Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Almost had to shoot my cousins dog. Was walking home with a .223 bolt gun slung over my shoulder. It charged at me from the bushes out of nowhere. I spun the gun off of my shoulder and yelled at it. It stopped in the ditch about 5 feet away. I had the safety off and finger on the trigger. I all but pulled it before he stopped.
Thank god. Killing a dog in my hometown is highly frowned upon unless it's killing livestock, and I'm sure my cousin would have never believed his poor dog would ever try to bite someone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#2]
In before the trigger happy cop stories....
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]
just coyotes
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've shot more dogs than any cop on this site.  

We raise livestock and people dump dogs out here quite often.  They chase cows.  That's a bad thing.  I have 4 dogs and love them like family, but some dogs just aren't going to make it.
View Quote
Same here.

From 4th-5th grade until I graduated and went off to college I doubt I went a year without having to take care of a "dumped" dog or two.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been doing service  and installation work in people's homes for 25 years, met every kind of bad dog out there, but never had to shoot one. Kicked and punched several!

About 6-7 years ago, I was living on a dead end dirt road out in the country.

I liked to go for a bicycle ride every morning before work.

About half a mile up the road from my place was a home that always left there 3 dogs out loose in the yard.

The leader of that pack chased me every morning, but never actually tried to hurt me, until he finally worked up the nerve to take a chomp on my foot one day.

He didn't hurt me, only put some bite marks on my shoe.

Next day, I packed an airsoft bb pistol, and when he charged me again, I let him get real close and shot him right on top of his noggin.

Dag never chased me again, but he was no worse for the wear.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I kicked one square in the gut and had my knife out before he landed because he was going after my dog (leashed, out for a walk, before WI CCW).  The kick dissuaded him.

I'll do just about anything to avoid killing someone's dog, including risking injury to myself.  Allowing them to endanger mine isn't one of those things.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I had to put a young dog of ours down a few years ago due to issues of aggression with strangers and other male dogs. This dog just "wasn't right" from the very beginning, always had that Cujo look going on. He bit one of our trash guys, once had the mailman bayed against the neighbor's garage door, and the last straw was when he went after the guy who marks the buried utility lines when our neighbors were putting up their new fence.
I shot the dog in the back of its head with my HK P2000 9mm and he died instantly. It was probably the hardest and most horrible thing I've ever had to do and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I even got rid of the P2000 after a while because it made me think of having to kill that dog.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:17:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I've killed more than I can recal. Killed three in one house with my MP5. I love dogs too, handled an insane mal for 5 years. But ufortunately a lot of "dog owners" are not responsible people. I've also been bitten a few times too. That sucks..obviously
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:19:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I've shot many. At least 25 or so over the years. Shot them killing our chickens, chasing our cows, chasing our horses , getting into the trash. We live way out in the sticks

and people from town bring unwanted dogs out here and dump them. Often I have to end up dispatching them. Wish they would do their own dirty work !

Had to shot several of my own after they got sick or injured. Don't like to , but don't believe in paying hundreds or thousand of $$ on vet bills for a dog.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#10]
A heeler I couldn't trust around my daughter, a mutt that decided to run calves at 20 below zero, and a couple of good pets when it was the humane thing to do.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I kicked one square in the gut and had my knife out before he landed because he was going after my dog (leashed, out for a walk, before WI CCW).  The kick dissuaded him.

I'll do just about anything to avoid killing someone's dog, including risking injury to myself.  Allowing them to endanger mine isn't one of those things.
View Quote

That's just dumb.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#12]
When I was in my early teens, I killed a family dog we had. It nipped at my sister a couple of times and had been getting increasingly aggressive. I heard my parents fighting about it, and knew it was going to have to be done. My mom wanted it taken to the vet to be put down, my dad wanted to just take it behind the house and shoot it.

I took it for a long walk the next day when I got home from school. Threw a stick way out in a pond about a mile from my house, the dog swam out to get it, and I put a .223 round through her left eye socket. She died happy.

I hated it at the time, and it still makes me sad - but my little sister didn't get hurt, my dad didn't have to piss off my mom and my mom didn't have to take it to the vet.

My dad asked me if I'd seen the dog shortly after this, I told him I hadn't seen her in a few days but that I was sure she wouldn't be coming back. He was quiet for a second, nodded, and went back to what he was doing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:28:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had to put a young dog of ours down a few years ago due to issues of aggression with strangers and other male dogs. This dog just "wasn't right" from the very beginning, always had that Cujo look going on. He bit one of our trash guys, once had the mailman bayed against the neighbor's garage door, and the last straw was when he went after the guy who marks the buried utility lines when our neighbors were putting up their new fence.
I shot the dog in the back of its head with my HK P2000 9mm and he died instantly. It was probably the hardest and most horrible thing I've ever had to do and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I even got rid of the P2000 after a while because it made me think of having to kill that dog.
View Quote

I wouldn't quite go that far. The gun I used in the above story is sitting on my wife's side of the bed right now. It's a (gasp) Mini-14, and it's never let me down.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's just dumb.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just dumb.

Maybe to you, not to me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:32:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Friend's dog ran off after a hurricane, staggered back a few weeks rabid as fuck and attacked him then ran off again.

The next time I saw him I dropped him with a .308.

Biopsy was positive, but you really didn't need any proof.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Friend's dog ran off after a hurricane, staggered back a few weeks rabid as fuck and attacked him then ran off again.

The next time I saw him I dropped him with a .308.

Biopsy was positive, but you really didn't need any proof.
View Quote

sad, but had to be done. ole yeller
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#17]
got attacked by two dogs who escaped a storage unit place while I was holding the hand of my four year old and carrying my 2 year old on my neck.  on the side of a road with traffic.

I barely had time to get to my glock 23,  I tried to shoot the lead dog in the face, but missed low.   a 40 going off inches from his snout was enough and he decided to unass the place. The second dog decided the first dog flying past him yelping was good enough and also broke off.

had a couple witnesses who came running to help em get the kids down, get them calmed down and get me all collected.  Scared the shi'ite out of me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:37:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Twice in South Africa I almost had to stab a dog with only my Spyderco Delica.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I wouldn't quite go that far. The gun I used in the above story is sitting on my wife's side of the bed right now. It's a (gasp) Mini-14, and it's never let me down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a complicated ordeal. I work 2nd shift and all of these incidents happened during the day while the wife and kids were gone. They kept the dog inside while they were home. So they thought I was exaggerating and blowing things out of proportion when I'd tell them what the dog had done. When I shot him, the family was distraught to say the least. My wife didn't speak to me for a couple weeks and my daughter told me she hated me, I was the most horrible person in world, all that shit. It hurt, I ain't gonna lie. So every time I'd be out shooting the HK, all that shit was entering my mind and I got tired of it and got rid of the gun. I know it sounds drastic and overly dramatic but that was my decision. I'm happy having switched over to Glocks, though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#20]
The one time I would have I was far too young to carry a firearm around town. I was 12 years old or so on my paper route and a big ass German Shepard was chasing my on my bike. Well, it turns out it could run faster than I could ride. It took a chunk of skin off the back of my left ankle. Just a little bit deeper and it would have severed my Achilles tendon.

Over 10 years later I still have the scars and I wince when I think about what could have happened. At that time I wasn't aware of the Achilles tendon and I didn't know why the dog tried to bite me there.  

ETA: And that is the only aggressive dog I have ever encountered to date.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Cane corso 160LB at full charge with mouth open, bad background so I almost took the bite, fortunately for me the dog stopped two feet short
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:44:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes. Jumped my 7' block wall and attacked me and my dog.

Took 3 rounds of 9mm Hydrashock to put it down.
View Quote

You had a thread on that right?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:47:17 AM EDT
[#23]
i never shot any dogs but my pops dropped a few feral dogs that would come up from the creek below out property. they would get in the chicken cages so we had no choice. i had the shitty job of digging the holes and covering them up. from porch to coup was only 70 yards but my dad was a piss poor shot. alot of rounds spent for very few hits. amazed he never hit any chickens.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Myself and another member were out shooting years ago and a nice little pup came up. He had been shot, his dried up intestines were plugging the hole. Anonymous member put the little guy down with a 20 gauge.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Shot a feral pit bull that was rampaging on my farm.

Neighbors dog that was abandoned.

He killed several of my geese and chickens and started growling at me.

Shot it with my m9 several times and it was trying to get away it was injured, I shot it again.

I wasn't happy to do this but after seeing the carcass of my chickens and geese he killed plus their chicks...I was beyond pissed.

My brother and dad thought I was overboard when I was pumping bullets into that evil little monster.

I never bothered to bury it, i just left it there to rot and then after a week I pour heepings of gas and diesel on it and lit it up in a fire.

I'm sorry.....I don't believe I am evil and I love my dogs....but for the sake of sorrowful compassion. DO NOT ABANDON OR DUMP DOGS in rural neighborhoods.

It behooves me on why people come to the rurals to dump trash, dump garbage, furniture and also their pets.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Nope

But their is this GSD that is gonna get over his fence one day. I don't carry out there being right next to my kids school but I do carry a Spyderco Police fully serrated....

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Myself and another member were out shooting years ago and a nice little pup came up. He had been shot, his dried up intestines were plugging the hole. Anonymous member put the little guy down with a 20 gauge.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#28]
A few years ago 2 Staffordshire Terriers came into my yard and killed my daughters kitten in front of her eyes. They had killed other pets and chased other neighbors before this. Many reports made.
Animal control guy made a report and issued a citation for them running loose. The owner was not remorseful and cursed at my wife.

3 days later I was awakened early by my JRT going crazy outside. I went out and the 2 dogs were back and trying to get to my dog by pulling on the fence and one was trying to jump over.
I killed them both with one of my ARs at about 40 feet from the back porch. 55gr softpoints, one each.

Called police. I was cited for firing a weapon in the city limits. It was later dropped.

Thug owners hate me. They have about 6 more pit bull dogs now and 3 thug little girls that are terrorizing my street. Vandalism and loud rude behavior. They are animals out of control as well.

I have shot a few dying dogs to end their suffering. It is never an easy thing to do.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:13:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I had the misfortune of being the person least attached to the most beautiful malamute ever born.

His name was Mossimo, he was 1.5 years old. And he loved to chase all manners of moose and dear and elk.

He ended up tearing a tendon in his knee. He was over 120lb. The surgery was about $1200 and my ex mother in law was willing to pay to get him fixed up.

3 days before the surgery was scheduled, he was limping around and saw a deer. He tore the other knee apart.

He couldn't walk, he was 120 lb of dog that couldn't do anything and the most capable person in the house was my 105lb ex MIL.

I took him out into the front yard, after digging a hole with the backhoe, and put the beautiful animal down. I had bad dreams about  it for weeks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:09:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well, admit it. Purge your guilt.
View Quote

Yep and I'm a cop too..........................

1) Was a chow that attached itself to my left hand on a call. Hit it a couple of times before I shot it.
2) was a pit that had just attacked a 3 year old girl and was standing between her and the paramedics.

No grief from anyone important and no guilt on my mind about either.

J-

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Assisted a friend in putting down his dog once. Learned that 12ga>.357mag for such a task.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:59:05 AM EDT
[#32]
'Had to' or 'got to'?

I drew my pistol once, but the dog changed it's mind and stayed away.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#33]
One of two Jack Russell terriers who previously attacked and injured my cat.

Under a car on my property with a single shot 12ga. and 00 while they had the cat at bay there for the umpteenth time

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, several in fact. We had a feral pack at a hunt club we leased that had defunct orchards on it. The migrant workers that worked the orchards would leave dogs behind when they left and they "packed-up" to the tune of about 30 dogs. They were shot on sight.

Man, there were some big and nasty looking mix breed dogs in that pack, nothing small. It took us a couple of years to exterminate all of them.

The odd thing about it was I never saw or heard  them chase a deer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Neighbor up the street's dog tried to attack mine twice while we were out walking. My dog was on a leash, across the street both times. His wasn't leashed.

Wrote it off as an accident the first time. Would have shot the mutt if I was able to carry here the second.

Called the cops on him instead.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#36]
No, But I've kicked my share of aggressive dogs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:52:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes years ago the neighbors dogs kept getting out and they were aggressive, would run the area terrorizing everyone, seen them chase a guy on a bike, confront another guy walking his dog(guy come running up to my door with a 80lb dog in his arms begging to come in) I called the cops a couple times, first time I told the guy I am like I have very young kids who play in the yard they get out again and I am going to solve this problem, he then threatened to arrest me if that happened I ask him what he expected me to do finally they got out and I called again and the cop who responded wouldn't get out of the cruiser because they were circling the cruiser, cops finally were able to go and knock on the door and got no answer even though I know the owners were home(I seen them pull up) people had no business owning pets.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#38]
The stories of people on their bikes reminds me of an incident that happened when I was in 5-6th grade. Although where our house was semi rural a mile to the north was a nice lake community. When I would ride my bike to school I had to go by the house where "Harry" lived. Harry was a foul tempered GSD, his humans weren't much better and as my dad was the only veterinarian around for miles, clients of my dad.
Harry would run out as you were riding by and bark and nip at you. He had gotten my sister on her calf at one time.
I had to haul ass on my single speed Schwinn and I could usually outrun him.
I got pretty sick of it and asked my dad what to do.
"Thump him" was all he said.
A week or so later I was riding to school and I prepared for the "Thump". I took my bike lock which was about 3' of light chain with a barrel combination lock. It had a good heft swinging at the end of the chain.
I was ready, riding my bike and swinging the chain in a forward circle at my right side.
Here comes Harry, barking and snarling and my first instinct was to pedal faster but then I remembered my dad's words: "Thump him".
The timing was perfect, Harry lunged at the bike just as the chain/lock was starting to arc downward.
"Thwack" right between the eyes and just above. Harry collapsed, his front legs went out from under him and he flat faced into the pavement. The rest of the ride was uneventful.
That evening at dinner my dad says: "The Kennedys brought Harry over today, he had a pretty good cut and knot on his forehead, looks like somebody thumped him pretty good."
I started to smile but then Dad gave me "the look". I got it, this was not something funny, it was something that needed to be done.
A couple of weeks later he asked me if I had anymore problems with Harry.
"Nope, he doesn't even leave the porch now."
He said: "Well that's good, but don't try to cave his head in next time. I don't need the money that bad."
We had a good laugh at that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Almost, a few times.  Never had to though.  Zero guilt if I had.  Dog made the decision, I didn't.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#40]
No but I almost beat my neighbors dog to death with a rake when he charged my daughter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Killed one on my brother's farm in Arkansas, where the rule was that if it had a collar, it was probably a neighbor's dog.  If it didn't have a collar, it was feral and needed to be killed.

I was coming back from doing a little rabbit hunting when I came upon a mutt bitch that was quite obviously ready to welp a litter of pups.  There was no collar on her, and she had a hard time moving because she was so close to giving birth.  Put the 10/22 to the back of her head, and done.

Hated doing it.  Still bugs me years later, but feral animals are a problem around there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Twice have had loose dogs rush me and my leashed dog while walking. Both times I stepped in the way, and yelled NO as dominantly as I could, causing them to retreat. Both times I had my pistol but didn't need to break leather.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Twice. First one was my mothers. First time meeting it. I had just given it a treat and sat down outside on the porch a few minutes later, it came up to me, looked at me and started snarling. It lunged and grabbed my leg, I planted my G26 in its forehead and dropped him.

Second time was while my wife and I were unloading groceries from the car in our driveway. It was the neighbors, it had jumped their fence and eventually roamed up our long driveway through the woods. It came charging at my wife from behind a hedge row. I was on the other side of the car so I had no idea. Luckily my GSD saw it and hammered it before it got to my wife. I heard the snarling, ran to the dogs, grabbed it's back leg to pull it up and away from my dog, then I shot it in the hips twice with my P2000.

Wanna guess the breed?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Had one attack me one evening.  I kicked him under the jaw and he did a 540 degree flip (one full rotation and continued to land on his back.)   He ran off so he didn't get the blade I had in my right hand.  

Was walking a dog w/ my girlfriend at the time and a couple of huge dogs on the way became really aggressive and knocked one of the boards out of a wood fence.  Fortunately he couldn't fit through.  I would have shot him if he had managed to make it through and continue the attack.

Other than that I don't have much problems with animals.  They generally like me and I get along with them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#45]
My yankee transplant neighbors who used to live across the street from me raised Golden Retrievers, they were all fine expect one male, which was a complete asshole dog.  We live in the city limits even though our small neighborhood is well away from town, so there is a leash law here.  Well of course, Mr Yankee thinks its ok to let his dogs roam, and the one male had been aggressive towards other neighbors who called animal control but nothing was done.

So one day after a rare ice storm, I decide to walk my little dog to survey the neighborhood after the ice, and no sooner than I get in the road, stupid yankees asshole  dog comes running toward me barking into the road, and just as I draw, the stupid fucker slips, falls and slides, and then jumps up running away from me like I was the cause of his falling.  He was after me and not my dog I believe.

Another time the dumb fucks beside the yankees also had a Large mutt that came running out, ran around me with the owner chasing it, and went for my dog.  My dog was doing circles around me in his leash with the other dog leaning over my dog with his mouth open.  I drew my .38, and aimed but couldnt get him as she was hovering right over and chasing her dog trying to stop it, which she finally did. She came over and apologized and her dog never got loose again, and the dumb fuck yankees moved back north where they belong.

The End.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Dog was chasing our horses one day.  Didn't shoot it but sent a round a few feet over its back and it beat it back to wherever it came from.  Never saw it again.  Course it could have gone to chasing the neighbors cattle and he does not give warnings.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Almost
A buddy and I were going down the street, just walking and talking.
We passed a woman working in her yard.
Without warning, her GSD came running full speed straight for me.
The dog was just about on me as I cleared the holster with my .357.
The woman called it off and the dog stopped just feet from me.
The woman then started bitching at us for "frightening" her dog.
I told her, another moment and she would have been picking her dead dog up from the curb.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Only one time. Some white trash neighbors had a pit bull that would lunge and jump against their fence enerytime I walked my dog. I wasn't old enough to have a carry permit, so I carried a baseball bat with me. Sure enough the sob got loose and attacked my dog. I split the fuckers head open. No sleep was lost.

Eta.  I FUCKING HATE pit bulls. Any other breed, shooting or striking a death blow would be a last resort. Pits, I shoot first, ask questions later.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#49]
A friend lived on a street where there was an aggressive dog that the owners let run the neighbor hood.
At first the dog would just chase us on bikes, but gradually got more and more bold and aggressive.
The dog got so that he would go into other peoples yards and growl at the people there.

My friends dad worked for the post office and he gave us some HALT, an early form of pepper spray the postmen carried.
One day the dog came after us on our bikes. I sprayed the dog good in the face.
Next thing I saw was the dog trying to wipe his face on the pavement.
A while later we saw the family load the dog into their van, apparently to take it to the vet. We laughed our asses off.

After that day, the dog never left it's yard.
If you rode by the yard on a bike, the dog would run for the back door to be let in.

Another time I spayed a dog and a guy came out and asked me what I did to the dog.
I thought I was going to get yelled at, but when I told him, he replied "Good, that dog deserved it".
It was his neighbor's dog.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
   Another time I spayed a dog and a guy came out and asked me what I did to the dog.
I thought I was going to get yelled at, but when I told him, he replied "Good, that dog deserved it".
It was his neighbor's dog.
View Quote

That's a pretty hardcore thing to do in the middle of the street.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top