Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 4/28/2015 9:08:15 PM EDT
What have been your best producers and what was a pain in the butt to have to deal with?

I am doing Silver Queen corn, Better Boy `maters, Blue Lake beans, Kennebec `taters, cabbage, and cauliflower.

The `taters I like but it is a pain to have to hill them up.....and dig them out later. They do store well in the ground however, until one wants to use them. 9 months in the ground before I dug up the last planting. Granted, a few were unusable, the rest,

Cabbage seems to attract those little green worms which love to eat.

The beans, dad blamed MBBs` always show up. Every single year. The first planting gets a thorough arse raping egg laying bug. The 2nd, not so much. Guess it is too late in the season for them to go crazy trying to lay eggs on the plants, at that point.

Yes. My verbiage may be foreign to some. I am from the south and we do talk that way occasionally.

I LOVE the smell of fresh dirt!

ETA, anyone tried doing container gardening?

I have thought about doing `taters in a bucket or trash can. Hill them up as they grow taller. Anyone had good results doing that?

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
So it looks like everyone is buying from BK, McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, Wendys`, and Krystals nowadays.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I do a garden every year out here in the Rockies.  I struggle most with tomatoes because of the short growing season and have the most success with lettuces and kale.  I've found over the past few years in a high alpine climate that starting your seeds indoors around March really helps your grow season and watering everyday in a dry climate.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Onions in and coming up good.Potatos in but not coming up yet.

I have pepper and tomato plants in the house doing great,but waiting another week or so before transplanting them outside (still had some cold nights).Rhubarb and asparagus coming up good,and the strawberry plants all look good as well.Lots of blossoms on the apple trees.

Nothing like homegrown.......
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#4]
In my garden is a Whiteshield tree (fruitless, thornless Bodark / Boi D'Arc / hedge apple / horse apple / maclura pomifera) that I am growing to let its trunk thicken before chopping into a bonsai, two grapevines and two blueberry bushes (though I do not recall the variety of those).
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#5]
My raised beds are back in business. I didn't put in as many plants and the bean and other seeds I tried to grow were too old. I was afraid of that.

But I'm back to composting again, that's always fun. I hope to control the pests better this year since I don't have the plants all crowdedd.

I will at least have peppers, tomatoes,  and eggplant.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Out West it isn't worth growing corn, no water to start and when in season ears are 4 for $1. I do grow onions, tomats, peppers.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Doing my first garden this year. Little raised bed... got 4 better boy plants, bell peppers, zuchinni, squash, cukes, spinach, mixed greens, and a little plot of strawberries. Greens look great, my squash germinated great and came up in like a week. Probably cold for maters still, they're just kind of hangin out.  I planted my spinach too late apparently.

I don't expect much honestly, just to learn the first couple of years.

Eta: and 2 blueberry bushes
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#8]
My garden is about 10K square feet...my wife and I will eat from it for the next 8 months
My Friends will receive some goodies also

250 feet of potatoes, already sprouted
150 feet of beets, only 50 feet planted so far
150 carrots, they'll get planted in 2weeks
50 staggered broccoli plants
12 assorted winter squash
Assorted onions, garlic
Assorted Chinese cabbage, lettuce, European cabbage and snow peas
Assorted tomatoes, beans
I'm sure I've left out something....

Eta... Spinach
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep.
I have my raised bed garden almost all set up.

And several geneses of my tomato plants have germinated and I'm almost ready to plant.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My garden is about 10K square feet...my wife and I will eat from it for the next 8 months

Assorted onions, garlic
Assorted tomatoes, beans

Eta... Spinach
View Quote

I think you are a farmer, not a gardener.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I do a garden every year out here in the Rockies.  I struggle most with tomatoes because of the short growing season and have the most success with lettuces and kale.  I've found over the past few years in a high alpine climate that starting your seeds indoors around March really helps your grow season and watering everyday in a dry climate.
View Quote

How many months out of the growing season are most "profitable" for you?

When I say that, I mean, how long do you have to grow the things that you want to?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Onions in and coming up good.Potatos in but not coming up yet.

I have pepper and tomato plants in the house doing great,but waiting another week or so before transplanting them outside (still had some cold nights).Rhubarb and asparagus coming up good,and the strawberry plants all look good as well.Lots of blossoms on the apple trees.

Nothing like homegrown.......
View Quote

You hit the nail on the head.

I have never done strawberries but I do like them.

Can you share some information as to how to grow them and their preferences to growing conditions?

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assorted onions, garlic
Assorted tomatoes, beans

Eta... Spinach

I've been accused of that....last year I grew a broccoli head that weighed almost 3 pounds.

This year I expect to harvest about 400 to 500 pounds of potatoes...
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In my garden is a Whiteshield tree (fruitless, thornless Bodark / Boi D'Arc / hedge apple / horse apple / maclura pomifera) that I am growing to let its trunk thicken before chopping into a bonsai, two grapevines and two blueberry bushes (though I do not recall the variety of those).
View Quote

Blueberries...........

Never tried them.

Are they something that needs to be grown in cooler weather or are they heat tolerant during the summer while they are maturing?

Water requirements?

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My raised beds are back in business. I didn't put in as many plants and the bean and other seeds I tried to grow were too old. I was afraid of that.

But I'm back to composting again, that's always fun. I hope to control the pests better this year since I don't have the plants all crowdedd.

I will at least have peppers, tomatoes,  and eggplant.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

How has the composting worked out for you?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
The little lady & I do one every year.......she work on it more......ok she does all the work
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Out West it isn't worth growing corn, no water to start and when in season ears are 4 for $1. I do grow onions, tomats, peppers.

View Quote

Ever thought about using a rain barrel to take care of a small garden?

I have a feeling that you may be working on a larger scale than the average home gardener. Not sure. Just asking.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I planted heirloom tomatoes but that's about it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Doing my first garden this year. Little raised bed... got 4 better boy plants, bell peppers, zuchinni, squash, cukes, spinach, mixed greens, and a little plot of strawberries. Greens look great, my squash germinated great and came up in like a week. Probably cold for maters still, they're just kind of hangin out.  I planted my spinach too late apparently.

I don't expect much honestly, just to learn the first couple of years.

Eta: and 2 blueberry bushes
View Quote

I started the same way you are right now.

I am still making mistakes. To never have tried, is to ultimately have failed.

Hang in there! Takes time to learn about things that you are interested in.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#20]
25 tomato plants.
6 to 10 chili pepper plants
3 varieties of cukes
tobacco seeds didn't work this year
blue lake green beans

Right now there are about 300 garlic and 250 onions getting ready to get pulled
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have a feeling that you may be working on a larger scale than the average home gardener. Not sure. Just asking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha. Rain? Never heard of it. OK, just slightly joking. A good storm might fill one barrel. We had a few inches in January, that was it. 4 years of drought at this point (NorCal-Bay Area). My garden this year is 5 straw bales for tomats and peppers and about 130 sq feet for onions. Have a couple pumpkins coming in from my compost from last year.

ETA: Did you know there is a gardening/homestead forum here under outdoors? There are some current threads that go back a year or more. Good reading when you have had your fill of GD for the day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#22]
OP look up "garbage can potatoes." Much easier to deal with, and get a "Farmers Almanac" for some tips and tricks.

ETA: Blueberries are easy, keeping birds off them is hard. They grow in the summer here in FL, so TN should be fine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Assorted onions, garlic
Assorted tomatoes, beans

Eta... Spinach
View Quote

I only wish that I had the space that you do.

That is a nice "plot" size that you are growing in!

The neighbors wouldn`t be able to see my house if I went to the scale and magnitude that you are working with!

Tell me about the beets.

When is the best time to grow them?

Do they like cooler weather or are they warmer weather tolerant?

Days to maturity on average?

I have no idea on growing them and I do like them.

Do you start them from seed or do you buy the plants already started?

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Blueberries...........

Never tried them.

Are they something that needs to be grown in cooler weather or are they heat tolerant during the summer while they are maturing?

Water requirements?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blueberries...........

Never tried them.

Water requirements?

There are blueberries adapted to both southern and northern climates.  I planted northern highbush types (Chandler, Spartan, Elliott) here in N IL.  Not sure which type you will need in TN.  Blueberries require acidic soil and frequent watering.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What have been your best producers and what was a pain in the butt to have to deal with?

I am doing Silver Queen corn, Better Boy `maters, Blue Lake beans, Kennebec `taters, cabbage, and cauliflower.

The `taters I like but it is a pain to have to hill them up.....and dig them out later. They do store well in the ground however, until one wants to use them. 9 months in the ground before I dug up the last planting. Granted, a few were unusable, the rest,

Cabbage seems to attract those little green worms which love to eat.

The beans, dad blamed MBBs` always show up. Every single year. The first planting gets a thorough arse raping egg laying bug. The 2nd, not so much. Guess it is too late in the season for them to go crazy trying to lay eggs on the plants, at that point.

Yes. My verbiage may be foreign to some. I am from the south and we do talk that way occasionally.

I LOVE the smell of fresh dirt!

ETA, anyone tried doing container gardening?

I have thought about doing `taters in a bucket or trash can. Hill them up as they grow taller. Anyone had good results doing that?

View Quote

I think you'd actually get better feedback in the 'Outdoors/Home and Garden' than in fruitcake GD.

But, regarding taters in a container, we plant some in the tubs left after cattle eat the protein licks.  I've not seen more in those just because they are upright.  The others we put in the ground and pile straw on top.  The only difference is that the lick tubs are easier to get out the taters--just tip them over.  You can also eat off the straw covered taters throughout the late spring until you get them all in, you just lift up the straw and get you a tater.

My pontification du jour:  The farther people get from knowing where their food comes from (including how to process a chicken or a beef), the faster we circle the drain.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yep.I have my raised bed garden almost all set up.
And several geneses of my tomato plants have germinated and I'm almost ready to plant.

http://m8.i.pbase.com/o9/72/325172/1/159749898.44PkRBq4.RBgarden1.jpg

http://m9.i.pbase.com/o9/72/325172/1/159896899.stmhdclJ.Plants.jpg

View Quote

Have friends around here who are doing raised bed plantings.

You have a nice garden going!

Thanks for the photos!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#27]
5 acres of soy beans, 6 acres of turnips and rye.

The deer and turkeys love it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Trying to, but it has been raining constantly since January here.

I'd be happy just to be able to mow my yard on a regular basis.

LC
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've been accused of that....last year I grew a broccoli head that weighed almost 3 pounds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assorted onions, garlic
Assorted tomatoes, beans

Eta... Spinach

I wouldn`t have room ANYWHERE for that amount of produce!

Nice job!

I do know that it takes effort put in, to yield the results that you will get.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#30]
The trash can potatoes to me seems counterintuitive; How much light gets to the bottom during most of the day? I would think damn little. Sounds good on the surface in theory though. Anyone with experience that can comment? Maybe slow starters but take off when larger?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Got a late start in the seed starting this year...as in yesterday.

Trying burpee super sauce tomatoes again this year, but planting them around a compost bucket this time. Last year wasn't so great.

Spaghetti squash again, cukes again after skipping them a few years, will put in pepper plants also. Will try sweet potatoes and red potatoes this year.

I also started a lot of flowers for around the house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

How many plants did you do?

Anymore than 2 during the season, I have `maters sitting everywhere in the house.

They seem to have a tendency to come in like gangbusters around August or September. I am giving them away like mad!

Anyone else here had that problem??
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
25 tomato plants.
3 varieties of cukes
blue lake green beans

View Quote

You are going to be swimming in `maters in a bit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Trying burpee super sauce tomatoes again this year, but planting them around a compost bucket this time. Last year wasn't so great.

Spaghetti squash again, cukes again after skipping them a few years, will put in pepper plants also. Will try sweet potatoes and red potatoes this year.

View Quote

How are you going to handle sweet potatoes?  I'd like to grow them as well, but it looks like we're going to have to take extra steps to warm the soil in the spring and keep it warm in the fall.  A popular technique I see online is a sheet of clear 4 mil plastic over the beds or garden.  Slots are cut in the plastic and sweet potato slips are planted through the cuts once soil temp gets over 50something degrees.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Anymore than 2 during the season, I have `maters sitting everywhere in the house.

They seem to have a tendency to come in like gangbusters around August or September. I am giving them away like mad!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Canning is the solution.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

25 tomato plants.

3 varieties of cukes

blue lake green beans

Got 48 started indoors right now.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The neighbors wouldn`t be able to see my house if I went to the scale and magnitude that you are working with!

Tell me about the beets.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assorted onions, garlic
Assorted tomatoes, beans

Eta... Spinach

Tell me about the beets.

Beets are my favorite...very sweet and they have a huge health benefit.
The leaves can be trimmed when young for salads, high in iron...

50 days is about the earliest...these will be golf ball in size.
Most of mine get to hard ball or soft ball size....large ones have gone to 3 pounds!
Baking is my favorite preparation, slice into quarters or more, toss in olive oil and bake.
You can cut baking time by nuking in the microwave for several minutes.

I generally plant from seed once the weather has warmed...in our climate I generally leave them
in the round till I need them. However, the don't do good in a hard freeze.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How are you going to handle sweet potatoes?  I'd like to grow them as well, but it looks like we're going to have to take extra steps to warm the soil in the spring and keep it warm in the fall.  A popular technique I see online is a sheet of clear 4 mil plastic over the beds or garden.  Slots are cut in the plastic and sweet potato slips are planted through the cuts once soil temp gets over 50something degrees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not having done sweet potatoes before, we are going to plant them in a southern facing slope and let it rip.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I have about 18 tomato plants assorted variety, about 10 pepper plants that always do great. I planted a row of radish's and just tried them yesterday and boy they are hot more than my likely. I also have about 10 rows of purple hull peas and 8 rows of sweet corn. I also have a mound of zucchini, cantaloupe, and 2 mounds of straight neck squash. It is really more than I can manage but worth it. I started this year by putting 10 yards of mushroom dirt in the garden. My garden is about 30X60. I tried growing some Carolina Reapers by seed but they didn't make it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:28:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Haha. Rain? Never heard of it. OK, just slightly joking. A good storm might fill one barrel. We had a few inches in January, that was it. 4 years of drought at this point (NorCal-Bay Area). My garden this year is 5 straw bales for tomats and peppers and about 130 sq feet for onions. Have a couple pumpkins coming in from my compost from last year.

ETA: Did you know there is a gardening/homestead forum here under outdoors? There are some current threads that go back a year or more. Good reading when you have had your fill of GD for the day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw that the other day.

Was wanting to hit a "high traffic area" this evening to cover a multitude of questions, and to hear comments from so many people that could step in quickly, on a work week night.

I love this place! It has taught me much from people that have been there, and done " this or that"!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not having done sweet potatoes before, we are going to plant them in a southern facing slope and let it rip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice! . Let us know how that works out.  I'd rather not mess with a bunch of extra stuff if I don't have to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#42]
23 tomato plants, Cherokee purple, pear, Tycoon, Roma. About a dozen mixed peppers, squash, carrots, cucumbers, cilantro, corn, a peanut plant, a pumpkin plant, plus more. Onions are doing awesome in a 4x4 raised box.

This was 3 weeks ago, a lot different now.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
OP look up "garbage can potatoes." Much easier to deal with, and get a "Farmers Almanac" for some tips and tricks.

ETA: Blueberries are easy, keeping birds off them is hard. They grow in the summer here in FL, so TN should be fine.
View Quote

Some folks have had good results with the garbage can `taters while others have not.

I am interested in the idea but I am unsure of why some were successful and others were not.

Hmmmm............

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
5 acres of soy beans, 6 acres of turnips and rye.

The deer and turkeys love it.
View Quote

LOL!

How are your results with the turnips?

When is the best time to plant for you?

How long until maturity for you?

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Putting in tomatoes, green beans, sweet peas, squash, zucchini, onions, peppers and corn.  Corn is the hardest since all the local deer like to fatten up on it.  This year I plan to fatten up on them in return.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The trash can potatoes to me seems counterintuitive; How much light gets to the bottom during most of the day? I would think damn little. Sounds good on the surface in theory though. Anyone with experience that can comment? Maybe slow starters but take off when larger?
View Quote

Curious to that question that you put to the audience too.

I would like to try it.

Never have.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#47]
No op, we raised a garden for years (and have the canning to prove it) so we're taking a break from it this year

Other than a couple tomato plants, artichoke and onions I put out, we should be set food wise, for any apocalypses that may arise

Feels kinda nice but do feel a twinge of guilt for not turning some ground
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Canning is the solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Canning is the solution.

I agree.

Never tried it with tomatoes.

I just grew enough to have `mater sandwiches during the summer.

Then later in the season, the dad blamed birds started pecking holes in the produce. I guess they were looking for water or something.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

When I say that, I mean, how long do you have to grow the things that you want to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously some things do better than others but I'm limited greatly by ground freeze times.  I usually can only grow outdoors safely from mid May to mid / late September.  i'm only successful starting veggies indoors early in March as I mentioned before.   I  am not a huge grower by any means...  Just make enough to supplement meals here n there.  I have the most success with greens and do well with smaller basil, chives, parsley and thyme.   Onion, peppers, cucumbers ets are also tough.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
25 tomato plants.
3 varieties of cukes
blue lake green beans

You are a far braver soul than me.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top