Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is Froglube soluble in boiling water?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was the first one to call that Troy and FrogLube sucks years ago.  

I'm at least 2 years ahead of all of you.

I'm a legitimate prophet, I tell ya.  

Why yes, yes it is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you drop it straight into boiling water it will jump right out. You have to start it in cold water and slowly increase the heat.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Been using Breakfree CLP since 1982, when I was issued my first rifle, an M16A1.

Still works great for me.
View Quote

This here, but it was 1981 for me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

froglube is decent at some things, chief among which is that it is non toxic, and doesnt smell like ass. i'd say second is that it doesnt collect every speck of lint/dust/dirt/gritty crap while wearing itall day

I like it, i wont use it on everything, but it has its place. and anyone at all who manages to fill their gun with so much of it that the action locks up is a monumental tard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like i mentioned in another thread a while back, lube tech peaked in the 60's and everything is just reformulated versions of whats come before.

Froglube is all marketing.  veg oils have been around in a long time, and while have some merits, longevity isn't one of them. (I.E. Castor oil in race engines)

froglube is decent at some things, chief among which is that it is non toxic, and doesnt smell like ass. i'd say second is that it doesnt collect every speck of lint/dust/dirt/gritty crap while wearing itall day

I like it, i wont use it on everything, but it has its place. and anyone at all who manages to fill their gun with so much of it that the action locks up is a monumental tard.

It was put on and wiped off, it was a very thin coat. It dried to a sticky film.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI that G96 products are one of only a very few that are approved by the Canadian military for extreme cold weather applications, and I targettarget fully endorse all of their products.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You sound mad.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It was put on and wiped off, it was a very thin coat. It dried to a sticky film.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like i mentioned in another thread a while back, lube tech peaked in the 60's and everything is just reformulated versions of whats come before.

Froglube is all marketing.  veg oils have been around in a long time, and while have some merits, longevity isn't one of them. (I.E. Castor oil in race engines)

then your AR has entirely different issues, or you have no idea what you've done.

ETA: it shouldnt even "dry to a sticky film" it should really feel almost but not quite like bare metal...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You sound mad.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound mad.  

Oh no.  I'm just looking for a proven method to clean and lube my pistols and thought you might have some info.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been using frog lube for years on all my rifles.  I have never had a problem with it.

*shrugs*
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Oh no.  I'm just looking for a proven method to clean and lube my pistols and thought you might have some info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sound mad.  

I have reported your post for anti-Canadian racism.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
CLP is good stuff. Other than some grease on my 1911 rails, it's all I use.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
CLP is good stuff. Other than some grease on my 1911 rails, it's all I use.

Exactly what I use, too. CLP and gun grease.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you drop it straight into boiling water it will jump right out. You have to start it in cold water and slowly increase the heat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound mad.  

Again?

Stop it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Obviously you failed to follow the instructions or sacrifice the goat properly during the lubrication ritual.
View Quote

I am sure he was going to sacrifice the goat, but then he noticed how cute it was and asked her if she was attached. When she said, "Nahhhhhhhhh..." that's all it took.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good to know. Reminds me a need a better way of dealing with the Mobile 1 than sticking my finger in the quart bottle.

Pour it in the cap then use your fingers

Buy something like this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-3-8-oz-storage-bottles-with-twist-caps-66170.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/895165/baker-gun-oil-bottle-with-needle-tip-2-oz

With Prime.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EXPCC9A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Add this to the cart if you want to be able to spray your bottled oil, too--

http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Aluminum-Olive-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV

I find it really handy.

Anyway, I just use break free and eds red. Seems fine to me, but I'm not really dynamically operating with my platform in a hostile environment, engaging tangos, or anything.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been switching between two products. Rand CLP and Stihl Ultra synthetic two-stroke oil. When I run out of Rand I'll just use the Stihl. It is a full synthetic and is designed to work in a combustion chamber. I actually think that the bolt tail and bolt carrier bore stay cleaner when I use the Stihl Ultra.
View Quote

I have some of that.

Is it better than mobile 1?
View Quote

I haven't used Mobil 1, even though that is what is in my truck. I believe the Stihl Ultra to be a better choice because it was formulated to help keep the top end/combustion chamber clean in two-stroke and the Stihl 4-mix engines. I see a similarity of conditions in the BCG of the AR platform. I know the insides of my saws stay much cleaner since I switched to Ultra.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Full synthetic motor oil does everything those expensive oils at the gun stores do, and costs way less per fl oz.  

People take this shit way too seriously. All your doing is applying a liquid that makes the surface slippery so the parts move freely. IT'S SIMPLE.
View Quote

Nailed it. End of thread.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Froglube is crap.  

I learned same as you.  I tried buying it so my wife wouldnt complain about the smell.  
View Quote

G96
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#20]
So navy seal roller coaster cannon lube doesn't live up to the hype? You don't say?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Gummed up the striker channel in my wife's Nano rendering it inoperable.  That little slide was a bitch to get off with my big meat hooks.  I assume it gummed up inside my Mossberg 500's bolt.  Can't get the fucker apart, but it was put away clean and is now inoperable.  I still have a full bottle of Froglube that will only be used as an exterior protectant until it's gone.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

then your AR has entirely different issues, or you have no idea what you've done.

ETA: it shouldnt even "dry to a sticky film" it should really feel almost but not quite like bare metal...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what it is supposed to do, but it did not do it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I put Mobile one in a breakfree clp bottle.  Also sometimes use breakfree clp when I cant find my mobile one in my gun junk. Frog Lube looks like muzzleloading bore butter just repackaged.
View Quote

No man! It was invented by seals. seals!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#25]
LOL my daughter just came and asked why is there a gun in the freezer. I said its a new thing called a freezer gun, in case we are working the the garage, and get attacked.

Any way. just pulled it out and snapped a piece of primed brass. Nice strike and functions fine..
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yup...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been using Breakfree CLP since 1989, when I was issued my first rifle, an M16A2.

Still works great for me.
Yup...  

Same here, never understand trying to reinvent the wheel, most are garbage or trying to solve a problem that didnt exist
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have been switching between two products. Rand CLP and Stihl Ultra synthetic two-stroke oil. When I run out of Rand I'll just use the Stihl. It is a full synthetic and is designed to work in a combustion chamber. I actually think that the bolt tail and bolt carrier bore stay cleaner when I use the Stihl Ultra.
View Quote

Rand is sunflower oil IIRC. Gummed up in about 30-days when I tried it. To their credit they will tell you what it made from unlike frog lube.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Did you heat up the surface before applying it?
It makes a big difference

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you heat up the surface before applying it?
It makes a big difference

I don't know what my son did.

On my AR I did and the same thing happened, but it took 6 month and it was cold soaked..

How does heating the metal change anything? Maybe I did not heat it enough?

I simply do not buy that it soaks into the pores of the metal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm using Yamalube 2R on the bolt and inside the carrier. I can really tell a difference when I tear down  2 stroke dirt bike and pwc engines using it. pistons, power valves are wet and carbon cleans easily. the BCG is basically a combustion chamber inside so I thought I'd give it a try. I use it in all my 2 stroke lawn equiptment also so I haven't tried any of the small engine 2 stroke oils so the Stihl Ultra may be similar
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
LOL my daughter just came and asked why is there a gun in the freezer. I said its a new thing called a freezer gun, in case we are working the the garage, and get attacked.

Any way. just pulled it out and snapped a piece of primed brass. Nice strike and functions fine..
View Quote

I think it dries out and the water in it, evaporates, since it is water soluble

I had no issues using frog lube and then shooting it right after. In fact I liked how easy the carbon came off.

But sitting in the safe for 3 months, I think it dried out and left a sticky film.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Heat up the gun, apply, excess comes off and wipe with a microfiber clothe. Leaves a nice sheen.

While it can pool up in the corners, I have no idea how you all are getting these horrendous issues.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Heat up the gun, apply, excess comes off and wipe with a microfiber clothe. Leaves a nice sheen.

While it can pool up in the corners, I have no idea how you all are getting these horrendous issues.

View Quote

Have you applied it and left it in the safe for 3 months and then tried to shoot it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm using Yamalube 2R on the bolt and inside the carrier. I can really tell a difference when I tear down  2 stroke dirt bike and pwc engines using it. pistons, power valves are wet and carbon cleans easily. the BCG is basically a combustion chamber inside so I thought I'd give it a try. I use it in all my 2 stroke lawn equiptment also so I haven't tried any of the small engine 2 stroke oils so the Stihl Ultra may be similar
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yamalube 2R is great oil, I've burned a bunch of it myself. It is a semi-synthetic vs. the Stihl Ultra being full synthetic. My YZ250 cylinder head and Powervalves stayed very clean when running 2R. That is why I think two-stroke oil is good for the AR.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Have you applied it and left it in the safe for 3 months and then tried to shoot it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had with an AR that I needed to sight in with a new carry handle after sitting the safe for months. Worked fine. Cleaned it right there at the range with no issues. The gun was hot, wiped it down, did a little touch ups and back in the safe. It doesn't feel gummy or sticky but none pooled in any areas and cool.

I think some people are greasing their guns like some sort of small engine. A little in the right spots and a general wipe down is fine for the AR. You can get the same problem with too much lithium grease.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have a rifle in the back of my vehicle, been there for two years, one application of frog lube

in those two years it has seen extreme highs and temps as low as -30, the rifle always works

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a rifle in the back of my vehicle, been there for two years, one application of frog lube

in those two years it has seen extreme highs and temps as low as -30, the rifle always works

Well something is different.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Five years ago, after reading about it on the Internet, I bought a quart of Mobil 1 to see how it worked as gun lube.

Still working on that same quart, and I've used nothing else.  I use it on all my pistols and rifles every time I clean them.  I filled several squeeze bottles and keep one in my range bag, one in each rifle case, and one in the buttstock of my 20" BCM.

Works like a charm and CHEAP.  I've spent $6 on gun oil for half a decade. I might not have to buy gun oil again until 2020.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

yep.....

all of this. afaik, heating doesnt really do much, other than making it somewhat more fluid for application. it probably soaks a little better into phosphate, but it wont do much on NiB or chrome i think.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I had no issues using frog lube and then shooting it right after. In fact I liked how easy the carbon came off.

But sitting in the safe for 3 months, I think it dried out and left a sticky film.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's the Lucas Extreme stuff..
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#43]
This stuff works great.  You can use it on your hair -OR- your guns.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Has always worked for me too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Yup.

Hoppe's No.9 for the bore, Breakfree CLP for everything else. This has been my combo since I was 11 (The age my father started making me clean my own guns), and I've never had any issues.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is the possibility that over lubing an AR can exist (to an extent). ARs don't chug oil. They can, but I see no benefit in dumping a quart of 5W30 as opposed to a light lubing and sheen coat on the parts which you can do with any lube.

Look at the Box of Truth and how O_P cleans/lubes an AR. Nothing excessive, nothing wet. Hit the key spots, leave a light coating, and go shooting.

The only reason I heat up the guns for the FL is to get the excess off. No magic metal pores or alchemy going on. Just keeping it simple.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
FYI that G96 products are one of only a very few that are approved by the Canadian military for extreme cold weather applications, and I targettarget fully endorse all of their products.  
View Quote

I will say that the G96 cold blue paste is great and works as it should. Works great for small areas since it's a paste and can be applied without it going where it isn't supposed to. Blends well to the surrounding blued finish too. Never used any of their lube products though...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There is the possibility that over lubing an AR can exist (to an extent). ARs don't chug oil. They can, but I see no benefit in dumping a quart of 5W30 as opposed to a light lubing and sheen coat on the parts which you can do with any lube.    

Look at the Box of Truth and how O_P cleans/lubes an AR. Nothing excessive, nothing wet. Hit the key spots, leave a light coating, and go shooting.

The only reason I heat up the guns for the FL is to get the excess off. No magic metal pores or alchemy going on. Just keeping it simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That I can buy. I am pretty sure I let it soak in before wiping it off and likely let it cool, so more stayed on.

I was thinking it needed to be warm to put on, not to take off.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#50]
I use CLP for cleaning, cleaning LPKs, light lubing, everywhere, etc.  Great stuff

I use Slip200EWL for bolts/actions/heavy lubing

I'm playing with Fireclean and like it so far

Haven't tried Mobil1 on my guns but it works great in my cars!

Froglube is mint flavored crisco
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top