most. You can grown a smaller amount of pole beans and get more beans per season than with the other varieties. I can a lot of beans so pole beans makes it much easier. This years pole beans will be Missouri Wonders, Rattlesnake, and Turkey Craw.

I always plant greasy beans which is a bush bean just because they taste so damn good. I grow a small amount of peanut beans (half runner) just to eat fresh. I typically, when they are ready to gather, just pull vine and all up, harvest the beans, and replant for another crop.

I am going to try growing a shelly bean this year as well. I have fond memories of sitting on the porch at my grandmas and everybody string beans to dry. It may turn out unsuccessful but you never know until you try!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:20:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes--much.  I'm old enough children were used for slave labor in the gardens which fed the family.  I quite literally spent most of the summers in the 1960s and '70s working in the garden.  

Example--my dad had built a new house in a new subdivision when I was 16 or 17.  He got permission to put a garden in the lot behind our house, of course with the agreement he would lose it if it sold and had a house started on it.  There was a "family tiller" my grandfather had left but he didn't want to use it to break new ground, so he put four stakes in about 40' apart and handed me a shovel and a pair of leather gloves.  Every night after school, until it was too dark to see, I turned the soil over to the depth of the shovel (8").  It took two weeks working every night and most of the weekends.  I hated him for it, but it taught me how to run a shovel.

Once I was done he used the tiller to make it nice, then I raked the grass clumps out.  We planted it afterward.  Then came the canning . . .

It took a long time before I wanted a garden of my own.  But I had one the second year I was on my own--and many more since.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife finally got ours planted tonight--big tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, watermelon, and cucumbers.  That's it.  It's our first garden at this location, so we'll see how it does.  Next year will hopefully be better.  

Yes--much.  I'm old enough children were used for slave labor in the gardens which fed the family.  I quite literally spent most of the summers in the 1960s and '70s working in the garden.  

Example--my dad had built a new house in a new subdivision when I was 16 or 17.  He got permission to put a garden in the lot behind our house, of course with the agreement he would lose it if it sold and had a house started on it.  There was a "family tiller" my grandfather had left but he didn't want to use it to break new ground, so he put four stakes in about 40' apart and handed me a shovel and a pair of leather gloves.  Every night after school, until it was too dark to see, I turned the soil over to the depth of the shovel (8").  It took two weeks working every night and most of the weekends.  I hated him for it, but it taught me how to run a shovel.

Once I was done he used the tiller to make it nice, then I raked the grass clumps out.  We planted it afterward.  Then came the canning . . .

It took a long time before I wanted a garden of my own.  But I had one the second year I was on my own--and many more since.  

Something tells me you are an old cuss.

A tough one.

For the last 10 years I have run a tiller but haven`t worked the soil like you did. The first unbroken turning was........a blistering experience.

Much respect in my comments towards you.

Canning. Now there is a subject to be discussed. Long nights doing it when the produce was coming in. Once started, couldn`t be stopped. Some long days the next morning at work after being up all night.

You ever can any meat?

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:26:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
K

I had a very nice strawberry bed until one of my bottle baby goats got out and eat every one of them. Oh well, replanted the next spring and hubby accidentally mowed them down. I now just buy what I need. Much easier on my blood pressure!

If you are located near my end of east TN, Mann's Farms strawberries are coming in. I got a flat last week !!!

Now to answer your bean question, I have grown bush, half runner, and pole beans. I prefer the pole beans the most. You can grown a smaller amount of pole beans and get more beans per season than with the other varieties. I can a lot of beans so pole beans makes it much easier. This years pole beans will be Missouri Wonders, Rattlesnake, and Turkey Craw.

I always plant greasy beans which is a bush bean just because they taste so damn good. I grow a small amount of peanut beans (half runner) just to eat fresh. I typically, when they are ready to gather, just pull vine and all up, harvest the beans, and replant for another crop.

I am going to try growing a shelly bean this year as well. I have fond memories of sitting on the porch at my grandmas and everybody string beans to dry. It may turn out unsuccessful but you never know until you try!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
K
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So how is everyone else`s garden doing tonight?

`Taters are popping out of the ground here,
beans are doing good except for something that is eating a few of the leaves.
Corn took its sweet time working itself out of the soil.

For you bean folks, a question.

Do you prefer runners or bush variety?

Have always done "bush brand" here.

Any other comments welcome on other things that you enjoy growing.

For beans I have done both but much prefer the bush varieties. I especially like Roma, Dragons Tongue, Blue Lake and Provider.
The only thing that I have planted so far this year is Peas. I have Garlic, Asparagus and Horseradish coming up from last year.
Today I spent a good part of the day renovating my strawberry bed. My new plants arrived this morning so that was good timing. I have 100 Brunswick, 50 Honeoye, 50 Sparkle, 50 Jewel and 100 Cabot. The strawberry patch is double rows and is 40'x35'. Here is a photo of today's work
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jpmako/Mobile%20Uploads/353D1E17-9CE6-4B2C-AE2D-71827560F1DD.jpg

Hey! Good to see you pop back in and comment!

I chuckled when you mentioned shelly beans.

Always loved raw beans until I ate too many of them one time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:28:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:36:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No--always use a deep freeze for meat.  We bought a half a beef, and an occasional hog, every year when I was growing up, and I've kept myself supplied with venison since I've been grown.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
You ever can any meat?

No--always use a deep freeze for meat.  We bought a half a beef, and an occasional hog, every year when I was growing up, and I've kept myself supplied with venison since I've been grown.  

Dawg!

I`ve heard that one can can meat. Never tried it. I am thinking that it is becoming a lost art.

Thank you for commenting this evening and I have enjoyed speaking with you and others in this thread!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#14]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/b]

View All Quotes

Why did you chuckle about my Shelly beans? Something you know that I need to know? I am really flying blind on this one. Just a few childhood memeories are guiding me.

You raw bean debacle sounds about like my sweet pickle incident. I loved the sweet pickles my neighbor lady made. Well she gave me 2 quarts of them when they were ready to eat. I took them, plopped down under a shade tree, and proceeded to eat both quarts and drank most of the juice. To say I was sick would be a giant understatement. To this day, I can smell sweet pickles and want to start gagging.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:38:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dawg!

I`ve heard that one can can meat. Never tried it. I am thinking that it is becoming a lost art.

Thank you for commenting this evening and I have enjoyed speaking with you and others in this thread!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
You ever can any meat?

Dawg!

You can.  There are recipes published and packaged with nearly every pressure canner sold.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:43:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Dawg!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
You ever can any meat?

Dawg!

I have canned sausage before and it looks like a chemistry project that went very wrong!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think gitarmac knows how to can meat.  She's an avid gardener.  
View Quote

Would have never guessed it BK!

I still want to try doing a hive of bees.

I still have the kitties with sigs multi-page thread bookmarked!

It is nice to have folks show up in GD with so much experience that they want to share!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:59:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why did you chuckle about my Shelly beans? Something you know that I need to know? I am really flying blind on this one. Just a few childhood memeories are guiding me.

You raw bean debacle sounds about like my sweet pickle incident. I loved the sweet pickles my neighbor lady made. Well she gave me 2 quarts of them when they were ready to eat. I took them, plopped down under a shade tree, and proceeded to eat both quarts and drank most of the juice. To say I was sick would be a giant understatement. To this day, I can smell sweet pickles and want to start gagging.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Uh..... yeah. I got a "little sick" is an understatement.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:03:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You can.  There are recipes published and packaged with nearly every pressure canner sold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
You ever can any meat?

Dawg!

That is one realm of canning that I want to "step up to the plate" and do one day.

The bad thing is, is that I don`t want to make any mistakes in doing it.

Mistakes lead to being sick or worse. Eek!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:07:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still break new ground with a shovel. It's not a production method just the way I was taught.   Anyone have an excuse for this?

IOf course, i'm talking about plots instead of acres. I love garden threads
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:09:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have canned sausage before and it looks like a chemistry project that went very wrong!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
You ever can any meat?

Dawg!

OK. So have you tried it again or any other meat since then?

My only problem is.....uncertainty and the proverbial making a mistake and then..........

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:12:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I still break new ground with a shovel. It's not a production method just the way I was taught.   Anyone have an excuse for this?

I of course, i'm talking about plots instead of acres. I love garden threads
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I of course, i'm talking about plots instead of acres. I love garden threads

Hang out awhile! Good to have you here!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:13:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My only problem is.....uncertainty and the proverbial making a mistake and then..........

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
You ever can any meat?

Dawg!

Canned sausage looks terrible. Don't knock it til you try it.      Fresh sausage is about the best you will ever taste.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:28:02 AM EDT
[#24]
"Canned sausage looks terrible. Don't knock it til you try it. Fresh sausage is about the best you will ever taste."

I have heard the same thing about canned potatoes which is something else I want to try but never have.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:33:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Volunteers can and do pop up when you least expect them. LOL!

View Quote

Half of my broccoli is growing between rocks that cascade down the edge of a raised bed, and much of the lettuce (and some more broccoli) is growing in my lawn!  I've been slowly trying to pick the plants out, and transfer them to a bed.  The lettuce doesn't seem to take too well to transplanting, although it appears to be recovering from the shock.

I didn't really think of it, but I also have some blueberry bushes that are slowly recovering from the last two terrible winters, a "hardy kiwi" vine, and some blackberries.  Home-grown fruit destroys 99% of store-bought.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:48:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Half of my broccoli is growing between rocks that cascade down the edge of a raised bed, and much of the lettuce (and some more broccoli) is growing in my lawn!  I've been slowly trying to pick the plants out, and transfer them to a bed.  The lettuce doesn't seem to take too well to transplanting, although it appears to be recovering from the shock.

I didn't really think of it, but I also have some blueberry bushes that are slowly recovering from the last two terrible winters, a "hardy kiwi" vine, and some blackberries.  Home-grown fruit destroys 99% of store-bought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Volunteers can and do pop up when you least expect them. LOL!

Interesting that you should say that.

The first time that I bit into an ear of corn or a potato that I grew,

I was hooked.

The taste was way beyond what I had known.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I just got all of my tomatoes up into the garage so that I can start hardening them off.
In total I have 100 that have made it. Varieties include: Amish Paste, San Marzano, Blue Berries, Solar Flare, Gooseberry, Principe Borghese, Yellow Pear, Red Pear, Honey Bunch Grape, Chadwick, Black Plum, Martinos Roma, Romeo (Very Rare) and some Family Heirlooms.

I will update later with my Peppers, Zukes, Squash and Melons.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#28]
We're putting in a raised bed in our back yard.  We'll do cucumbers and tomatoes, for sure, plus some beans along the fence line.  Not sure what else, at this point.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#29]
May try a few potted tomatoes in the backyard, but that will be it. The past four years I've rented a small plot from the city, but passed on it this spring as I know I simply won't have the time due to other projects that need taking care of.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I want to do a vegetable garden in my new (to me) house but I don't want to dig up the flower bed that is already planted.  I might just wait until next year to do that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just got all of my tomatoes up into the garage so that I can start hardening them off.
In total I have 100 that have made it. Varieties include: Amish Paste, San Marzano, Blue Berries, Solar Flare, Gooseberry, Principe Borghese, Yellow Pear, Red Pear, Honey Bunch Grape, Chadwick, Black Plum, Martinos Roma, Romeo (Very Rare) and some Family Heirlooms.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jpmako/Mobile%20Uploads/BC0FC9CD-FD54-4ACF-B725-4D355D2255A2.jpg
I will update later with my Peppers, Zukes, Squash and Melons.
View Quote

I suspect that someone has more room than I do, for all of what you just listed!

I hope that your growing season serves you well!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We're putting in a raised bed in our back yard.  We'll do cucumbers and tomatoes, for sure, plus some beans along the fence line.  Not sure what else, at this point.
View Quote

I have a few friends that have done raised bed gardening.

Have you ever tried doing anything in a container of some sort?

Might experiment this year and try to see what kind of results that I get.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
May try a few potted tomatoes in the backyard, but that will be it. The past four years I've rented a small plot from the city, but passed on it this spring as I know I simply won't have the time due to other projects that need taking care of.
View Quote

Never tried potted tomatoes but I considered it this year.

I am curious as to see how well a potted potato plant would do. Maybe try one in a 5 gallon bucket or something.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I want to do a vegetable garden in my new (to me) house but I don't want to dig up the flower bed that is already planted.  I might just wait until next year to do that.
View Quote

Can you break some ground elsewhere in the backyard or something and maybe try to grow a few things?

I started in an area that the previous owner had his caged dogs in. The ground was covered in wood chips. The first year after I turned all of that stuff under, the plants produced very well. Added soil amendments later to keep up the momentum.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
"60 Tomatoes, did 120 last year"

Were those plants meant to be for personal consumption or something else?

The reason that I ask is that, I usually do two plants here per year...and when those rascals get going, I can`t handle everything that they produce. Gave away 75% of what they made. LOL!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will take some pics tomorrow,

60 Tomatoes, did 120 last year but my main mato eater passed away April 10th.

Around 2 lbs of sweet corn and

2-3 lbs of beans mostly  because I had a lot of seed gave to me.

Will throw out some melons and cucumbers in the next couple days after this cold spell breaks.Hope it does not hurt my matos but they are in the black paper and that should keep the ground temp up a little during the day.

The reason that I ask is that, I usually do two plants here per year...and when those rascals get going, I can`t handle everything that they produce. Gave away 75% of what they made. LOL!

Some years I can, others I just give most away, to friends and family, my set up takes me about 2-3 hours of work and about $20-30 in fuel/plant trays, I save my seeds and start new plants at the beginning of May. i am out $7 for 60-70 tomatoes, I have a 3 point tiller on the back of my tractor. Use weed barrier paper and brinks to hold it to the top of the soil, cut x in it plant tomatoes water and my year is done.  

Been doing it for years and just have perfected my set up, if they only had round up ready sweet corn I would put my 5 acre field out in it.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Some years I can, others I just give most away, to friends and family, my set up takes me about 2-3 hours of work and about $20-30 in fuel/plant trays, I save my seeds and start new plants at the beginning of May. i am out $7 for 60-70 tomatoes, I have a 3 point tiller on the back of my tractor. Use weed barrier paper and brinks to hold it to the top of the soil, cut x in it plant tomatoes water and my year is done.  

Been doing it for years and just have perfected my set up, if they only had round up ready sweet corn I would put my 5 acre field out in it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will take some pics tomorrow,
60 Tomatoes, did 120 last year but my main mato eater passed away April 10th.
Around 2 lbs of sweet corn and
2-3 lbs of beans mostly  because I had a lot of seed gave to me.

Will throw out some melons and cucumbers in the next couple days after this cold spell breaks.Hope it does not hurt my matos but they are in the black paper and that should keep the ground temp up a little during the day.

I couldn`t imagine working with 5 acres of corn.

Your freezer is bigger than mine!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Things are looking good in my garden, but the damn birds are feasting on strawberries before they mature
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Things are looking good in my garden, but the damn birds are feasting on strawberries before they mature
View Quote

Which birds are the worst?

I don`t have a problem with them until around September. The rascals seem to like to peck holes in the ripening tomatoes.

I don`t ever see them doing it so I don`t know what variety of flyers seem to prefer to do it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Drive metal pole into ground.

Tie pie tin to pole with string.

Profit.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don`t have a problem with them until around September. The rascals seem to like to peck holes in the ripening tomatoes.

I don`t ever see them doing it so I don`t know what variety of flyers seem to prefer to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't caught them yet, assuming its them due to bird doodie in the area. Pie plate scarecrow listed below may be in order!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Profit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Profit.

I have heard that old CD`s work too.

Thinking anything reflective spinning in the wind, will run anything flying, off.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thinking anything reflective spinning in the wind, will run anything flying, off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Profit.

The reason I like pie tins is they also make noise banging against the pole, in addition to being reflective and catching wind easily.

Don't know if the noise helps with birds, but it makes me feel better.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Another really good trick for any bird is "snakes" made from any kind of hose.  I scrounge old garden hoses wherever I can find them and cut them into 3-4' pieces.  The best are the old style washing machine hoses.  Collect them and use them year after year.  ALL birds (including wild turkeys and crows) are terrified of snakes--even fake ones.  Just scatter them around the site.
View Quote

Now there is an idea I hadn`t thought about!

I might just wrap some hose around my tomato cages this year and see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The reason I like pie tins is they also make noise banging against the pole, in addition to being reflective and catching wind easily.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Profit.

Willing to try anything for different problems. Sometimes things farfetched work, while others don`t.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I've got 3 bell pepper plants from last year and two planters full of Filius Blue peppers that I'll keep growing indoors.
I've got 6 4x8 garden boxes that I'm planting this weekend and a roughly 10x30 garden in my backyard that is going to be 30% corn, 30% coming vegetables, and the rest peppers and tomatoes. I also planted the side of my house with blueberries and rhubarb.

I love gardening. It's a cheap way to prep, and it's s chance to work with my hands.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I pulled a monster asparagus spear out of the garden the other day.  It was hard to get a good pic with the little guy swinging it around.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've got 3 bell pepper plants from last year and two planters full of Filius Blue peppers that I'll keep growing indoors.
I've got 6 4x8 garden boxes that I'm planting this weekend and a roughly 10x30 garden in my backyard that is going to be 30% corn, 30% coming vegetables, and the rest peppers and tomatoes. I also planted the side of my house with blueberries and rhubarb.

I love gardening. It's a cheap way to prep, and it's s chance to work with my hands.
View Quote

I like it because it is therapeutic to work in, although I hate pulling weeds.

I like it also, because I am now short of cash and still have food from last years crops to eat.

I like it too, because the things that I grew and ate, were not sprayed with anything.

I still want to do a trashcan or some kind of container with a potato plant in it watered regularly, to see if I can increase the size of the `taters that one may not be able to get any other way.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I pulled a monster asparagus spear out of the garden the other day.  It was hard to get a good pic with the little guy swinging it around.

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af228/galtphoto/C5CB8ECF-D2B0-4130-B62F-E98EDC5E2753_zpstdsvxvgr.jpg
View Quote

I grinned!

That is a really good photo!

I don`t much like asparagus but I will say this. It doesn`t matter what I like or dislike. The main thing is, it appears that your soil conditions were great for making produce of that size!

I commend you for your efforts!

I wish I was the age of the little fellow still.

I didn`t know what a mortgage was at that age.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I grinned!

I don`t much like asparagus but I will say this. It doesn`t matter what I like or dislike. The main thing is, it appears that your soil conditions were great for making produce of that size!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af228/galtphoto/C5CB8ECF-D2B0-4130-B62F-E98EDC5E2753_zpstdsvxvgr.jpg

I grinned!

Thanks.  I was trying to get a cute pic to send to the wife while she was at work, but he wouldn't stop moving.  

The best thing about kids and gardening is feeding the food to them.  His first real food was carrots from my basement (GD joke here) growing experiment under artificial light.  

As for the soil conditions I really only have one method that works great for everything.  Never till and mulch heavily.  It cuts down on weeds and the soil stays light and fluffy.

Eta-  here's a pic from earlier this year.  Not much to see, but I don't have a current pic.  I've since lost those peppers to frost and have planted more. I usually start about 40 peppers and tomatoes indoors under light and plant early.  If they survive, great that's the goal, if not oh well, I have a ton more.

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top