Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/27/2015 2:59:42 AM EDT

Why is it so hard to find a good pilsner beer? I'm not talking Budweiser either. I am talking the Bitburger, Pils Urquell's , etc. Every where I go shelves are loaded with ciders, IPA's, double IPA's, hef's and the sort but finding a good pilsner is like finding a needle in a haystack.

List your favorite pilsners.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:02:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Staropramen.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:06:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils.

Mmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Trumer
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trumer
View Quote

Great Beer hard if not impossible to find outside of CA.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

http://www.beerinfo.com/images/Trumer/TrumerPilsAd.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Trumer

http://www.beerinfo.com/images/Trumer/TrumerPilsAd.jpg

I might be able to pick that one up at our local wine world.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Double tap

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Radeberger
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I've always been fond of Warsteiner premium verum
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#9]
More expensive to make.  Not a lot of micro brews do it due to temperature requirements during brewing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Konig Pilsener (KP)... Best pils.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I can get this year round locally. It's pretty good

This is good too if you can find it
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Ive had that one before and can source it locally.  Its delicious.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Tsingtao is great.  That's a pretty common one.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I feel  your   pain, OP.

I love   a good   pilsner  and they can be hard to find sometimes  amongst all the trendy over hopped  IPAs out there.

Give Lagunitas  a try.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Dogfish Head Piercing Pils, a pear flavored pilsner. not my pic, sorry about the sizing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Southern Tier Eurotrash Pilsner is the best I've had.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
More expensive to make.  Not a lot of micro brews do it due to temperature requirements during brewing.
View Quote

Yup. Many are easily skunked as well.

Here in PA I like troegs sunshine pils.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really? I asked that same question to a few micro brewers. They said it wasn't the temp requirements, it was the amount of time that it would occupy a fermentation tank and that it would cost to much to sell to make a ROI.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#20]
CZ beer is good.
So are their guns.
So are their switchblades.
So are their women ....so ive heard
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Trumer
View Quote

It's not a Trumer.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I was in the middle of boiling my grains when you posted this. It's in the fermenter now and I'll start drinking my pilsner a month from now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I think bud is a lager.

Miller is a pilsner.

But I know what you mean. I always see the hopped up stuff or the super dark / thick stuff that a spoon will stand up in.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why is it so hard to find a good pilsner beer? I'm not talking Budweiser either. I am talking the Bitburger, Pils Urquell's , etc. Every where I go shelves are loaded with ciders, IPA's, double IPA's, hef's and the sort but finding a good pilsner is like finding a needle in a haystack.

List your favorite pilsners.

View Quote

I can find Bitburger at my Co-op, but it's the international edition and not the actual thing the you can get in germany.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Try Kölsch beer!
I make my own, it's a great tasting beer that is warm fermented but then lagered!

Great stuff!

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Urqulles are ny favorite.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Radegast.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Really? I asked that same question to a few micro brewers. They said it wasn't the temp requirements, it was the amount of time that it would occupy a fermentation tank and that it would cost to much to sell to make a ROI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny thing is beers like Budweiser are the same deal. The beer is so expensive to make that most craft brewers can't do it if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I feel  your   pain, OP.

I love   a good   pilsner  and they can be hard to find sometimes  amongst all the trendy over hopped  IPAs out there.

Give Lagunitas  a try.

View Quote

This. Can't beat it as far as near-national availability goes.

Nothing "hop forward" (oh, how I have come to despise that term) about it.

Clean, refreshing, quality beer.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think bud is a lager.

Miller is a pilsner.

But I know what you mean. I always see the hopped up stuff or the super dark / thick stuff that a spoon will stand up in.
View Quote

All Pilsners are Lagers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Firestone Walker Pivo
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Stella, almost any Chech, German, etc.

I haven't found a decent American pilsner.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been a Stella Artois drinker for almost a decade...long before it started showing up here in the States.  It is a spectacular beer.

I remember finding it in Canada in like...2006 maybe?  Had a few too many, in my enthusiasm.  

Then it just started showing up in the States more and more, and now you can get it all over.  I love it!

Clean, crisp without being bitter, refreshing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Purely because of the green bottle that most are packaged in.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I think bud is a lager.

Miller is a pilsner.

View Quote

Bud and Miller are both lagers.

Pilsner is a style of beer that is a lager.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  Lagers take more time to ferment and condition.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Preach it, OP!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Funny thing is beers like Budweiser are the same deal. The beer is so expensive to make that most craft brewers can't do it if they wanted to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Breweries like Bud, Miller, and Coors are incredibly efficient at what they do. I know a brewer at AB in Fort Collins.  He says that it takes 21 days grain to packaging which is much longer than an ale.  They brew a higher gravity beer and then dilute down to around 4.2% ABV (or 3.2% for gas stations & groceries in CO) for packaging.  This allows their yield per time and space to be as high as possible.

They also have incredible purchasing power for raw materials.  

So it's not really expensive for them to make it...Quite the contrary.  From a raw material and labor perspective, ounce for ounce their finished, diluted beer is some of the cheapest to manufacture in the world.

It's expensive when scaled down to a small brewery scale.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Without a doubt ---> Miller Lite...
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

All Pilsners are Lagers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think bud is a lager.

Miller is a pilsner.

All Pilsners are Lagers.

But not all lagers are pilsners.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#41]
When I say pilsner I mean Bavarian/Chech style.  Pilsner Uriquios, Stella, HoffBrau, etc.

I'm going to skull fuck the next waiter that brings me "Belgian pilsner" made in Oregon.  Tastes like a tea of oatmeal, lawnmower clipping and copper pennies. Always served too warm just to reinforce the piss quality.

Stella!  From the country in Europe.  Ice cold in a chilled glass.

Not from Oregon you fucktard!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Classic German Pilsners are very light straw to golden in color. Head should be dense and rich. They are also well-hopped, brewed using Noble hops such has Saaz, Hallertauer, Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, Tettnanger, Styrian Goldings, Spalt, Perle, and Hersbrucker. These varieties exhibit a spicy herbal or floral aroma and flavor, often times a bit coarse on the palate, and distribute a flash of citrus-like zest--hop bitterness can be high.

Style Examples
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When I say pilsner I mean Bavarian/Chech style.  Pilsner Uriquios, Stella, HoffBrau, etc.

I'm going to skull fuck the next waiter that brings me "Belgian pilsner" made in Oregon.  Tastes like a tea of oatmeal, lawnmower clipping and copper pennies. Always served too warm just to reinforce the piss quality.

Stella!  From the country in Europe.  Ice cold in a chilled glass.

View Quote

Just because fucktards over-hop things to mask low quality, doesn't make Stella any better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#44]
My favorite of al time beer in the world is Licher Pilsner , once in a great while they have it in the US, but they seem to always have their hefe weissen available
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:42:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I think bud is a lager.

Miller is a pilsner.

View Quote

Pilsners are Lagers.

Victory Prima Pils, Trumer, Czechvar, Jever, Konig, etc.

There are many good pilsners out there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:42:28 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

When I say pilsner I mean Bavarian/Chech style. Pilsner Uriquios, Stella, HoffBrau, etc.

I'm going to skull fuck the next waiter that brings me "Belgian pilsner" made in Oregon. Tastes like a tea of oatmeal, lawnmower clipping and copper pennies. Always served too warm just to reinforce the piss quality.

Stella! From the country in Europe. Ice cold in a chilled glass.

View Quote

So much truth here. In Seattle there are a metric ton of "micro breweries" even the big ones like Red Hook or Mac & Jack. I go to them and ask for a what they have for a pils. I get a lot of blank stares, shoulder shrugging or comments like "wouldn't you like a stout or IPA instead". "NO GOD DAMNIT! I want a freaking PILSNER! I DO NOT want a glass of something with an orange slice on the side. I want something that a MAN drinks after he just cleared the field of battle. Do you see me wearing skinny jeans with a manicured beard...NO! Do I have a sleeve of shitty tattoo's that make me appear that I have manhood but the wool knit cap takes it all away....NO! I just want a pils, period, nothing else, nothing more than A GOD DAMN PILSNER"! I don't give a crap where its made as long as its a true pils and has that clean, crisp, refreshing taste.

Stella is a good stand by. It can be found at most places on tap and a pilsner on tap is the best pilsner. The day I find Bitberger or Urquell or some of the others mentioned here on tap, I will have found my second home. They will have to forcibly remove me at closing and I will defend it as if it was the gate to a Marine firebase in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:02:31 AM EDT
[#47]
they've already been mentioned, but +1 for Firestone Walker Pivo and Southern Tier Eurotrash
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.....it's not an easy beer to make (it's actually one of the hardest). You can't mask your flaws, with over hopping and/or barrel aging etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:07:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So much truth here. In Seattle there are a metric ton of "micro breweries" even the big ones like Red Hook or Mac & Jack. I go to them and ask for a what they have for a pils. I get a lot of blank stares, shoulder shrugging or comments like "wouldn't you like a stout or IPA instead". "NO GOD DAMNIT! I want a freaking PILSNER! I DO NOT want a glass of something with an orange slice on the side. I want something that a MAN drinks after he just cleared the field of battle. Do you see me wearing skinny jeans with a manicured beard...NO! Do I have a sleeve of shitty tattoo's that make me appear that I have manhood but the wool knit cap takes it all away....NO! I just want a pils, period, nothing else, nothing more than A GOD DAMN PILSNER"! I don't give a crap where its made as long as its a true pils and has that clean, crisp, refreshing taste.

Stella is a good stand by. It can be found at most places on tap and a pilsner on tap is the best pilsner. The day I find Bitberger or Urquell or some of the others mentioned here on tap, I will have found my second home. They will have to forcibly remove me at closing and I will defend it as if it was the gate to a Marine firebase in Afghanistan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I say pilsner I mean Bavarian/Chech style. Pilsner Uriquios, Stella, HoffBrau, etc.

I'm going to skull fuck the next waiter that brings me "Belgian pilsner" made in Oregon. Tastes like a tea of oatmeal, lawnmower clipping and copper pennies. Always served too warm just to reinforce the piss quality.

Stella! From the country in Europe. Ice cold in a chilled glass.

Tell us how you really feel.

I'm going to call some distributors tomorrow and see if I can get a nice one in my place.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's about 80% duration (4 weeks is a short lager),  20% temperature.  In my experience with making lager beers (which do include pilsners),  I have to hog up my fermentation fridge for 4-6 weeks.  If I have room in the beer fridge (bar equipment,  7' wide),  I can finish off the last few weeks in there.  Compare that to the blonde ale that I make at roughly the same ABV which takes five days to complete...  

Temperature only equates to cost.  You can make an ale with little or no temperature control for several months out of the year because ales have a slightly wider range of temperatures to be fermented at,  plus 65°-70° F is a pretty normal temperature to keep your facility at for comfort,  which happens to be the temperature most ale yeasts operate at optimal efficiency.  Lager yeasts typically require 45°-55° temperatures for a duration,  plus two temperature changes for rests and flocculation.  This requires the beer fermentation chamber to be chilled.  When doing thousands of gallons at a time,  this gets expensive,  especially during the summer.  

This is partially where seasonal brews come about.  In older times when magic temperature control wasn't so available,  lagers were created in colder months,  often served in the spring and early summer.  Ales were brewed while it was warm,  served in later summer, fall and early winter.

Edit;  Forgot to recommend a beer.  If you can find Base Camp stuff,  it's all lagers.  They do make a pilsner too.  I was pretty happy with Firestone Walker Hoppy PIls too.  

I gotta call the distributors in the morning to see what they have in kegs for me.  It's time to swap out a few of my empties.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top